Trump orders withdrawal of US troops from Somalia - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

@Crantag

Ohh yeah, there are basically parts of the US where the people literally live like they are in a third world country. That's no exaggeration. Not at all. A lot of these people are invisible to more privileged people like myself for example. Main reason why I became aware of just how bad some of the conditions people live is because I did a short stint as a police officer many years ago before moving on to better paying job at the time that was actually in my field that I studied in college (before I served in Afghanistan). I saw conditions that people live under right here in the U.S. that many people just wouldn't believe.

But as a cop you see the ills of society and the problems that are hidden from society. See, I am very privileged and I know it. I am lucky. A lot of the conditions some people live under fosters a vicious cycle of crime and poverty that gets passed on from generation to generation. You know it's a vicious cycle. It requires that we as a society come together to help break this vicious cycle that people find themselves in so they can live a better life instead of a life in dysfunctional living, poverty and incarceration.
Politics_Observer wrote:@Crantag

Ohh yeah, there are basically parts of the US where the people literally live like they are in a third world country. That's no exaggeration. Not at all. A lot of these people are invisible to more privileged people like myself for example. Main reason why I became aware of just how bad some of the conditions people live is because I did a short stint as a police officer many years ago before moving on to better paying job at the time that was actually in my field that I studied in college (before I served in Afghanistan). I saw conditions that people live under right here in the U.S. that many people just wouldn't believe.

But as a cop you see the ills of society and the problems that are hidden from society. See, I am very privileged and I know it. I am lucky. A lot of the conditions some people live under fosters a vicious cycle of crime and poverty that gets passed on from generation to generation. You know it's a vicious cycle. It requires that we as a society come together to help break this vicious cycle that people find themselves in so they can live a better life instead of a life in dysfunctional living, poverty and incarceration.

Bro, I've lived in a second world country (China) and lived larger than I live now. Last night the tarp that alleviates some of the leaking rain in my RV got dislodged in the storm. I was laid down and sleeping, whence the water started dripping on me, and I fucked off to the hard cold floor. That's not even a China endorsement, I just say go there if you like it or whatever. I drove to town this morning and saw plenty of homeless. It's fine, I'm fine, but the shit around where I live, it looks like a "third world country" to me. Maybe even a "fourth world country" sometimes. (That's a real term, and if you don't know it, then you are a dumbass and not me. I don't like these terms, but we'll go on and use them. 4th world were like Zaire and shit, the 2nd World's version of our 3rd world (second world being the Soviets and their not-super-poor allies, like I don't know, Hungry?)).

Can I start a cultural revolution here by the way? These land owners piss me off.

(Nah, not really, but I do support burning the banks.)
Politics_Observer wrote:@Crantag

Bro, keep speeking the truth. I don't want to cheapen anything you have to say.

Here was my train of thought though, lol, just hope you like my joke, I respect cops that actually take the oath seriously and shit, and I have very high esteem for military veterans, including my relatives and my older brother, etc. Thanks, bro.

Politics_Observer wrote:because I did a short stint as a police officer many years ago

@Crantag

I never really wanted to be a police officer. At the time, I did it because I needed a job and couldn't find a job in my field of study of Computer Science after I had just freshly graduated college. It was after the dot.com bubble burst and everybody wanted you to have years of experience programming along with a college degree before they would even consider hiring you. I didn't have any experience in programming at the time, just a degree.

The police department I worked for doesn't even exist anymore given that particular city police department was consolidated into the County Sheriff department. One of my buddies was a cop with that department (the city police department before it was consolidated into the County Sheriff's department) at the time and told me his department was hiring, so I applied and they put through a very thorough background check. They polygraphed me and everything, mental health screening, all kinds of crazy trash. I also had to go through their police academy which was like boot camp except you got to go home at the end of the day.

It's a tough job being a police officer. Not easy. I survived though, by using my wits and my mouth. Your mouth can get you into a lot of trouble or it can get you out of a lot of trouble. I used my mouth in many cases when dealing with some crazy calls to calm and de-escalate the situation and keep myself out of trouble. If you ever have to use force as a cop, then you have already lost. Your face could be plastered all over TV and their could be political pressure coming down to throw you under the bus in the event you have to use force depending on the situation and circumstance.

Especially today with everybody having a smart phone. So,even as a cop, it pays to "win without fighting." During my brief time as a police officer, smart phones were not prevalent. You have to have a lot of street smarts as a cop. Most police are people like anybody else and just want to go home alive to their families. You got cool cops out there. Then you have some cops who like to bully and might go on a power trip. Every police officer is different and has a different personality. It's also about your own attitude when you have a police encounter.

You want to be respectful and have a good attitude even if you get a ticket. Getting a ticket is not the end of the world. Generally, after my time working as a police officer when I got a ticket from a cop, I always kept a good attitude and then later on hired a lawyer to fight the ticket to keep the ticket off my driving record. It's always better to go into a courtroom with a lawyer than to roll the dice and go in there without one.

The court will always ask the cop who gave you the ticket if you had an attitude problem with that cop. If the cop says you did, then the court will not help you even if you do go in with a lawyer. But if he says you had a good attitude and you go in there with a lawyer, the court will have you take some kind of course and keep the ticket off your driving record so it won't increase your insurance rates. So it pays to keep a good attitude with a police officer.

I eventually found a job in my field of Computer Science that paid much better at the time and so I resigned from my position as a police officer and went to the new job. I prefer not to work in law enforcement but if I have to because that's the only job available to me, I will. But only as a last resort. You still have to work and pay the bills.

EU is not prepared on nuclear war, but Russia,[…]

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]