Democrats to introduce bill to pack the Supreme Court - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Rugoz wrote:If you haven't noticed, there are voters behind Republican politicians, and they have to opposite view than you have. Those are Americans, and you can't just wish them away with a "fuck them". If the Dems escalate by expanding the court, the Republican base will demand a response.

Long story short: America is fucked.
Rugoz wrote:

How very noble of you. If you do this, you have to make sure the Republicans never win again.

Republicans at every level are currently working to make sure Dems can't win.

That crisis isn't going to show up at our door, it's inside, in bed, waiting with a knife.
Saeko wrote:For once I agree with @Istanbuller.

Mitch McConnell has spent the last twelve years destroying the legislative branch so he could pack the courts. If this bill passes, it will undo his entire legacy. All of his long years of obstructionism, and absolutely nothing to show for it. After this, there will never again be another Mitch McConnell.

McConnell was a very horrific pig. I say destroy all his work. FAST.
Rugoz wrote:If you haven't noticed, there are voters behind Republican politicians, and they have to opposite view than you have. Those are Americans, and you can't just wish them away with a "fuck them". If the Dems escalate by expanding the court, the Republican base will demand a response.

What this does show is that hardcore Democrats aren't all that different from hardcore Republicans after all.

Not that we didn't know this, but it's good to see that as a naked truth, finally.
wat0n wrote:What this does show is that hardcore Democrats aren't all that different from hardcore Republicans after all.

Not that we didn't know this, but it's good to see that as a naked truth, finally.

To be fair, American institutions are designed to be anti-majoritarian, so the frustration on the left in understandable. But expanding the SCOTUS is not a productive or sustainable reform. In fact it would be more productive if the blue states declared their intention to secede. At least then there could be debate about how American institutions should look like in the 21th century.

There are voters behind Democratic politicians too. What kind of bs argument is this?
Saeko wrote:The Republicans will escalate anyway. They demand your money or they'll break your legs. But when you give them your money, they break your legs anyway and then demand even more money or they'll break your legs again. It's been like this on repeat for a while now. Fuck them.

Do you actually believe the shit you type, or is this some mixture of drunk anger-posting and the peer-pressuring desire to go "woke"?
Goranhammer wrote:Do you actually believe the shit you type, or is this some mixture of drunk anger-posting and the peer-pressuring desire to go "woke"?

No that is observing Republican pigs behaviors of not wanting minorities to vote, losing popular votes and becoming obsessed with retaining power without any of the conventional institutionalized forms of a representative democracy.

They are despots and must be treated like damn despots. Because they are. They are a bunch of assholes who only believe in their own power and don't give a damn about working people, voters or being Christians. A bunch of hypocritical, nasty, disgusting pieces of lying jelly fish cowards who did not stand up to Trump and did NOTHING but stand around hoping some racist pigs like the Confederate white nationalists would off some liberals and make them kings forever.

No respect for those people!
Tainari88 wrote:No that is observing Republican pigs behaviors of not wanting minorities to vote

Factually incorrect. Secure voting laws have nothing to do with race. They have to do with...wait for it...security. Georgia was behind on the times, and even with the passing of the bill, there are many other states with considerably more stringent voting requirements.

losing popular votes and becoming obsessed with retaining power without any of the conventional institutionalized forms of a representative democracy

Nobody wants to lose votes or power. You're making that out to be a Republican thing. It's not.

Hell, look at your friends, the Democrats. Right now they're in clear power. You're supporting an initiative for them to have absolute power. You're everything that you say you hate about Republicans.

You sound like you've just been brainwashed by MSNBC and other fringe outlets. You don't even have a legitimate basis for your claims. You just spout a bunch of insults, half-truths, and rhetoric that isn't worth a lick of spit.

You don't sound rational at all. You sound like a dog who's been told to bark, unconditionally.
I don't care about your opinion Goran. You are a very very biased conservative and I don't care what your opinion is. The Republicans are pigs. All of the ones who keep wanting to restrict voting don't believe in democracy. They want to be paid off and be cowards and obstruct voting peoples wills.

I don't care about the Democrats said. They have their issues as well. But all in all the legit basis is this:

Georgia has always had TONS of Black people. Black people that never vote consistently. Why? The history of Georgia. A bunch of these states are changing and going purple or going blue. It is not a happy day for the idiots who wanted Trump to stay in power for a second term.

I think the USA is going to be in a heated battle between a bunch of neoliberals/neocons and Right Wing jelly fish for spine conservative Republicans who are paid off by a bunch of corporations and lobbyists and special interest groups.

I say DESTROY everything that nightmare of a man McConnell has done. EVERYTHING. All he did was obstruct the people's will. His work is based on filibusters invented in the racism scene in DC. That old racist shit needs to BURN IN HELL.
Goranhammer wrote:The belief that anyone would support this is astonishing. Government tends to work the best when one party, regardless of the party, isn't in absolute control. This bill would be designed to do just that.

If there was at LEAST Republican control in either of the other 3 facets (executive, Senate, House), I'd be okay with it. To say that this is tyrannical is not very off the mark whatsoever.

The Republicans packed the Republican Supreme Court whan your avatar and Mitch McConnell controlled the outher branches of government. The Democrats should copy them now.
Suchard wrote:This post is written by someone who most likely thinks poorly of Democrats regardless of what happens.

No, that is written by someone who feels threatened. Why? I cannot imagine, it is not like Democrats will have the balls to see this through.
Also the fear is misplaced, the country is more progressive/liberal than what the courts/congress is composed off, furthermore the COVID situation has accelerated this shift of American politics. Reshaping of court/congress it is almost certain the only variable is how long it takes.
Why would he feel threatened if he's Swiss and lives in Switzerland? :eh:

But yes, as someone who actually lives in the US it is concerning to see these attacks against the system of checks and balances. Trump began those but, as I said, hardcore Democrats seem to be of the same view in this matter: Checks and balances suck when we're on power.

Biden and Pelosi do seem to be more grown up, thankfully.
Rugoz wrote:What wat0n said. Also, you will have a liberal court until the Republicans do their own supreme court expansion. How does that not compute?

Long-term it would destroy the SCOTUS, which, in another time in another place, might even be a good thing, but not today in America.

Yes I agree. All this means is that if the Dems were to pack the courts, the GOP would do the same the next time they have the chance (if not worse knowing how they operate).

What this does is further politicize the SCOTUS. It will just mean any time all 3 parties control both houses and POTUS they will control the SCOTUS too, which is disgusting and undemocratic as the SCOTUS is the last institutional check on their lawmaking power. This is completely against the Founding Fathers design which wanted separation of powers and checks and balances to prevent the concentration of power and tyranny.

The entire system is built on this fear. This is why George Washington VOLUNTARILY deciding not to run for a 3rd term despite being very popular and people urging him to run. He didn't want to be another King George.
late wrote:It's already one of the most partisan courts in American history, and it's getting worse.

Under the new arrangement, all it would take is one judge on either side to swing the decision.

Look at my thread, "Judges gone feral".

Would you say the same if the current situation were reversed and most of the SCOTUS judges were liberal leaning rather than conservative leaning? I highly doubt it. This is a political play. It's about power. I'd much rather a liberal-leaning SCOTUS, the GOP are a terrible party and their picks suck, but this isn't the way to do it. You don't get to change the rules of the game just because you're losing so that you can win. Just like how the GOP shouldn't be gerrymandering Congressional districts. It's undemocratic.
Rugoz wrote:They have appointed judges according to the rules. The rules might be broken, but expanding the court solves exactly nothing.

If they want a less partisan SCOTUS, they should amend the laws to where 75% of both the House and Senate needs to vote to approve a SCOTUS nominee. But only amend these rules with an overwhelming bipartisan support as well.
late wrote:Is only a teeny tiny part of the story.

Lying by omission..

McConnell got his majority of kooks, Roberts can no longer hold them back when they go way, way too far. It took a while, but he got there. You are trying to imply there is a balance when clearly that is long gone.

Oh, wait, are you telling bedtime stories?

You can call them cooks, maybe they are, but your or my opinion isn't in any way relevant. They were nominated by a POTUS who was elected and McConnell and the rest of the Senate were too. Are you trying to disenfranchise these voters and game the system just because they don't vote the way you like? That's what it sounds like to me.

How is packing the court much different than the GOP gerrymandering districts?

You are a supporter of the genocide against the P[…]

@skinster well, you've been accusing Israel of t[…]

Before he was elected he had a charity that he wo[…]

Candace Owens

... Too bad it's not as powerful as it once was. […]