The Wuhan virus—how are we doing? - Page 78 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Actually, it says that Trump counties had higher fatality growth rates.

From the article: "Trump-leaning counties exhibited lower fatality growth rates than Clinton-leaning ones:"

And for the weekly report:

Oh look. Big surprise. @Doug64 who does not have a clue about what he is posting so doesn't realize that it is simply a partisan fabrication, has done it again. Meanwhile dark red state Arizona leads the world in new infections while the governor stubbornly refuses to even mandate mask wearing. That is the team of which Doug is so proud.

Note to non epidemiologists. Combining estimates and actual data in one chart is a no no. I need not tell that to the POFO'ers who have taken Stat 101.
Drlee wrote:Note to non epidemiologists. Combining estimates and actual data in one chart is a no no. I need not tell that to the POFO'ers who have taken Stat 101.

You don't have to be an epidemiologist to know this. :)

It's the same in my line of work.
Doug64 wrote:From the article: "Trump-leaning counties exhibited lower fatality growth rates than Clinton-leaning ones:"

Well, I actually quoted the text and you did not.

So again, I invite readers to read it for themselves and they can see for themselves that Trump supporters and other Republicans are engaging in behaviours that lead to more infection and death.

Also:
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/5 ... t-covid-19

Republicans four times more likely than Democrats not to get COVID-19 vaccine: poll

A poll released on Monday determined that Republican respondents were four times more likely than Democrats to say they would never get the COVID-19 vaccine as immunizations begin to be administered across the country.

An ABC News-Ipsos poll found that a respondent's party identification was directly related to their willingness to take the vaccine. A total of 26 percent of Republican respondents said they would never get the COVID-19 vaccine, compared with 6 percent of Democrats and 14 percent of independents.

The poll found that almost twice as many Democrats, or 49 percent, expressed willingness to take the vaccine as soon as it’s available, compared with 28 percent of Republicans and 42 percent of independents.

So, in the future when we all have vaccines, we will still see Trump supporters and other Republicans spreading this potentially lethal disease.
@XogGyux, @Drlee
My dad got the first dose and has been scheduled for the second in a few weeks. He reported to me that he has not turned gay.

My mom got an email from her doctors office saying that she can now schedule her first dose. She plans to schedule it tomorrow.
I wonder if the 15-minute post-vaccination waiting period, in case of allergic or other reaction, is creating a bottleneck that is slowing down vaccinations.

The clinic must provide enough space and social distance for those waiting after their shots and, presumably, no new shot can be given until one of those waiting leaves. Also, are more nurses required to attend to anyone having a severe reaction?

In addition, a routine flu shot, for example, usually requires just a notation in a computer record. But the COVID-19 shot also requires the completion of a card to remind the bearer of the next shot, which I assume would add more time to the process.
@XogGyux, @Drlee
My dad got the first dose and has been scheduled for the second in a few weeks. He reported to me that he has not turned gay.

My mom got an email from her doctors office saying that she can now schedule her first dose. She plans to schedule it tomorrow.

That is good news that they are getting vaccinated.

I am glad your father has not turned gay. (Tough there is nothing wrong with that.)
An interesting new set of data from the CDC, here's the number of inoculations distributed and administered by state, both numbers per 100,000, plus the percentage of the inoculations distributed that have been administered:

Pants-of-dog wrote:Well, I actually quoted the text and you did not.

What part of "From the article" did you not understand?
@Pants-of-dog, you mean other than the "From the article:" and the quote marks around the quote?
Doug64 wrote:@Pants-of-dog, you mean other than the "From the article:" and the quote marks around the quote?

Yes, I already saw how you claimed it was from the article, but you did not quote the actual text, as far as I can tell.

For example, can you tell us what page you are supposedly quoting from?
Pants-of-dog wrote:Yes, I already saw how you claimed it was from the article, but you did not quote the actual text, as far as I can tell.

Yes, the quoted section is copy-and-pasted from the article. If you think I'm a liar, you don't need to debate me.
Doug64 wrote:Yes, the quoted section is copy-and-pasted from the article. If you think I'm a liar, you don't need to debate me.

Again, please provide proper citation.

Like this:

The mediation analyses revealed significant indirect links between counties’ pro-Trump voting and infection growth rate via physical distancing (lagged 17–23 days): Bmovement = 0.855, 95% CI [0.622, 1.088] and Bvisitation = 0.896, 95% CI [0.679, 1.113], P < 0.001 (Table 3). Regarding total effects, Trump-leaning counties on average exhibited marginally higher infection growth rates than Clinton-leaning ones between 26 March and 29 May 2020: Bmovement = 0.272, 95% CI [−0.020, 0.564] and Bvisitation = 0.313, 95% CI [0.032, 0.594], P < 0.068 (Total Effects in Table 3 and Supplementary Note 17); however, this would not have been the case if Trump-leaning counties had physically distanced to the same degree as more Clinton-leaning counties. If they had done so, Trump-leaning counties would actually have had lower infection growth rates than Clinton-leaning ones between 26March and 29May 2020: Bmovement=−0.583, 95% CI [−0.915, −0.251] and Bvisitation=−0.582, 95% CI [–0.912, –0.253], P < 0.002 (Direct Effects in Table 3).

The quoted text can be found on the bottom of page 7 of 14 of the following PDF, page 1192 in the journal:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-020-00977-7.pdf

This way, people can read the information in the proper context.

Note that this excerpt also mentions how Trump leaning counties should have lower infection rates and fatality rates because of things like population density, how many people take public transit, how many live in multigenerational homes, et cetera.

Your simple data manipulation in your graph does not look at these other factors, so it is misleading when you focus on ideology as if that were the only factor affecting infection and death rates.
@Doug64

When were these numbers posted? If this is correct, and you said that the number is the total number of doses per 100,000 people, then Arizona is supposed to have over half a million doses. That number is quite a bit higher than what we are told that have been distributed. Can you post a link to this? If this chart is true it also shows two other issues. First that the vaccines are not equitably distributed. The second is that they are not targeted for need either. I would be very curious to see the rationale they use to distribute the vaccines.

As this is something that has to do with my job I would appreciate the source for this. I am not saying it is wrong but it is at variance with what is being made public.

I wasn't going to mention this but I was vaccinated the other day. No ill effects other than a sore arm. And @Rancid will be interested to know that for some inexplicable reason my penis has gained about an inch. And it is longer too.
@Drlee, the numbers were updated today, a little after noon: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations. So far, almost 30 million doses have been distributed. And yes, Arizona has received 596,525 doses. When I have more time, I'll have to add in the state populations as well.
Well Arizona is about 6.9 million so that squares with the table.

I am surprised at the number. And a bit encouraged that they have that much out there. It may be a supply chain thing because I can tell you that we sure aren't mounting an effort commensurate with that supply. Or at least I have not seen it.
@Drlee, yeah, the Federal government seems to be doing ... not bad, when it comes to distributing the vaccines, but distribution and inoculation within states is hit-or-miss depending on the state.
@Drlee, yeah, the Federal government seems to be doing ... not bad, when it comes to distributing the vaccines, but distribution and inoculation within states is hit-or-miss depending on the state.

It would appear so. I know that my state did well with medical folks. Most of us have either had the first vaccination or at least have had the opportunity. The state is opening it up for over 65's now.

I have no beef with the fed response on the vaccines with one exception. They could have issued better instructions; fewer conflicting signals. But overall, not bad.

Not even @wat0n denies that the IDF and Israeli[…]

^ Wouldn't happen though, since the Israelis are n[…]

I was actually unaware :lol: Before he was […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Every accusation is a confession Why sexual v[…]