Saving the Olympics - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

By Juin
Increasingly the Olympics reminds me of Hans Christian Andersen's 'The Emperor's New Clothes'. Everyone praises it, everyone hypes it; but the fact of the matter is it sucks. Everyone praises it because it is the woke thing to do. Fact of the matter is the Olympics has ballooned into the equivalent of a 400 lb couch potatoe. It has become grotesque. Too many events. To add to the absurdity, one chanel has the bid to cover the Olympics; and has to keep jumping from event to event.

1 Cut the number of contests in the Olympics by 90%, is my first suggestion.

For starters, any event that I have to rely on the commentators to tell me how well an athlete performed should be axed. Like most of those diving events. All the divers looked to me- and I imagine to other spectators- as having made a perfect dive. But then what do we know? It takes an expert on the commentator seat to zoom in and tell us that this one nailed it, or that one blew it by how much spray of water they kicked up.

2 I think gymanstics should be shelved. By which I mean those parallel bar nonesense, and those floor exercises.

The only kind of sports that should make the cut should be ones that are all about brute force. Running, boxing, team sports.

Does anyone have any ideas that can put some life back into the Olympics?
By Fasces
Putting aside all the nonsense in the OP, I think fixing the Olympics, in a real sense, is as simple as picking a single site (Athens and elsewhere) to permanently host the Summer and Winter Olympics respectively.
By colliric
Fasces wrote:Putting aside all the nonsense in the OP, I think fixing the Olympics, in a real sense, is as simple as picking a single site (Athens and elsewhere) to permanently host the Summer and Winter Olympics respectively.

Or just pick cities that have at least 70-80% of the infrastructure required already in place.
By Rancid
In modern life, we have so many more distractions available to us. So many more modes of entertainment. Video games, streaming, music, drugs, travel, books, etc. etc. We are also more time starved than ever. It's easy to not care about the Olympics.

It's a total bore to watch.

Also the IOC is one of the most corrupt organizations on the planet.
By Godstud
Fuck the Olympics.

When money is more important than people's lives, it becomes stupid.

IOC is a piece of shit and along with FIFA, amongst the most corrupt and amoral.

I agree with @Fasces. They should just hold the Olympics in the same place every year(Greece is the best choice, as it is historically significant), with everyone chipping in to make a permanent infrastructure. It would save a fortune, and travel is easy enough. They'd still have all their expensive TV rights.
By Juin
Rancid wrote:It's a total bore to watch.
Also the IOC is one of the most corrupt organizations on the planet.

I agree, it is a total bore to watch, and the IOC is notorious for its corruption
By colliric
Godstud wrote:Fuck the Olympics.

When money is more important than people's lives, it becomes stupid.

IOC is a piece of shit and along with FIFA, amongst the most corrupt and amoral.

I agree with @Fasces. They should just hold the Olympics in the same place every year(Greece is the best choice, as it is historically significant), with everyone chipping in to make a permanent infrastructure. It would save a fortune, and travel is easy enough. They'd still have all their expensive TV rights.

Frankly I was shocked back in the day that the 100th anniversary games wasn't held in Athens. You'd think they'd at least put the major anniversary games in Greece.

They need travelling host cities, but the requirement for hosting should be based around having the majority of the infrastructure in place already. They should no longer favour developing cities anymore.

The next games in Paris, Los Angeles and Brisbane are at least in cities that won't have to build as much stuff. Two of them have hosted before(no matter how long ago) and Brisbane hosted the Commonwealth Games recently so has most of the sporting facilities already.
By Godstud
Climbing is an event? I guess since falling(diving) is one, that makes a strange kind of sense.

Combining the two might be interesting.
By AFAIK
Godstud wrote:Climbing is an event? I guess since falling(diving) is one, that makes a strange kind of sense.

Check out deep water solo.
By Crantag
They should just put it on youtube, if they want people to watch it.

Or, at least, make it possible to sign up for a subscription, without taking out a cable subscription.

I don't have a tv, let alone a tv subscription; and don't want to shell out $70 a month, to get behind their paywall.

I have had to resort to trying to pirate streams, or just watch highlights on youtube.

To me personally, I thought the American men's wrestling squad made a pretty good showing, at least.

And the American's men's boxing team his done pretty good.

Richard Torres Jr., the American superheavyweight is fighting in the finals in around 12 hours' time.

He sorta reminds me of Rocky Marciano.

This was his semi-finals highlight.

By Crantag
Also, NBC pushed their peacock streaming service, as a place to watch the olympics.

I bought the bate, like a sucker.

They don't even show olympics, just highlights, and tv features.

Side note, Keyshawn Davis is also fighting for gold.

But, my experience trying to watch or follow the Olympics has been mostly one of frustration.

It's partly the wider issue of how the internet has been broken, and largely a product of their stupid exclusive TV and streaming rights, where it is not about showing sport, but just trying to sucker money out of people.
By Crantag
The olympics is not worth saving.

Here is a new video, (click the link on the video, NBC forces you to watch it on youtube)

This is the biggest joke. It's karate. Make it full contact, and let them fight.

The guy lands a good kick, knocks his opponent out, and is disqualified for it.

Lol, their example of karate as a 'show sport' was to try to make karate guys play paddycake, bakers man.
By Crantag
They disqualified him for throwing a kick that was too hard. Lol. What a joke.

Taekwando guys (also an Olympic sport) throw hard kicks and knock each other out all the time, by the way.

The Olympics is a total joke.

To save it. Focus on the sporting aspect, and make it accessible to people.

They focus on complicated stupid schedules, gimmick sporting, and making it very exclusive to try to watch.
By Juin
Crantag wrote:It's partly the wider issue of how the internet has been broken, and largely a product of their stupid exclusive TV and streaming rights, where it is not about showing sport, but just trying to sucker money out of people.

They have to do something about the exclusive tv and streaming rights thing. I just looked it up, and one website says the 2021 Olympics has some 33 different sports, competing for some 339 different gold medals!

Wont it make sense to break up the 33 different sports and have chanels bid for coverage of each of them? At least one can focus on one's preferred nitch
By Crantag
Juin wrote:They have to do something about the exclusive tv and streaming rights thing. I just looked it up, and one website says the 2021 Olympics has some 33 different sports, competing for some 339 different gold medals!

Wont it make sense to break up the 33 different sports and have chanels bid for coverage of each of them? At least one can focus on one's preferred nitch

It is hundreds and hundreds of hours of to most in most cases, boring, repetitive, sporting matches.

And, then, they put it behind a paywall.

If the goal was to share the sports with people who want to watch them, and make it accessible, it'd go a long way.

I stayed up all night, jumping in and out of pirate streams, trying to catch some of the judo action; there was no easy way for me to access it (other than signing up for expensive subscription services, whilst I don't even own a tv).

I would be there watching, I'd even pay a little money, but it is just a scam organization.

Just like a lot of the other bullshit we daily deal with.
By Crantag
Godstud wrote:Climbing is an event? I guess since falling(diving) is one, that makes a strange kind of sense.

Climbing is actually a cool primal sport.

"Run down that track."

"Swim across that lake."

"Jump off that cliff."

"Climb that cliff, and jump off."

Climbing is cool. I don't like skateboarding in the Olympics, more than climbing. (And I'm a life long skateboarder, I skateboarded yesterday, and I have skateboareded for about 26 years now if I count, damn.)

Skateboarders like the counter culture, and skateboarding is very uncompetitive, but climbing is a very raw, hard core, basic sport. (And also not competitive, I think).

Olympics sorta sucks though, this thread does have a point on that.

@ingliz We have different parts of genetics b[…]

Farage, btw, is a Putin puppet. What a laugh. Th[…]

If the Brits ever come to their senses, that will[…]

Not much, commercial real estate is boom or bust.[…]