Is NYC dead forever? - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By late
Oxymoron wrote:
yeah like a toilet overflowing the shit gets spread around :lol: and the grown ups will have to come in and clean the mess.

That's exactly what Biden has to do, clean up as many of the hundreds of messes Trump made as he can.

That's what Dems have been doing since Nixon, they make a gawdawful mess, and we have to try to clean it up.
By Doug64
Rancid wrote:The articles I've seen say's the liberals are bringing in their views. This is happening in Georgia too, and we've seen what has just happened there.

Yes, we’ve seen what happens when you ignore or dumb down laws intended to protect the integrity of the vote. But getting back to the actual question of the political leanings of those moving out of Blue states, of course a number of them are Liberals. The question is what the ratio is, and if Cruz’s election is any indication it tilts Conservative. Do you know of any other polls or surveys looking at the political leanings of Red state newcomers?

Another point—if the outflow leans Conservative, how about the political leanings of the inflow? I would expect that to lean Liberal, so the Blue states would be growing more Blue from both sides.
By Oxymoron
late wrote:That's exactly what Biden has to do, clean up as many of the hundreds of messes Trump made as he can.

That's what Dems have been doing since Nixon, they make a gawdawful mess, and we have to try to clean it up.

Sure and That is why the lefty cunts are running from all the Democratic shithole's to Red States.
By late
Oxymoron wrote:
Sure and That is why the lefty cunts are running from all the Democratic shithole's to Red States.

Do you know how to think?
Oxymoron wrote:Sure and That is why the lefty cunts are running from all the Democratic shithole's to Red States.

You realize these are businesses in blue states that are funding the work from home shit, right?
By Oxymoron
SpecialOlympian wrote:You realize these are businesses in blue states that are funding the work from home shit, right?

For now.... as people move so will the Businesses, as they are already doing in many places.
By late
Back to the OP for a minute.

"Location, location, location", we've all heard, NYC has it.

NYC has been around for centuries, and has had many ups and downs. Manhattan was once the beating heart of the city, but the rich took it over, and the skyrocketing rents pushed most away.

In time, they will come back. For example, you have a part in a play, if the rents come down enough, do you want a 15 minute commute, or an hour (or more) commute. They didn't have a choice before, they do now.

The question to me is how long it will take, and what form it will take. No doubt it will be a changed place. But, in the long run, it may be better for it.
By Doug64
@late, you’re right about the drop in rent and the opportunity it affords, but the biggest problem for New York State generally and NYC specifically is the tax base. As United Van Lines’ study demonstrates, the wealthiest are moving out at the same time that the least wealthy (in the study’s categories) are moving in—that means that NYC is looking at a drop in tax income at the very moment that demands on city services is likely going up. That equation should be setting off all kinds of alarm bells. As I posted earlier, I believe that the isolation mandated by the Wuhan virus has jumpstarted a shift to remote working for a lot of workers. Cities like New York could find themselves in the same position as the English nobility after the Black Death—for those nobility, the question was how to force the peasants to continue working for low wages/benefits when their labor had become much more valuable, while for some cities it’s a question of how to get the well-off to continue to live there (and pay taxes) when they’ve discovered they can live elsewhere with a lighter tax burden just as comfortably. The example you gave of a play? The shows are likely to follow the wealthy. Likewise the restaurants, etc.
Doug64 wrote:Yes, we’ve seen what happens when you ignore or dumb down laws intended to protect the integrity of the vote.

By that I assume you mean that the laws were actually followed.

And the result is that black people get to vote.

I can see why Republicans hate that.
By late
Doug64 wrote:[usermention=41202]

@late[/usermention], you’re right about the drop in rent and the opportunity it affords, but the biggest problem for New York State generally and NYC specifically is the tax base. As United Van Lines’ study demonstrates, the wealthiest are moving out at the same time that the least wealthy (in the study’s categories) are moving in—that means that NYC is looking at a drop in tax income at the very moment that demands on city services is likely going up. That equation should be setting off all kinds of alarm bells. As I posted earlier, I believe that the isolation mandated by the Wuhan virus has jumpstarted a shift to remote working for a lot of workers. Cities like New York could find themselves in the same position as the English nobility after the Black Death—for those nobility, the question was how to force the peasants to continue working for low wages/benefits when their labor had become much more valuable, while for some cities it’s a question of how to get the well-off to continue to live there (and pay taxes) when they’ve discovered they can live elsewhere with a lighter tax burden just as comfortably. The example you gave of a play? The shows are likely to follow the wealthy. Likewise the restaurants, etc.

You are looking at what is basically a static picture. I fully expect Biden to help cities and states. In less than a year, we will have herd immunity, and people will be coming back. Yes, it will take years to recover, and it prob won't be the same. But recover it will.
By Doug64
@late, but it isn’t a static picture. The exodus out of New York is a strengthening of a years-long trend, not the beginning of one. The state was already looking at losing one or two House seats after the 2020 census before the Wuhan virus hit. So why should we expect that trend to reverse? When many of the draws to the city are gone, crime is on the rise, and taxes are inevitably going to be increased, why should those leaving now return except to visit?
By late
Doug64 wrote:
@late, but it isn’t a static picture. The exodus out of New York is a strengthening of a years-long trend, not the beginning of one. The state was already looking at losing one or two House seats after the 2020 census before the Wuhan virus hit. So why should we expect that trend to reverse? When many of the draws to the city are gone, crime is on the rise, and taxes are inevitably going to be increased, why should those leaving now return except to visit?

For what it has to offer.

Let's put this on hold for a year, and see what things are like at that point.
While NYC may be losing some people in the last few years, 2016 was a record high population that has steadily increased since 1980.

The current drop in population seems to be far less than the significant loss in the 1970s.
By Doug64
late wrote:Let's put this on hold for a year, and see what things are like at that point.

Fair enough, though I'll probably drop in occasionally if any articles pop up of major companies leaving the city or the like.
By Rancid
Rancid wrote:NYC will recover. Just like most other places will.

We are now starting to see article saying how places like NYC will recover faster than most other places. :lol:

As usual, I'm right.
By wat0n
Those who fall the most, should bounce the most too.

But it is true there are some changes that will relieve some of the pressures in the large cities. Honestly, that's probably a good thing.
Rancid wrote:We are now starting to see article saying how places like NYC will recover faster than most other places. :lol:

As usual, I'm right.

NO! Cities are BAD and filled with LIBERALS!!! I want them to burn!!! All of the news sources I get my info from are good faith actors and I am an emotionally well adjusted person you piece of shit!!

Cities are filled with woke cancelling gay antifa supersoldiers and are doomed to fail!!!
By Doug64
Rancid wrote:We are now starting to see article saying how places like NYC will recover faster than most other places. :lol:

As usual, I'm right.

Any links?
This thread is still going? :lol:

I love how the chuds were so quick to claim NYC as their own after 9/11, because it gave them a convenient casus belli for incinerating brown people on the other side of the world.

Good to see they're back doing what comes far more naturally to them: totally good faith concern trolling about the sacred "tax base" and the minutiae of a municipal budget that even New Yorkers themselves struggle to care about.

Helping Ukraine to defeat the Russian invasion an[…]

@annatar1914 do not despair. Again, el amor pu[…]

I think we really have to ask ourselves what t[…]

How about Russia uses a battle field nuclear we[…]