Senator Addison McConnell and the Republican Party: A Path Forward. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

[Quoting myself from another source:]

"Many would agree with the assessment that the Republican Party in the past four years has been transmogrified into the Party of Trump. Mr. Donald Trump's personality and modus operandi are also well known. The possibility of Mr. Trump running for the office of President of the United States of America in 2024 as a Republican or as the head of his own new party is real. Alternately, keeping things in an uproar and interfering with the normal progression of presidential candidates in the Republican Party is also a distinct possibility. None of this bodes well for the Republican Party.

"Senator Addison McConnell, whatever his faults, has a deep sense of responsibility to and respect for his party. He is quite aware of the danger to the party over the long haul posed by Mr. Trump. The Republican Party would do well to put the Trump Era behind it. To do this, it's necessary to remove Mr. Trump from the party's immediate -- four year -- future. That means eliminating his ability to run for President in 2024 or even to use the threat of running for his own purposes*. If this can be done, Mr. Trump's followers will also be cut loose from him and be available to whomever wins the Republican nomination for president in 2024.

"That step-by-step analysis leads to Senator McConnell rounding up the necessary number of Republican Senators to complete the impeachment procedure against Mr. trump with a ban from running for public office.

"That's all conjecture, of course. It does have a certain whiff of realpolitik, however.

"Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the prophylactic Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

"* There's little doubt that a third party bid by Mr. Trump would result in a win for the Democratic Party, with the Republican Party running a distant last."

Reminder. I try to respond to all who quote my posts. If you do not get a response from me, it may be that you've made it onto my 'Ignore' list.
Certainly, the Republican Party has become the Party of Trump, just as it became the Party of Reagan before that. Yet, as has been stated, the old guard will no doubt prevent Donald Trump himself from retaining the crown. Realistically, Trump and his ego will not take this lightly, and he probably won't just fade blissfully into the limelight. Still, I find the prospect of him starting his own political party quite implausible. It failed miserably for one Theodore Roosevelt Jr., a decidedly more popular (and rational) demagogue than Trump, and, in spite of the neoliberal monotony with which this century was commenced, no third party in the US has even cracked five percent of the popular vote at any point. Being undoubtedly cognisant of this, I think it highly unlikely that the people Trump surrounds himself with would risk allowing such an inevitable failure as the Donald Trump Party to eventuate.

Mitch McConnell's Reaganite faction of Republicans will undoubtedly be shifting gears, as populism rewires American politics, and corporate interests in turn hack into vectors of populism, but I'm not yet convinced that this will actually be a major gear shift. Not that I would remember, but I'm under the impression that, in 2008, Barack Obama was considered to be an outsider, of sorts; a break from the shameless corporatism of the party of William J. Clinton and John F. Kerry. Now, he's very much considered synonymous with that entity. While Donald Trump is clearly a more memorable and bombastic individual than Obama, I think the principle is the same here. The Trump Administration may well appear Reaganite in tenor by the time the [Tucker Carlson 2028] campaign comes around.

After all, how different were Trump's tax cuts, trade barriers and reckless foreign policy actions from Reagan's? Neo-Fordian intentions mean very little in the face of a privatised, deregulated reality of utter corporate domination. The main difference I see is simply that Reagan got away with it. :D
Hi, Local Localist!

Thank you for your reply. I particularly liked 'eventuate'.

There's a factor worth considering when the subject of Mr. Donald Trump starting a third party is raised. Mr. Trump has an affinity for money which is only equaled by gold's affinity for mercury. A third party, given the size of Mr. Trump's loyal following, is a very productive cash cow. It does not even matter how it places in the final 2024 vote tally. It would also provide many opportunities for rallies of adoring fans, something which also appeals to Mr. Trump. Any costs associated with the rallies would be borne by the Trump Party coffers, not by Mr. Trump. In the words of the late great Mr. Jackie Gleason, "How sweet it is!"

Regards, stay safe 'n well.
Torus34 wrote:Hi, Local Localist!

There's a factor worth considering when the subject of Mr. Donald Trump starting a third party is raised. Mr. Trump has an affinity for money which is only equaled by gold's affinity for mercury. A third party, given the size of Mr. Trump's loyal following, would be a very productive cash cow. It does not even matter how it would place in the final 2024 vote tally. It would also provide many opportunities for rallies of adoring fans, something which also appeals to Mr. Trump. Any costs associated with the rallies would be borne by the Trump Party coffers, not by Mr. Trump. In the words of the late great Mr. Jackie Gleason, "How sweet it is!"

Torus34 wrote:Hi, Local Localist!

There's a factor worth considering when the subject of Mr. Donald Trump starting a third party is raised. Mr. Trump has an affinity for money which is only equaled by gold's affinity for mercury. A third party, given the size of Mr. Trump's loyal following, is a very productive cash cow. It does not even matter how it places in the final 2024 vote tally. It would also provide many opportunities for rallies of adoring fans, something which also appeals to Mr. Trump. Any costs associated with the rallies would be borne by the Trump Party coffers, not by Mr. Trump. In the words of the late great Mr. Jackie Gleason, "How sweet it is!"

This is an interesting point, but I was under the impression that the 45th President actually lost a considerable amount of money running for president in 2016, and given his reaction to the election outcome in 2020, I would say that were he to attempt another run for president, it would very much be out of a sincere desire to have that power and attention back.
Local Localist wrote:This is an interesting point, but I was under the impression that the 45th President actually lost a considerable amount of money running for president in 2016, and given his reaction to the election outcome in 2020, I would say that were he to attempt another run for president, it would very much be out of a sincere desire to have that power and attention back.

Yup! It's certainly not a simple yes/no situation. There are a number of factors in play and an equal number of frames we can use to view them. Sure makes for nice chatting, though.

Best to you and yours. Stay safe 'n well.
Torus34 wrote:Yup! It's certainly not a simple yes/no situation. There are a number of factors in play and an equal number of frames we can use to view them. Sure makes for nice chatting, though.

Best to you and yours. Stay safe 'n well.

As I have said elsewhere,
For the next many years the Repub, or as I call it the Repud, Party is toast. It's big problem is that there are many independent voters. After the events of Jan. 6, I think that many more of them will never vote for Trump if he runs as a Repud or his own party. This means he will not win in 2024.
. . . IMO, less independent voters will never vote for anyone who supported trump until the bitter end. Again it doesn't matter if they are running as Repuds or 3rd Party.
. . . OTOH, if the Repuds nominate a Reaganite Repud, then Trump's voters will not vote for them.

Therefore, to win a Pres. race the Repuds will have to nominate a Reaganite who shifts gears (with the consent of their donors) to throw more crumbs to the mass of the voters, i.e. the working class.
. . . The Repuds leaders needs to consult with their donors to decide what crumbs to be throwing. IMHO, they need to start NOW. They are tainted by the events of Jan. 6, so the workers will need to see some actions and will not be suckered again by lovely promises at the last minute. Like they were by Trump, I think that after 4 years have passed, they will have groked the truth that Trump suckered them.
Steve_American wrote:As I have said elsewhere,
For the next many years the Repub, or as I call it the Repud, Party is toast. It's big problem is that there are many independent voters. After the events of Jan. 6, I think that many more of them will never vote for Trump if he runs as a Repud or his own party. This means he will not win in 2024.
. . . IMO, less independent voters will never vote for anyone who supported trump until the bitter end. Again it doesn't matter if they are running as Repuds or 3rd Party.
. . . OTOH, if the Repuds nominate a Reaganite Repud, then Trump's voters will not vote for them.

Therefore, to win a Pres. race the Repuds will have to nominate a Reaganite who shifts gears (with the consent of their donors) to throw more crumbs to the mass of the voters, i.e. the working class.
. . . The Repuds leaders needs to consult with their donors to decide what crumbs to be throwing. IMHO, they need to start NOW. They are tainted by the events of Jan. 6, so the workers will need to see some actions and will not be suckered again by lovely promises at the last minute. Like they were by Trump, I think that after 4 years have passed, they will have groked the truth that Trump suckered them.

Hi!

The Republican Party, come 2022, has history on their side for a re-capture of the Senate and possibly the House of Representatives. Machiavelli had something to say about the memory of the general populace, and it remains true today.

I suspect that the Senate Republicans will not supply 17 'Yes" votes for the impeachment of Mr. Donald Trump. That will leave him free to either form a third party [Ed.: Such a move creates a cash cow of considerable magnitude as well as providing multiple opportunities for Mr. Trump to appear before adoring crowds.] or run in 2024 as a Republican. That, in my opinion, is what presents the biggest danger to the Republican Party, but the party hold on the legislative branch may remain intact.

Interesting times ahead. The events in the next few weeks in the Senate of the United States of America will cast a long shadow.

I dont buy it, Why would anyone go for a vacation […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@JohnRawls No. Your perception of it is not. I g[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'd be totally happy for us to send ground troop i[…]

Any of you going to buy the Trump bible he's promo[…]