The Wuhan virus—how are we doing? - Page 77 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Hey @QatzelOk. We're having lockdowns in Thailand because of an outbreak in the south. What do you think that has to do with the global elite?

Fuck all. That's what.

Stop saying such foolish shit. It makes you look really stupid, and ignorant.
Godstud wrote:Hey @QatzelOk. We're having lockdowns in Thailand because of an outbreak in the south. What do you think that has to do with the global elite?

Perhaps they read my quote about them, and decided to call the Thai government and make them lock something down "just to look good."

Stop saying such foolish shit. It makes you look really stupid, and ignorant.

My uncle used to say that it was better to remain silent and be "thought a fool" than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

But this is totally false.

By being careful not to say anything, you end up not thinking anything either. And by not saying stupid things ever, you can never learn what you don't know and become smart.
QatzelOk wrote:My uncle used to say that it was better to remain silent and be "thought a fool" than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
You should have listened to him, as you are indeed a fool.
Godstud wrote:You should have listened to him, as you are indeed a fool.

Well, I'm "a fool" who has said a lot of incorrect things in my life, and who has been corrected many thousands of times.

Other people I know have been just mouthing the words they think will allow them to go uncorrected all their lives.

These people haven't evolved very much in their understanding of the world. How could they? They have been protecting their ignorance all this time in order to "look good."

Since I'm not an international pop star selling millions of albums, I don't worry about my commercial image that much. I am not afraid to say "incorrect things" and then have them corrected through other people's discord followed by research of my own.

Of course, this takes more effort than just "going along to get along." :lol:
Last edited by QatzelOk on 09 Jan 2021 14:17, edited 1 time in total.
Is it me, or is it odd that we are not allowed to name viruses for the place they originate, but then everyone is saying things like "UK variant" or "South Africa variant"?
Trump supporters are sure funny. Stupid but occasionally funny. That is when they are not practicing domestic terrorism, sedition or treason.
Drlee wrote:Trump supporters are sure funny. Stupid but occasionally funny. That is when they are not practicing domestic terrorism, sedition or treason.

Biden supporters are the domestic terrorist, but you knew that. Yo is Comey still staring at trees?

Pants-of-dog wrote:And once again, if you are comparing estimated flu deaths to confirmed deaths from Covid, then you are being misleading.

Like I said, if you have a problem with the numbers, take it up with the CDC.

This is not what I claimed.

Actually, yes, it is.

Again, these simple numbers can be perfectly accurate and yet would still not give an accurate impression of which ideological group is actually more likely to get Covid, all other things being equal.

This is because you have not accounted for a host of other factors that would also affect infection rates, and instead have only looked at the way the state tends to vote.

So, what do you think of the MSM(D) harping on infection rates?

So I looked at an actual study that also looks at the relationship between ideological beliefs and infection rates, but also accounts for other factors; something you, again, have not done.

No, that isn't what the study looked at. It looked at the relationship of ideology and personal practices, and assumes their effect on infection rates. And you claimed that Trump supporters are dying at a greater rate, and the study comes from a period when the death rate was very heavily weighted toward Blue states.

No, you literally bring it up every single time you post your misleading graph.

The graph says nothing about Red/Blue states.

Rancid wrote:Is it me, or is it odd that we are not allowed to name viruses for the place they originate, but then everyone is saying things like "UK variant" or "South Africa variant"?

Yeah, it does highlight the stupidity of insisting that the "Wuhan virus" label is racist, doesn't it?
Doug64 wrote:Like I said, if you have a problem with the numbers, take it up with the CDC.

And like I said, the numbers are not the problem. Your misleading comparison (where you compare estimated flu deaths with confirmed Covid deaths) skews the numbers and makes Covid look less severe.

So, what do you think of the MSM(D) harping on infection rates?

I think your idea of an MSM (D) is a stupid conspiracy theory and so the question is not only irrelevant but fanciful.

No, that isn't what the study looked at. It looked at the relationship of ideology and personal practices, and assumes their effect on infection rates. And you claimed that Trump supporters are dying at a greater rate, and the study comes from a period when the death rate was very heavily weighted toward Blue states.

I am simply quoting the study. This is why providing evidence is so useful: no one needs your interpretation. I invite them to read it themselves.

The exact claim was that the observed partisan differences in distancing were associated with subsequently higher COVID-19 infection and fatality growth rates in pro-Trump counties.

The graph says nothing about Red/Blue states.

Yes, that is correct. The graph does not mention it. You do.

Yeah, it does highlight the stupidity of insisting that the "Wuhan virus" label is racist, doesn't it?

At this point, it seems like Wuhan is where the virus was discovered, and no one knows where it originated.
@Pants-of-dog said:

The exact claim was that the observed partisan differences in distancing were associated with subsequently higher COVID-19 infection and fatality growth rates in pro-Trump counties.

This is correct. The difference is stark and unmistakable.
Pants-of-dog wrote:I am simply quoting the study. This is why providing evidence is so useful: no one needs your interpretation. I invite them to read it themselves.

I stand corrected--your study does say that 2016 pro-Trump counties had a marginally higher infection rate and a lower fatality rate than pro-CLinton counties.
Rancid wrote:Is it me, or is it odd that we are not allowed to name viruses for the place they originate, but then everyone is saying things like "UK variant" or "South Africa variant"?

Frankly at this point, at least in America, it's just racism to cover up for the fact that American exceptionalism is fake as shit and that other countries handled it way better than we did. We proved ourself incapable of dealing with a serious public health crisis, and racism is easier than self-reflection.

The virus is political in America. Nobody cares about a "UK variant" because they're even dumber than we are and also they're white. Saying that doesn't hurt our fragile ego as the best country in the world by every possible metric.

Illogical, but not odd unfortunately. Although it is odd that speaking of "South Africa variant" hasn't come under fire yet.

To be fair, until it was named as Covid19 it was referred to as the Wuhan virus so it shouldn't be surprised that as these variants haven't been named, we go by the country of origin they were discovered. Although in terms of the UK variant, it seems that it is so prevalent globally that it may not even have originated here. Not that it matters I guess. We are all trying to battle this together. But I suspect people like to name things towards new associations in order to move attentions away from their own nations failures. Kind of like how during the Deep Water Horizon custerfuck, BP became British Petroleum so American oil barrens that worked for or with BP got a free pass from blame.
B0ycey wrote:To be fair, until it was named as Covid19 it was referred to as the Wuhan virus so it shouldn't be surprised that as these variants haven't been named, we go by the country of origin they were discovered. Although in terms of the UK variant, it seems that it is so prevalent globally that it may not even have originated here. Not that it matters I guess. We are all trying to battle this together. But I suspect people like to name things towards new associations in order to move attentions away from their own nations failures. Kind of like how during the Deep Water Horizon custerfuck, BP became British Petroleum so American oil barrens that worked for or with BP got a free pass from blame.

Covid 19 was identified in 2012 in a mine 1000 miles from wuhan. It was renamed 19 when it escaped or was released in 19
Covid 19 was identified in 2012 in a mine 1000 miles from wuhan. It was renamed 19 when it escaped or was released in 19

Populist crap designed to appeal to those who have never studied epidemiology. But just for fun, tell us why this would matter anyway. The newspaper article clearly states that Covid-19 spreading from Wuhan early last year.

I see you said, "or was released" with absolutely no evidence that this is the case. Fake news but typical of a Trumper who does not understand the science.
Doug64 wrote:I stand corrected--your study does say that 2016 pro-Trump counties had a marginally higher infection rate and a lower fatality rate than pro-CLinton counties.

Actually, it says that Trump counties had higher fatality growth rates.

@Puffer Fish Why do Americans abroad think they[…]

Here are some of the the latest reports of student[…]

@FiveofSwords There is no biological aspect […]

Indictments have occured in Arizona over the fake […]