Wanchese Day - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By Fasces
Similar to Moehanga Day in New Zealand, the American government should recognize Columbus Day but also add Wanchese Day in late September - a holiday commemorating the Discover of Great Britain by the Great Chief Wanchese. Doing so would be an acceptable compromise to both recognize the founding of the modern era in the Americas while also recognizing the absurdity of "discovering" a land full of inhabitants, and be the first holiday specifically commemorating an American Indian of note. Also, a federal holiday in late September would be nice.
By Godstud
I just discovered Thailand 10 years ago. Where's my statue???

:lol:
By MistyTiger
More federal holidays are nice if you want to work less. But if you dislike more closed bank days, then more federal holidays is bad.

And @Godstud If you had a statue, would you spend time polishing it and wiping off pigeon poop? It sounds like a lot of trouble.
By Godstud
@MistyTiger I'd be wise enough to incorporate an umbrella. :D

I'd make every Monday into a holiday.
By Deutschmania
Fasces wrote:Similar to Moehanga Day in New Zealand, the American government should recognize Columbus Day but also add Wanchese Day in late September - a holiday commemorating the Discover of Great Britain by the Great Chief Wanchese. Doing so would be an acceptable compromise to both recognize the founding of the modern era in the Americas while also recognizing the absurdity of "discovering" a land full of inhabitants, and be the first holiday specifically commemorating an American Indian of note. Also, a federal holiday in late September would be nice.

I agree with the idea of a Wanchese Day , especially after reading the whole story surrounding his history .
Wingina was looking for new allies with unique montoac (power), and the English seemed like good candidates. Their ships were useless, but the cannons and guns were a form of montoac that could defeat the Pomeioocs. When Barlowe decided to leave, Wingina sent two of his allies back to England with him, men named Wanchese (of Roanoke) and Manteo (of Croatoan). Neither men were “chiefs,” as the story has been told; instead, Manteo’s mother was the principal leader of Croatoan, and Wanchese was a warrior from Roanoke. Wingina counted both men, and their villages, as kin. Their assignment was to cross over into English culture and bring back as much intelligence as possible about these strangers who might become useful allies.5

The two men stayed at Sir Walter Raleigh’s mansion in London, learning English and teaching Algonquian to a scientist named Thomas Hariot. In six months they had learned enough to interpret both languages. They created an orthography of their Algonquian language and translated it into English, a document that became the foundation of a written form of an American Indian language. The bottom of this document bore a phrase written in the signs of Algonquian: “King Manteo did this.” Undoubtedly Manteo and Wanchese saw savagery in English culture: filth, disease, and noise; men who hoarded wealth; women whose husbands completely controlled them. One woman defied that cultural norm in England: Queen Elizabeth. Manteo would have seen his own mother treated with the same deference that Raleigh gave Elizabeth.6

Manteo and Wanchese returned home in 1585, accompanied by a force of 600 Englishmen — half of them soldiers — and their weapons. This time, Raleigh was not just exploring; he was creating an “outpost of empire.” He intended to establish and fortify a site in Virginia to prevent the Spanish from gaining any ground there. He thought he had secured Wingina’s friendship and Manteo’s and Wanchese’s loyalty. He did not think to ask their permission.7

After they landed, the commander of the 1585 expedition, Ralph Lane, began to believe that Wingina was going to betray the English’s weak colony to Indians farther west. Lane’s men ambushed and destroyed Manteo’s village of Croatoan, killing Wingina and impaling his head on a stake. Then, in the midst of a hurricane (probably something that he had never experienced), Lane fled the Carolina coast with the pirate Sir Francis Drake, who picked him up after pillaging Spanish settlements in Florida.

Drake had captured several hundred Africans and Indians in his raids, and it is possible he left them on the Outer Banks when he picked up Lane’s men. One scholar calls these people the “first and almost entirely forgotten ‘Lost Colony.’”8 A few weeks later, another small group of soldiers landed as reinforcements; they did not get the message that Lane had fled in despair. Wanchese destroyed that group in short order, not only exercising political vengeance but enhancing his own montoac; he showed his allies and his enemies that he was more powerful than Wingina and could do what Wingina would not. https://ncseagrant.ncsu.edu/coastwatch/previous-issues/2019-2/spring-2019/wingina-wanchese-and-manteo-a-lumbee-perspective-on-the-lost-colony/
By Rich
The overwhelming majority of the United State's human DNA is of European / Asian /African. Only a minority is of pre Erikson American origin. Some people might think it natural to celebrate the America's discovery by the old world. in Britain racists, which includes the British government argue that citizens born of foreigners should be considered 2nd class citizens. They say their citzenship is provisional on them maintaining good behaviour as judged by the government. No due process is needed to take away their British citizenship and make them stateless. I find it interesting that there are extreme racists who think that even after living in America for up to 400 years, people should still be considered 2nd class citizens.
By Steve_American
People, this is just political correctness.
IMO, there is only correctness, anything that is not correct is false.
Therefore, political correctness is falseness in some sense.
Or, it is just being nice to dumb people. As in don't call them dumb to their face.

So, Columbus did 'discover' the new world for Europe. And, the 1st natives he saw 'discovered' Columbus on their beach.
My friend 'discovered' that he loved Thai food.
A native American was lecturing me about how Columbus didn't 'discover' 'America'.
She got a phone call from a friend out of state. She took a few min. to talk to her friend.
During the call she said, "I discovered the cutest French restaurant only 1/2 mile from my home."
I was certain the restaurant's owner knew his restaurant was there.
I didn't point out that she had proved me right, that is 'discover' doesn't always imply that nobody else knew what you discovered. It can, as in "Madam Curie discovered X-rays." But, this is not always part of the meaning.

Therefore, there is a common English usage of 'discover' That every adult American has used many times, that is the same as "Columbus discovered America".

This is just true. It is actually correct. If you don't like it, tough cookies.

OTOH,
Was Columbus are terrible man by our morals? Yes, he was. Very terrible. Should he have the honors we give him? I'm on the fence on this.
However, so was the "King" of the Aztecs. For us, eating people makes you a terrible man.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

A new film has been released destroying the offici[…]

You are a supporter of the genocide against the P[…]

Before he was elected he had a charity that he wo[…]

Candace Owens

... Too bad it's not as powerful as it once was. […]