The Wuhan virus—how are we doing? - Page 98 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Pants-of-dog wrote:I find it very difficult to read the news about India these days.

We, the entire world, have not done enough.

Agreed. And until we all help Asia we won't be open to others, and this includes the USA. Keep the border shut.
In the latest humiliating blow to the Lockdown Liberals Sweden has now dropped to 32nd in deaths per million. These hypocrites still whine on that Sweden's rate is worse than Denmark. Denmark applied lockout as well as lockdown, but most importantly Denmark has had a very different immigration policy to Sweden. If you create overcrowded, crime ridden, sanctuary cities, of course you're going to have worse health outcomes its not rocket science.
Pants-of-dog wrote:I find it very difficult to read the news about India these days.

Well yes from the lying mainstream liberal media, you certainly wouldn't know that India has a death rate only a third of their newly beloved Denmark. But yes it is strange. They had beaten the virus, but then they started rolling out the vaccine and people started dying.
@Rich Only 1.6% of Indians are fully vaccinated. It has nothing to do with the vaccine. That's bullshit and this has nothing to do with politics, or any other conspiracy theory bullshit.

The infection rate in India is around 400,000/day, which is worse than in the USA, at any time during the last year.

You can do the math, can't you? Simple math shows what countries have the worst problems, and it has nothing to do with the vaccines.
Sweden, population 10 million. 14,000 deaths.
USA, population 328 million. 576,000 deaths.
Denmark, population 6 million. 2,400 deaths.
Brazil, population 211 million. 403,000 deaths.
South Korea, population 51 million. 1,800 deaths.
Thailand, population 69 million. 200 deaths.
Australia, population 25 million. 900 deaths.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Want to know what the differences were?

Lockdowns.
Guess which countries had reasonably strict lockdowns. The countries that have low death rates made sure they enforced lockdowns, including travel restrictions.

As for the vaccine problem...

Many assume that a vaccine means that it's cured... Ignorance.

Another problem is that as soon as a vaccine is being distributed, people let their guard down and assume it's beaten, and go back to life as usual, when it's not even close to being there yet. Thailand has had a resurgence of Covid-19 because of the April Songkran holiday, where everyone went back to business as usual(going home for the holiday from Bangkok, etc.). It's now worse than it was a year ago, by a factor of 10.

Now the government has had to implement an even stricter lockdown, but in some ways is failing to restrict travel. We'll see how it works out, I guess.
I see Rich has decided to keep up the lying. About the South African variant and the Israeli results this is the truth:

The coronavirus variant discovered in South Africa may be better at breaking through the protection provided by the Pfizer vaccine, but the shot remains highly effective, Israeli researchers have said.

No surprise though. For Doug and Rich this is not a disease with a scientific cause and cure. It is a political opportunity lost.
Good News. REPUBLICAN governor DeSantis of Florida has decided to deliberately murder thousands of Floridians by disallowing local Covid restrictions regardless of the reason for them. This, of course, is consistent with the new REPUBLICAN belief that local control of government is wrong headed and should be suppressed. It is the new REPUBLICAN belief that only national policies should be considered and that local communities are incapable of governing themselves.

And the killing continues. The REPUBLICAN party still refuses to vigorously encourage vaccination so we will never achieve herd immunity in the US. We will inevitably turn out an extremely dangerous variant and millions will die because of REPUBLICANS and their unintelligent followers.

And this rant is brought to you by a lifelong republican.
I really don't understand this line of thinking by republicans. Besides getting a bunch of people killed, what do republicans hope to achieve with such an idiotic policy? I am glad I am fully vaccinated against COVID now, but that doesn't mean I still can't catch it.
It is baffling. It is maniacal. They are literally killing their children and parents because they find some political value in talking a bunch of Bubbas into thinking they are immortal, white, culturally pure icons.

What will history say? You and I will have gone to the wall before history even takes notice of this.

I would add parenthetically that the concept of history as I was raised to know it, no longer exists.

So, really late this week, busier than usual. But here are the numbers.

The pace of schools reopening is slowing down, but Vermont has joined the ranks of the 90%+.

And I thought I'd avoid cluttering the Rasmussen Poll thread with posts about herd immunity. Essentially, herd immunity is generally taken to require between 70-80% of the population to be either vaccination or have fought off the disease, the variation depending on how contagious the disease in question is. So if 69% of American Adults have confidence in the effectiveness of the vaccines, one can assume they'll be willing to be vaccinated sooner or later. Combine that with those that have anti-bodies due to exposure, whether or not they're symptomatic, and herd immunity should be within reach. And as it turns out, some states in the US, at least, are probably pretty close:

NIH boss says certain US regions ‘getting close’ to COVID-19 herd immunity

COVID cases are suddenly falling in 4 hard-hit Northeastern states. Does that mean herd immunity is on the way?

Oh, and the question of the effectiveness of lockdowns? Not only are they of doubtful usefulness, but they have negative effects that are possibly more lethal than the Wuhan virus. And while most of those deaths might be in poor countries, not all of them.
Doug64 wrote:Image

The people who made these images are making decisions about policy that are not based on science.

You were very critical of Dr. Fauci when you convinced yourself he did the exact same thing.

And I thought I'd avoid cluttering the Rasmussen Poll thread with posts about herd immunity. Essentially, herd immunity is generally taken to require between 70-80% of the population to be either vaccination or have fought off the disease, the variation depending on how contagious the disease in question is.

Please provide the science supporting this number for a herd immunity threshold.

So if 69% of American Adults have confidence in the effectiveness of the vaccines, one can assume they'll be willing to be vaccinated sooner or later. Combine that with those that have anti-bodies due to exposure, whether or not they're symptomatic, and herd immunity should be within reach. And as it turns out, some states in the US, at least, are probably pretty close:

NIH boss says certain US regions ‘getting close’ to COVID-19 herd immunity

COVID cases are suddenly falling in 4 hard-hit Northeastern states. Does that mean herd immunity is on the way?

That source says that the current estimate for herd immunity is between 70% and 85%. Considering the Brazil experience, it is at the higher end. Let us say 80% for ease of discussion.

Which region in the USA is at 80% immunity?

Oh, and the question of the effectiveness of lockdowns? Not only are they of doubtful usefulness, but they have negative effects that are possibly more lethal than the Wuhan virus. And while most of those deaths might be in poor countries, not all of them.

Quote the relevant text.

You seem to be citing the same doctor who predicted that Sweden’s death rate would never go above 7 000.

He was wrong then, so why should he be right now?
As usual Doug does not understand the science but he is undeterred by his ignorance.

Most epidemiologists with whom I am conversing believe that because of Republican Sabotage the US will not achieve herd immunity in the foreseeable future. Remember that a drop in infections does not necessarily foretell herd immunity.

Doug's two cartoons are pieces deliberately designed to kill people. Typical of a Trump supporting Republican.
@Doug64 last I heard, the CDC has relaxed their recommendations for people that have been vaccinated. :?:

I get my second shot tomorrow. I was able to find an appt at another pharmacy. If you guys recall, I was left in limbo because I was supposed to get the J&J, but then it was paused. They gave me pfizer with no guarantee of a second.
Lucky you. I got my first shot May 3. Trudeau wants everyone to get their first shot before they start receiving the second so God knows when that will occur.
Stormsmith wrote:Lucky you. I got my first shot May 3. Trudeau wants everyone to get their first shot before they start receiving the second so God knows when that will occur.

Good luck
It looks like it's going to cost me around $120 to get an American vaccine shot, here in Thailand, since they have to specifically import it. My wife and I will get one despite the price.
Rancid wrote:@Doug64 last I heard, the CDC has relaxed their recommendations for people that have been vaccinated. :?:

I get my second shot tomorrow. I was able to find an appt at another pharmacy. If you guys recall, I was left in limbo because I was supposed to get the J&J, but then it was paused. They gave me pfizer with no guarantee of a second.

Fuck you.... I didn't get priority because we had people that had to be on site, mostly admins and devops guys who got vaccinated already since like March. Kinda unfair but we were told that we can't get too many shots as priority. Hopefully this month i'll be getting my 1st shot :hmm:
Godstud wrote:It looks like it's going to cost me around $120 to get an American vaccine shot, here in Thailand, since they have to specifically import it. My wife and I will get one despite the price.

I wonder if that's part of the 60 million that was signed off to be exported from the US.

JohnRawls wrote:Fuck you.... I didn't get priority because we had people that had to be on site, mostly admins and devops guys who got vaccinated already since like March. Kinda unfair but we were told that we can't get too many shots as priority. Hopefully this month i'll be getting my 1st shot :hmm:

Apologies. Hopefully they become more available to the rest of the world soon.

No side affects on the second shot, except for a sore arm. I had to beers..... :|
I have finished my second Sinopharm shot. It kicked my ass - bedridden for two days, and still a lingering cough a week later. WHO published its efficacy today - 78%. Hopefully it can do some good in the developing world. My QR code to access public spaces has a shiny gold border now so everyone knows how cool and immune to covid I am.

No, it does not. It is governed by the rather vagu[…]

Go tell this to all states that have establishe[…]

Trump is selling Trump Bibles for $59.99. The guy[…]

@KurtFF8 Litwin wages a psyops war here but we[…]