This is why I hate modern Art! - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Saeko wrote:Rich people pay $5,000,000 for a crayon drawing and then people say it's the artists who are stupid.

Quoted for truth. I'm pretty sure that Damien Hirst is taking the piss.

True story: my brother-in-law recently bought a Damien Hirst wall clock at an auction. He paid more than £600 for a common or garden quartz kitchen wall clock that you could pick up in a local supermarket for a tenner. The only thing which Hirst had done to the clock to make it 'special' was to replace the numerals on the clock face with his trademark coloured dots. Even his signature was just printed onto it. And when my brother-in-law proudly handed over his latest acquisition for me to marvel over, I turned it over and noticed that the previous owner had left a battery in the quartz mechanism and it had leaked and corroded the workings. It didn't even fucking work. I said nothing and just handed it back to him. There are no words....
Most art is about money.

That's just the way it is. It's not that the best weren't paid, most were.

You know the old saying, 90% of everything is crap. In art, make that 99%+...

Go see the David. Seriously, I've never suggested anyone go anywhere to see anything else artsy, and I never will.

But the David defines greatness, if I had to pick the single best work of art, that's it. You used to be able to get so close you could almost touch it. I felt a flood of emotion, no other art work has ever come close to that for me.

It's also not the point of my post, just framing my perspective.

Technology is inseparable from art. Art has left the building, so to speak. You can find it elsewhere, in movies, in video games, etc. Technology has moved on, and so has art, for the most part.

There are exceptions, of course. Like that amazing memorial sculpture for MLK..
I once wanted to write a short story about an artist who gathers everyone on the presentation of his last painting. It's in the center of the room, covered by a white sheet, but instead of removing it he starts a long boring speech on how the essence of contemporary art is to remove the border between a creation and a creator, that postmodern is all about making a life of an artist art itself. But it's not enough, we're here to open the new horizons, we are here to make art of the death of the artist. And he cuts his throat with blood splatter on the sheet forming the painting.
Ganeshas Rat wrote:I once wanted to write a short story about an artist who gathers everyone on the presentation of his last painting. It's in the center of the room, covered by a white sheet, but instead of removing it he starts a long boring speech on how the essence of contemporary art is to remove the border between a creation and a creator, that postmodern is all about making a life of an artist art itself. But it's not enough, we're here to open the new horizons, we are here to make art of the death of the artist. And he cuts his throat with blood splatter on the sheet forming the painting.

That's actually not bad; a sort of (post)modern take on Franz Kafka's 'The Hunger Artist'. But it needs more work building up the character and motivations of the artist if it's to be more than just a vignette. But please resist the temptation to give the artist a backstory. I think Kafka got it right; just copy him. Lol.
"Once upon a time in Brussels, the capital of the EU, French-German postmodern artist Jean Baptiste Müller gathered everyone, including EU bureaucrats, of course, on the presentation of his last painting..."

:lol:
Another artist taking the piss.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58746701

Clever idea but it really is lazy bullshit. Artist takes money to create to pieces of art and in return hands back two blank canvasses and calls them 'Take the Money and Run'. It is hard to respect modern art when it is currently a movement of 'who can make the most money from the biggest pile of shit going'. It is also hard to respect modern art when when art was once about aesthetics and talent and now it is only about the message.
Saw today, not entirely realistic but amusing anyway.

Millionaire: hires “artist” to make “art” for 25k

Artist: Puts one streak on a canvas

Millionaire: Thanks artist and has art appraised by appraiser in the same circle of friends.

Appraiser: Appraises art at $20M

Millionaire: Donates $20M artwork to museum to get $20M tax write off.
Pays no taxes for the year.

Me at museum: This is stupid, its just a line on a canvas

Hipster next to me: No, you just don’t understand it because you’re uncultured.
Works of art go through a vetting process. Those found to be of value pass. Those of no value are consigned to the dustbin.

The process -- the winnowing of wheat from chaff -- takes time, sometimes generations.

Patience is suggested.

Regards, stay safe 'n well 'n remember the Big 5.
Torus34 wrote:Works of art go through a vetting process. Those found to be of value pass. Those of no value are consigned to the dustbin.

Define value. The truth is the success and talent attributed to art depends on the name attached to it. Van Gogh's paintings today are highly praised. But in his lifetime he sold one painting. But his story and death brought his paintings to life. And now they are worth millions. So who vetted his paintings? His brother? Gauguin?Letrec? The maid he gave his ear to? Or the people who attended a exhibition that his family organised after his death which spread his story on? Same broad strokes, same vivid colours. Same canvas, same images. The same everything. But the value still changed over night. And the same is true today as it happens. A nameless artist will be lucky to get his expenses back. And an artist with a name can do the bare minimum and make a million. I don't care much about this millionaire playground. But I will always shit on it.

EU is not prepared on nuclear war, but Russia,[…]

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]