Racism definition & use - Page 19 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
#15152977
Julian658 wrote:Bret Weinstein was forced to quit teaching at Evergreen.


No, he was not.

Do you think that someone being fired for being white is reverse racism?

Has this ever happened?

Any white or Asian kid that is not accepted to the Ivy League school make room for someone less talented. Sadly this is damaging for unqualified people that get admitted to a level of rigor that may be too much. For example there is a rush to admit unqualified minorities to STEM. The end result is a large rate of dropout and bitterness.
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/201 ... e-students


This also seems incorrect.

If the two examples you have of reverse racism are not actually real, can we look at the possibility that this reverse racism you talk about is also not real?
#15152978
Yep, your so-called fiends have polite superficial conversations and they walk on eggshells around you.

Do you realize that among friends it is easy to tell good from bad intent. Why do you think some minorities call each other the "N" word. They know there is no harm among them.

You are way too prude Doc.


The ends you will go to to rationalize your personal racism is amazing.

If not using racist language or openly practicing bigotry makes me a "prude" then I am guilty as charged.
#15152980
Pants-of-dog wrote:If the two examples you have of reverse racism are not actually real, can we look at the possibility that this reverse racism you talk about is also not real?


POD our perception is your reality. Not much anyone can do about that.
#15152981
Drlee wrote:The ends you will go to to rationalize your personal racism is amazing.

If not using racist language or openly practicing bigotry makes me a "prude" then I am guilty as charged.

You are assuming! Everybody is racist, but i am actually much less racist than you. You infantilize minorities as helpless creatures that need your tender care. I do not buy into that. I almost never get offended but i would certainly be offended if an anti-racist anglo like you treated me with white gloves or walked on eggshells around me.
#15152984
Wellsy wrote:I hope you don’t conflate racism and notions of kinship/relatedness in evolutionary biology and then project it onto Sapolsky who is very careful in his theoretical distinction and interaction of biology and culture.
An interview with Dr. Sapolsky.
https://www.tehrantimes.com/news/450016/Racism-inequality-and-conflict-an-interview-with-Prof-Robert

In fact if you watch his first lecture out of a series on Stanford he points out many who have crudely abused biological science to terrible ends on such grounds.



I agree, but in the same lectures he also points out to the limbic system and the amygdala. IN the same article he mentions how the amygdala lights up in 75% of white people when they see a black face. Sure, this is learned, but the physiology is there. He is always careful to insert the role of the environment.

He also emphasizes how a common culture or set of goals brings different people together. We are doing the opposite. We are preaching a system that leads to balkanization.


And here’s the most heartening news: These brain responses can be fairly easily overridden. Chad Forbes at the University of Delaware demonstrated that if whites viewed a black face while hearing loud rap music, the amygdaloid response got even bigger. But put that same face over death-metal music — associated with negative white stereotypes — and you don’t get the same amygdala reaction.

Moreover, the brain’s response to race can be overridden by re-categorizing people. As reported by Robert Kurzban at the University of Pennsylvania, subjects shown a film clip of a mixed-race crowd of people tended to unconsciously categorize people in the crowd by race. But if people in that crowd were wearing one of two different sports jerseys, subjects categorized them by team affiliation instead of by race. In other words, if the brain evolved to make automatic racial distinctions, it evolved even more strongly to differentiate between Dodgers fans and Giants fans.

Finally, work by Susan Fiske at Princeton found something else that can override the amygdala response to another race. Subjects were asked to decide whether people in the pictures they were shown would like a particular vegetable. In other words, they were asked to imagine the tastes of the people, to think about what they’d buy in a market, and to imagine them relishing a favorite vegetable over dinner. In that exercise, even if the face a subject saw was of another race, the amygdala wasn’t activated.

In other words, simply thinking about someone as a person rather than a category makes that supposedly brain-based automatic xenophobia toward other races evaporate in an instant.


https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
#15152992
@Julian658 You LIE. Everyone isn't racist. Racism is a learned behavior.

Can a college course teach students to ‘unlearn’ racism?
https://www.studyinternational.com/news ... t-unlearn/

Also, you can choose NOT to be racist, by not engaging in that behavior. being racist, however, is something that YOU are choosing to be, with your moronic posts about that stupid "infantilize minorities" and other racist bullshit. You're simply trying to call others racist, when they call you on the racism, that you constantly employ.

Being anti-racist isn't a religion. It's what considerate people do.
#15153024
Godstud wrote:@Julian658 You LIE. Everyone isn't racist. Racism is a learned behavior.

Can a college course teach students to ‘unlearn’ racism?
https://www.studyinternational.com/news ... t-unlearn/

Also, you can choose NOT to be racist, by not engaging in that behavior. being racist, however, is something that YOU are choosing to be, with your moronic posts about that stupid "infantilize minorities" and other racist bullshit. You're simply trying to call others racist, when they call you on the racism, that you constantly employ.

Being anti-racist isn't a religion. It's what considerate people do.


Your approach is wrong.

Racism is eliminated by exposure.

IF you have two cats and bring a 3rd cat to the house the other two will be highly uncomfortable. With time they accept the 3rd cat. Humans are animals too. They ned frequent exposure.

America is segregated and hence different groups have little exposure to others.

The Neuroscience of Racial Bias

First of all, how do we know that racial biases actually exist? While some may claim that they have no biases, a clever psychological experiment provides objective evidence supporting the notion that the vast majority of us do. In the implicit bias task, participants are shown words on a computer screen like “happy” and “fear,” which they must categorize as positive or negative. What results have consistently shown is that if a black face is quickly flashed before the words, individuals will be faster to correctly categorize negative words, while the same people will be quicker to correctly categorize positive words when they follow white faces. These troubling findings suggest that over 75 percent of Whites and Asians have an implicit racial bias, which affects how they process information and perceive the social world around them.

However, this bias is subconscious and implicit. Whether or not it leads to overtly racist attitudes and behavior depends on an interplay between different brain areas—specifically those that create feelings of fear and promote tribalism, and those that help us regulate and suppress those bad instincts.

Neural Pathways Underlying Racism

Brain imaging studies have shown that people who display an implicit bias have a stronger electrical response to black or other-race faces in an area of the brain known as the amygdala—a structure responsible for processing emotional stimuli and eliciting a fearful or anxious mental state. An exaggerated amygdala response is part of what creates the sudden visceral or “gut feeling” of being scared. And that feeling of fear has additional psychological effects that promote prejudice. It is well-established that when one feels their welfare is being threatened, they tend to become more tribal in their behavior, and additionally bolster their cultural or national worldviews, since it is those worldviews that make them feel safe. In essence, nationalism and prejudice are knee-jerk responses to anxiety.

Fortunately, that isn’t the whole neuroscience story. In people with healthy functioning brains, the fast amygdala response activates a region of the brain known as the prefrontal cortex, which is slower and plays a regulatory role. When the fear system is triggered, prefrontral areas work to assess the situation rationally, and calm the pesky automatic system. Thanks to specific regions like the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, and the anterior cingulate cortex, the brain exercises cognitive control, suppressing inappropriate or prejudice judgments and behavior.

The problem is, not everyone has a healthy functioning prefrontal cortex, and these people are the ones whose biases control them. They cannot reason those fearful surges away because they lack the cognitive mechanisms that normally allow people to do so. Interestingly, brain imaging studies have found links between impaired prefrontal lobe function and religious fundamentalism. While correlation does not always imply causation, a statistical connection between the two would suggest that religious extremism and intolerance for dissimilar others share brain dysfunction commonalities. Studies have also shown that those suffering from addiction to drugs like alcohol or amphetamines also have poor prefrontal circuitry, meaning they have greater difficulty keeping their prejudices and tribal instincts in check. Generally speaking, those who have trouble self-regulating their emotions and controlling their fears are the ones who are more likely to espouse nationalist and racist views.


https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... cist-brain
#15153036
@Julian658

You seem to have given up on supporting any argument you may have had. It is now the usual litany of insults and dodges.

This is boring. Have a good one.
#15153046
@Julian658

So I read the blog post that you highlighted. Here is an even better one:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/neuroscience-in-everyday-life/202006/racism-and-the-brain

So you are using this as an alibi for bad behavior. Clearly that is your intent. What other intent could you have for posting it. You tell me?

But in the link above, you will see that the author makes this statement:

Black Americans are 2.5 times more likely than whites to be killed by police. Despite millions of dollars poured into trainings against such heinous acts, the outcomes have been insufficient. One of the reasons for their failure to cause positive changes may be that they target the logical part of our brain. We must get creative and sculpt workshops that discipline our non-conscious system. It is imperative to access America’s collective non-conscious and do a lot more than remodeling.


But then this:

Moreover, there was a trend toward a greater startle eye-blink when looking at black faces as compared to white faces. Even when black and white faces were subliminally (30ms) presented to participants in the MRI scanner, the amygdala still overreacted to black faces that it did not know (3). But we love Halle Berry and Chris Rock, right? It turns out that the signs of racial bias were extinguished for famous black people. When famous white and black faces were used in the same fMRI study, the amygdala bias disappeared (2).


So this could be used to make a more compelling case for school busing, affirmative action and other forced interaction methods.

Clearly though, this in no way alibis bad behavior. Indeed these data point to the culpability of the person not his/her "innocence".
#15153048
Drlee wrote:@Julian658

So I read the blog post that you highlighted. Here is an even better one:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/neuroscience-in-everyday-life/202006/racism-and-the-brain

So you are using this as an alibi for bad behavior. Clearly that is your intent. What other intent could you have for posting it. You tell me?

But in the link above, you will see that the author makes this statement:



But then this:



So this could be used to make a more compelling case for school busing, affirmative action and other forced interaction methods.

Clearly though, this in no way alibis bad behavior. Indeed these data point to the culpability of the person not his/her "innocence".



Why must you guys always be so combative and acrimonious? Your post above agrees with my views and yet you try hard to assign evil intent to my teachings. IN any event I am glad you and your comrade learned something new.

The way to reduce racism is with familiarity and positive interactions. Forced busing is not positive. :knife: :knife: :knife: You are the worst Republican in the world.
#15153050
Pants-of-dog wrote:@Julian658

You seem to have given up on supporting any argument you may have had. It is now the usual litany of insults and dodges.

This is boring. Have a good one.

POD, your perception is your reality. There is nothing I can do to change that.
#15153053
Julian658 wrote:POD, your perception is your reality. There is nothing I can do to change that.


Actually, you can change my perception.

You just have to present facts that are verified.

So far, you have not presented facts. For example, you think that professor was fired from Evergreen. And you think he was fired for being white. Neither of these things are verified facts.
#15153055
Pants-of-dog wrote:Actually, you can change my perception.

You just have to present facts that are verified.

So far, you have not presented facts. For example, you think that professor was fired from Evergreen. And you think he was fired for being white. Neither of these things are verified facts.

He was insulted by his students for not staying home on a day where whites were excluded from the campus.

Here is a video of unreasonable type lefties (your people) insulting the professor who is a liberal.
#15153056
Julian658 wrote:He was insulted by his students for not staying home on a day where whites were excluded from the campus.


No, that is not why he was insulted. Again, no whites were ever forced off campus, nor did anyone demand that.

Here is a video of unreasonable type lefties (your people) insulting the professor who is a liberal.


He is not progressive. He appeared on Fox to denounce anti-racism.
User avatar
By Wellsy
#15153060
Julian658 wrote:He also emphasizes how a common culture or set of goals brings different people together. We are doing the opposite. We are preaching a system that leads to balkanization.

The biology seems somewhat irrelevant to this more stand out point.
What is the balkanization you speak of and how is it a system which is being preached?

Because if this is about race and ethnicity, there is of course a long history of separation despite being in the same nation, whether it be in terms of legal rights, physical separation, or these days economic segregation.

But perhaps in respect to balkanization you are speaking to debates around multiculturalism and how the US is founded on a sense of being an American, in a way to unite the many disparate immigrants to certain ideals.
But experience American to mean being white or they sense themselves as Americans whilst simultaneously not really apart of America for the earlier reasons of being marginalized in some way.
#15153063
Wellsy wrote:The biology seems somewhat irrelevant to this more stand out point.


Biology is an important component of our humanity. I agree that sociologists cannot see this and they rather assume everything is 100% a social construct. At the e3nd of the day it is biology plus the environment.

What is the balkanization you speak of and how is it a system which is being preached?


See your answer below.

Because if this is about race and ethnicity, there is of course a long history of separation despite being in the same nation, whether it be in terms of legal rights, physical separation, or these days economic segregation.


Integration is important to with regards to end racism. Self segregation is lethal.

But perhaps in respect to balkanization you are speaking to debates around multiculturalism and how the US is founded on a sense of being an American, in a way to unite the many disparate immigrants to certain ideals.



A single monoculture is best suited to end racism. It also fosters unity and solidarity.

But experience American to mean being white or they sense themselves as Americans whilst simultaneously not really apart of America for the earlier reasons of being marginalized in some way.


At some point some people will have to put the past in the past and move ahead to the future. Otherwise, they can fight for a few more centuries or until there is a civil war.
#15153067
Pants-of-dog wrote:@Julian658

Have you done your research yet to figure out where you are wrong about the Evergreen story?

Remember: verification!

OK,
IN your in words: What happened to Professor Bret Weinstein?
#15153068
Julian658 wrote:OK,
IN your in words: What happened to Professor Bret Weinstein?


No.

It is not my job to verify your claims for you.

It is your job.

Let me know if you heed help!
  • 1
  • 17
  • 18
  • 19
  • 20
  • 21
  • 44

Her face is already pumped up with fillers and sh[…]

Atheism is Evil

Essence can also be understood as nature, and w[…]

March 5, Thursday Federals continue digging a […]

The Wuhan virus—how are we doing?

I was not sure if this should be here or in the “U[…]