WTF is THIS? What is America? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Scenes that perhaps bring the thoughts to the end of the Roman Empire where the empire slowly deteriorated with more and more of its the lands furthest away from Rome essentially seizing to be a part of the empire.

In USA it is perhaps the people furthest away from big capital instead.

That doesnt mean it will fall any time soon, but something needs to be happend to stop the current development.
boomerintown wrote:That doesnt mean it will fall any time soon, but something needs to be happend to stop the current development.

This issue isn't something that would take down a state. It is an issue of high rents, low housing stock not meeting demand. The solution is to build more homes. But why would real estate do that when they get high rents?
B0ycey wrote:This issue isn't something that would take down a state. It is an issue of high rents, low housing stock not meeting demand. The solution is to build more homes. But why would real estate do that when they get high rents?

I'm pretty sure they'd be happy to market more homes. Why else do you think that's exactly what happens during housing bubbles?
wat0n wrote:I'm pretty sure they'd be happy to market more homes. Why else do you think that's exactly what happens during housing bubbles?

Well where are the homes? The bubble is due to a high demand low supply market. There is no major initiative to fix this when the landlord wins either way.
B0ycey wrote:Well where are the homes? The bubble is due to a high demand low supply market. There is no major initiative to fix this when the landlord wins either way.

They don't exist because several cities have strict zoning laws.

Also, the landlord doesn't win if more homes are built and home prices and rents are pressured down. In fact the landlord loses both ways.

A real estate developer may also lose if he's a landlord, but this is more than offset by the commission he earns from selling the newly built homes as home prices adjust very slowly.
wat0n wrote:They don't exist because several cities have strict zoning laws.

Also, the landlord doesn't win if more homes are built and home prices and rents are pressured down.

Well we are getting somewhere... shall I repost my first post or shall we just say we are in agreement and leave it at that. :lol:
B0ycey wrote:Well we are getting somewhere... shall I repost my first post or shall we just say we are in agreement and leave it at that. :lol:

My point is that real estate != landlords.

Plenty of people own and rent their own homes. They lose too.

Those who don't like densification lose as well.
wat0n wrote:My point is that real estate != landlords.

Plenty of people own and rent their own homes. They lose too.

Those who don't like densification lose as well.

Landlords don't lose on a high demand low supply market. They maximise their profits in such an environment. The only loser in this are the people who rent. And in LA, you can put those that sleep in tents as they can't afford the rent as losers too. The fix to this is to build more homes. But it seems I having to repeat the bleeding obvious here.
Last edited by B0ycey on 05 Oct 2021 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
B0ycey wrote:
This issue isn't something that would take down a state. It is an issue of high rents, low housing stock not meeting demand. The solution is to build more homes. But why would real estate do that when they get high rents?

If the supply isn't artificially limited, they'll build. In fact, real estate developers routinely overshoot demand in sectors with competition...
B0ycey wrote:Landlords don't lose on a high demand low supply market. They maximise their profits in such an environment. The only loser in this are the people who rent. And in LA, you can put those that sleep in tents as they can't afford the rent. The fix to this is to build more homes. But it seems I having to repeat the bleeding obvious here.

No disagreement there, but if you build more to the point prices come down, homeowners will lose too. That's why it doesn't happen, ultimately.

And @late is right, developers will be happy to build if they are allowed to. They are most definitely not the reason for the current state of affairs.
late wrote:If the supply isn't artificially limited, they'll build. In fact, real estate developers routinely overshoot demand in sectors with competition...

There is no incentive to build. That is why there are restrictions in a city that needs to build big time. Why would the real estate market want to to fix this? Sure the construction market might want to build more homes as they can sell them off for a huge profit, but the landlord has no reason to enhance their portfolio. What I am telling you is common knowledge. If you sealion me again I am going to just assume you are obtuse.
B0ycey wrote:This issue isn't something that would take down a state. It is an issue of high rents, low housing stock not meeting demand. The solution is to build more homes. But why would real estate do that when they get high rents?

That's def part of it. Most of them are drugged out of their minds.

Rich americans don't care about access to education, or income equality. The rich can get rich from people abroad, there's no need to care about working class Americans anymore.

The rich build walls around their homes, they live in gated communities, to keep these people out.
wat0n wrote:No disagreement there, but if you build more to the point prices come down, homeowners will lose too. That's why it doesn't happen, ultimately.

And @late is right, developers will be happy to build if they are allowed to. They are most definitely not the reason for the current state of affairs.

Don't let those sociopaths off that easy.
B0ycey wrote:
There is no incentive to build. That is why there are restrictions in a city that needs to build big time. Why would the real estate market want to to fix this? Sure the construction market might want to build more homes as they can sell them off for a huge profit, but the landlord has no reason to enhance their portfolio. What I am telling you is common knowledge. If you sealion me again I am going to just assume you are obtuse.

Sea lion??

If you look at commercial real estate, developers go on building binges that only stop when they start getting burned.

It's the way that market works. Zoning artificially restricts the building of rental property.

Actually, zoning in America is totally f***ed up.

B0ycey wrote:There is no incentive to build. That is why there are restrictions in a city that needs to build big time. Why would the real estate market want to to fix this? Sure the construction market might want to build more homes as they can sell them off for a huge profit, but the landlord has no reason to enhance their portfolio. What I am telling you is common knowledge. If you sealion me again I am going to just assume you are obtuse.

What do you mean by "real estate" here? Real estate developers are the ones who market those homes, and earn commission. It's far more profitable than managing buildings and collecting rent.
Unthinking Majority wrote:Don't let those sociopaths off that easy.

It's not sociopathy, it is related to the contradictions of capitalism.

Capitalism breeds sociopaths sure, but it is symptomatic of the disease.
Crantag wrote:It's not sociopathy, it is related to the contradictions of capitalism.

Capitalism breeds sociopaths sure, but it is symptomatic of the disease.

You can still make a big profit and not treat people like scum. People who get wrapped up in greed make a choice to do so. Developers make money hand over fist.

I see a blatant mental illness problem, which leads to drugs and lastly, homelessness. These people would just turn free apartments into crack dens and throw themselves off balconies.

You need mental hospitals and you need to revise the culture at a foundational level.

Clearly, there is not enough social security or promotion of nuclear family. The dysfunction is instilled at an early age, in school then promoted throughout the years. These people gave up to clown world as kids. The demographic is young, in their 20's and early 30's. Poverty alone does not breed this much dysfunction. Why don't you see this many defunct addicts on the streets of India, a place far poorer with far fewer resources to go around?

This is a cultural failure. These people choose to be this way because society told them from the day they were born; "it's ok to be different. It's a virtue to be the victim. These are all positive things you should strive for."

Any of you going to buy the Trump bible he's prom[…]

No, it doesn't. The US also wants to see Hamas top[…]

Israel removed 10,000 Israeli families from Gaz[…]

The Donbas fortifications have been incredibly su[…]