First Transwoman Makes The Olympics! - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Failing the lifts does not mean not doing anything. You can fail the lifts if you fail to perform them with proper form, e.g. by trying to lift too much weight.

We'd need to see how did she try to do the C&J and snatch to comment further. Those lifts are more complicated than they seem.
wat0n wrote:...And well, Hubbard failed all the lifts and was DQ'ed. Lol.

Indeed. So I suppose justice was done to some extent. Although officially the first Trans athlete who will receive a medal at the Olympics will be a Canadian Football player called Quinn soon enough. Officially a non binary athlete, Quinn is allowed to compete in the Canadian female football team due to Quinns sex being female. So the question then goes to why we don't use biological terms and definitions in sports to allow fairness in competition as shown in the Olympic football rather than gender which is suppose to be about acceptance in any case. :hmm:
Pants-of-dog wrote:Meanwhile, a trans athlete just won gold in a women's event and no one noticed.

I think quite a lot of people noticed, actually. It's been all over the news the last few days.

Do you think the difference in reactions to Quinn and Laurel Hubbard might be instructive? Two trans athletes competing in women's sport, except one didn't go through male puberty. It seems like that, rather than simple bigotry, might be an important factor in this controversy.
This Olympics has been a disaster. I did not watch on second of it. People died so that we could have an event we only have, in the best of times, once every four years. Disgraceful.

Trans athletes should be required to compete with their actual sex. Full stop. If this hurts their feelings and they can't handle that they should trans to male and suck it up. Men have been being disappointed in sports since ancient Greece.
Heisenberg wrote:I think quite a lot of people noticed, actually. It's been all over the news the last few days.

Do you think the difference in reactions to Quinn and Laurel Hubbard might be instructive? Two trans athletes competing in women's sport, except one didn't go through male puberty. It seems like that, rather than simple bigotry, might be an important factor in this controversy.

Also Quinn did so in football, which is a team sport, and Hubbard did so in weightlifting, which is individual and also far more centered on strength than football is. Hubbard was far more salient since she's not part of a team. But this makes her case even more ironic if you ask me.

I wonder if videos of how Quinn plays will someday begin to surface to see if she had an advantage or not. And I also wonder if some literature with far more systematic evidence will actually surface to answer the question about the extent of the advantage of MtF trans athletes in professional female sports, if any, after these Olympics.
wat0n wrote:Also Quinn did so in football, which is a team sport, and Hubbard did so in weightlifting, which is individual and also far more centered on strength than football is.

Oh, no doubt. I think it's quite noteworthy that the most prominent "trans athlete" controversies I can think of are MtF cases in sports where strength and size differences between men and women are most apparent: Laurel Hubbard in weightlifting, Fallon Fox in mixed martial arts, and Hannah Mouncey in Australian rules football.

wat0n wrote:I wonder if videos of how Quinn plays will someday begin to surface to see if she had an advantage or not.

I mean, I can't see why Quinn would have an advantage. They're biologically female and as far as I'm aware, not taking hormones to transition to living as a man.
Last edited by Heisenberg on 07 Aug 2021 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
Love to see what the LPGA would look like if five top male players decided they preferred to be female. They could vacuum up all of the price money in a couple of years and transition back to male in time to play on the senior tour.
They should just open up the Olympics and allow all PEDs. Most, if not all, of the athletes are already on them.

I don't give a fig about transgender athletes. It's not really an issue. Their rarity makes them more of a novelty than anything else, and something for conservatives to complain about.

A transgender athlete winning a gold medal as part of a team, is hardly indication of an unfair advantage, either.
Godstud wrote:They should just open up the Olympics and allow all PEDs

:up:

I agree 100%. I've been calling for this, for years.

Let the best cheaters win!

Godstud wrote:A transgender athlete winning a gold medal as part of a team, is hardly indication of an unfair advantage, either.

Well, still don't know if it is or isn't an advantage. There are stories here and there where it certainly looks like an advantage. Hence why I say, I think we just have to let it play out.
wat0n wrote:...And well, Hubbard failed all the lifts and was DQ'ed. Lol.

Best Olympic news all day, except for the news that Richard Torres Jr. is fighting for the gold medal tonight, in mens superheavyweight boxing.

(Also, this shit here is pretty damned badass. NBC will force you to click the video and watch it on youtube, but a highlight is enclosed. Lasha Talakhadze smashes ALL THREE world records in men's 109kg class | Tokyo Olympics | NBC Sports.)

wat0n wrote:Failing the lifts does not mean not doing anything. You can fail the lifts if you fail to perform them with proper form, e.g. by trying to lift too much weight.

We'd need to see how did she try to do the C&J and snatch to comment further. Those lifts are more complicated than they seem.

Yes, I agree; weightlifting is a difficult and interesting sport; and I know what you are driving at, I don't think he/she threw the event, but I'm glad it failed.

And not because of any ill will, but because, of all the nonsense we've discussed in this thread.

I am pretty sure we will just see more of this, men competing against women, stuff, which is sorta like, analogous to forgetting all weightclasses in boxing (which, openweight fights are cool, but weightclasses also serve their purpose).

The insistence that men (even ones who still have testicles), can use drugs and then have no advantage against women; and that it is called 'science' and if you criticize it is because, 'you don't know the science'; it is the stupidest, most obviously false, nonsense that I have encountered in recent memory.

I am looking forward to the 15 year old 90 pound olympic gymnast who decides to 'transition' to male, and join the men's Olympic squad, in the following Olympic cycle.

(Everyone can plainly identify the ridiculousness of such a notion, but the mainstream culture says it's okay for a 300 pound weightlifter to decide to put on high heels and then compete with women, or for a male MMA fighter or boxer to decide to 'identify' as female, and go beat up chicks.)
Last edited by Crantag on 08 Aug 2021 01:44, edited 1 time in total.
I'm also okay with battle of the sexes matches, where a woman who is great at her sport, challenges dudes.

Not because men are inherently better; women are better at certain sports, or certain aspects of sports.

Ann Wolfe, for example, though.

Women's boxing is not as developed as mens boxing; women are just as capable at boxing, but there is a different stylistic aspect to how women fight; but, boxing does involve strength and power, and so men's boxing will probably always be superior, in terms of it all. (Women are better at gymnastics though, and many things.)

Ann Wolf cleaned out her women's division in boxing, and tried to fight in the men's division.

She probably woulda been decent.

She was stopped from doing so.

Now she is a boxing trainer.

She trained James Kirkland to title shots. (I don't know her training situation now, but after she stopped boxing, because she had no chicks to fight, and wasn't allowed to fight guys, she trained some good, high profile boxers.)

Yes Chomsky - the Pepsi-Cola professor of Linguis[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

Iran's attack on the Zionist entity, a justified a[…]

No seems to be able to confront what the consequen[…]

https://twitter.com/i/status/1781393888227311712