Racism definition & use - Page 7 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
#15151093
Sadly, corporate interests are politics these days. The Republican Party has even moved to eliminate local and county governments as political powers for all intent and purpose. Look at how many Republican run states have prohibited local authorities form acting against the corona virus.

And not a freaking soul is noticing this grab for power.
#15151096
late wrote:Kind of, too many Dems are too beholden to corporate interests.

DINO, if you want to be blunt about it.


I know you guys think I am a right winger, but I am actually OK with abortion, the LGBTQIA, etc. I also favor Medicare for all and tuition free state colleges.

The main problem is the disappearance of the middle class and excess wealth accumulation in the hands of the few. That will destroy the USA. The elite social media moguls control the narrative in America. They tend to be liberal and live in such a different isolated social strata (Ivory Tower) that they truly think they know what is best for the average person. IN the next 4-8 years there will be greater control of the info that is passed to the masses. The media and journalists will be subordinate to the giants of social media. Cancel culture will be the order of the day. Many voices will be silenced.

Those that were once middle class will be unemployed but will have UBI, free health care, and free education. The question is? What will they do? Will they go nihilistic like the LA and San Francisco population? The highly educated millenials and Gen Z types are destined to be less successful than their parents. Bernie Sanders is correct in his analysis, but like Marx his prescription is wrong.
User avatar
By Rancid
#15151102
I think we are heading into a cyberpunk kind of future. Perhaps it's time to roll over and take it. :hmm:

Historically, Republicans liked big oil and defense for example. However, given the coming de-emphasis of oil, big oils isn't as much of a threat to freedom anymore. Further, big tech is merging with the defense industry more and more. We see companies like Microsoft and Amazon doing projects for the defense industry. Hence why I think we will start to see Republicans align more and more with big tech just like democrats have already done. Republicans and Democrats will continue to collude to keep the possibility of a 3rd-4th party out of American politics. This is likely to breed more far right and far left movements in America.
#15151104
Rancid wrote:I think we are heading into a cyberpunk kind of future. Perhaps it's time to roll over and take it. :hmm:

Historically, Republicans liked big oil and defense for example. However, given the coming de-emphasis of oil, big oils isn't as much of a threat to freedom anymore. Further, big tech is merging with the defense industry more and more. We see companies like Microsoft and Amazon doing projects for the defense industry. Hence why I think we will start to see Republicans align more and more with big tech just like democrats have already done. Republicans and Democrats will continue to collude to keep the possibility of a 3rd-4th party out of American politics. This is likely to breed more far right and far left movements in America.


The shrinking middle with stagnant wages is a huge issue.

Meanwhile other young voters with purple and green hair think the sky is falling because there are no appropriate bathrooms for them.

The former tree huggers and whale lovers are now having an affair with wind and solar energy but despise nuclear (which is way better).

And the nation will become a collection of tribes.
By late
#15151127
Julian658 wrote:
1) The main problem is the disappearance of the middle class and excess wealth accumulation in the hands of the few. That will destroy the USA.

2) The elite social media moguls control the narrative in America. They tend to be liberal and live in such a different isolated social strata (Ivory Tower) that they truly think they know what is best for the average person.

3) IN the next 4-8 years there will be greater control of the info that is passed to the masses. The media and journalists will be subordinate to the giants of social media. Cancel culture will be the order of the day. Many voices will be silenced.

4) Those that were once middle class will be unemployed but will have UBI, free health care, and free education. The question is? What will they do?

5) The highly educated millenials and Gen Z types are destined to be less successful than their parents. Bernie Sanders is correct in his analysis, but like Marx his prescription is wrong.



1) Yes.

2) That is a problem, but you've distorted the situation. More on that later.

3) You can't let the crazies run wild.

4) That is a great question. There is actually a lot that needs doing that they could do. A New Deal sort of thing.

5) You talked about the problem, and how it could destroy America. We just got a taste of that. If you want to know how to deal with it, read Price of Inequality by Stiglitz.
#15151137
I said:

3. IN the next 4-8 years there will be greater control of the info that is passed to the masses. The media and journalists will be subordinate to the giants of social media. Cancel culture will be the order of the day. Many voices will be silenced.


You said:

late wrote:3) You can't let the crazies run wild.


That is bit problematic late. Who defines who are the crazy ones?
#15151146
At this point, it seems clear that Trump supporters like the ones who stormed the Capitol are the “crazy” ones. They are obsessed with race identity politics and they obviously are all “cancel culture” when it comes to Biden or anyone they perceive as being more left than they are.

I personally would not use the term “crazy”. People with mental illnesses deserve more respect than to be compared to those folks.
By late
#15151149
Julian658 wrote:
You said:



That is bit problematic late. Who defines who are the crazy ones?



It's a potential problem. It boils down to accuracy, which is not hard to determine.

You would want a politically independent authority to make the call.
User avatar
By Drlee
#15151151
There is nothing in the US constitution that says I have to believe liars or listen to people who are deluded.
#15151177
late wrote:It's a potential problem. It boils down to accuracy, which is not hard to determine.

You would want a politically independent authority to make the call.


If I say the sky is pink you could disagree and I would be labeled as the crazy.
Who is more accurate? You or me?
Someone makes the call. What are the consequences if the call is not favorable.
#15151178
Drlee wrote:There is nothing in the US constitution that says I have to believe liars or listen to people who are deluded.

I like this approach. You must be back on your Aricept.
#15151179
Pants-of-dog wrote:At this point, it seems clear that Trump supporters like the ones who stormed the Capitol are the “crazy” ones.

They broke the law, that is an easy one.

They are obsessed with race identity politics and they obviously are all “cancel culture” when it comes to Biden or anyone they perceive as being more left than they are.


The above does not make sense. Perhaps your are trying to be clumsily be funny. :lol: :lol:

I personally would not use the term “crazy”. People with mental illnesses deserve more respect than to be compared to those folks.


Now we are talking. That sort of PC on steroids is the real POD. :knife: :knife:

Who decides who get cancelled?
Who decides who is not desirable for the progressives?
#15151182
Julian658 wrote:The above does not make sense. Perhaps your are trying to be clumsily be funny.
Who decides who get cancelled?


Really?

The Capitol rioters were part of the racist faction of the right. Racism is, by definition, race identity politics. So all the racist Trump supporters are advocating race identity politics.

And the rioters decided that racist Trump supporters are the ones who decide who get cancelled, and they also gave themselves the right to decide for all US residents.
#15151187
Pants-of-dog wrote:Really?

The Capitol rioters were part of the racist faction of the right. Racism is, by definition, race identity politics. So all the racist Trump supporters are advocating race identity politics.

And the rioters decided that racist Trump supporters are the ones who decide who get cancelled, and they also gave themselves the right to decide for all US residents.

Nice straw man POD. I said that they broke the law. Therefore they deserve whatever they get.

Yes, racism is the extreme version of ID politics. That is why fighting racism with ID politics causes more racism (on both sides of the equation).
National Guardsmen in DC in charge of security of Joe Biden are under high scrutiny and may be found not trustworthy if they are Republican white males. That is what I call not so subtle discrimination. Look up congressman Cohen on this one. That is as nasty as it gets POD.
#15151190
Julian658 wrote:Nice straw man POD. I said that they broke the law. Therefore they deserve whatever they get.


Since I never said you claimed otherwise, this accusation is baseless.

...fighting racism with ID politics causes more racism (on both sides of the equation).


Prove it.

National Guardsmen in DC in charge of security of Joe Biden are under high scrutiny and may be found not trustworthy if they are Republican white males. That is what I call not so subtle discrimination. Look up congressman Cohen on this one. That is as nasty as it gets POD.


I am not going to look up your argument for you.

If you want to accuse police oversight committees of racism, support your claim.


If you want to accuse this Cohen person of racism, support your claim.

More importantly, you are not arguing that these racists are trying to decide for you who you have for POTUS and not letting you choose for yourself. And you seem perfectly fine with that.

You condemn the lawbreaking, but not the intent to cancel democracy nor do you condemn the racism.
By late
#15151192
Julian658 wrote:
If I say the sky is pink you could disagree and I would be labeled as the crazy.
Who is more accurate? You or me?
Someone makes the call. What are the consequences if the call is not favorable.



You broke it, you bought it.
#15151196
Pants-of-dog wrote:Since I never said you claimed otherwise, this accusation is baseless.

Prove it.


Do you ever wonder why Trump won in 2016? It was a reaction to ID politics.

If you want to accuse this Cohen person of racism, support your claim.

I did not say racism. I said discrimination.

You condemn the lawbreaking, but not the intent to cancel democracy nor do you condemn the racism.

They were wrong POD. Do you want me to read a prepared text by you. You guys tend to be authoritarian.
#15151209
Julian658 wrote:Do you ever wonder why Trump won in 2016? It was a reaction to ID politics.
Your opinion on this, is not evidence. Trump's election in 2016 isn't evidence, either. It's actually proof that GOP is more into identity politics than the DNC. It was entitled white Americans feeling they aren't being treated fairly, that are the main base for Trump.

Julian658 wrote:I did not say racism. I said discrimination.
A component of racism is discrimination.

Julian658 wrote:You guys tend to be authoritarian.
Being against discrimination and racism is not authoritarian, although a person who was racist and being condemned for it might claim this as a form of self-proclaimed "victimization". :knife:
#15151211
late wrote:You broke it, you bought it.

Yes, I agree!
But, who is more accurate? You or me? Who is right? Who is wrong?
let me know.
#15151215
Godstud wrote:Your opinion on this, is not evidence. Trump's election in 2016 isn't evidence, either. It's actually proof that GOP is more into identity politics than the DNC. It was entitled white Americans feeling they aren't being treated fairly, that are the main base for Trump.


:lol: :lol: :lol:
That Trump won in 20-16 is a fact, not an opinion. As to why Trump won, that could be an opinion. According you you above: It's actually proof that GOP is more into identity politics. It seems that you agree with me. He won because of ID politics. I suspect right wingers will play ID politics if the left plays ID politics.

A component of racism is discrimination.

Sure, but discrimination does not assume the hegemony of one group. I used to only date women with a waist to hip ratio of 0.7 so I discriminated.

Being against discrimination and racism is not authoritarian,


No it is not, you are correct.

BTW, Do you think that in a nation with free speech racists words are allowed? Who decides what is racist and what is not racist speech?
  • 1
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 44

I don't actually pay attention to kooks when I ca[…]

Trump on trial

I absolutely do not understand how anyone can thin[…]

Election 2020

The Democrats sued and won to get nearly 8k milit[…]

Everything is fragile

"Everything is fragile." That's what […]