Petrol Stations closed in the UK-Military to be drafted to deliver fuel - Page 6 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Rugoz wrote:I'm merely stating that one promise of the Brexiteers, namely higher wages due to less immigration, seems to be materializing at least for blue collar workers.

It's materialising while the country's breaking down, did they also promise that? I also wonder if people, including so-much-preferred blue collar workers, imagined it like this. Or is your whole point only to point out the surprising fact even true in the UK that if labour shortage is suddenly created, then wages suddenly rise? Is this supposed to be the great wonder or delivery of Brexit?
Beren wrote:It's materialising while the country's breaking down, did they also promise that?

Breaking down? Oh please, how many times have we heard this nonsense.

Beren wrote:Or is your whole point only to point out the surprising fact even true in the UK that if labour shortage is suddenly created, then wages suddenly rise? Is this supposed to be the great wonder or delivery of Brexit?

Well, the mere suggestion of this "great wonder" has always been a sort of heresy among EU-philes. After all the 4 freedoms are for the benefit of all and shall never be questioned.
Rugoz wrote:Breaking down? Oh please, how many times have we heard this nonsense.

Well, the mere suggestion of this "great wonder" has always been a sort of heresy among EU-philes. After all the 4 freedoms are for the benefit of all and shall never be questioned.

When you need the army to fix a problem then it is breakdown.
Rugoz wrote:Breaking down? Oh please, how many times have we heard this nonsense.

Thanks for your semantic criticism, which has nothing to do with my point.

Rugoz wrote:Well, the mere suggestion of this "great wonder" has always been a sort of heresy among EU-philes. After all the 4 freedoms are for the benefit of all and shall never be questioned.

Thanks for your trolling, too.
Only Britain could return to wartime conditions without a shot fired. Is there some other forgotten island chain that some medium power can try to invade/reclaim again?

Blowing someone up always makes people feel better about themselves. :)
By the way, UKs productivity has been falling in comparison with the EU for some time now. The biggest drops were after Brexit and now UK stands below EU27 average.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/databrows ... le?lang=en
JohnRawls wrote:By the way, UKs productivity has been falling in comparison with the EU for some time now. The biggest drops were after Brexit and now UK stands below EU27 average.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/databrows ... le?lang=en

Labour productivity per hour worked can be misleading because it increases when unproductive workers leave/are pushed out of the labor market. It also tends to increase when people work less hours because they become more productive during those hours (which might be desired of course).

It should be put into context (i.e. by looking at the labor force participation at the same time).

P.S. Why compare the UK to the EU27? The EU can be expected to have higher growth potential because many of its members are still somewhat "underdeveloped".
Rugoz wrote:Labour productivity per hour worked can be misleading because it increases when unproductive workers leave/are pushed out of the labor market. It also tends to increase when people work less hours because they become more productive during those hours (which might be desired of course).

It should be put into context (i.e. by looking at the labor force participation at the same time).

P.S. Why compare the UK to the EU27? The EU can be expected to have higher growth potential because many of its members are still somewhat "underdeveloped".

We are not talking about growth but about absolute numbers. EU27 average absolute number is larger than the UKs. It was just displayed in percentages.

Well why not? Isn't the argument of Brexit is that UK can surpass the EU27 in some way, i guess on average per capita is the best way to compare no?
Rancid wrote:Is the UK poised to become a shithole?

That is the secret sauce of Brexit. How did you figure it out? (Well at leats by European standards, probably world wide it will be fine)

Just remember UK, if the day is bad then

Rancid wrote:Is the UK poised to become a shithole?

If I had to guess, I'd assume it ends up being a few years of disruption and then the two sides quietly, and gradually, negotiating something that ends up with the UK back in the EEA/single market (but not the EU) in all but name.

Capitalists will always do whatever they can to ensure trade flows smoothly. Right now, with Brexit still "raw" and it being election season in both France and Germany, it isn't politically possible for either side to be reasonable. There will be a lot of grandstanding for a little while yet.

Also, bear in mind that JohnRawls, despite being from a pretend country that relies entirely on the US and UK for its continued existence, comes at this issue with an enormous amount of wishful thinking, which colours his analysis. I assume it's because he resents our benevolent protection. :angel:
Heisenberg wrote:If I had to guess, I'd assume it ends up being a few years of disruption and then the two sides quietly, and gradually, negotiating something that ends up with the UK back in the EEA/single market (but not the EU) in all but name.

Capitalists will always do whatever they can to ensure trade flows smoothly.

I wonder if that's what BoJo's actually working on with delivering a "raw" Brexit, or is the UK government really that incompetent?

The Donbas fortifications have been incredibly su[…]

@litwin is clearly an Alex Jones type conspir[…]

It is true that the Hindu's gave us nothing. But […]

I dont buy it, Why would anyone go for a vacation […]