After the Collapse: FACTORS_EH? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

#15151097
What matters?

When I was in high school, one of our Social Studies textbooks was adapted from an American Civics textbook. In this book, was a list of the important characteristics of any society. The list of important traits was shortened to FACTORS, and each letter corresponded to a different society trait.

Image

When creating a new social order after the collapse of the present one, it is important to look at what needs to be reorganized. This new structure needs to take into account the knowledge of the last few centuries and of the last few years, that has been blocked or not factored into our current collapsing (and archaic) social order.

To Canadian-ize the list, I have added two letters that were missing in the USA textbook adaptation. And they are, of course, EH. As in "eh?".

Features of Every Society

Food
Agriculture
Clothing
Transportation
Occupations
Resources
Shelter
.
Education
Health Care


Are there any important society features missing on this list?

And are there any features of our current social order that DON'T need to be altered?

I am using the word "society" here (and not culture, or civilization) because the textbook used that word. Society. As in "Syrian Society" or "USA Society."

soundtrack
#15151447
ness31 wrote:Maybe something that acknowledges customs or conventions?

Yes, region by region. Because of differing cultures and environments, most of these factors (*food, shelter, clothing, etc*) will undergo different transitions depending on which particular region it is that is exfoliating Modernity. Some regions may already be where they need to go.

But what about different "classes" of human?

Do these need to be acknowledged or discarded when we build from the ashes?

Should things like *EDUCATION* continue to be linked to class? Is that sustainable and socially acceptable in a reconstructed human society?
#15151602
Hellas me ponas wrote:Well, I'm not an expert of course so when I say this I do with a bit of hesitation. But how come education and health are are parts of every society? I mean Zulus were a society and they didn't have schools or hospitals.

Sure they did - they schooled everyone in battle, and put their enemies in hospital. Lol.
#15151780
QatzelOk wrote:What matters?

When I was in high school, one of our Social Studies textbooks was adapted from an American Civics textbook. In this book, was a list of the important characteristics of any society. The list of important traits was shortened to FACTORS, and each letter corresponded to a different society trait.

Image

When creating a new social order after the collapse of the present one, it is important to look at what needs to be reorganized. This new structure needs to take into account the knowledge of the last few centuries and of the last few years, that has been blocked or not factored into our current collapsing (and archaic) social order.

To Canadian-ize the list, I have added two letters that were missing in the USA textbook adaptation. And they are, of course, EH. As in "eh?".

Features of Every Society

Food
Agriculture
Clothing
Transportation
Occupations
Resources
Shelter
.
Education
Health Care


Are there any important society features missing on this list?

And are there any features of our current social order that DON'T need to be altered?

I am using the word "society" here (and not culture, or civilization) because the textbook used that word. Society. As in "Syrian Society" or "USA Society."

soundtrack


Hi!

That last line, which notes a Syrian society or a US society, points to the need for additional dimensions if we are to be able to differentiate between societies. I submit that one criteria is the mythos held in common by a people.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.
#15152147
Torus34 wrote:That last line, which notes a Syrian society or a US society, points to the need for additional dimensions if we are to be able to differentiate between societies. I submit that one criteria is the mythos held in common by a people.

Can you give an example of one of the FACTORS_EH that would need to be different between two different Syrian cultural groups?

And can you explain why maintaining this difference is important to survival? Why does this difference "matter?"

...

Hellas me ponas wrote:Well, I'm not an expert of course so when I say this I do with a bit of hesitation. But how come education and health are are parts of every society? I mean Zulus were a society and they didn't have schools or hospitals.

"Education' doesn't necessarily mean "schools," and "health care" doesn't necessarily mean "hospitals."

(We need to put our conventions aside a bit in this thread because... uh... they're not working as a means of ensuring our species' medium or long-term survival)
#15152156
QatzelOk wrote:Can you give an example of one of the FACTORS_EH that would need to be different between two different Syrian cultural groups?

And can you explain why maintaining this difference is important to survival? Why does this difference "matter?"



Hi!

Well, for openers there's Druze, Sunni's, Christian's and Alawites. Being a member of one or t'other has been truly a matter of survival in times past as well as the present. And then there are the Kurds.

'Nuf said. I'll not respond further to this particular thread.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.
#15152162
I would add digital connection: many services, social interaction and various types of social life increasingly rely on digital connectivity. Perhaps this can be added to infrastructure, that infrastructure for digital services is seen of an importance similar to that of roads, electricity and water supply, the sewage system, etc.
#15153035
Cookie Monster wrote:I would add digital connection: many services, social interaction and various types of social life increasingly rely on digital connectivity. Perhaps this can be added to infrastructure, that infrastructure for digital services is seen of an importance similar to that of roads, electricity and water supply, the sewage system, etc.

Well, I didn't mention roads, electricity, insecticide, or any other particular technology. The reason for this is that, technologies change over time, and are either useful or useless - depending on local conditions.

Also, while "FOOD" is important, "insecticide" may or may not be.
#15154618
Imagesource

British economist Kate Raworth has devised another way to look at Economic "success" with a model that suggests that there's a sweet spot for human societies (and their individuals) to thrive.

The article that the word "source" leads to is by Robert Hunziger, and it describes how the model works in ensuring that everyone gets a "just right" amount of FACTORS_EH.

I like how she refers to an Ecological Ceiling as being the maximum consumption permitted by the entire society, and to the Social Foundation as the minimum that each citizen has access to.

(Notice that the "factors" inside the doughnut chart don't exactly correspond to the Social Studies text that I cited)
Election 2020

Absolute lunatic level rubbish. Why would Russia […]

How to deal with Trump?

Why, what’s he done this time? Did I miss some new[…]

February 26, Thursday The Cherokee Indian Nati[…]

What you saying Hammond....

The thing with this crisis is the truth has never[…]