Investors snapping up middle class housing - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Crantag wrote:
I drive a 2017 Honda Civic, 6-speed.

Yeah, I woulda liked to go with an accord.

But, the Civic ain't bad.

And, 6-speed, B.

It was basically one of the only manual transmitions they had on the lot.

I walked into the dealership, basically a bum off the street, trying to behave like I actually belonged there.

The credit check was lie a lottery call.

Somehow, I was approved.

And I drove out of there in a brand new Honda.

6-speed, B.

Now the courts wanna take it.

I piss on douche bags like them.

There is enormous hypocrisy surrounding the pious veneration of the Constitution and “the rule of law.” The Constitution, like the Bible, is infinitely flexible and is used to serve the political needs of the moment. When the country was in economic crisis and turmoil in the Thirties and capitalism needed to be saved from the anger of the poor and hungry and unemployed, the Supreme Court was willing to stretch to infinity the constitutional right of Congress to regulate interstate commerce. It decided that the national government, desperate to regulate farm production, could tell a family farmer what to grow on his tiny piece of land.

When the Constitution gets in the way of a war, it is ignored. When the Supreme Court was faced, during Vietnam, with a suit by soldiers refusing to go, claiming that there had been no declaration of war by Congress, as the Constitution required, the soldiers could not get four Supreme Court justices to agree to even hear the case. When, during World War I, Congress ignored the First Amendment’s right to free speech by passing legislation to prohibit criticism of the war, the imprisonment of dissenters under this law was upheld unanimously by the Supreme Court, which included two presumably liberal and learned justices: Oliver Wendell Holmes and Louis Brandeis.

It would be naive to depend on the Supreme Court to defend the rights of poor people, women, people of color, dissenters of all kinds. Those rights only come alive when citizens organize, protest, demonstrate, strike, boycott, rebel, and violate the law in order to uphold justice.

http://www.howardzinn.org/dont-despair- ... eme-court/
JohnRawls wrote:@Crantag @Rancid

Do you want research(Page 203 with graphs or you can read it/Page 15 of pdf): https://gabriel-zucman.eu/files/NPZ2018.pdf

Or news articles will do(2017 for example): https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-offshore ... 95293.html

But you can literally google "Russian Wealth Offshore" and check articles from every year.

For China the situation is more complicated due to absence of clear data sources but here is an example, one article that estimates that Chinese offshore wealth is around 45.5 of all Chinese wealth or 8.4 trillion was held abroad aka US or EU(Reality is nobody knows and the article is from 2018) https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKCN1MY0TG

This process has been clearly observed and studied by economists that investment flows from US/EU in to the rest of the world while wealth flows to US/EU for storage. This hasn't been a secret for ages.

@JohnRawls .

If a Chinese man and a Russian man take a piss in the ocean, and then I hear on the news that the sea levels are rising; it isn't necessarily because the Chinese and the Russian man pissed in the ocean.

It might be, though.
Crantag wrote:
1) You don't get to tell us what to do anymore, boomer.

2) We are in command now.

3) We are fucking it up a lot, but it is mostly because the boomers are getting in the way, whilst not knowing how to distinguish their ass from their left hand.

1) Issues, you'll get over them.

2) No, you are not. Neither are we.

3) You've severely oversimplified the situation.
JohnRawls wrote:@Crantag @Rancid

Do you want research(Page 203 with graphs or you can read it/Page 15 of pdf): https://gabriel-zucman.eu/files/NPZ2018.pdf

Or news articles will do(2017 for example): https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-offshore ... 95293.html

But you can literally google "Russian Wealth Offshore" and check articles from every year.

For China the situation is more complicated due to absence of clear data sources but here is an example, one article that estimates that Chinese offshore wealth is around 45.5 of all Chinese wealth or 8.4 trillion was held abroad aka US or EU(Reality is nobody knows and the article is from 2018) https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKCN1MY0TG

This process has been clearly observed and studied by economists that investment flows from US/EU in to the rest of the world while wealth flows to US/EU for storage. This hasn't been a secret for ages.

I do not doubt that foreign money stashing contributes to this. However, I feel the fundamental issue is domestic cultural attitudes around the role of housing in our lives. Does your data show if this foreign money is invested in US/EU development companies?
@Crantag

Crantag wrote:Blasphemy. ;)

The fact that a lot of republicans believe that bullshit statement by Margret Thatcher illustrates why our country is so fucked up right now. That is a narcissistic statement to the extreme. It's like we have a country full of these sociopathic narcissists that actually believe that bullshit. It's why a total fuckknuckle like Trump got elected in the first place. You have to be fucked in the head to actually believe that the concept of society is non-existent. But there it is, a statement by Margret Thatcher basically stating society is a concept that doesn't even exist. It's like denying the fact that the sky is blue. You have to be pretty out of touch with reality and smoking some serious crack to actually believe that society doesn't exist. And you gotta ask yourself, where do these clowns come from?
late wrote:1) Issues, you'll get over them.

2) No, you are not. Neither are we.

3) You've severely oversimplified the situation.

Quite well put, @late.

I was a professional student for about 11 years, give or take.

I don't have the ego maniac tick of insisting that I'm right all the time.

I know you are an academic.

I think that in some ways, academics is an experience of being told you are wrong all the time.

Not that it's healthy or good, but the whole world is fucked, so why should academics be any different, eh?

I have hung around on this forum for this long though, because we can call each other out, and shake hands after (usually, at least).

Yeah, I was wrong in what I said, but that is partly the experimental process. Throw shit at the wall and see if it sticks.

Hope you're having a good time tonight, dude.

And, I'll probably keep calling you out, but it's friendly.

It can verge personal when it becomes things like China, as I have lovers and friends there, and, frankly put, America sucks more than China, in my personal experience.

America sucks.

It does. America is a shithole country.

And China aint that bad. But I guess it sucks more the more you get to know it.

But, well, not that I'm proud of it, but I have been in trouble in China. I have been in trouble in Japan.

I've been in trouble in America plenty.

And, America is where the gulag is.

And the American gulag is quite terrible. And it takes a lot of diligents to get out of, so wish me luck, as the deck is stacked against me.

A true mark of a true shithole country.

Fuck America.

Once I beat my case, I hope I don't become weak again to my sentimental feelings, and return to this shithole country, America.

America is a total shitty country, irredeemable, undefensible, and a horrible place to live.

I want to get some red whit and blue toilet paper, so that every morning, I can wipe my ass with the American flag.
Crantag wrote:@JohnRawls .

If a Chinese man and a Russian man take a piss in the ocean, and then I hear on the news that the sea levels are rising; it isn't necessarily because the Chinese and the Russian man pissed in the ocean.

It might be, though.

It is a lot more than a piss. The wealth leaving those countries goes straight in to storage like bank accounts, real estate and so on. It doesn't need much maintanence in the form of food, gas, cloths, payment for education and so on.

The overall problem is larger and this wealth is not the only problem obviously. But the sole fact that just Russia and China has more than 10 trillion stacked here is driving prices for most luxury things and money storage assets up. 10 trillion is a lot of money. I don't think that all of the US and EU middle class has that much wealth put together but I might be wrong.
@JohnRawls

If these people are stealing wealth from their country that doesn't belong to them and that they haven't legitimately earned themselves and paid taxes on in their respective country then perhaps our governments should be sanctioning these people and not accepting such wealth to be stored in our own national boundaries. It would seem to be the right thing to do. After all that's stolen wealth that belongs to their respective countries.
Crantag wrote:
Quite well put, @late.

I was a professional student for about 11 years, give or take.

I don't have the ego maniac tick of insisting that I'm right all the time.

I know you are an academic.

I think that in some ways, academics is an experience of being told you are wrong all the time.

Not that it's healthy or good, but the whole world is fucked, so why should academics be any different, eh?

I have hung around on this forum for this long though, because we can call each other out, and shake hands after (usually, at least).

Yeah, I was wrong in what I said, but that is partly the experimental process. Throw shit at the wall and see if it sticks.

Hope you're having a good time tonight, dude.

And, I'll probably keep calling you out, but it's friendly.

It can verge personal when it becomes things like China, as I have lovers and friends there, and, frankly put, America sucks more than China, in my personal experience.

America sucks.

It does. America is a shithole country.

And China aint that bad. But I guess it sucks more the more you get to know it.

But, well, not that I'm proud of it, but I have been in trouble in China. I have been in trouble in Japan.

I've been in trouble in America plenty.

And, America is where the gulag is.

And the American gulag is quite terrible. And it takes a lot of diligents to get out of, so wish me luck, as the deck is stacked against me.

A true mark of a true shithole country.

Fuck America.

Once I beat my case, I hope I don't become weak again to my sentimental feelings, and return to this shithole country, America.

America is a total shitty country, irredeemable, undefensible, and a horrible place to live.

I want to get some red whit and blue toilet paper, so that every morning, I can wipe my ass with the American flag.

Thanks, I was never an academic, just a guy that liked reading and kept doing it after college.

Hope things work out for you.
JohnRawls wrote:It is a lot more than a piss. The wealth leaving those countries goes straight in to storage like bank accounts, real estate and so on. It doesn't need much maintanence in the form of food, gas, cloths, payment for education and so on.

The overall problem is larger and this wealth is not the only problem obviously. But the sole fact that just Russia and China has more than 10 trillion stacked here is driving prices for most luxury things and money storage assets up. 10 trillion is a lot of money. I don't think that all of the US and EU middle class has that much wealth put together but I might be wrong.

You could be on to something, but it is probably just a blip on the radar.

It might be significant to some particular markets, like maybe Miami. Possibly London.

If we talk about real estate on a 'national' scale, like, say, the US, I doubt it measures up very much; I also doubt that Russian laundered money is being stored in duplexes here in Southern Oregon.

There might be a couple of cases of it, but it is probably to the extent that pissing in the ocean raises the sea level, basically.

There is no such thing as society: there are individual men and women, and there are families.

Margaret Thatcher

Regarding the quote itself, I developed an entire *framework* that shows several *magnitudes* of 'society', or 'levels' / contexts-by-scale:

(From micro to macro): Objective (natural) reality – geography, climate, resources -- People -- Events -- Rulers / popular leaders / presidents / officials -- Movements / institutions -- Empires / nation-states / city-states -- Regional culture -- Economic trends -- Technology / technique -- Mode of production -- Class struggle

‭History, Macro-Micro -- politics-logistics-lifestyle

Spoiler: show

[1] History, Macro Micro -- Precision

Spoiler: show
Crantag wrote:You could be on to something, but it is probably just a blip on the radar.

It might be significant to some particular markets, like maybe Miami. Possibly London.

If we talk about real estate on a 'national' scale, like, say, the US, I doubt it measures up very much; I also doubt that Russian laundered money is being stored in duplexes here in Southern Oregon.

There might be a couple of cases of it, but it is probably to the extent that pissing in the ocean raises the sea level, basically.

I mean sure, they are obviously not stored everywhere but the affect is felt everywhere. When property prises come up in New York then people are forced to buy houses in surrounding areas so the prices go up there. A lot of things are interconnected. It is a complicated subject.

The direct cause and effect is obviously larger in super important places like most largest cities in US and EU (Paris, Berlin, London, San Fransico, etc) and less felt in smaller cities like Hamburg, Milan, Leon, Austin and so on. But the sole fact that this process exists forces more and more people to buy housing outside of those areas which drives the prices in yeah, places like rural Oregon and so on up.
@JohnRawls

If that's laundered Russian money buying up property or money stolen from Russia by Russian elites being put into real estate, then those real estate assets should be seized and sold to legitimate buyer who has no ties to organized crime or using stolen national wealth from any given country to complete their purchase of real estate. Personally, I am not opposed to foreign ownership of American real estate so long as such ownership does not threaten national security and the proceeds used to make the purchase are legal and legitimate.
Last edited by Politics_Observer on 30 Jul 2021 17:31, edited 2 times in total.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@JohnRawls General Election Summary 2022 Date[…]

Claims that mainstream economics is changing rad[…]

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]