Ransomware Attack Shuts Down American Fuel Pipeline - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Politics_Observer wrote:@Rancid

Rancid when are you going to get your Security+ and Offensive Security certifications? They could use a fellow like you to help secure the country from these kinds of attacks. You would probably make big money too.

I "restarted" my engineering career a few times (meaning, changed fields within the industry), and I think it set me back in terms of pay/promotion. Not in the mood to do that again. Doing that delayed my promotion/pay to my current level easily by like 4 years I would say. There's a lot of money I basically left on the table by changing fields, especially if you count the fact that at higher grade levels, you get way bigger stocks, bonuses, etc.

Maybe when cyber world war I kicks off will I answer the call of duty.
@Rancid

I can understand that. I guess I'll answer the cyber security call of duty :lol: . That is, after I finish my Masters. My wife called me and told me one of the main gas stations in my area just ran out of gas because of this whole mess.
Last edited by Politics_Observer on 11 May 2021 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
Politics_Observer wrote:Ransomware Cyber Attack on Colonial Fuel Pipeline

I think this article lays bare two important things the United States must start taking seriously:

• Cybersecurity for the nation
  • The need to upgrade our aging infrastructure

I know the democrats want to address these issues. However, I am curious what kind of plan do the republicans have to address these issues? Anybody? Another question I have for republicans is if they are still in denial about the Russian state hacking of our elections and how they feel about the fact this hack appears to have been done by a Russian criminal group (though not the Russian state this time)?

Will republicans be in denial about this too and be negligent in defending our nation as well as ensure it has the infrastructure it needs to function and operate? Will the republicans remain in denial about these very serious threats to the defense of our nation as well as our economy? Do they even have a real plan?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/10/politics ... index.html

Moscow did it
Politics_Observer wrote:@Rancid

I can understand that. I guess I'll answer the cyber security call of duty :lol: . That is, after I finish my Masters. My wife called me and told me one of the main gas stations in my area just ran out of gas because of this whole mess.

Good luck. I do not believe we are risk, but I did fill up the cars yesterday to be safe. I'm not driving my car much, so I will siphon gas from my car to my wife's if needed.
Politics_Observer wrote:@B0ycey

You have to consider that this cyber attack was an attack on the life blood of the U.S. economy. What if this attack was much more successful and broad? What would the implications for the U.S. economy be? What about the possibility that future hacks could effect the global economy?

Well I kind of agree with your message but really want to emphasis a point. The government - and when I say that I mean all governments not just the US, really should be investing heavily in cyber security given it is the new warfare. The issue here is the private sector was running a pipeline that should be run by the government due to profits and cost cutting resulted in cyber security being relaxed I suspect - but that is another issue all together. Also in my opinion the net result is the same here as in warfare. The pipeline could have been struck by a missle and you would be in a race to get it back on line. So rather than piss about with 'Space Force', what you need to be doing is coming back home and having 'Cyber Force' to stop being a potential target.
B0ycey wrote: So rather than piss about with 'Space Force', what you need to be doing is coming back home and having 'Cyber Force' to stop being a potential target.

Hey hey hey, the space force isn't a horrible idea/concept.

But yes, seems like an electronic warfare branch of the military needs to be created.
Pants-of-dog wrote:Is Colonial Pipelines privately owned?

If so, that would mean the defence of the computers running the pipelines would be the responsibility of the owners.

Yes.

As for the defense of the infrastructure. Yes, it should be the owners. However, given it's critical nature to national security, it would likely need government oversight. Anyway, aside from that, it's common for the military to protect private assets. This happens a lot with ships that get hijacked by pirates for example.

I recall that ship hijacking that happened some years ago, where they sent UK special forces. The coast guard does this too.
Rancid wrote:Hey hey hey, the space force isn't a horrible idea/concept.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it is a horrible idea Rancid, but it is perhaps a few decades away from being relevant. Your Satellites are more at risk of random Space debris hitting it than the ballistic missiles from rogue states. And a part from a single prototype magnet in space, nobody has done anything about that and this is a far bigger issue than a hypothetical.

Also, the irony is satellite security is more Earth based anyway due to... hacking. So I would say Trump... and now Biden should actually move whatever money you have earmarked into Space Force and into Cyber Security regardless if it was a good idea or not. Always focus on the risk of today rather than concentrate on the risk of tomorrow for tomorrow it may turn out to be no risk at all.
B0ycey wrote:
I wouldn't go as far as to say it is a horrible idea Rancid, but it is perhaps a few decades away from being relevant. Your Satellites are more at risk of random Space debris hitting it than the ballistic missiles from rogue states. And a part from a single prototype magnet in space, nobody has done anything about that and this is a far bigger issue than a hypothetical.

Also, the irony is satellite security is more Earth based anyway due to... hacking. So I would say Trump... and now Biden should actually move whatever money you have earmarked into Space Force and into Cyber Security regardless if it was a good idea or not. Always focus on the risk of today rather than concentrate on the risk of tomorrow for tomorrow it may turn out to be no risk at all.

That is the precisely what the space force would do. monitor space junk from earth. Also monitor hacking, etc. etc. It's isn't about putting weapons or defending against weapons in space. The whole sending weapons to space or whatever was just the joke/gag everyone ran with because the space force was created under Trump's watch.
Darkside used compromised contractor accounts to access Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) that had been put in place to facilitate remote access during the pandemic. The Russian group is comprised of former IT security professionals who have techniques to evade detection on monitored devices. Israel similarly carried out cyberattack on the Natanz nuclear facility recently. They probably used infected removable drives such as USB flash drives that belong to some workers at Iran's nuclear facilities.
Rancid wrote:Hey hey hey, the space force isn't a horrible idea/concept

Yes. Yes it was.

The Space Force is just a renaming. The Air Force already did everything the USSF was designated to do. It was basically just taking something out of a box and putting it into a different one. Contents are still the same.

The Space Force is just superfluous. It was basically just meant to stir up pro-America sentiment when liberal vs. conservative banter was at its highest.

In other words - a distraction.
@ThirdTerm @Rancid @Goranhammer @B0ycey @Potemkin

Well I can confirm that some gas stations in my area ran out of gas. Others have just only diesel fuel. I managed to find one gas station that still had unleaded and filled my wife's car up. Going to fill up my other car if that same gas station still has gas left. Some people are worried if they will have gas to get to work. I also agree we need to keep the space force.
Goranhammer wrote:
Yes. Yes it was.

The Space Force is just a renaming. The Air Force already did everything the USSF was designated to do. It was basically just taking something out of a box and putting it into a different one. Contents are still the same.

The Space Force is just superfluous. It was basically just meant to stir up pro-America sentiment when liberal vs. conservative banter was at its highest.

In other words - a distraction.

Fuck, fine... whatever.

Politics_Observer wrote:@ThirdTerm @Rancid @Goranhammer @B0ycey @Potemkin

Well I can confirm that some gas stations in my area ran out of gas. Others have just only diesel fuel. I managed to find one gas station that still had unleaded and filled my wife's car up. Going to fill up my other car if that same gas station still has gas left. Some people are worried if they will have gas to get to work. I also agree we need to keep the space force.

Sorry to hear man. It's gonna turn into mad max out there.

I don't believe there are fuel shortages here.
@Rancid

We have fuel shortages where i am located. Some places use paper taped to the gas pump terminals to indicate they are out of gas while others put bags over the gas pump nozzles. My wife had me go to her work and get her car to find a place to fill up given she was told by her customers some gas stations ran out of gas. She wanted to be sure she had gas to get to work.

@ingliz I know you want this disgusting ideology[…]

He's a parasite

This is another one: https://www.youtube.com/shor[…]

World War II Day by Day

April 18, Thursday The rise of a canny classroom[…]

Seems like the Left in Western European countri[…]