Which country do you consider the greatest long term threats to your PERSONAL way of life? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Which country do you consider the greatest long term threats to your PERSONAL way of life?

USA
46%
Russia
7%
China
37%
EU
2%
Iran
2%
Lybia/Syria
No votes
0%
SA
No votes
0%
NK
No votes
0%
UK
4%
Other Country
2%
The subject is self-explanatory and the poll is created to measure the opinions on pofo. Please read the question carefully.

NOTE: This is about countries. So do not put capitalism or global warming as an answer and choose a country from the list that might be involved in that behaviour.
Last edited by JohnRawls on 13 Feb 2021 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
I put USA and as such am directly subject to what changes occur and my way of life.
I was going to say China as they can cause a lot of reactions to them internationally, but I can't think of them having greater influence. As it's American laws and conditions which both permit and limit how I can live.

Which perhaps goes against the sentiment of the poll as everyone would just vote their own country. But then I guess I don't know I experience other countries as too much of a threat except to the extent it changes how the home country responds. Maybe would've voted China if I was in Australia. But a lot of the damage is within Australia itself although being taken advantage of by the Chinese.
Last edited by Wellsy on 13 Feb 2021 14:22, edited 1 time in total.
Wellsy wrote:I put USA and as such am directly subject to what changes occur and my way of life.
I was going to say China as they can cause a lot of reactions to them internationally, but I can't think of them having greater influence. As it's American laws and conditions which both permit and limit how I can live.

The question is about threat and not just influence. A person living in the USA obviously will be influenced the most by the US but it doesn't mean that he will view US as a threat though on average. (He might in some lesser cases though) This is not a question of where a person lives. :hmm:
JohnRawls wrote:The question is about threat and not just influence. A person living in the USA obviously will be influenced the most by the US but it doesn't mean that he will view US as a threat though on average. (He might in some lesser cases though)

I still imagine the US as a possible threat due to its influence. Something as simple as a change in laws on parental leave effects the lives around me and thus the conditions of my own life. I don't foresee Chinese undermining my life as directly out here in rural New Mexico. The scary politics for me is largely domestic. The foreign hasn't really stepped up as of yet to make me more concerned. The potential is there but not yet.
No UK?

If we go by the question in hand to me it is the UK. Not that I think the UK is a threat to the world or to my well being, but to my personal way of life, well I have just lost my rights as an EU citizen and may have to claim Scottish citizenry in the future to regain them. We also have the Tories in power and BoJo needs to be replaced by Sunak to at least build bridges before the next election. The rest of the choices although have home and international issues, aren't influencing my life at the moment.
JohnRawls wrote:
@B0ycey

It is not physically possible to include all of the countries on the list. I guess it will have to go under "Other" category.

I did put other. However I do think the phase should have been considered as in the grand scheme of things, the UK isn't a bad country. But it by far influences my life and as such is a long term threat to it.
B0ycey wrote:I did put other. However I do think the phase should have been considered as in the grand scheme of things, the UK isn't a bad country. But it by far influences my life and as such is a long term threat to it.

Fine, i have added UK. Please all-revote who has already voted. It has been early. @Wellsy Plus the person who voted for China.
I also voted US, partially for the same reasons as @Wellsy, but also because their continued bumbling response to Covid is directly impacting everyone's lives here already, and if it continues it could easily cause a long term economic depression. The fact that the government is wholly unwilling to lift a finger to help people who are struggling also gives an insight into what the future might look like.

From next year I'll most likely be back in the UK, and I guess the biggest "threat" - beyond the UK's equally hopeless Covid response - would most likely be from the UK-EU relationship deteriorating enough for a resumption of violence in Northern Ireland, and this spilling over into Britain. I think that's unlikely though.

I think if a westerner seriously considers Russia, China or North Korea to be a threat to their personal way of life, they should cancel their cable news subscriptions and have a lie down. :excited:
I don't understand the point of this poll. Most people will reasonably vote for the country they live in.

I'd also vote for the US, I guess, since I live here. Arguably one could vote for it or China if living elsewhere and voting for wherever one is located at is not allowed, since they can effectively regulate the internet in such a way that it can definitely affect one's daily life.
That's a tough question.

I'm surrounded by the EU, which is increasily keen to punish third countries for wanting to stay away from the club.

I can see the US going sideways in the next decades. That would have enormous negative consequences for Europe as well, given the close relations.

China is far away, but I don't think Europe will remain unaffected by a conflict in the region.

Russia is unstable, which is dangerous given its huge nuclear arsenal.

So many threats, I honestly can't decide. :excited:

wat0n wrote:I don't understand the point of this poll. Most people will reasonably vote for the country they live in.

Yeah that should be forbidden.
@wat0n @Rugoz

That is also fine. Considering your own country to be the biggest threat to your personal way of life is sure very "Western". This kind of mentality is hard to imagine in China or Russia or any other more dictatorial parts of the world.
If I had to vote other than US than I would say China in that I think competition with them is going to define international politics more and more and its going to be ugly. Plus Chinese capital is finding itself everywhere. Because money is money so who is gonna stop em?
I've put the United States, because Australian culture, and hence Australian politics, is effectively downstream from that of America. Australia would not be engaged in the current culture war with China if the opinions of its populous and its politicians were not shaped by people in the United States.

@KurtFF8 Litwin wages a psyops war here but we […]

[usermention=41202] @late[/usermention] Are you[…]

[usermention=41202] @late[/usermention] The[…]

I (still) have a dream

Because the child's cattle-like parents "fol[…]