The Wuhan virus—how are we doing? - Page 112 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Provision of the two UN HDI indicators other than GNP.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Patrickov wrote:I am personally fearful of possible adverse effects (mistrust against the government is at worst secondary as this sentiment is still derived from the adverse effect risk)so I will wait until it's impractical to do so (e.g. coercion or I have to do something), but that does not mean I can keep it forever.
The adverse side effects are exceedingly rare. Do you worry about being struck by lightning, twice? That's how common they are.

If you get Covid-19, your chances of dying are FAR greater, regardless of your age.

Be smart. Get vaccinated, or be called a fool and accept it.
Even if the vaccines are mostly a way of killing people, the world has far too many people to support, and its life support systems are collapsing. I understand why someone like Billy Gates would fund this, and how he could get many concerned people to go along with it.

Also, for smart politicians, investing in Google, Facebook, and all the other "glued to your screen" industries that did so well during lockdowns, you can see why they would invest in these companies and then lock everyone up. It's a government's right to choose when to lock up all its citizens.

And even if you love giant Pharmaceutical companies like Godstud does and don't want any bad PR for them... they won't be harmed by a massive die-off since most countries have signed a waiver letting them off the hook for any side effects.
I don't love pharmaceutical companies, but I can see how someone who says stupid shit like, "vaccines are mostly a way of killing people", would believe such abject nonsense. I said "believe", because to say "think", would indicate some thought processes being used, on your part.

@QatzelOk Please link me to the long list of people dying from the vaccine. Has it reached 4.19 million, yet? That's how many have died from Covid-19.

I thought Nazis were detestable... :roll:
Godstud wrote:I don't love pharmaceutical companies...

Of course you do.

They are heavy advertisers in the media that you use to determine what "an average person" is supposed to do and think.

If they didn't spend billions on media advertising, you would probably have healthy, wise opinions.

Which you would not like.
Godstud wrote:Be smart. Get vaccinated, or be called a fool and accept it.

Unfortunately I see you as the North Wind in this case.

As I said, there is a "Sun" situation and I will decide when I need to be vaccinated. It's not a "yes / no" question as I see it now.
@Patrickov Is someone telling you that not vaccinating is being selfish and you should think about others, going to get you to vaccinate?

I'd rather be the "North Wind", than a Fool.
Way to go Florida Republicans. You have managed to hospitalize more people than were hospitalized before the vaccines were available. And bonus! 35 of them are children.

Why is this? Because the Republican governor and state legislation does not care how many people will die. A few dead or maimed children are just collateral damage to them. As long as they can whip their profoundly unintelligent followers into a frenzy of "we don't care no how as long as we have our rats to kill other people and our guuuuuuns".

Seriously evil people. But mostly these guuuuuun totin' fucks are simply cowards. They are so special and entitled that though many of them call themselves Christians, they will not even wear a mask to protect their fellow man. Cowards and wimps.

Suck it up McConnell. I saw your little show the other day, telling people to get vaccinated. Bit late to the game aren't you? But you are the all powerful leader of the Republican party. You get that mouth-breather in Florida to stop killing your folks.

The sad thing is that there will be no reckoning. They have already won. The Democrats are far to weak to do anything. They won't even overturn a procedural peccadillo in the Senate to save the lives of hundreds of thousands. Far to weak to govern. So I go back to voting Republican as I used to. If it is "every man for himself" why not be on the winning team. (I did mean "man" by the way.) Women appear to be far to weak to govern. They are doing less than nothing while these old white men kill their children. At least women are convenient for arm candy. It is as it always has been.
@Drlee

I wish you were being sarcastic.

Being weak is not a crime. In some sense, if someone is on the right side but could not decide to do anything useful because of their weakness, what you need to do is to provide the necessary support and empower then to do whatever they think is right, not abandon them and join the wrongdoers.

Even in safe seats the opposition would not give up because there will always be people who want to stay around and make a difference.
We are still pretty fucked, especially China with 98 cases and 15 provinces in lockdown. Just to point out again here that China constantly lies.
Rancid wrote:What's the latest on the wuhan leak theory?

Go write to the CIA/NSA and ask them. I think you can easily find them on facebook and twitter nowadays.
Famous last words:

"Fuck a bunch of vaccine, I want to know where this fucker came from!"
Godstud wrote:Yes, but only if you are VACCINATED. If not, then it's probably deadlier than the regular strain of Covid-19 and the facts already show that this is not "flu".

And at this point, considering the ready accessibility of vaccines in the industrialized world, not being vaccinated is a personal choice--and a personal risk. To slightly misquote an old saw, poor decision-making on some individuals' part doesn't constitute an emergency for the rest of us.

And for the latest numbers:

One the effectiveness of masks:

And the latest on the source of the Wuhan virus:

‘Greatest cover-up of all time’: House GOP presents evidence of COVID-19 origins, Wuhan lab leak
The top Republican on the House Foreign Affairs Committee said in a report Monday that the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 leaked from China’s Wuhan Institute of Virology in August or early September 2019 and that Chinese officials took part in “the greatest coverup of all time.”

The evidence, provided in an update of Rep. Michael T. McCaul’s report in September on the origins of COVID-19, suggests SARS-CoV-2, which had been genetically manipulated, was released from the laboratory accidentally in August or September 2019, according to the report’s authors.

The investigating team said several key findings pointed to a leak, including the unexplained removal of a Wuhan Institute of Virology virus database in September 2019, Chinese officials’ expressions of safety concerns and unusually scheduled maintenance at the lab.

The authors also noted that several athletes at the Military World Games in Wuhan fell ill with COVID-like symptoms in October 2019, hospitalizations in the region surrounding the lab ticked up the same month, and a People’s Liberation Army bioweapons expert was appointed to head the biosafety level 4 (BSL-4) lab as early as 2019.

“As we continue to investigate the origins of the COVID-19 pandemic, I believe it’s time to completely dismiss the wet market as the source of the outbreak,” Mr. McCaul said. “Instead, as this report lays out, a preponderance of the evidence proves that all roads lead to the WIV.”

Former President Donald Trump has long blamed China for spreading the coronavirus and angered Democrats by referring to it as “the China virus.” Some Democrats have dismissed the suggestion that the virus originated in a lab as a “conspiracy theory.”

A wet market in Wuhan initially was determined to be the source of the coronavirus.

During a campaign-style rally in June, Mr. Trump seized on new reports about the virus’ possible origins from the lab. “I said it comes out of Wuhan — it comes out of the lab,” he told supporters.

President Biden ordered U.S. intelligence agencies in May to speed up their investigation into the origins of the virus and to report back within 90 days. He ordered intelligence agencies to investigate “whether it emerged from human contact with an infected animal or from a laboratory accident.” He said at the time that those agencies “do not believe there is sufficient information to assess one to be more likely than the other.”

The House Republicans’ conclusion is based on an analysis of open-source information, including published research, public and confidential publications from the People’s Republic of China, and information gathered from emails, interviews and social media.

“We know gain-of-function research was happening at the WIV, and we know it was being done in unsafe conditions,” said Mr. McCaul, Texas Republican. “We also now know the head of the Chinese CDC and the director of the WIV’s BSL-4 lab publicly expressed concerns about safety at PRC labs in the summer of 2019. It is our belief the virus leaked sometime in late August or early September 2019.”

The report also concludes that WIV researchers and Chinese officials worked to suppress information related to the investigation into the virus’ origins and “suppress public debate of a possible lab leak.”

Notably, the report points to the lengths the Chinese Communist Party and the World Health Organization went to cover up the outbreak early on. The Communist Party detained doctors and journalists, destroyed lab samples and barred a full-scale probe into the origins by international investigators.

“This was the greatest coverup of all time and has caused the deaths of more than four million people around the world, and people must be held responsible,” Mr. McCaul said.

He said it is “no longer appropriate for anyone to dismiss the notion this virus could have been genetically modified before it leaked from the WIV.”

The report said unusual activity was detected at the Wuhan lab in July 2019 and that a request was made for a $1.5 million overhaul of a hazardous waste treatment system for the facility, which was less than 2 years old.

That request included maintenance on an environmental air disinfection system and “hazardous waste treatment system,” suggesting concerns about the operation of the systems meant to prevent lab leaks, the report states.

The report said the virus escaped before Sept. 12, the day urgent inspections were ordered and the lab’s viral sequence database disappeared from the internet.

The report cited “ample evidence” that the lab’s scientists, helped by U.S. experts and Chinese and U.S. taxpayer funds, were working to modify coronaviruses to infect humans and that such manipulation could be hidden.

In 2014, the National Institutes of Health awarded a grant to the U.S.-based EcoHealth Alliance to study the threat of coronaviruses from bats. The project was renewed in 2019 for another five years. The Wuhan lab received nearly $600,000 from the grants as a collaborator on the project.

EcoHealth Alliance did not respond to The Washington Times’ request for comment.

The report is being released as Congress escalates bipartisan calls to hold China accountable for the COVID-19 pandemic. In May, the Senate included measures to end federal funding for the Wuhan Institute of Virology and all gain-of-function research in China as part of the Innovation and Competition Act. The measure was passed by a 68-32 vote.

Last month, the House Appropriations Committee passed several measures attached to spending bills that would end U.S. taxpayer funding for the lab, cut funding for certain medical experiments in China and investigate why the coronavirus gene sequencing data was removed from the National Institutes of Health.

House Republicans in June held a hearing on the origins of the virus and said overwhelming evidence pointed to research at the WIV. The hearing included testimony from four public health professionals who said evidence indicated that the virus originated from the lab rather than through naturally occurring transmission of the infectious disease.

“Now is the time to use all of the tools the U.S. government has to continue to root out the full truth of how this virus came to be,” Mr. McCaul said in a statement accompanying the release of the report. He said he is considering a subpoena for an official of EcoHealth Alliance to answer questions about the company’s work in Wuhan.
Doug64 wrote:…, considering the ready accessibility of vaccines in the industrialized world, not being vaccinated is a personal choice--and a personal risk.

…as well as a risk to anyone who currently cannot be vaccinated. This includes young children and people with medical reasons to not get vaccines.

One the effectiveness of masks:

What is the exact argument?

And the latest on the source of the Wuhan virus:

‘Greatest cover-up of all time’: House GOP presents evidence of COVID-19 origins, Wuhan lab leak

Sounds doubtful.

Do you have a link to the actual report?
@Doug64 CDC does NOT say masks do not work. That's a bold-faced LIE. Your CNN report guy isn't reporting facts, but giving a very ignorant personal opinion. People trying to push a narrative, like you, however, won't notice that he isn't reporting any facts. He's not telling you what the CDC is actually saying. He's telling you what HE thinks, and he doesn't know fuck and all about it.

Fact: People can still smell things thru even an N95 mask, but that doesn't mean that the harmful particulates are getting to you.

From the official CDC website:

Evidence for Effectiveness of Masks
Your mask helps protect those around you
COVID-19 spreads mainly from person to person through respiratory droplets. Respiratory droplets travel into the air when you cough, sneeze, talk, shout, or sing. These droplets can then land in the mouths or noses of people who are near you or they may breathe these droplets in.

Masks are a simple barrier to help prevent your respiratory droplets from reaching others. Studies show that masks reduce the spray of droplets when worn over the nose and mouth.

You should wear a mask, even if you do not feel sick. This is because several studies have found that people with COVID-19 who never develop symptoms (asymptomatic) and those who are not yet showing symptoms (pre-symptomatic) can still spread the virus to other people. Wearing a mask helps protect those around you, in case you are infected but not showing symptoms.

It is especially important to wear a mask when you are indoors with people you do not live with and when you are unable to stay at least 6 feet apart since COVID-19 spreads mainly among people who are in close contact with one another.

Your mask offers some protection to you
A cloth mask also offers some protection to you too. How well it protects you from breathing in the virus likely depends on the fabrics used and how your mask is made (such as the type of fabric, the number of layers of fabric, and how well the mask fits). CDC is currently studying these factors.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... dance.html
AFAIK wrote:Living in a Chinese satellite is better than living in a US one.

There is only 1 true satellite and that is Sputnik.

(Besides North Korea, there are no other satellite states if you don't consider Tibet or HK as such. Most of Chinese neibhours severely dislike China after Xi came to power. Like literally all of them by now I think)
@Godstud, after their nonsensical "advice" for masking students I've stopped paying attention to the CDC. Do you have any reliable sources?
Well, @Doug64, since you are going to dismiss anything that doesn't support your narrative, no.

Confirmation bias, thy name is Doug64.

Will @skinster insist on her demand of watching […]

I (still) have a dream

...Kids don't need to drive anywhere to play with[…]

Jared Kushner is inspired by the real estate pote[…]

Or maybe you are simply wrong. :roll: Ya[…]