Now reading - Page 188 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Discuss literary and artistic creations, or post your own poetry, essays etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Potemkin
fuser wrote:I didn't knew he was a screenwriter. Just checked and it seems he did TV mostly and I haven't seen any one of them.

Me neither. Lol. But you don't spend decades of your life writing screenplays without picking up a few tricks of the trade, and knowing how to write snappy dialogue is one of those tricks. His characters reveal themselves through what they say, and how they say it. Most novelists have to laboriously explain it all to us in their plodding prose, whereas Martin just presents a few lines of snappy, unforgettable dialogue, and we know. :)
By fuser
Finally finished Liu Cixin's much talked about sci-fi, "Three Body Problem". I will definitely classify it as hard sci-fi as in the sciency stuff makes sense and its not start the "Quantum Generators". I do have a major complain though, all the characters were so cold and reclusive, except for Da Shi, I didn't cared for any of the characters. They all could had spontaneously died, and I would had gone, "Ok, lets find another scientist and move the plot forward". But I don't know, I have never interacted with someone actually working in advance fields of physics, may be they all are reclusive and cold.

On the surface the plot is a simple "alien invasion" but the whole concept is actually much bigger than that, I won't spoil it much but the concept and its execution was top notch. I was always excited to read the parts where our protagonist entered this VR game and tried to solve the seemingly random movement of astronomical objects in this VR. So yeah its a solid sci-fi, I mean its generally hard to like a book where characters are not particularly noteworthy and yet just because of the concept, and execution, this one shines.

I have ordered the second book in the series, "The dark forest" and will start reading it soon.
By Godstud
I am currently reading,Shadow Puppets(Audio book), by Orson Scott Card, The Gates of Athens, by Conn Iggulden, and Surprise by Patrick O'Brian.

Sci-Fi(thinking man's kind), and historical fiction x2.
By Godstud
@wat0n, so it's Fiction? :excited: ;)
By Drlee
Surprise by Patrick O'Brian.

You started on book 3 of 21. Still. It is a marvelous book. These books are one of the great joys of my life. Let me know what you think. Then go back and read Master and Commander and Post Captain. Then HMS Surprise will take on new meaning.

You are in for the ride of a lifetime.
By Godstud
@Drlee, No, I also own/read the first two books of the series.

O'Brian's writing style takes some getting used to. It's a hard read, but enjoyable.

I have a STACK of books to read. I got these books, this week(bookdepository is great... free delivery anywhere in the workd):
By Heisenberg
I just finished The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie. Rushdie is a bit of a dickhead, but he's a damned good writer. :up:
By Rugoz
The City & the City by China Miéville. Kind of disappointing ending but still very good. Will read one of his other books next.
By Godstud
I just finished reading Troy, by Stephen Fry(re-telling of the Iliad) and Protector(Book 2 of the Athenian series), by Conn Iggulden. They were most enjoyable.

I am now reading Sharpe's Company, by Bernard Cornwell and listening to Shadow of the Giant, by Orson Scott Card.
By Heisenberg
I've decided to give Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel another go. I tried it a few years ago and couldn't really get past the writing style, but it's clicking much better this time around. Really enjoying it so far, especially all the digs at "the man for all seasons" Thomas More, who is portrayed as a humourless, hypocritical religious maniac. :lol:
By Drlee
Essays by Montaigne
By annatar1914
Drlee wrote:Essays by Montaigne

@Drlee ;

Quite the Epicurean. But also, quite the famous Gallic wit about him! I came to read him after reading Blaise Pascal, who has quite a few words about Montaigne.
By Americanroyalty
Reading Chaos Charles Manson, the CIA, and the Secret History of the Sixties by Tom O’Neill. Its a pretty messed up story thats for sure.
By Godstud
Finished Shadows in Flight, by Orson Scott Card, Sharpe's Sword, & Sharpe's Enemy by Bernard Cornwell. I read Queen of Storms(part 2 of the Fireman series) by Raymond E, Feist, too. Very enjoyable.

I am now reading a more historic representation of King Arther, by Bernard Cornwell, called The Winter King(the first of 3 books).

I really like to read Cornwell's books. Well written and he tells a great tale.

Listening to the audio book Leviathan Wakes, by James S. A. Corey, the first of The Expanse, series. Good so far!
By ness31
Page 210 of The Fountainhead. I’ve just realized I’m reading a love story about 2 proper psychopath's.

:|
By ness31
Also, is Ellsworth Toohey gay? :?:

Edit-

“There’s nothing as significant as a human face. Nor as eloquent. We can never really know a person, except by our first glance at him. Because, in that glance, we know everything. Even though we’re not always wise enough to unravel the knowledge.”

Rand is so fucking Russian :knife: Shockingly this ‘wordiness’ affects their male and and female writers alike. I say that with confidence as Rand is the first female Russian writer I’ve ever set eyes on. I see nothing ‘American’ in her except the opportunity extended to her.
Why do they insist on making us sift through so many useless words? Does it accentuate the resonance of the truths?

Also, her prose is somewhat formulaic. But aren’t they all? :hmm: Every time I pick up a book, it’s like I’m begging for the writer to fool me into thinking it’s not them penning the words. But the written word is not film. It’s just honest *shrug*

Meh….just a few ramblings with a couple Jamesons behind me. At least they aren’t Bukowskis :excited:
Last edited by ness31 on 09 Jan 2022 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
By Godstud
Reading Abaddon's Gate by James SA Corey(audiobook).

Also reading A Heart Divided by Jin Yong. Book 4 of the series of 6 books The Legend of the Condor Heroes. Really fun books!

Since you keep insisting on pretending that the I[…]

Commercial foreclosures increase 97% from last ye[…]

People tend to forget that the French now have a […]

It is easy to tell the tunnel was made of pre fab[…]