ISS is Falling Apart! - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By B0ycey
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58408911

Don't know why, but I always thought the ISS was a long term project. This report says it was designed for a 15 years lifespan. Well anyway, it seems we have found out why the Russians want to bail out. The thing is falling apart. So soon, low Earth Orbit is yet another thing China will have supremacy over. I once started a thread about China winning the space race. Given the West is dependent on the interest of Musk and to a lesser degree Bezos, it seems that is difficult to deny. And given this project, which doesn’t seem that old, looks destined to end, what are we left with in space?
By XogGyux
Well, the thing has been on literal free-fall for 2 decades.. it was time for it to start showing its age.
It costs about 2-3K USD per kilogram to put shit on low earth orbit. Yet, we keep "abandoning" items there.
What we need is an orbital factory so we can recycle all this expensive shit that we keep burning in our atmosphere when we cannot longer use it.
By B0ycey
XogGyux wrote:Well, the thing has been on literal free-fall for 2 decades.. it was time for it to start showing its age.

But given the size and cost, I was expecting more than 30 years. We could have just made another Mir for the few experiments that go on there. And there isn't going to be a replacement of this station any time soon given Musk seems to be focusing on Mars. This does though make a mockery of Igor who made the claim we could colonise space rather than deal with climate change. If gravity is too much for a sustainable space station, how the fuck are we going to colonise space?
By late
Out first space station fell out of the sky, Russia's first space station, same.

We've gotten most of what can be gotten out of a LEO station...

The problem is the next step is a permanent station at L5. And even if we partner with a dozen other countries, that will be crazy expensive.

If we start mining the Moon, we will have the infrastructure to start work on an L5 station. But we won't be ready to even talk about it for roughly a generation.
By XogGyux
B0ycey wrote:But given the size and cost, I was expecting more than 30 years. We could have just made another Mir for the few experiments that go on there. And there isn't going to be a replacement of this station any time soon given Musk seems to be focusing on Mars. This does though make a mockery of Igor who made the claim we could colonise space rather than deal with climate change. If gravity is too much for a sustainable space station, how the fuck are we going to colonise space?

We have to deal with both issues. This cannot be an "either-or" situation.
By B0ycey
late wrote:If we start mining the Moon, we will have the infrastructure to start work on an L5 station. But we won't be ready to even talk about it for roughly a generation.

Mining the moon? Let's just concentrate on building a station there first and I don't expect that to happen in a generation FYI. Bush was talking about manned missions to the moon 20 years ago and we haven't even done that ffs. And even so, I suspect China will beat the West to the moon anyway. They certainly will if the West focus on Mars. And I don't even think the cost of mining would even make the minerals we get worth it anyway.
By B0ycey
XogGyux wrote:We have to deal with both issues. This cannot be an "either-or" situation.

Well given the US have basically auctioned their space agenda out to private business, you are at the mercy of the private sector. Musk is more interested in Mars and his reusable rockets. Bezos, space tourism. So which billionaire is interested in LEO?
By Rancid
B0ycey wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58408911

Don't know why, but I always thought the ISS was a long term project. This report says it was designed for a 15 years lifespan. Well anyway, it seems we have found out why the Russians want to bail out. The thing is falling apart. So soon, low Earth Orbit is yet another thing China will have supremacy over. I once started a thread about China winning the space race. Given the West is dependent on the interest of Musk and to a lesser degree Bezos, it seems that is difficult to deny. And given this project, which doesn’t seem that old, looks destined to end, what are we left with in space?

It's basically time to start learning Mandarin.

That said, how can space research be carried out without the ISS? Aside from Russia, would China invite western nations onto their space station? :?:
Rancid wrote:It's basically time to start learning Mandarin.

That said, how can space research be carried out without the ISS? Aside from Russia, would China invite western nations onto their space station? :?:

The future of the world will be more like 1984 Rancid. It will be run by large states. That is why I would rather the UK stay in the EU. So the US won't need to learn Mandarin the same way China wouldn't need to learn English. Because China is as nationalistic and patriotic as America and just as keen to keep the state from turning into ashes as would be true with America I would say. So it will be another cold war. You will be in a race to achieve things. And space is likely to be that race.

As for space research, most of the experiments that go on there could be done using satellites and are basically forged to give the ISS purpose. But given it doesn't seem likely to last another decade, what is the West supremacy in space? The answer nothing. So in the race for space, I only see one winner.
By late
B0ycey wrote:
Mining the moon? Let's just concentrate on building a station there first and I don't expect that to happen in a generation FYI.

Bush was talking about manned missions to the moon 20 years ago and we haven't even done that ffs.

And even so, I suspect China will beat the West to the moon anyway.

They certainly will if the West focus on Mars. And I don't even think the cost of mining would even make the minerals we get worth it anyway.

Of course we will need a station there first.

Bush was talking out his *ss.

We've been there before, but what you meant is that China will get serious before we do. I agree.

IMUO, a manned Mars mission would suck way too much money away from things that need doing.
By late
Rancid wrote:
That said, how can space research be carried out without the ISS?

Most Space research doesn't need people. What we were really doing was learning how to live in Space.
By Rancid
B0ycey wrote:The future of the world will be more like 1984 Rancid.

I would say, people in China will live in a 1984. People in the west will live in more of a cyberpunk type of dystopia. That is, corporations will be the de-facto government.

When we are all brain washed by our respective systems. We will all be arguing about which dystopian model is least worst. :lol: :*(
By B0ycey
Rancid wrote:I would say, people in China will live in a 1984. People in the west will live in more of a cyberpunk type of dystopia. That is, corporations will be the de-facto government.

When we are all brain washed by our respective systems. We will all be arguing about which dystopian model is least worst. :lol: :*(

What I meant is there will be four superstates and they will compete with each other and defacto rule over small countries due to their size. They however will not control each other. China couldn't win a war against America the same way America couldn't win a war against China. They will just fight a cold war and I suspect that is our future.
B0ycey wrote:
What I meant is there will be four superstates and they will compete with each other and defacto rule over small countries due to their size. They however will not control each other. China couldn't win a war against America the same way America couldn't win a war against China. They will just fight a cold war and I suspect that is our future.

ah, ok.

The future is bright.
By Potemkin
B0ycey wrote:What I meant is there will be four superstates and they will compete with each other and defacto rule over small countries due to their size. They however will not control each other. China couldn't win a war against America the same way America couldn't win a war against China. They will just fight a cold war and I suspect that is our future.

"The past was alterable. The past never had been altered. Oceania was at war with Eastasia. Oceania had always been at war with Eastasia." - George Orwell.
By AFAIK
LEO is old news. Lagrange points are the future and will be dominated by James Webb!

Webb will be the largest, most powerful and complex space telescope ever built and launched into space. It will fundamentally alter our understanding of the universe.
https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/

@Rugoz You are a fuckin' moralist, Russia could[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

A new film has been released destroying the offici[…]

You are a supporter of the genocide against the P[…]

Before he was elected he had a charity that he wo[…]