The Wuhan virus—how are we doing? - Page 76 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Your "data" is virtually meaningless. That you are not trained or educated to know that, I suppose, is not your fault. That you keep posting it as a mere trolling device is just pathetic. But oh so typically right wing.
I don't know an epidemiologist who IS a Trump supporter and I know a whole ton of them.

Doug has obviously googled "epidemiologist" which, by his standards, and the standards of the right in America, makes him an expert.

20 years of school works for me.
Doug64 wrote:@late, “reinvent the wheel,” how, exactly? I just take the data readily available, pull out the nations/states for Europe and the United States with a few more tossed in, and rank them according to deaths per million with columns for deaths per million over the last week and how much each has increased or decreased, plus how it compares to the average flu season (devastatingly, for the most part). Don’t you think that’s kinda necessary for seeing the overall picture?

We have pointed out how your methodology does not work.

For example, you still have not provided evidence that the flu numbers you are using are confirmed cases rather than estimated cases.

Also, your bizarre idea that you should compare red states and blue states makes no sense. We already know that places that supported Trump have higher rates of infection and death, all other things being equal.
Drlee wrote:I don't know an epidemiologist who IS a Trump supporter and I know a whole ton of them.

Doug has obviously googled "epidemiologist" which, by his standards, and the standards of the right in America, makes him an expert.

20 years of school works for me.

Shut up nerd. Trump forever.

Booger, wearing his "Who Farted?" shirt: Trump! Trump! Trump! Trump!
I think that if the GOP had a coup the funniest part of it is that Trump continues to be president, but also we give you nothing. No $2,000 Covid check. Literally, nothing changes except Orange Caesar crosses the Rube-icon and lies to you and tells you that he's winning.

Meanwhile, South American countries that we have literally couped look at us and rightly judge us as idiots for couping ourselves and geting nothing for our people with our dumbassed soft handed baby revolution.

Trump supporters are fucking retards.
Like, there's no polite way to put it. If you think a man who dunks his face in fake tan juice and wraps his combover around his head like he's, quite literally, doing a half-Windsor tie knot around his head is your hero then you're literally retarded. You're a dumb fucking idiot baby. You're an idiot, and a fascist, and I think you're a walking turd golem who is incapable of human speech and just walks toward things that make racist sounds. I literally have no respect for you as a person, and I think you are lesser than dirt if these are the political decisions that you have weighed and come to.

Eat shit, Trump supporters. I hate Biden but he's getting sworn in. The only way I can show you the absolute lack of respect I have for you and your beliefs is to take a shit on the moon and let the vacuum of space suck the shit out of my ass, record it, and then post the video on Instagram.
Pants-of-dog wrote:We have pointed out how your methodology does not work.

For example, you still have not provided evidence that the flu numbers you are using are confirmed cases rather than estimated cases.

What "methodology"? I just sort and report the numbers put out by various governments. The only "methodology" involved is creating the EU's numbers from those of its member states. As for the ten-year average flu season deaths, if the numbers are good enough for the CDC to publish, they're good enough for me to use.

Also, your bizarre idea that you should compare red states and blue states makes no sense. We already know that places that supported Trump have higher rates of infection and death, all other things being equal.

You'll note that I stopped reporting the Red/Purple/Blue breakdowns, there was something wrong in my calculations and I haven't had the time to try to fix it yet. But let's check your claim that Red states have higher death rates.

The ten states with the highest total deaths per million are:

1. New Jersey (Blue)
  2. New York (Blue)
  3. Massachusetts (Blue)
  4. North Dakota (Red)
  5. Connecticut (Blue)
  6. South Dakota (Red)
  7. Rhode Island (Blue)
  8. Mississippi (Red)
  9. Louisiana (Red)
  10. Illinois (Blue)

So that's six out of ten Blue, four Red, no Purples. But that's overall, so let's look at who had the highest death rates over the last week:

1. Kansas (Red)
  2. Wyoming (Red)
  3. Pennsylvania (Purple)
  4. New Mexico (Blue)
  5. Arkansas (Purple)
  6. Mississippi (Red)
  7. Indiana (Red)
  8. Arizona (Red)
  9. Connecticut (Blue)
  10. Illinois (Blue)

So that's five Red, two Purple, and three Blue. And one last question, which states have the highest rate of increase of deaths per million:

1. Wyoming (Red)
  2. Kansas (Red)
  3. Mississippi (Red)
  4. Connecticut (Blue)
  5. New Mexico (Blue)
  6. Pennsylvania (Purple)
  7. Indiana (Red)
  8. Arizona (Red)
  9. Massachusetts (Blue)
  10. California (Blue)

So that's five Red, one Purple, and four Blue, almost an even split.
Doug64 wrote:What "methodology"? I just sort and report the numbers put out by various governments. The only "methodology" involved is creating the EU's numbers from those of its member states. As for the ten-year average flu season deaths, if the numbers are good enough for the CDC to publish, they're good enough for me to use.

Please provide evidence that you are using confirmed flu numbers and not estimated.

You'll note that I stopped reporting the Red/Purple/Blue breakdowns, there was something wrong in my calculations and I haven't had the time to try to fix it yet. But let's check your claim that Red states have higher death rates.

The ten states with the highest total deaths per million are:

1. New Jersey (Blue)
  2. New York (Blue)
  3. Massachusetts (Blue)
  4. North Dakota (Red)
  5. Connecticut (Blue)
  6. South Dakota (Red)
  7. Rhode Island (Blue)
  8. Mississippi (Red)
  9. Louisiana (Red)
  10. Illinois (Blue)

So that's six out of ten Blue, four Red, no Purples. But that's overall, so let's look at who had the highest death rates over the last week:

1. Kansas (Red)
  2. Wyoming (Red)
  3. Pennsylvania (Purple)
  4. New Mexico (Blue)
  5. Arkansas (Purple)
  6. Mississippi (Red)
  7. Indiana (Red)
  8. Arizona (Red)
  9. Connecticut (Blue)
  10. Illinois (Blue)

So that's five Red, two Purple, and three Blue. And one last question, which states have the highest rate of increase of deaths per million:

1. Wyoming (Red)
  2. Kansas (Red)
  3. Mississippi (Red)
  4. Connecticut (Blue)
  5. New Mexico (Blue)
  6. Pennsylvania (Purple)
  7. Indiana (Red)
  8. Arizona (Red)
  9. Massachusetts (Blue)
  10. California (Blue)

So that's five Red, one Purple, and four Blue, almost an even split.

Seeing as how you are not adjusting for things like percent of the population over 70, population density, mass transit use, affluence, and a host of other factors, this is crappy methodology.

Let us look at actual science:

Abstract
    Numerous polls suggest that COVID-19 is a profoundly partisan issue in the United States. Using the geotracking data of 15 million smartphones per day, we found that US counties that voted for Donald Trump (Republican) over Hillary Clinton (Democrat) in the 2016 presidential election exhibited 14% less physical distancing between March and May 2020. Partisanship was more strongly associated with physical distancing than numerous other factors, including counties’ COVID-19 cases, population density, median income, and racial and age demographics. Contrary to our predictions, the observed partisan gap strengthened over time and remained when stay-at-home orders were active. Additionally, county-level consumption of conservative media (Fox News) was related to reduced physical distancing. Finally, the observed partisan differences in distancing were associated with subsequently higher COVID-19 infection and fatality growth rates in pro-Trump counties. Taken together, these data suggest that US citizens’ responses to COVID-19 are subject to a deep—and consequential—partisan divide.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-020-00977-7
Pants-of-dog wrote:Please provide evidence that you are using confirmed flu numbers and not estimated.

Like I said, if you don’t think those numbers are good enough to use, take it up with the CDC. And your obsession with a single number—one that over time has gotten horrible for most places—while ignoring the rest is odd.

Seeing as how you are not adjusting for things like percent of the population over 70, population density, mass transit use, affluence, and a host of other factors, this is crappy methodology.

It’s a beginning point, a general look at who’s doing the best overall and currently. And it’s a couple steps up from the MSM(D)’s longstanding obsession with the raw infection rate. If you can find a site that crunches all the variables you mention (and more) every week for all those nations/states, please let us know. But for any discussion on the course of the epidemic and what we need to do about it, these numbers are where we start.

Let us look at actual science:

Abstract
    Numerous polls suggest that COVID-19 is a profoundly partisan issue in the United States. Using the geotracking data of 15 million smartphones per day, we found that US counties that voted for Donald Trump (Republican) over Hillary Clinton (Democrat) in the 2016 presidential election exhibited 14% less physical distancing between March and May 2020. Partisanship was more strongly associated with physical distancing than numerous other factors, including counties’ COVID-19 cases, population density, median income, and racial and age demographics. Contrary to our predictions, the observed partisan gap strengthened over time and remained when stay-at-home orders were active. Additionally, county-level consumption of conservative media (Fox News) was related to reduced physical distancing. Finally, the observed partisan differences in distancing were associated with subsequently higher COVID-19 infection and fatality growth rates in pro-Trump counties. Taken together, these data suggest that US citizens’ responses to COVID-19 are subject to a deep—and consequential—partisan divide.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-020-00977-7

Interesting article, but there’s one thing that it doesn’t say—that Red states have higher infection and death rates than Blue states. In fact, looking at the charts, the study covered March 9th to May 28th, meaning it is months out of date when looking at our current situation.
Doug64 wrote:Like I said, if you don’t think those numbers are good enough to use, take it up with the CDC. And your obsession with a single number—one that over time has gotten horrible for most places—while ignoring the rest is odd.

Again, if you are not comparing the proper numbers, your table is misleading.

It’s a beginning point, a general look at who’s doing the best overall and currently. And it’s a couple steps up from the MSM(D)’s longstanding obsession with the raw infection rate. If you can find a site that crunches all the variables you mention (and more) every week for all those nations/states, please let us know. But for any discussion on the course of the epidemic and what we need to do about it, these numbers are where we start.

Again, I am going to just ignore your numbers because of the crappy methodology.

Interesting article, but there’s one thing that it doesn’t say—that Red states have higher infection and death rates than Blue states. In fact, looking at the charts, the study covered March 9th to May 28th, meaning it is months out of date when looking at our current situation.

Your charts are misleading and do not adjust for many things.

If we lok at actual peer reviewed science, we see that Trump supporters have a higher rate of death and infection, all other things being equal. This makes sense when we see that it is the right (or far right, depending on outlook) who are making it political to not wear masks or social distance or follow guidelines.
@Doug64

red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state
November 6 work for you?

Topline

An overwhelming 93% of the counties with the highest rate of new coronavirus cases per capita voted for President Trump, according to an Associated Press report published Friday, which comes as Johns Hopkins University data shows the country reached a record-breaking 121,888 new daily cases on Thursday.

This is from a solid right wing publication, Forbes.
COVID has begun overwhelming several nations health-care capacity. I'm hearing Ireland, the UK, France, Lithuania as most recent but several others. In Ireland there has been an expansion of cases at an increase of 20% daily for the last two weeks. The promise of a vaccine combined with delays in administration has severe consequences. Not only the UK are considering only part-vaccinations but also Denmark and Germany have begun making plans of possibly going down that road.

Year 2021; if the first movie was horrifying, this one will make you scream!
Pants-of-dog wrote:Again, if you are not comparing the proper numbers, your table is misleading.

And they are proper numbers—the CDC’s best estimate of our ten-year rolling average of flu deaths to how many are reported lost to the Wuhan virus.

Again, I am going to just ignore your numbers because of the crappy methodology.

Again, what “methodology”? I’m just providing the reported death tolls.

Your charts are misleading and do not adjust for many things.

If you believe that reports of the total and weekly deaths per million are pointless and misleading, take it up with those government organizations providing the “pointless and misleading” numbers.

If we lok at actual peer reviewed science, we see that Trump supporters have a higher rate of death and infection, all other things being equal. This makes sense when we see that it is the right (or far right, depending on outlook) who are making it political to not wear masks or social distance or follow guidelines.

Please provide links to these studies.

Rancid wrote:@Doug64

red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state red state blue state

Hey, it was Pants-of-dog that brought it up this time, point your spam at him.
Doug64 wrote:And they are proper numbers—the CDC’s best estimate of our ten-year rolling average of flu deaths to how many are reported lost to the Wuhan virus.

And once again, if you are comparing estimated flu deaths to confirmed deaths from Covid, then you are being misleading. In many cases, the estimated number of flu deaths is easily twice as many, which would greatly influence the ration you keep presenting as “data”.

Again, what “methodology”? I’m just providing the reported death tolls.

When you give a ratio of flu deaths to Covid deaths, you are using the data to create an impression of the severity of the Covid virus, are you not?

And if you use the incorrect data (by using estimated deaths instead of confirmed deaths) you can make the Covid virus seem less severe than it is.

If you believe that reports of the total and weekly deaths per million are pointless and misleading, take it up with those government organizations providing the “pointless and misleading” numbers.

This is not what I claimed.

Again, these simple numbers can be perfectly accurate and yet would still not give an accurate impression of which ideological group is actually more likely to get Covid, all other things being equal.

This is because you have not accounted for a host of other factors that would also affect infection rates, and instead have only looked at the way the state tends to vote.

So I looked at an actual study that also looks at the relationship between ideological beliefs and infection rates, but also accounts for other factors; something you, again, have not done.

And the actual science shows that Trump supporters get it more often, all other things being equal.

Please provide links to these studies.

I already have, including a quote of the relevant text.

Would you like me to post it again?

Hey, it was Pants-of-dog that brought it up this time, point your spam at him.

No, you literally bring it up every single time you post your misleading graph.
Russia have admitted that their death toll from Covid is three times higher than the official figures released

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4975

"Russia’s true death toll from the novel coronavirus pandemic is not about 57 000, as official figures claim, but more than 180 000, the country’s deputy prime minister, Tatiana Golikova, conceded at a press conference."

"These suspicions were confirmed when the Rosstat statistics agency said on 28 December that the number of deaths from all causes recorded between January and November was 229 700 higher than in 2019. "
I just noticed that the lockdowns are in places that the global elite might like to relocate to.

UK, Paris, Italy, Spain, NYC, Canada, Australia, Israel, etc.

"Drive the locals into homelessness and then snap up their property at dirt cheap (for us) prices."

SpecialOlympian wrote:Trump supporters are fucking retards.

I have no idea what this has to do with Trump supporters though.

Another distraction as the shell game speeds up and "cases spike"? :eh:

This is not a scientific argument for the existen[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@skinster I will never vote for Biden ever. That[…]

Indictments have occured in Arizona over the fake[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Losing money is one thing, losing a whole brigade[…]