The Wuhan virus—how are we doing? - Page 70 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
#15140670
@Doug64
If Kuehl doesn’t believe what she said about how dangerous outdoor dining is—and she clearly doesn’t or she wouldn’t have done it—I see no reason why those she rules over should believe her, either.


What a very foolish way to think. Typical of Trump'ets but very foolish.
#15140699
Annnnd we got another one:

S.F. Mayor London Breed had her own French Laundry party — the night after Gavin Newsom’s
Gov. Gavin Newsom is in good company when it comes to politicians attending fancy birthday parties while encouraging others to avoid gathering.

It turns out San Francisco Mayor London Breed dined at the French Laundry the night after Newsom’s infamous, ill-advised, mid-pandemic soiree at the three-star Michelin restaurant in Yountville.

Breed took a few days off after election day and joined seven others the night of Nov. 7 to celebrate socialite Gorretti Lo Lui’s 60th birthday, Breed’s spokesman Jeff Cretan confirmed. The party of eight dined in the same kind of partially enclosed room with a ceiling and chandelier as Newsom did — making it more of an indoor dining experience than an outdoor one.

Cretan characterized the occasion as a “small family birthday dinner,” but it’s unclear exactly who else attended and how many households the group included.

While indoor dining was allowed in Napa County at the time with no specified limit on the number of households, the state’s guidelines “strongly discouraged” social gatherings and capped them at three households. Breed’s dinner at an opulent restaurant — amid an economic catastrophe that’s shuttered countless small businesses and stretched the lines at local food banks to new lengths — might not have technically violated the rules, but it isn’t a great look.

The dinner would have certainly violated San Francisco’s health guidelines if it took place in Breed’s own city. San Francisco has issued stricter guidance than the state for several types of businesses, including restaurants, which were not supposed to seat groups larger than six indoors or outdoors unless everyone lived together. Three days after dining at the French Laundry, Breed banned indoor dining in San Francisco altogether.

“I cannot emphasize enough how important it is that everyone act responsibly to reduce the spread of the virus,” Breed said in a statement Nov. 10. “Every San Franciscan needs to do their part so that we can start moving in the right direction again.”

It’s just the latest example of a politician not exactly practicing what they keep preaching. When Newsom attended his French Laundry dinner for lobbyist Jason Kinney’s 50th birthday, the party of 12 certainly included more than three households. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi got her hair done in San Francisco while salons were ordered closed.

San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo told people to avoid big gatherings for Thanksgiving, but attended his elderly parents’ holiday dinner in Saratoga with other relatives from five households. Los Angeles County Supervisor Sheila Kuehl voted to ban outdoor dining last week — and hours later was spotted dining outside at an Italian restaurant in Santa Monica.

Newsom attended French Laundry party with more households than...
It’s enough to make some residents wonder why they’re following the rules if the people setting them aren’t.

Jessica Levinson, a professor of political ethics at Loyola Law School, said the hypocrisy displayed by these politicians is astounding — particularly because the rules they’re supposed to be abiding by aren’t that difficult to follow.

“It’s not that hard to opt out of a birthday party at the French Laundry,” she said. “It’s not asking people to storm the beaches of Normandy. It’s just stay home and get takeout and celebrate holidays over Zoom.”

Jason McDaniel, an associate professor of political science at San Francisco State University, said Breed’s poorly considered dinner comes at a particularly bad time as she is likely to place more restrictions on residents and businesses this week to curb an alarming spike in coronavirus cases. Successfully driving down case rates requires residents to trust her decisions, he said.

“Any increase in cynicism about our political leaders right now can potentially be costly,” he said. “Our elected leaders should hold themselves to a higher standard. The mayor and the governor before her failed to meet that higher standard.”

Cretan said the mayor paid for her own dinner and emphasized that indoor and outdoor dining were allowed in Napa and San Francisco counties at the time. He said Breed dined at a number of restaurants when the coronavirus case rate was lower to support them financially.

“Now, with case rates rising, and Bay Area counties moving back into the purple tier, she is once again limiting her actions and is encouraging all San Franciscans to do the same,” he said.

Lui is the vice president of the San Francisco Symphony’s Board of Governors and a member of the Asian Art Commission, which consists of 27 members nominated by other commissioners but subject to the mayor’s approval. Her husband, Lawrence Lui, is the president of Stanford Hotels and a hotel developer who in 2018 broke ground on the Marriott SOMA Mission Bay Hotel. His father is Hong Kong billionaire Che-woo Lui.

Gorretti and Lawrence Lui regularly appear on the city’s social circuit.
#15140702
Many Christians do not follow the rules of Christianity.

If hypocrisy on the part of the supporters of a message means that the message itself is wrong, then this means that Christianity is wrong because many Christians are hypocrites.
#15140715
A Christian who is not wearing a mask is a hypocrite.

I see @Doug64 has posted one of his dangerous and and frankly pointless posts. Perhaps he is just incapable of understanding just how unintelligent posing this kind of hypocrisy makes the one posting it look.

But Mooooom. The other kids get to run with scissors. Billy's mom runs with scissors. Wahhhhhh.
#15140717
Pants-of-dog wrote:Many Christians do not follow the rules of Christianity.

If hypocrisy on the part of the supporters of a message means that the message itself is wrong, then this means that Christianity is wrong because many Christians are hypocrites.


Not so. Christ Himself said that many ''Christians'' would not follow Christian belief and practice; ''Many are called, but few are chosen''.

It is an act of social love for one's neighbor to do what has to be done to contain a plague killing many thousands of people; this Satanism of refusing to do what is right for one's neighbor is not supported by Scripture or by the Fathers in any way, shape, or form. It is rather an Anti-Christian sentiment that would seem to come more from the selfishness of an Ayn Rand or some form of eugenicist social darwinism than anything else.
#15140718
I think we can agree that Christianity is true (or for the atheists, many of the messages are true) even if many Christians are hypocrites.

By the same logic, avoiding restaurants is a good way to avoid Covid, and this is true even if the person who says this is sitting in a restaurant when they say it.
#15140746
@annatar1914
Not so. Christ Himself said that many ''Christians'' would not follow Christian belief and practice; ''Many are called, but few are chosen''.

It is an act of social love for one's neighbor to do what has to be done to contain a plague killing many thousands of people; this Satanism of refusing to do what is right for one's neighbor is not supported by Scripture or by the Fathers in any way, shape, or form. It is rather an Anti-Christian sentiment that would seem to come more from the selfishness of an Ayn Rand or some form of eugenicist social darwinism than anything else.


Every single word of this true.

Every single person who does not do whatever they can to protect their neighbor from this plague is a disgrace. Christians even more so.
#15140753
U.S. Covid Cases Found as Early as December 2019, Says Study

Testing has found Covid-19 infections in the U.S. in December 2019, according to a study, providing further evidence indicating the coronavirus was spreading globally weeks before the first cases were reported in China.

The study published Monday identified 106 infections from 7,389 blood samples collected from donors in nine U.S. states between Dec. 13 and Jan. 17. The samples, collected by the American Red Cross, were sent to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for testing to detect if there were antibodies against the virus.
#15140826
Doug64 wrote:If Kuehl doesn’t believe what she said about how dangerous outdoor dining is—and she clearly doesn’t or she wouldn’t have done it—I see no reason why those she rules over should believe her, either.

Michael Snyder wrote:After This New Wave Of Lockdowns,
Most People Will Accept Any "Solution" Because They'll Be So Desperate


When people become desperate enough, those in power can get most of them to do just about anything. The first wave of lockdowns knocked us into the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression of the 1930s, it sent suicide rates soaring all over the globe, and it plunged millions upon millions of ordinary citizens into a deep state of despair. Now another wave of lockdowns is being instituted all over the planet, and this is going to perfectly set the stage for the “solutions” that the elite plan to offer all of us in 2021. ...


The lockdowns are having the effect of concentrating all leftover wealth into the hands of the 1%. This concentration of wealth into the hands of the 1% also took place in the late 20s before the last Depression.

In both cases, the rich steal all the money just before the Capitalism hits the fan.

And the elite will also have a surveillance state in order to make sure that "all the new poors" can't do anything to improve their sorry lot.
#15140877
By the way, to the Europe and US handled the pandemic really badly compared to the rest of the world crowd:

Why is Russia, China and NK trying to steal our vaccine information and methods of distributions? If they handled it so well then why do they need it if they have their own vaccines and not that many cases in the first especially for China? :lol:

Or perhaps Europe and US is just, you know, transparent while a lot of other places are simply not.
#15140892
JohnRawls wrote:...(we) handled the pandemic really badly compared to ...

....(countries x,y and z) trying to steal *our* vaccine information... why do *they* need it if *they* have *their own* vaccines... (country x)? :lol:
... (we) transparent while a lot of other places (x,y and x)...


In conclusion, we must win against them, us vs them, we vs they, ours vs theirs - Them them yuck! We we yum!

Compete!

Don't cooperate!

Your masters need you to compete with other humans so that they can clean up after you've been damaged by the pointless struggle they sent you on. Go team go! Your team owners are sitting in the bulletproof lodges above you eating organic caviar.
#15140988
Image

annatar1914 wrote:Not so. Christ Himself said that many ''Christians'' would not follow Christian belief and practice; ''Many are called, but few are chosen''.

It is an act of social love for one's neighbor to do what has to be done to contain a plague killing many thousands of people; this Satanism of refusing to do what is right for one's neighbor is not supported by Scripture or by the Fathers in any way, shape, or form. It is rather an Anti-Christian sentiment that would seem to come more from the selfishness of an Ayn Rand or some form of eugenicist social darwinism than anything else.

But there's the question of what must be done to contain the plague. If public officials are unwilling to live by the rules they demand everyone else follow, then they clearly don't believe that obedience to those rules is necessary. And if they don't believe their own rhetoric, why should we?

I'm sure by now everyone's heard about the Supreme Court's ruling on New York's restrictions on church attendance. Sean Trend points out that the ruling isn't as new or expansive as some (on both sides) have said. Check out the column for more details, but this is the nub:

    As others have pointed out, houses of worship have been the locus of multiple superspreading events, although, the court notes, not with Catholic congregations in New York City. But what the court is saying at this point is emphatically not that public health officials must overlook this danger in churches. Instead, the court essentially says, because of the First Amendment concerns, churches are essential businesses. Therefore, to be a neutral law the state much treat churches in the same way as were other essential businesses, especially when other essential businesses that are allowed to set their own occupancy rates have been the sites of COVID outbreaks.

And in other news, the Resistance continues to build:

Beverly Hills City Council Votes to Oppose LA County's Outdoor Dining Ban

Colorado Merchants Defy COVID-Closure Order

Edited to add: For those that didn't bother to look, here's the chart of the percentages by age of the total death rate from February to September:

Image
#15141021
Doug64 wrote:Annnnd we got another one:
**celeb or politico "caught" enjoying the company of another human**

These stories of 'dangerous liasons' between famous people and other humans are a cautionary tale about the importance of "not having social relations unless they can be surveilled online."

How to save our corrupt elite just before the Capitalism hit the fan. Medical dictatorship in 10... 9... 8...
#15141026
Doug64 wrote:Image


But there's the question of what must be done to contain the plague. If public officials are unwilling to live by the rules they demand everyone else follow, then they clearly don't believe that obedience to those rules is necessary. And if they don't believe their own rhetoric, why should we?

I'm sure by now everyone's heard about the Supreme Court's ruling on New York's restrictions on church attendance. Sean Trend points out that the ruling isn't as new or expansive as some (on both sides) have said. Check out the column for more details, but this is the nub:

    As others have pointed out, houses of worship have been the locus of multiple superspreading events, although, the court notes, not with Catholic congregations in New York City. But what the court is saying at this point is emphatically not that public health officials must overlook this danger in churches. Instead, the court essentially says, because of the First Amendment concerns, churches are essential businesses. Therefore, to be a neutral law the state much treat churches in the same way as were other essential businesses, especially when other essential businesses that are allowed to set their own occupancy rates have been the sites of COVID outbreaks.

And in other news, the Resistance continues to build:

Beverly Hills City Council Votes to Oppose LA County's Outdoor Dining Ban

Colorado Merchants Defy COVID-Closure Order

Edited to add: For those that didn't bother to look, here's the chart of the percentages by age of the total death rate from February to September:

Image


Dude, in 50 more days the US will have more COVID deaths than Japan, Germany and co managed to kill during WW2. :knife:
#15141031
JohnRawls wrote:By the way, to the Europe and US handled the pandemic really badly compared to the rest of the world crowd:

Why is Russia, China and NK trying to steal our vaccine information and methods of distributions? If they handled it so well then why do they need it if they have their own vaccines and not that many cases in the first especially for China? :lol:

Or perhaps Europe and US is just, you know, transparent while a lot of other places are simply not.


Because those other countries are lying through their fucking teeth, and you have to a dumbass to believe what these authoritarian gutter governments say about how well they have handled everything.

Anyone that believes China's numbers is straight up a fucking moron.

It's so bizarre that people think these shit governments have the magic solution or whatever. :lol:
#15141034
Rancid wrote:Anyone that believes China's numbers is straight up a fucking moron.
I have a friend(along with his family) teaching and living in China, not 300 km from Wuhan. I believe Fasces also lives in China. The numbers are pretty accurate, but I guess it's not good because it makes Western governments look like shit, eh? ;)

I suppose Taiwan and South Korea are lying, as well?

Thailand must be lying too, right?

I did visit a hospital a week ago for a exam for renewing my license. No Covid-19 in the hospital, although I noticed they seem to be allowing medical marijuana, now.
#15141036
JohnRawls wrote:Dude, in 50 more days the US will have more COVID deaths than Japan, Germany and co managed to kill during WW2. :knife:

Yes, historically speaking pandemics do that. Your point is?
#15141039
Godstud wrote: I have a friend(along with his family) teaching and living in China, not 300 km from Wuhan. I believe Fasces also lives in China. The numbers are pretty accurate, but I guess it's not good because it makes Western governments look like shit, eh? ;)

I suppose Taiwan and South Korea are lying, as well?

Thailand must be lying too, right?

I did visit a hospital a week ago for a exam for renewing my license. No Covid-19 in the hospital, although I noticed they seem to be allowing medical marijuana, now.


To know if they are lying we would have to pick apart exactly how they are counting. All governments are counting cases and death different.

That said, I'd bet a ton of cash that China and RUssia are lying mother fuckers. China in particular has proven itself as unreliable given they covered up so much early on (recent report further supports this). They lie about their economic data as well, why should anyone believe what they say about covid?
#15141041
Rancid wrote:Because those other countries are lying through their fucking teeth, and you have to a dumbass to believe what these authoritarian gutter governments say about how well they have handled everything.

Anyone that believes China's numbers is straight up a fucking moron.

It's so bizarre that people think these shit governments have the magic solution or whatever. :lol:

While I agree that you have to be a blinkered idiot to believe any numbers put out by a totalitarian/authoritarian regime without independent verification, from what I’ve read there is some evidence that East Asians have a greater immunity to this sort of disease than the rest of the world. That would make sense if they’ve been more regularly exposed to them than the rest of us, a toned down version of what smallpox and other European diseases did to the Americas when they got loose here.
#15141042
Doug64 wrote:While I agree that you have to be a blinkered idiot to believe any numbers put out by a totalitarian/authoritarian regime without independent verification, from what I’ve read there is some evidence that East Asians have a greater immunity to this sort of disease than the rest of the world. That would make sense if they’ve been more regularly exposed to them than the rest of us, a toned down version of what smallpox and other European diseases did to the Americas when they got loose here.


I recall reading something like that too. I'd imagine that is going to take many more years of research to verify. Even if this is true, I'd still bet China is lying like fucking hell (they have already been shown to have lied about this).

None the less, that is a fair point, assuming it gets further verified in the future.


Sidenote:
No one finds it odd that Dr. Li, the Wuhan wistleblower died of covid? A healthy young man in his mid 30s? This is my tin pot hat conspiracy theory, but I think the government killed him.
  • 1
  • 68
  • 69
  • 70
  • 71
  • 72
  • 80

hmmm, i was excited there for a moment when navaln[…]

January 24, Saturday The soggy Army of the Poto[…]

I suppose it can use the American GPS. No need. […]

It's based on biology. Come back to me in a few ye[…]