Is this where the West is heading? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Unthinking Majority wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NdE9CjkvTY

Insane over-sensitivity, complete lack of resilience by anyone, kowtowing to the lowest denominator, an inability to function, and telling everyone what they can't do. "Nobody speak, nobody get hurt". This video is both hilarious, sad, and scary.

@Unthinking Majority ;

These people are coddled and protected by our society, much as you might coddle and protect a handicapped family member, but they have no power. Thank God. If they were ever to sit upon the seats of power, natural processes themselves would cast them down and raise thinker-skinned, resilient, higher level and higher functioning individuals in their places.
Unthinking Majority wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NdE9CjkvTY

Insane over-sensitivity, complete lack of resilience by anyone, kowtowing to the lowest denominator, an inability to function, and telling everyone what they can't do. "Nobody speak, nobody get hurt". This video is both hilarious, sad, and scary.

:) Mostly yes.

I have to believe this is still a fringe set of people. It has to be. For example, I don't know people that are so mentally fragile.
annatar1914 wrote:
@Unthinking Majority ;

These people are coddled and protected by our society, much as you might coddle and protect a handicapped family member, but they have no power. Thank God. If they were ever to sit upon the seats of power, natural processes themselves would cast them down and raise thinker-skinned, resilient, higher level and higher functioning individuals in their places.

I hope you are right. I am inclined to believe you though. I would guess and hope that people like this would not be capable of ascending to any sort of real positions of power. In any typical corporation/government/organization, these people would be quickly pushed out by power playing competitiors that don't give a fuck about their weak mental strength. That, or they will be completely paralyzed by indecision; in other words, they will just talk talk talk, and never take any real action. This is because they are more concerned with everyone's feelings and inclusion than getting shit done. In this case, others will just pass right by them to grab power.

This is funny as shit though. :lol:

I can tell you, I am raising my kids to not fall for this bullshit. It's a loser's game.
Rancid wrote:I hope you are right. I am inclined to believe you though. I would guess and hope that people like this would not be capable of ascending to any sort of real positions of power. In any typical corporation/government/organization, these people would be quickly pushed out by power playing competitiors that don't give a fuck about their weak mental strength. That, or they will be completely paralyzed by indecision; in other words, they will just talk talk talk, and never take any real action. This is because they are more concerned with everyone's feelings and inclusion than getting shit done. In this case, others will just pass right by them to grab power.

This is funny as shit though. :lol:

I can tell you, I am raising my kids to not fall for this bullshit. It's a loser's game.

@Rancid ;

It's definitely a ''loser's game'', and something which I need to reflect on myself from time to time. Sometime look up what Nietzsche and Kirkegaard say about the concept of ''Ressentiment'' ;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ressentim ... _Nietzsche
annatar1914 wrote:
@Rancid ;

It's definitely a ''loser's game'', and something which I need to reflect on myself from time to time. Sometime look up what Nietzsche and Kirkegaard say about the concept of ''Ressentiment'' ;

Gave the wiki a quick read. That is interesting. The strong-willed person doesn't have the time on hand to go around blaming others for their own failures. Yea, that sounds right.
So ressentiment is basically blaming the noncomformists or pariahs for failings of the masses? Thanks for sharing the wiki @annatar1914 . I remember some guys in the philosophy department who were into Nietzsche, brings me back to my undergrad years.

Society does not like to acknoowledge problems. No one wants to admit the problems exist because then they have to find a solution and act on it. Most people talk rather than lift a finger to do anything.
annatar1914 wrote:@Unthinking Majority ;

What if they invent affirmative action quotas for the weak-minded?
Rancid wrote:.

:) Mostly yes.

I have to believe this is still a fringe set of people. It has to be. For example, I don't know people that are so mentally fragile.

Fringe now, but also teaching university courses, producing Hollywood films, and leading twitter rage-fests...all to influence the next generation.

Amazing how some hyper-sensitive stuff gets traction when 98% of the people I know aren't like that at all.
Last edited by Unthinking Majority on 22 Aug 2021 00:49, edited 1 time in total.
Rancid wrote:I hope you are right. I am inclined to believe you though. I would guess and hope that people like this would not be capable of ascending to any sort of real positions of power. In any typical corporation/government/organization, these people would be quickly pushed out by power playing competitiors that don't give a fuck about their weak mental strength.

I dunno. In the business world they'd be eaten alive, but in government they're just competing with themselves. California and the pacific northwest is heading this way. You look at how many student governments on campus function and its terrifying. The hope is that people like this grow up a bit once they get out of school.
All I have to say, is that I hope you are wrong @Unthinking Majority. We shall see.

Also, i'm experiencing sensory overload. Can you guys slow down the posting?
annatar1914 wrote:@Rancid ;

Ressentiment is certainly real:

In philosophy and psychology, ressentiment (French pronunciation: ​[rəsɑ̃timɑ̃]) is one of the forms of resentment or hostility. The concept was of particular interest to some 19th century thinkers, most notably Friedrich Nietzsche. According to their use, ressentiment is a sense of hostility directed toward an object that one identifies as the cause of one's frustration, that is, an assignment of blame for one's frustration.[1] The sense of weakness or inferiority complex and perhaps even jealousy in the face of the "cause" generates a rejecting/justifying value system, or morality, which attacks or denies the perceived source of one's frustration. This value system is then used as a means of justifying one's own weaknesses by identifying the source of envy as objectively inferior, serving as a defense mechanism that prevents the resentful individual from addressing and overcoming their insecurities and flaws. The ego creates an enemy in order to insulate itself from culpability.
Unthinking Majority wrote:https://youtu.be/_NdE9CjkvTY?t=34

Insane over-sensitivity, complete lack of resilience by anyone, kowtowing to the lowest denominator, an inability to function, and telling everyone what they can't do. "Nobody speak, nobody gets hurt". This video is both hilarious, sad, and scary.

Is this real or a comedy sketch?
Unthinking Majority wrote:What if they invent affirmative action quotas for the weak-minded?

@Unthinking Majority ;

In this imperfect world, some will never be satisfied with arrangements meant to help them, no matter how Just and Good those arrangements can be, those subject to Ressentiment will always demand more, to infinity, until everything lies in burning ruins and they subsequently starve to death, gnawing on their own anger and venemous spleen.
Unthinking Majority wrote:Fringe now, but also teaching university courses, producing Hollywood films, and leading twitter rage-fests...all to influence the next generation.

That seems an example of ressentiment. The masses blaming the successful 'elite' for the ills of society.
What's with all the dogpiling?

This is obviously hitting a nerve with everyone here, because of all of the psychologizing of an organizational culture.

No, I'm not DSA, but *at most* one could probably say 'get off the gluten' to some of the participants at that conference.

Instead of *smearing*, maybe focus on the *politics*, like income inequality and wealth inequality.

I recently wrote about the potential for activity in the junk bond market to trigger a large-scale financial crisis in the United States—and around the world. Soon after, I began getting correspondence from readers who pointed to what they saw as similar speculative excesses in the mortgage market. These readers are not wrong. Financial media outlets are already covering the dizzying increase in house prices across the U.S. What's missing, however, is a systematic breakdown of how big this bubble could be, and its implications.

Bubbles in housing markets are first and foremost caused by the overvaluation of homes. Two of the most popular ways to measure housing valuation are inflation-adjusted house price indices and house price-to-median income indices.

Inflation-adjusted house price indices show us how much house prices have risen relative to prices in the economy as a whole. Right now, this index is flashing bright red: it is giving us a reading of 94.6. This is the highest in history—the previous high being 92.3 in March 2006. The house price-to-median income index measures the affordability of housing relative to the average person's salary. It is flashing red too: it is giving us a reading of 6.7, just below the previous high of 7 in November 2005.

Based on these measures, it is safe to say that the U.S. housing market is as overvalued as it ever has been in history. So there is little reason to doubt that a large bubble has inflated in this market.

https://www.newsweek.com/are-we-about-r ... on-1620249
Goofy thread.

At the time of Nietzsche the country was becoming a country. Everyone had grown up with the joys of dukes and nobles, most would have good reason to resent that. At the same time, they were developing a capitalist economy. That's never an easy process, and usually a ton of people get screwed over badly when it happens. On top of that, you can add income inequality.

I like Nietzsche, to my way of thinking, he was the first truly Modern intellectual. Almost nobody understands him, because they don't know he was responding to the era he lived in...

But he didn't get everything right, and this one of those times.

Chinese and Russian propagandists are selling doom and gloom. Ask yourself, would you prefer living there?

Not sure how we get there, except that our kids seem immune to a lot of the BS my generation fell for, so it may just be a matter of time before they get their day in the sun.

But, even now, Biden is worlds better than Trump. We are making a huge dent in poverty. It's miles and miles from perfect, but it's a start. You see, Americans like bandaids. They don't actually fix problems, they just put a bandaid on the cancer and call it good.

And those are the good guys, the Republicans have become self destructive nihilistic fanatics.
late wrote:
Chinese and Russian propagandists are selling doom and gloom. Ask yourself, would you prefer living there?

This definitely sounds like scapegoating and demonizing.

Note that the Democrats are on the record for doing this kind of thing:

The anti-Russia campaign in the US

Internet CensorshipThe war drive against RussiaWar and militarism

Since the dissolution of the USSR, the US has pursued an aggressive military build-up against Russia. In the 2000s, the US orchestrated several so called “color revolutions” in countries bordering Russia, including Georgia and Ukraine. This campaign has culminated in the 2014 coup in Kiev.

The advanced war preparations have been bound up with a hysterical campaign in the US media against the Putin regime and Russia. Spearheaded by the Democratic Party in conjunction with the national intelligence agencies, this war-time like agitation has served as the basis for both an aggressive escalation of the military-build up against Russia and further assault on democratic rights, above all the censorship of the internet.

Since 2017,the Democratic Party has made the conflict over the correct tactics in the war preparations against Russia the center of its opposition to the Trump administration, including the failed 2019-2020 impeachment drive. The aim of this campaign has been to mobilize sections of the upper middle class for an imperialist war against Russia, while at the same time diverting social opposition to the Trump administration.

https://www.wsws.org/en/topics/militari ... ted-states
ckaihatsu wrote:What's with all the dogpiling?

This is obviously hitting a nerve with everyone here, because of all of the psychologizing of an organizational culture.

No, I'm not DSA, but *at most* one could probably say 'get off the gluten' to some of the participants at that conference.

Instead of *smearing*, maybe focus on the *politics*, like income inequality and wealth inequality.

I don't think the politics of this group is that relevant to my point. I think the video shows what happens when the hyper-sensitive PC culture is taken to an extreme.

Most of these young people at the conference seem like very compassionate and nice people. However when you come up with new social customs you have to figure out a way for them to work in a social system. Everyone declaring "he/him" before speaking assumes people are going to remember everyone's preference. Seems more reasonable for people who aren't trans to not declare this, far easier just to assume a guy who looks like a guy is a he/him unless informed otherwise.

This is a lie. You're not that stupid or ignorant[…]

Neither is an option too. Neither have your inte[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@JohnRawls There is no ethnic cleansing going o[…]

They are building a Russian Type nuclear reactor..[…]