Is Getting a College Degree worth it? - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Polls on politics, news, current affairs and history.

Is it worth going into debt to get a four year degree?

Yes, it is worth it.
7
23%
No, it is not.
3
10%
Maybe depending on the major or field.
17
57%
Other.
3
10%
#15177397
late wrote:What we do now is terrible, thanks largely to Republicans.

My top priority would be to kill things like denying kids the ability to declare bankruptcy over college debt. That's insane, a sadistic throwback to the age of debtors prisons.


The student loan crisis is an unintended consequence of a good intentions program. Once a ton of money was placed in the hands of students the tuition rates went thru the roof. There was also a proliferation of meaningless mayors to attract borderline (non-college material) students. Many graduated with a meaningless degree and no ability to find a job and pay the loan. Others dropped out but still have to pay the loan. This cluster of faaq is another unintended consequence of a program that had good intentions. Meanwhile in Japan and Germany non-college bound students get vocational training at a cheaper cost.

It always comes down to money, most of the time, anyway. If we don't massively increase support for kids going to school, it makes sense to put the money where it will do the most good: STEM.


Throwing more money at the issue will solve nothing. Kansas City spend up to 40,000 USD per student in the 1990s . Inflation adjusted that is the equivalent of spending 70,000 USD per student. They had zero improvement in scholastic achievement. There is a need to rebuild a strong family unit with two parents and an emphasis on education.

Nigerians are the best educated people in the USA. All we need to do is copy what they do.

In the US, Nigerians are the most highly educated of all groups, with 61 per cent holding at least a bachelors degree compared with 31 per cent of the total foreign-born population and 32 per cent of the US-born population, according to 2017 data from the Migration Policy Institute.

More than half of Nigerian immigrants (54 per cent) were most likely to occupy management positions, compared with 32 per cent of the total foreign-born population and 39 per cent of the US-born population.

Similar Nigerian success is reflected in the UK, where many in a highly-educated diaspora work in financial services, IT, and the legal and medical professions. What drives Nigerians and the diaspora, and can future generations continue their success?

A strong desire to succeed in life, enabled by education, is also a common theme in Nigerian homes. In 2016, the continent’s most populous nation sent the largest number of African students abroad — 95,000 — and ranked fifth in the world in terms of overall number of students in foreign study; the UK and US were among their top destinations for Nigerian students, according to figures from Unesco.

“Education is an essential part of our culture,” says Emeka Okaro, a consultant obstetrician and lead clinician for benign gynaecology at St Bartholomew’s and Royal London Hospital, who was born in Moscow to Nigerian-born parents and now lives in London. “[When] I went to school, we were encouraged to excel. Parents expected it of us.”

His wife Joy Odili, a consultant plastic and reconstructive surgeon at St George's Hospital, adds: “As a people we are very proud and we like to do well. I had a parent who absolutely believed I could be anything I wanted, therefore I grew up [believing] there was no obstacle to whatever I wanted to achieve.”

Where others might see chaos, Nigerians see opportunity

Resilience is another big part of the Nigerian identity.


https://www.ft.com/content/ca39b445-442 ... 5dae5f3460
#15177403
late wrote:You have gotta be paid by the word for that BS.

The Freudian mechanisms of defense used by you are off the charts. Denial is one of the most common defense mechanisms. It occurs when you refuse to accept reality or facts. You block external events or circumstances from your mind so that you don't have to deal with the emotional impact.
#15177410
Julian658 wrote:
The Freudian mechanisms of defense used by you are off the charts. Denial is one of the most common defense mechanisms.

It occurs when you refuse to accept reality or facts. You block external events or circumstances from your mind so that you don't have to deal with the emotional impact.



I have a degree in Psych, you do not. You lack other things, which obliterate any credibility you might lay claim to.

Reality? You're going to make it that easy? So be it. Why don't we let poor Nigerians in. Because they lacked the opportunities, that the Nigerians we do let in, had. Just like our poor Blacks.

We need to do a better job of educating all our kids.

You're a joke in bad taste.
#15177417
late wrote:I have a degree in Psych, you do not. You lack other things, which obliterate any credibility you might lay claim to.

Reality? You're going to make it that easy? So be it. Why don't we let poor Nigerians in. Because they lacked the opportunities, that the Nigerians we do let in, had. Just like our poor Blacks.

We need to do a better job of educating all our kids.

You're a joke in bad taste.

You are making my point. People that make it in America come from families where hard work and education are valued. Nigerians that come to America are like that. Btw, this applies to all people regarding of ethnicity or group. Any immigrant that comes from a family where hard work and education is valued does quite well in the USA. Black Americans that have the same values also do well. Jews do an amazing job in this regard.

The key is to fix the family of origin (FOO) of people that come from generational poverty and despair. Once they have a halfway decent FOO the rest is easy. I used to work in a major university in Washington with many AA medical students. I met and talked to many. These kids came form great FOOs.

BTW, the fact that you are a psych major does not make you immune to personality disorders or insecurity.
#15177420
Julian658 wrote:
You are making my point.



I destroyed your point.

You were asking why can't our Blacks be like those successful Nigerians. That's because they lack the advantages those successful Nigerians had. But I love the racism you've got there. Now that is revealing... You know there are poor Nigerians, that we don't let them come here, and why we don't let them come. Because they didn't have the background that makes success possible. But you're trying to scam us by implying all Blacks are the same, Nigerians can do it, so why can't our guys? Fact is, most Nigerians can't, and you know why.

Yes, we know how to do better. Early childhood education, for example. But Progressive reforms are what your pals hate. That hatred is what this thread is about. In fact, they are trying to make things worse (It's what Republicans do).
#15177436
late wrote:I destroyed your point.

You were asking why can't our Blacks be like those successful Nigerians. That's because they lack the advantages those successful Nigerians had. But I love the racism you've got there. Now that is revealing... You know there are poor Nigerians, that we don't let them come here, and why we don't let them come. Because they didn't have the background that makes success possible. But you're trying to scam us by implying all Blacks are the same, Nigerians can do it, so why can't our guys? Fact is, most Nigerians can't, and you know why.

Yes, we know how to do better. Early childhood education, for example. But Progressive reforms are what your pals hate. That hatred is what this thread is about. In fact, they are trying to make things worse (It's what Republicans do).

late:

The point I am making is that success is related to a solid home where education is valued. Anyone with a solid family of origin (FOO) does well regardless of where they come from or to what human group they belong to. There is only one human race, the differences are just a few genes and any human with a half ay decent FOO has a chance.

I do not doubt that there are plenty of Nigerians with a crappy FOO that never come to America. BTW, a crappy FOO will destroy a lot of people ------even those with pink skin.

The problem with the left is that they assume they need to throw more money at public schools and completely neglect the FOO conditions. That is a serious error and I cannot believe a smart person like you cannot see that. The Kansas City experiment was very revealing late. IN today's dollars they event 70 thousand dollars per child per year. The school was so advanced that it even had a planetarium. The cities of Washington DC and New York also spend a lot of money in the pubic schools. Many POC never graduate from High School and those that graduate are massively under-educated.

This idea of using a single variable (Republican racism) to explain the awful education of the poor POC is BS. There are no Republicans running the public schools in the large cities of America. The mayor, city councilmen, and school board all belong to the Democratic Party. And now they want to teach Critical Race Theory when the kids cannot read or write. What an Faaking joke late. I have never seen such a large pile of bullshit.

Regarding racism: It is real and it exists. However, POC immigrants are immune and they run circles around whites. It is a very important concept that you need to understand.
#15177472
Julian658 wrote:

The problem with the left is that they assume they need to throw more money at public schools and completely neglect the FOO conditions.





You just keep talking out of both sides of you mouth.

Dems have been fighting for early childhood education since the 1980s. We push for food assistance, and income assistance. We'd do more, but you know, Republicans... You keep implying a support for Progressive reform while mostly trying to sell regressive propaganda...

'Money isn't the problem with education' is another old and totally brain dead lie. There are a lot of very poor communities that cannot properly fund their schools. Because of recent events (like Covid) those poor communities are falling even further behind in educational achievement. I've seen it before.
#15177483
late wrote:
Dems have been fighting for early childhood education since the 1980s. We push for food assistance, and income assistance.


There is an obesity epidemic among the poor. It is not about more food or more welfare checks. It is about having two parents that value education and are not dysfunctional. It is about having a culture where education and hard work is everything. If you raise a kid in a dysfunctional one parent home and tell the child he is a victim 24/7 guess what? The kid grows up to embrace the role of victimhood and and that is used as an excuse for nihilism and chaotic behavior. Meanwhile the children that have poor good parents are not allowed school choice or school vouchers. This coming from the party that is pro-choice.


We'd do more, but you know, Republicans... You keep implying a support for Progressive reform while mostly trying to sell regressive propaganda...


late: There are no Republicans in the major cities of America. And by the way there are plenty of Democrats all over the USA that now want to teach CRT (victimhood) instead of the basics.

'Money isn't the problem with education' is another old and totally brain dead lie. There are a lot of very poor communities that cannot properly fund their schools. Because of recent events (like Covid) those poor communities are falling even further behind in educational achievement. I've seen it before.


Meanwhile I have six grandchildren that are now well ahead of the curve. They were home schooled by my two of my daughters and the kids are thriving. My wife and I participated in their education by providing teaching sessions to supplement the curriculum of my two daughters. Having good parents makes all the difference.

We need a new paradigm and so far all I hear from you is more of the SAME OLD.
#15177501
Julian658 wrote:
It is not about more food or more welfare checks.




Actually, hunger is a growing problem, and particularly troubling for kids to go hungry.

Actually, if you want poor to work, they need support. Things like early childhood education does double duty as day care...

What you propose doesn't work. Science shows us Progressive reforms like early childhood education do work.

Your Nigerian silliness proves you know it. You knew going in that the immigrants we take in grew up with real advantages. Because you're one of them...
Did You Get Vaccinated?

@JohnRawls Thailand's rise in Covid-19 infectio[…]

I am personally fearful of possible adverse effec[…]

Tyler Durden is Zero Hedge, meaning you've jump[…]

You know what must be done, xué sheng. The ques[…]