Is the US economy overheating - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

"It's the economy, stupid!"

Moderator: PoFo Economics & Capitalism Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
#15194224
B0ycey wrote:I don't really know what you want me to address. If we carried on and let this whole affair have the right level of responsibility, ie isolate the vulnerable and didn't pay people to sit on their ass and scare everyone shitless with panic, we would have the supplyline running normally. This was a global fuck up so isn't down to America only. And now everyone wants to buy their shit with their free Benjamins in a market that wasn't running. I did actually say this was going to happen like two years ago when everyone was on their 'fuck the economy, health is more important campaign'.

You are just wrong.
1st gas prices are set by OPEC & the world market.
2nd, the US depends on stuff from overseas. The rest of the world was not under US's control. It also shut down. Therefore, the US would still be seeing shortages of many things now.
Like late said, China had massive mandatory lockdowns. That is what worked in other nations in Asia, along with *everyone* wearing a mask. Repuds call both of those things an abomination of freedom.
Also, Asian nations had masks for everyone, the US didn't have enough masks for even all healthcare workers.
Your plan might have been better than what we did do, however, it would have needed some 2-week lockdowns and massive mask wearing to come close to Asia's success.
Without those 2 elements your plan would have killed more Americans. However, the economic impact would have been less, I think.
. . . IMHO, the deaths would have out weighted to benefits by a country mile.

Yes, I said that there might be price increases, because of the impact of the pandemic on the US and world economies. Yes, the extra income may make the prices increase more. However, this will not be hyper inflation. OTOH, disruptions were unavoidable, so shortages and resulting price increases were unavoidable.
.
#15194230
Steve_American wrote:Such things are unconstitutional, though.
Being from Europe you may not know this.


Other things that are unconstitutional:

Ban of gun ownership and ban of carrying firearms in public (banned in multiple US states and cities).

Literally the 2nd amendment, ignored.
#15194232
Igor Antunov wrote:Other things that are unconstitutional:

Ban of gun ownership and ban of carrying firearms in public (banned in multiple US states and cities).

Literally the 2nd amendment, ignored.

Being a foreigner you don't know.
Wyatt Earp got guns carrying banned in the town in town where he was marshal in the 1870s and 80s.
I have no idea when NYC banned the carrying of guns, but I'd bet it was long before that.
.
#15194233
Being a foreigner I can still read. And clearly many amendments have been ratified into federal law including the 2nd and thus federal law prohibits banning of gun ownership and private militias in any of the constituent states. Yet they still ban them, something is funky.
#15194234
Igor Antunov wrote:Being a foreigner I can still read. And clearly many amendments have been ratified into federal law including the 2nd and thus federal law prohibits banning of gun ownership and private militias in any of the constituent states. Yet they still ban them, something is funky.

In your reading you seem to have missed the fact, that we now have 210 years of USSC decisions that are almost as important as the words in the Constitution.

There are several about the 2nd Amendment.

The Constitution specifically bans states from stopping goods from crossing over into their state. Or, people for that matter. So, your idea would require an amendment or lax USSC decision.
.
#15194237
late wrote:Interesting fantasy.

"The question now is whether the world can take lessons from China's apparent success—and whether the massive lockdowns and electronic surveillance measures imposed by an authoritarian government would work in other countries."

The only thing they didn't do is ignore Covid.

Did you find that BS, or make it up?

FYI, the American Right freaks out any time we even talk about things like quarantines, surveillance, mandatory anything, etc. Seriously, wtf?

https://www.science.org/content/article ... -countries


I can't work this out? Do you believe in the Chinese miracle that they got rid of Covid? :lol: now that is fantasy.

Nonetheless I didn't say China ignored Covid. I SAID THEY KEPT THEIR ECONOMY RUNNING and didn't pay anyone to sit on their ass post Wuhan. What they did instead was mitigate Covid which was what I said we in the West should have done two years ago as it happens when everyone was crying about hearting their lockdowns and saying the economy didn't matter. They built up their health capacity by building new hospitals, controlled the spread by wearing face masks, didn't over cook the figures and scare people shitless so people were happy to continue doing their ordinary lives without changing their habits, when the spread of Covid was looking unsustainable in specific districts they did mass testing rather than shutting down the entire country. And the result? An actual growth last year. They basically said fuck it. They didn't sacrifice their economy for no good reason. They actually gave people personal responsibility and mitigated. So get a grip. We are where we are and you were happy with that two years ago. Lockdownteers have no right to bitch about inflation or supply issues given you can't say you weren't warned.
#15194240
Steve_American wrote:You are just wrong.
1st gas prices are set by OPEC & the world market.
2nd, the US depends on stuff from overseas. The rest of the world was not under US's control. It also shut down. Therefore, the US would still be seeing shortages of many things now.
Like late said, China had massive mandatory lockdowns. That is what worked in other nations in Asia, along with *everyone* wearing a mask. Repuds call both of those things an abomination of freedom.
Also, Asian nations had masks for everyone, the US didn't have enough masks for even all healthcare workers.
Your plan might have been better than what we did do, however, it would have needed some 2-week lockdowns and massive mask wearing to come close to Asia's success.
Without those 2 elements your plan would have killed more Americans. However, the economic impact would have been less, I think.
. . . IMHO, the deaths would have out weighted to benefits by a country mile.

Yes, I said that there might be price increases, because of the impact of the pandemic on the US and world economies. Yes, the extra income may make the prices increase more. However, this will not be hyper inflation. OTOH, disruptions were unavoidable, so shortages and resulting price increases were unavoidable.
.


Right, I don't blame America for any of this. It was a global fuck up and actually America was more open than most other countries. Like how Sweden still got caught up in all this, had we all done the Swedish model (what we are all doing now), this wouldn't even be a problem now at all and that is what I am actually saying.

2nd, I am all for mitigation, vaccination and face masks. So any country that does that has my full support. I am anti lockdowns. And most definitely anti production slowdowns. And sure, America relies on over seas production and that shouldn't be the case. But this issue would still be a problem had the factories shut down at home anyway. The products people want still had to be made somewhere and the supply issues which are causing the inflation today can be traced right back to lockdowns full stop. So if you support lockdowns then you support the supply issues we have now actually. Also, I have noticed the FED and BoE are saying we can expect a sustain period of inflation now. Their tune has changed from 6 months ago... I wonder why?

3rd gas prices have shot up because the world is trying to catch up their production and energy supply had to slow down when global production was reduced (can you remember when a barrel of oil had a negative value)? So demand never ceased because we all stayed home. It was in fact delayed and the problems we are starting to see now is due to the catch up of production and demand for gas hiking to fuel that production (which wasn't being produced sufficiently last year given the hidden delayed demand wasn't factored in).
#15194255
B0ycey wrote:


Nonetheless I didn't say China ignored Covid. I SAID THEY KEPT THEIR ECONOMY RUNNING and didn't pay anyone to sit on their ass post Wuhan. What they did instead was mitigate Covid which was what I said we in the West should have done two years ago as it happens when everyone was crying about hearting their lockdowns and saying the economy didn't matter. They built up their health capacity by building new hospitals, controlled the spread by wearing face masks, didn't over cook the figures and scare people shitless so people were happy to continue doing their ordinary lives without changing their habits, when the spread of Covid was looking unsustainable in specific districts they did mass testing rather than shutting down the entire country. And the result? An actual growth last year. They basically said fuck it. They didn't sacrifice their economy for no good reason. They actually gave people personal responsibility and mitigated. So get a grip. We are where we are and you were happy with that two years ago. Lockdownteers have no right to bitch about inflation or supply issues given you can't say you weren't warned.



You are babbling.

First, we couldn't do what they did. Second, they did do lockdowns, but they didn't last long because of everything else they did. Third, that means they did give a "f***k". Fourth, other countries, like South Korea and Singapore did a good job fighting Covid. The underlying reason why much of Asia did so well was they got hit by SARS earlier and developed anti-pandemic strategies. They developed very different approaches, but one thing they have in common is that those governments haven't lost the ability to govern. Republicans love throwing monkey wrenches into the works.

This is complicated stuff, so I am not being as harsh as I would like to be. But put simply, you don't know what you're talking about.
#15194474
Were Krystal and Saagar WRONG About Inflation? | Breaking Points with Krystal and Saagar
75,823 views, Oct 14, 2021

Krystal and Saagar review the latest economic figures to come out about inflation in America and they compare the data to their analysis in previous episodes of the show.


They show a graph of inflation vs time. It shows that inflation is back to 2.09%, which is the baseline number for several years, as you can see.
I still claim that comparing prices to last month or to the same month last year will show higher numbers because last year there were price drops. Remember when gas prices went way lower when Oil prices went negative.

In any case hyperinflation is no where to be seen. At least not yet.



.
#15194574
MistyTiger wrote:So many countries are dependent on the thriving of the US dollar. I would not be too happy to see the US economy crash. China and Canada would take a hit as well as other trade partners. Other nations would probably jump in to try to save the US if it got to that crisis point. For now, the US is okay.


its Titanic waiting on the iceberg ... the problem with this is not inflation (which is docking rope) but stagflation (which is booster wind) ... still defacto the engine could be engaged and the ship steered by various means so the sinking would be avoided yet for that its not enough only political will coz simple speculation in wrong time can trigger panic and volatility of the market which will/could fireback on the interest rates debt etc. dont forget last mega depression was speculative so it would be this one too, the question is when some shadowy elites would see fit to pull that, probably that would be in wake of ww3, luckily west is behind Russia with its hypersonic missiles so we would not see for a while such scenario thus people can be challenged by inflation or stagflation but still not depression, altho many screws are now loosen on the motor of (waiting to sink) us economy ship what probably could be further loosen with any global kick eg. japanese bubbles or chinese troubles ...

    anyway stagflation or inflation, normally better the later, its wise people to consider means for rural selfsufficiency so they would survive easier any 'near'future turmoil from political economical or natural debacle ... maybe altogether at once ...

    https://www.politicsforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15175528#p15175528

anyway saving us is not in question but per'se neoliberal capitalism along endless debting gambling skim that is norm for whole world so we are on the edge of plutocracy shifting to autocratic technocracy lets say something like in China but there the system is from the People for the People while on west we would see probably some sort of futuristic feudalism wrapped in eugenic cloths as socialistic society available only to those fit to live as transhumanists!? at least the bulk of the euroatlantic determinists dream about it, I'll say for too long, the problem is that their plans are not unravelling as they've wish, simply they dont cant or want to grasp the causality laws in this world eg. rushing for ex-yu or yasmin wars so from that to welcome only spiraling system crunches that were instantly stopped with Russia in Syria ...

what is for sure is that in meantime wars hunger and diseases will become norm till we choke while drawn in the euroatlantic nightmare of ultimate lusts of ultimate imperial utopia which obviously is mirage of their ego for ultimate western might, which as we can see recently its more and more exposed as uncivilized and fake, yeah democracy of the extra'fooled by the self'fooled mammonistic elites on or behind the scenes, think only thing that is righteously regulated is pharmaceutical and beer consumption as social engineering glitch for making more and more dumber broilers so they would never question the system as was case in the past century, not that I am after revolutions, on contrary against, but there should be awakening for greater participatory democracy and like that managing the widepread corruption and at least fear sharing of the cakes, tho I doubt there is still time for such paradigm shift in usA or eU!? yeah AI will resolve their problems on Mars :)
#15194671
one interesting risky current is the recent chinese housing bubble, tho quick shifting to digital legers could become extra ballast in fears circumstances, the problem with them is that they have weak link mids storms i.e. any financial terrorist potentially through emf bombing can slowdown the rotor even bend the blades if in question is the imf-cbdc and all this aside all the rest risk that lurk bellow or above the sea surface, just project what dinosaur snooze from type of jpmorgan coz its derivative pile can done to the water, think tsunami waves ...

to grasp my point more factually try follow MaxK show, here is his last info vortex E1761 following the us economy route, must say here he has point, we are living in sea sirens nightmare in my opinion shared on the boat speakers, now go copy odiseus while trying to hold the deck ...

https://www.youtu.be/gjswOKtUPoY
#15196568
wat0n wrote:There's a mix of forces going on here. It remains to be seen if the disruption in supply chains is the only explanation for this higher inflation or if there's something else - if inflation persists into 2022 the Fed will almost surely move to suppress it and push it back to target.


Which instruments can the FED use???

I think the FED has no more ammunition!


The inflation is a "natural" result when you print more money:
Image
#15196569
Sandzak wrote:Which instruments can the FED use???

I think the FED has no more ammunition!


The inflation is a "natural" result when you print more money:
Image


Undo quantitative easing, hike interest rates. It can tighten policy if it wants, but if inflation is just temporary it probably won't.

What the Fed cares about is whether expected inflation in the medium or long run (say, 2 years from now) stays close to its 2% target. If it does, it will chill about this. If it starts going up, the Fed can and will tighten policy.
#15196584
wat0n wrote:Bet you do. "Well regulated militia", did you read that part?

Just read the first first two amendments. The first amendment gives no individual right free speech. It merely says that the federal government can't restrict free speech. The States are left free to restrict free speech. As Virginian did with abolitionist literature. The second amendment is structured completely differently. Neither the States nor the Federal government have the right to infringe upon the people right to bear arms. The term "people" is used in contradistinction to the federal Congress and the States' governments. If the founders had merely wanted to give the State's rights to organise their own part time militaries they would have said so.
#15196585
Rich wrote: The States are left free to restrict free speech


LOL whut? :lol:

"The first amendment is ok to ignore, but the second is not because.... " :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


The constitution is the supreme law of the land. Only that which is not stated in the constitution or it's amendments is delegated to the states. Since the issue of free speech is in fact addressed in the constitution, it is not something states are "free to do what they want" on. The constitution is in fact "supreme law of the land". That means, states cannot ignore the first amendment.

That said, you're not American right? I certainly hope not given what you just said.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, your armchair interpretation of the constitution is trash. We have lots of dumb ass MAGA morons that fancy themselves as constitutional lawyers/historians/etc.

fucking moron, the whole lot of them.
#15196586
Rich wrote:Just read the first first two amendments. The first amendment gives no individual right free speech. It merely says that the federal government can't restrict free speech. The States are left free to restrict free speech. As Virginian did with abolitionist literature. The second amendment is structured completely differently. Neither the States nor the Federal government have the right to infringe upon the people right to bear arms. The term "people" is used in contradistinction to the federal Congress and the States' governments. If the founders had merely wanted to give the State's rights to organise their own part time militaries they would have said so.

@Rich,
You are wrong.
You need to check the facts.
Yes, the 1st Amendment talks about only "Congress".
However, one of the post Civil War Amendments has been extended by the USSC to also apply all 10 Amendments to the states also.
It is settled law.
.
#15196589
Igor Antunov wrote:
Being a foreigner I can still read. And clearly many amendments have been ratified into federal law including the 2nd and thus federal law prohibits banning of gun ownership and private militias in any of the constituent states. Yet they still ban them, something is funky.



You can find it in your bathroom mirror.

https://www.amazon.com/Second-Amendment-Biography-Michael-Waldman/dp/1476747458/ref=sr_1_2?crid=20K87MD3NN0N0&dchild=1&keywords=the+second+amendment+a+biography&qid=1635777276&qsid=131-4556309-4521855&sprefix=the+second+amend%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-2&sres=1476747458%2CB093QG4MBR%2CB08H5S6K5C%2C1938895223%2C1642935670%2C1648017878%2C1479819913%2C1501116495%2C1250073731%2CB005BTM08A%2C1952491134%2C1440870586%2C1643137026%2C1534502904%2CB084M23FRL%2C0830831703&srpt=ABIS_BOOK

I let them color coordinate their handcuffs. Can[…]

"Whether we like it or not"

@Godstud, Today I found this that supports my cla[…]

Did You Get Vaccinated?

Yeah, this is accurate. Your posts clearly indic[…]

This sounds like scam. It sounds like what it w[…]