U.S. Senate Passes Bill to Make Juneteenth Paid Federal Holiday - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

I wonder if this bill will pass the House? I think Joe will sign the bill if it passes the House.

Ted Barrett, Ali Zaslav and Alex Rogers of CNN wrote:The Senate unanimously passed a resolution on Tuesday establishing June 19 as Juneteenth National Independence Day, a US holiday commemorating the end of slavery in the United States.

The legislation has gained momentum since the massive Black Lives Matter protests sparked by the police killing of George Floyd last year and the Democrats' takeover of the White House and Congress.

But Wisconsin Republican Sen. Ron Johnson blocked the bill in 2020, saying that the day off for federal employees would cost US taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars. Johnson dropped his objection this week despite his concerns, paving the way for the bill's passage in the Senate.

"Although I strongly support celebrating Emancipation, I objected to the cost and lack of debate," said Johnson in a statement. "While it still seems strange that having taxpayers provide federal employees paid time off is now required to celebrate the end of slavery, it is clear that there is no appetite in Congress to further discuss the matter."

The measure needs to pass the House and be signed by President Joe Biden to become law.

On June 19, 1865, Major General Gordon Granger announced in Galveston, Texas, the end of slavery in accordance with President Abraham Lincoln's 1863 Emancipation Proclamation.

In 1980, Juneteenth became a Texas state holiday. In the decades since, every state but South Dakota came to officially commemorate Juneteenth, but only a handful of states observe it as a paid holiday.

Massachusetts Democratic Sen. Ed Markey, Texas Republican Sen. John Cornyn and Texas Democratic Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee are among the members of Congress who led the effort to to make Juneteenth the 12th federal holiday.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/15/politics ... index.html
Politics_Observer wrote:I wonder if this bill will pass the House? I think Joe will sign the bill if it passes the House.

l

I will rather have a Federal Holiday celebrating a more recent black achievement. It is about time slavery passes into history. By the time the woke crowd is done with there will be Federal Holidays for end of the cis white males! End of cis black males! End of cis white females! End of cis black females! Did I forget some other ruffian?

BTW where is the Federal Holiday for my hero John Brown?
Juin wrote:I will rather have a Federal Holiday celebrating a more recent black achievement. It is about time slavery passes into history.

To be fair, Reagan did that with MLK day. The good old boys down south decided they couldn't stomach that though, so they made it "Robert E. Lee day" instead.

I'm not sure slavery will ever fully pass into history when a sizeable proportion of the USA is either in complete denial about its legacy, or worse, actively celebrates it.
@Juin

Unfortunately for John Brown, he didn't learn one of the first cardinal rules of warfare or revolution: it's better to outsmart rather outfight your opponent/enemy. Hence, why it didn't end too well for him. He should have taken the peaceful route to revolution when it came to freeing the blacks from slavery. Ole John Brown, a radical in his time that was prophetic and foretold the end of slavery.

Politics_Observer wrote:@Scamp

Yeah, just like those capital insurrectionists right?

Wrong. Apples to oranges. The patriots who were invited to the Capitol by the President of the United States, and were allowed into the building by the Capitol police...Committed no crime.
Last edited by Scamp on 16 Jun 2021 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
Well it appears that the House will pass the bill to make Juneteenth a paid Federal holiday here in the United States.

Annie Grayer and Daniella Diaz of CNN wrote:The House is expected to vote Wednesday on legislation that would establish June 19 as Juneteenth National Independence Day, a US federal holiday commemorating the end of slavery in the United States.

The bill is expected to pass the House after the Senate unanimously passed the legislation Tuesday.

It was previously blocked by conservative Sen. Ron Johnson of Wisconsin in 2020 but he dropped his objection this week despite his concerns.

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer announced that the House would vote Wednesday in a tweet where he thanked the bill's bipartisan sponsors, which included Democratic Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee of Texas, Republican Sen. John Cornyn of Texas and Democratic Sen. Ed Markey of Massachusetts.

"I look forward to bringing this bill to the Floor, and urge bipartisan support," Hoyer wrote.

The legislation has gained momentum after the Black Lives Matter protests sparked by the police killing of George Floyd last year and the Democrats' takeover of the White House and Congress.

Once the bill passes, it will head to President Joe Biden's desk to be signed into law.

On June 19, 1865, Major General Gordon Granger announced in Galveston, Texas, the end of slavery in accordance with President Abraham Lincoln's 1863 Emancipation Proclamation.

In 1980, Juneteenth became a Texas state holiday. In the decades since, every state but South Dakota came to officially commemorate Juneteenth, but only a handful of states observe it as a paid holiday.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/16/politics ... index.html
Well it looks like that Juneteenth will become a national paid federal holiday here in the United States. It has passed both the Senate and the House in Congress and will go to Biden to sign, which I am sure he will. It will be a good day for drinking and celebration.

Annie Grayer and Daniella Diaz of CNN wrote:
The House passed legislation Wednesday that would establish June 19 as Juneteenth National Independence Day, a US federal holiday commemorating the end of slavery in the United States, sending the bill to President Joe Biden’s desk for his signature.

The bill passed the House 415-14 after the Senate unanimously passed the legislation Tuesday. The 14 Republicans to vote against the bill were Reps. Thomas Massie of Kentucky, Mo Brooks of Alabama, Scott DesJarlais of Tennessee, Andy Biggs of Arizona, Tom Tiffany of Wisconsin, Doug LaMalfa of California, Tom McClintock of California, Mike Rogers of Alabama, Matt Rosendale of Montana, Ronny Jackson of Texas, Ralph Norman of South Carolina, Andrew Clyde of Georgia, Chip Roy of Texas and Paul Gosar of Arizona.

The legislation was previously blocked by conservative Sen. Ron Johnson of Wisconsin in 2020, but he dropped his objection this week despite his concerns, allowing the bill to advance out of the chamber.

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer announced that the House would vote Wednesday in a tweet where he thanked the bill’s bipartisan sponsors, which included Democratic Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee of Texas, Republican Sen. John Cornyn of Texas and Democratic Sen. Ed Markey of Massachusetts.

“I look forward to bringing this bill to the Floor, and urge bipartisan support,” Hoyer wrote.

Jackson Lee told reporters ahead of the final passage, “what I see here today is racial divide crumbling, being crushed this day under a momentous vote that brings together people who understand the value of freedom.”

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/16/politics ... index.html
Scamp wrote:@ Juin and Politics_Observer...
John Brown was a terrorist and murderer. He got what he deserved. Hanged by the neck until dead.

May his soul rest in peace. In my book he is a hero and martyr. I am astonished history has not redeemed him and placed him on the high pedestal he deserves. He was a true abolitionist. Hated slavery to the last fibre of his being. Did not hesitate to strike a blow against that barbarous practice.
Politics_Observer wrote:@Juin

Unfortunately for John Brown, he didn't learn one of the first cardinal rules of warfare or revolution: it's better to outsmart rather outfight your opponent/enemy. Hence, why it didn't end too well for him. He should have taken the peaceful route to revolution when it came to freeing the blacks from slavery. Ole John Brown, a radical in his time that was prophetic and foretold the end of slavery.

Because he was a martyr, I honour him. He failed as a soldier, no doubt about that. Nevertheless it will seem to me like when it came to slavery John Brown was a greater foe of that institution than Abe Lincoln, Massa Tom Jeff'son and Washington.
Good. I always thought it was silly that June was made homosexual pride month and black folks got February, the shortest and coldest month. Give gay folks July, and give black folks June.

And additional holidays in the US are always a good thing - there are criminally few of them. They should ago ahead and add a few more, while they're at it:

Voting Day

May 1

November 1

There is no Federal Holiday in August and We Need One Day
Well this thread was sure to bring out the racists.

This is fine. I like Holidays. Who doesn't? Now we will see if people actually take it off. I suspect that it will be for government workers only.

The tail has been wagging the dog.. Israel is a[…]

Candace Owens

She has, and to add gravitas to what she has said[…]

@litwin is clearly an Alex Jones type conspirac[…]

Both of them have actually my interest at heart. […]