5 in Hong Kong arrested for children's book - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues in the People's Republic of China.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
Fasces wrote:Meanwhile, Florida is registering the political opinions of its teachers and students, and banning thoughtcrime like CRT. It's hard to swallow the idea that this is an ideological clash of civilizations between good and evil that demands a new Cold War when there's little real difference between the oligarchic regime with a veneer of democracy and the oligarchic regime without it.

I stand by my initial statement, and it seems that you are perfectly tolerant of these policies limiting expression of political beliefs toward children when American lawmakers put them in place. It is transparently a "my team right or wrong" mentality.
Last edited by Fasces on 30 Jul 2021 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
Rugoz wrote:No teacher I ever had was peddling his political views in the class room and I don't see why they should be allowed to do that.

Teachers in the United States are regularly fired for peddling political views outside the classroom as well. Individuals in the USA are regularly arrested for political speech online. You have indicated you are OK with this, and that what is condemnable when done by China is commendable when done by Americans.
fasces wrote:It's hard to swallow the idea that this is an ideological clash of civilizations between good and evil that demands a new Cold War when there's little real difference between the oligarchic regime with a veneer of democracy and the oligarchic regime without it.

Then what, if anything, does this ridiculous tangent have to do with my original argument?

Rugoz wrote:if that happens

Nice qualifier. Implying it doesn't. From memory, since 2020, there's been at least four or five teachers fired for actions relating to the DC protests, regardless of whether they entered the Capitol, and another dozen associated with BLM protests as well.
Fasces wrote:Then what, if anything, does this ridiculous tangent have to do with my original argument?

:eh:

I never even quoted that.

Fasces wrote:Nice qualifier. Implying it doesn't. From memory, since 2020, there's been at least four or five teachers fired for actions relating to the DC protests, regardless of whether they entered the Capitol, and another dozen associated with BLM protests as well.

Knowing you I had to add that qualifier, because there's a high probability it's nonsense. But feel free to provide a source.
Rugoz wrote:I never even quoted that.

I'm painfully aware that you ignored it. I'm asking why you felt the need to call out from the peanut gallery with nonsense when you didn't feel a need to address the argument that point was being used to make.

Rugoz wrote:Knowing you I had to add that qualifier, because there's a high probability it's nonsense. But feel free to provide a source.

Do you have to demonstrate how little awareness you have of the world around you with every chance you get? Read more. Subscribe to an RSS feed. Set up a Twitter, if more than 140 characters is too much. :roll:

https://bfy.tw/RNYi

https://bfy.tw/RNYh

It doesn't even matter - you've established you're OK with government interference in political speech in certain circumstances. Children's books? Not OK. Teachers in a classroom? OK. I'm not going to sit here and help you find exactly where your line is, as its arbitrary anyway and likely will vary depending on what the Chinese and American state decide to do each week.
Fasces wrote:I'm painfully aware that you ignored it. I'm asking why you felt the need to call out from the peanut gallery with nonsense when you didn't feel a need to address the argument that point was being used to make.

I responded to the part that needed to be addressed, namely your dumb analogy.

Fasces wrote:It doesn't even matter

Provide a link instead of trolling me.
Rugoz wrote:I responded to the part that needed to be addressed, namely your dumb analogy.

A valid one you have utterly failed to refute.

Rugoz wrote:Provide a link instead of trolling me.

Why? So we can do four pages of you nitpicking a specific case for meaningless reasons?

"Well he told his students he was planning to attend the Capitol rally, so this is akshually political speech in the classroom,";

"well, she was videotaped giving a speech at the BLM rally, and this might affect her rapport with students or offend parents that saw it on Facebook." :roll:

(The card always says moops.)

Have teachers in the US been fired for their off-campus political activities? Yes. There's dozens of cases spread across those two links I sent you. Read them if you care. You're not a toddler, and I won't spoon-feed you.
Godstud wrote:They need to keep politics out of children's books.

Politics will find them before you think they are mature enough to learn about it.

Besides one has to question whether the content the persecuted have included is truly political. More likely they are slandered by some sort of enemies and the CCP thought it's a good chance to "make an example" even if it's a false accusation.

To present how ridiculous the persecution is, one could possibly use the Chinese national anthem (March of the Volunteers) in actions against the Chinese government itself, as the lyrics never mentioned the CCP, and never made it clear who's the "Enemy".
Rugoz wrote:I know you're just trolling be at this point but whatever.

Being a teacher is a job. The job is to teach knowledge and the values of the community you are hired by. You don't do your job, you're fired. Simple as that. What teachers do as individuals is totally up to them.

I criticize China for banning a children's book and arresting the people who sold it, not for removing it from the public school curriculum, where it never was in the first place.

Sure I'm biased, but to me @Fasces is leading in this debate.

I used to teach.

Writing 'curriculum' is an aspect of teaching.
So, I think his analogy holds.

There is a common human tendency of being unable to admit when you are wrong.

I am not Judge Judy. So, I am not determining that you are wrong here, @Rugoz .

For me personally, I get told I'm wrong all the time. And I just say, "oh yeah, nevermind, my mistake."

I'm probably on the balance right, slightly more than I am wrong, but I don't care if I'm shown I'm wrong.

But, I don't know if you are wrong here, I think you are, but again; I am not Judge Judy.

I think Fasces comparing writing 'curriculum' to teaching was an apt comparison.

Also, I don't support their choice of literature to write and publish.

In the 'West', it would not be illegal probably, but where they were, it was.

Fuck it.
Patrickov wrote:

To present how ridiculous the persecution is, one could possibly use the Chinese national anthem (March of the Volunteers) in actions against the Chinese government itself, as the lyrics never mentioned the CCP, and never made it clear who's the "Enemy".

In a move hilariously reminiscent of GOP politicians and Trump getting mad at NPR for quoting the Declaration of Independence on Twitter, Chinese nationalist groups in Hong Kong have gotten into fist fights with Hong Kong protestors that had lyrics of the March of the Volunteers on signs in English - reality isn't far off. :lol: :| :|
Last edited by Fasces on 30 Jul 2021 19:56, edited 1 time in total.
Fasces wrote:Hey look, the UK follows the same trend.

Passengers are not asylum seekers. Read the titles. No clue what is source material for this but for my graph the source is UN HCR. :eh:

Muscovite’s Slaughter of Indigenous People in Alas[…]

You Zionists just can't stop lying can you. It wa[…]

Any of you going to buy the Trump bible he's prom[…]

No, it doesn't. The US also wants to see Hamas top[…]