Key Rasmussen Polls - Page 72 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By anna
Drlee wrote:I do too. About 30 minutes here. (Arizona.) And you are quite right. I do not see anything like what is being reported. In fact, the border is pretty quiet and illegal crossings way down compared to before.

California here. Same as it ever was.

The question of the century. We cannot live without their work. Ironically Ronald Reagan knew this and granted amnesty. An amnesty, I would posit, that has worked very well.

They are not doing better. Sadly. They have the opportunity to have a real amnesty and I guess you could make the case for saying that the 10 year amnesty they are proposing is better than nothing.

The great irony is that many of the immigrants are coming from Central American countries we disrupted.

We need another amnesty, and a resident worker program. You'll never see white Americans out doing the jobs immigrants are doing. It would come as a huge, paradigm-altering shock to this country if every immigrant walked off the job for two weeks.

On this, voting rights, health care and the environment I believe that the democrats will come to see their great failing as not squashing the filibuster and pressing ahead with these.

Yep. They're afraid to lose the almighty moderate vote, so they wishy-washy around.

There is. Mine included. But the problem is that there are a great many Republicans and fellow travelers who believe that the family separation was the fault of the people who put the children in harms way in the first place.

Oh, they're out there, I've argued elsewhere on that very point, MAGA types saying it's the parent's fault for bringing children with them to seek asylum. MAGA types have zero empathy. It's simply not there. They believe in the survival of the fittest and see themselves as the fittest.

You and I know that this is wrong at so many levels that it beggars belief but we are not in a huge majority with our position. If indeed we are in the majority at all.

If it ever comes to civil war in my lifetime, I know what side I'm on. And when push comes to shove and everyone in the disconnected middle has to take a side, I think there will be more on our side.

"The Lincoln Project". True heroes. A masterful campaign and one that I am sure single-handedly cost Trump a second term. It was very very close. He very well could have won. Should have won. But I have to ask myself. Did he really lose? He is still calling the shots. Maybe more now than when he was president. I am so disappointed in the Democrats and I know I am not alone. At this point I believe that the mid terms are going to be an ugly thing. I think Trump will emerge stronger than before. I shudder to think what a second Trump presidency will look like with control of the House and Senate. Can you imagine?

Re: TLP: I think so too. There were Dem purists who didn't trust TLP but I saw them as allies willing to fight at a level many Dems seem unable to, although there's a danger in becoming what one despises in the enemy because one has to fight at their level to win.

If we don't want another Trump (I don't think he'll run, but he'll tease it out as long as possible to pull in money) or Trump clone or MAGA-driven congress, it's imperative that Democrats come out to vote in greater numbers than we've ever seen before.
By Drlee
@anna Re: TLP: I think so too. There were Dem purists who didn't trust TLP but I saw them as allies willing to fight at a level many Dems seem unable to, although there's a danger in becoming what one despises in the enemy because one has to fight at their level to win.

At the risk of waxing philosophical...

When I was in my early 20's I decided to join the Army. I very quickly became aware of the extreme violence to which I may be called upon to practice on other human beings. I had to ask myself if I was the one who could do violence on strangers in self defense at best and in the service of a political idea at worst. I concluded that I could do that and it still concerns me.

I say this to say, that the Democrats need to find the "rough men who can do violence on their behalf". I am not talking about physical violence. I am talking about political violence along the lines of the TLP.

That said though, TLP never resorted to lies as far as I know. So like the righteous soldier it is possible to do violence without compromising one's values.

My old Republican party has lost its soul. I can't think of a single "righteous" republican these days. It is very sad. Our country benefited from "the loyal opposition". An example.

We are venturing into places on the internet that are dark and dangerous. We have come to see all advances in information technology as acceptable. We have ceded far to much power to these purveyors of "information". William F. Buckley, a conservative icon, was widely quoted as saying, "a conservative is someone who stands athwart history and shouts, STOP." What he actually said was,

“A conservative is someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop, at a time when no one is inclined to do so, or to have much patience with those who so urge it.”

Those conservatives are dead but we still need them to put on the brakes... Not to simply try to cut a deal with the devil.

I am with you in the hope that Democrats come out to vote. I am sad to say that I am very concerned about this actually happening.
By Doug64
Here's this weekend's round-up of polls. Anyone that wants to check out any possible links over the next week can go to the link to the left. (Anyone wanting more details on a particular poll, just ask):

Twenty-nine percent (29%) of Likely U.S. Voters think the country is heading in the right direction, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey for the week ending November 23, 2021. This week’s finding is down one point from a week ago. Sixty-six percent (66%) of voters believe the nation is headed down the wrong track, up one point from a week ago. A year ago at this time, 32% said the United States was heading in the right direction, while 58% said it was on the wrong track.

The Rasmussen Reports Immigration Index for the week of November 21-23, 2021, decreased to 86.2 down nearly two points from 88.0 two weeks earlier. The Immigration Index has been under the baseline in every survey since Election Day last year, and reached a record low of 82.3 in late March. The index is now about 19 points below where it was in late October 2020, indicating voters are looking for tighter immigration control from President Joe Biden’s administration.

Fifty-one percent (51%) of Likely U.S. voters oppose the $2 trillion “Build Back Better” bill, including 40% who Strongly Oppose it. Forty-two percent (42%) support the bill, including 27% who Strongly Support it. The House of Representatives passed the “Build Back Better” bill by a narrow 220-213 margin on November 19, but the legislation faces significant opposition in the Senate. Nearly half (48%) of voters believe that if Congress passes the legislation, it will be bad for the economy. Thirty-five percent (35%) think “Build Back Better” would be good for the economy, and nine percent (9%) believe it would not make much difference. While 69% of Democratic voters support the “Build Back Better” bill – including 50% who Strongly Support it – the legislation is opposed by 76% of Republicans and 54% of voters not affiliated with either major party. Sixty-five percent (65%) of Republicans and 41% of unaffiliated voters Strongly Oppose the bill.

Twenty-six percent (26%) of Likely U.S. voters believe Biden has done enough to stop the rising price of gasoline, home heating oil and other petroleum products. Sixty-two percent (62%) say Biden has not done enough to stop rising petroleum prices, while another 12% are not sure. Eighty-three percent (83%) of voters say the rising price of gasoline, home heating oil and other petroleum products is a serious problem, including 59% who say it’s a Very Serious problem. Only 14% don’t think rising fuel prices are a serious problem. Announcing last week that he would release 50 million barrels of oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, Biden said that “in the long run, we will reduce our dependence on oil as we switch to clean energy.” However, most voters don’t expect such a shift anytime soon. Only 24% think the switch to clean energy will happen within five years, while another 21% think it will happen within 10 years. Thirty-two percent (32%) believe it will take more than 10 years to switch to clean energy, and 17% think it will never happen.

Fifty-three percent (53%) of Likely U.S. voters don’t trust large pharmaceutical companies, including 19% who don’t trust them At All. Only six percent (6%) say they trust major drug makers A Lot, while 36% of voters Somewhat trust them. Seventy percent (70%) of voters believe large pharmaceutical companies have too much influence over government health policy, while just eight percent (8%) think major drug makers don’t have enough policy influence, and 13% say the amount of influence is about right. Seventy-five percent (75%) think large pharmaceutical companies are more interested in profits, while just 14% think the companies are more interested in making their customers' lives better. Another 11% are not sure.

The president earned a monthly job approval of 42% in November, unchanged from October. Fifty-six percent (57%) disapproved of his job performance in November, up one point from October. Donald Trump’s monthly approval ran from a high of 51% in February 2017, his first full month in the White House, to a low of 42% in August 2017. In December 2020, his final full month in office, Trump earned a monthly job approval of 47%. Fifty-one percent (51%) disapproved.

Sixty-one percent (61%) of American Adults are concerned about another surge in COVID-19 infections this winter, including 29% who are Very Concerned. Thirty-six percent (36%) aren’t concerned about another pandemic surge, including 15% who are Not At All Concerned. The Omicron variant of COVID-19 was detected last month in South Africa, and the first U.S. case was announced this week, causing new warnings about the continued dangers of the virus. Sixty-three percent (63%) of Americans believe it is likely that holiday season events will contribute to the spread of COVID-19 during December, including 32% who think it’s Very Likely. Thirty-two percent (32%) don’t think it’s likely holiday events will spread the virus, including 12% who say it’s Not At All Likely. Only 27% say concern about COVID-19 will affect their plans for the holiday season, while 62% say it won’t affect their plans. Another 11% are not sure if the disease will affect their holiday plans.

Fifty-four percent (54%) of Likely U.S. voters are concerned about the potential of harmful side effects of the COVID-19 vaccine, including 27% who are Very Concerned. Forty-four percent (44%) aren’t concerned about vaccine side effects, including 19% who are Not At All Concerned. Despite such concerns, 65% of voters say they’re confident in the safety and effectiveness of the COVID-19 vaccine, including 36% who are Very Confident. Only 32% are not confident in the vaccine’s safety and effectiveness. A federal appeals court last month blocked President Joe Biden’s order requiring businesses with 100 or more employees to ensure their staffs are vaccinated against COVID-19 or are tested weekly and wear masks. Fifty-seven percent (57%) of voters don’t believe the federal government should have the power to make vaccination mandatory, while 35% think the government should be able to mandate vaccination.

Thirty-two percent (32%) of American Adults would travel into space on a commercial flight, if they could afford it. That’s just slightly higher than the 28% who were interested in space tourism in 2018. Fifty-seven percent (57%) wouldn’t take a commercial space flight, while another 11% are not sure. Sir Richard Branson’s Virgin Galactic made headlines last week by awarding two free space flights to a woman and her daughter. Some 700 people have reportedly bought $450,000 tickets to space on Virgin Galactic. Only seven percent (7%) of Americans think it’s Very Likely they will take a commercial space flight some time in their life, while another 15% believe it’s Somewhat Likely they’ll take a commercial space flight. Twenty-six percent (26%) say it’s Not Very Likely they’ll actually fly to space in their lifetime, and 47% think it’s Not At All Likely.

And for Biden's job approval numbers over the past week, his Total Approval numbers have actually improved, and so have finally caught up with Trump:

• Strongly Approve: 22% (+1)
    • Strongly Disapprove: 48% (-1)
    • Total Approve: 43% (+2)
    • Total Disapprove: 56% (-2)

Over the past month:

• Strongly Approve: 21%
    • Strongly Disapprove: 48%
    • Total Approve: 42%
    • Total Disapprove: 57%

And since he took office:

• Strongly Approve: 29%
    • Strongly Disapprove: 42%
    • Total Approve: 47%
    • Total Disapprove: 51%

For Trump, this week:

• Strongly Approve: 27%
    • Strongly Disapprove: 47% (+1)
    • Total Approve: 42% (-1)
    • Total Disapprove: 56%

The past month:

• Strongly Approve: 28%
    • Strongly Disapprove: 47%
    • Total Approve: 43%
    • Total Disapprove: 55%

• Strongly Disapprove: 44%
    • Total Approve: 46%
    • Total Disapprove: 54%

And for Obama this week:

• Strongly Disapprove: 40% (-1)
    • Total Disapprove: 53%

Over the past month:

• Strongly Approve: 28% (-1)
    • Strongly Disapprove: 40%
    • Total Approve: 48% (+1)
    • Total Disapprove: 52%

And since his election:

• Strongly Approve: 33%
    • Strongly Disapprove: 33%
    • Total Approve: 53%
    • Total Disapprove: 46%
By Drlee
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

—William Pitt

Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country.

JFK

Mark 12:31 ESV /

The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”
Leviticus 19:18 ESV /

You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.
Matthew 7:12 ESV /

“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.
Luke 6:27 ESV /

“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”
Romans 13:8-10 ESV /

Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
Matthew 19:19 ESV /

Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
James 2:8 ESV /

If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well.
John 15:12 ESV /

“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.
Romans 15:2 ESV /

Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, to build him up.
Romans 13:9 ESV /

And behold, a lawyer stood up to put him to the test, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” He said to him, “What is written in the Law? How do you read it?” And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” And he said to him, “You have answered correctly; do this, and you will live.” But he, desiring to justify himself, said to Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?” ...
Galatians 5:14 ESV /

For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
1 John 4:16 ESV /

So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.
Matthew 22:39 ESV /

And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother.
Luke 10:27 ESV /

And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.”
Romans 13:10 ESV /

Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
John 3:16 ESV /

Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God.

This is my own immigration index. Sadly Jesus, Mary and Joseph were asylum seekers at one time. Wouldn't it be nice if fundamentalists (Christian Light) would teach that?
By Doug64
@Drlee, leaving aside that your JFK quote doesn’t rebut my Pitt quote (there is a fundamental difference between “ask” and “demand”) and that Joseph and Mary fleeing to Egypt with Jesus no more made them asylum seekers in the modern sense of the term than those fleeing California for Texas or New York for Florida (many for much the same reason, if not as personally immediate), do you disagree with the majority of US Likely Voters that believe that we need to control our borders?
By Doug64
Here's this weekend's round-up of polls. Anyone that wants to check out any possible links over the next week can go to the link to the left. (Anyone wanting more details on a particular poll, just ask):

Thirty-one percent (31%) of Likely U.S. Voters think the country is heading in the right direction, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey for the week ending December 2, 2021. This week’s finding is up two points from a week ago. Sixty-two percent (62%) of voters believe the nation is headed down the wrong track, down four points from a week ago. A year ago at this time, 31% said the United States was heading in the right direction, while 60% said it was on the wrong track.

Seventy-two percent (72%) of American Adults have at least one credit card, including 30% who have three or more. Those findings are down from November 2017, when 82% said they had at least one credit card and 39% had three or more. Only 33% say they personally need to cut back on how much they use credit cards, while 62% say they don't. Four years ago, 25% said they needed to cut back on credit card use. Sixty-eight percent (68%) believe most Americans need to cut back on how much they use credit cards, down from 74% in December 2018. Just eight percent (8%) now think most Americans don't need to cut back on credit card use, while 24% are not sure.

Thirty-nine percent (39%) of Likely U.S. voters have a favorable impression of Harris, including 19% who have a Very Favorable opinion of the vice president. That’s slightly down since August, when 41% had a favorable impression of Harris. Fifty-seven percent (57%) of voters now view the vice president unfavorably, including 50% who have a Very Unfavorable impression of her. Only 40% of voters think Harris is qualified to assume the duties of the presidency, including 23% who view her as Very Qualified. Fifty-five percent (55%) don’t think the vice president is qualified for the top job, including 46% who say Harris is Not At All Qualified for the duties of the presidency. Nearly half (49%) of voters believe it is at least somewhat likely Biden will leave office and be replaced by Harris before the 2024 election, including 25% who think it’s Very Likely. That’s slightly down from the 51% in August who thought Biden wouldn’t complete his first term as president. Thirty-six percent (36%) of voters now don’t think it’s likely Biden will be replaced by Harris before the 2024 election, including 14% who say it’s Not At All Likely. Another 15% are not sure.

Sixty-three percent (63%) of American Adults have started their holiday shopping. That’s slightly higher than this time a year ago. Sixteen percent (16%) have already finished their holiday shopping, down slightly from 18% in early December last year. This holiday season, 22% of Americans plan to spend more on gifts than they did last year, while 41% intend to spend less. That’s just slightly changed from a year ago. Thirty-two percent (32%) expect their level of spending this year to be about the same as last year.

Forty-three percent (43%) of Likely U.S. voters approve of how Biden is handling the COVID-19 pandemic, including 27% who Strongly Approve. Fifty-five percent (55%) disapprove of Biden’s handling of the pandemic, including 44% who Strongly Disapprove. Those findings represent a sharp downturn in opinions about Biden’s effort against COVID-19. As recently as July, 56% of voters approved of how Biden was handling the pandemic. During his 2020 campaign, Biden repeatedly promised to “shut down the virus,” but only 30% of voters now believe he has kept that promise. Fifty-six percent (56%) say Biden broke his promise, while another 15% are not sure. Thirty-nine percent (39%) of voters say Biden’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic is better than former President Donald Trump’s, but 49% think Biden’s handling of the pandemic is worse than Trump’s, and 10% rate the two about the same.

Ten percent (10%) of Likely U.S. voters rate Biden’s handling of issues related to China as excellent, and another 21% give him a good rating. Fifteen percent (15%) give Biden a fair rating for his handling of China and 47% give him a poor rating on China-related issues. The Biden administration announced Monday it “will not send any diplomatic or official representation” to next year’s Winter Olympics in China to protest what it called Beijing’s “ongoing genocide and crimes against humanity.“ Sixty-six percent (66%) of voters support the so-called “diplomatic boycott,” including 37% who Strongly Support the administration’s decision. Twenty percent (20%) oppose the decision and another 14% are not sure. Forty-two percent (42%) of voters think China is an enemy of the United States while just eight percent (8%) believe China is a U.S. ally, and another 43% say the relationship is somewhere in between. The number who view China as an enemy has declined from 50% in February.

Seventy-one percent (71%) of American Adults plan to decorate their homes for the holiday season, while 18% will not and another 11% are not sure. The number who plan to decorate for the holidays is down from a high of 78% in 2018, but the same as 2013. Seventy-two percent (72%) will have a Christmas tree at their home this year, again down from 78% in 2018, while 20% will not.

Seventy-five percent (75%) of Likely U.S. voters believe that requiring photo ID to vote is a reasonable measure to protect the integrity of elections, while 19% disagree. Those findings are virtually unchanged since June. Concerns about election integrity remain high, with 83% of voters saying it is Very Important to prevent cheating in elections, up from 79% in June. More than a year after the 2020 election, 34% of voters still do not believe Biden won the presidential election fairly. Fifty-three percent (53%) now say Biden did win the election fairly, while another 13% of voters are not sure. Doubts about the 2020 election outcome have faded somewhat since June, when 41% of voters did not believe Biden won fairly. However, 61% of Republican voters still think Biden didn’t win the presidential election fairly, an opinion shared by 13% of Democrats and 29% of voters not affiliated with either major party.

Economic confidence rose to 98.9 in this month’s Rasmussen Reports Economic Index, two points higher than November. This is the second consecutive monthly gain since October, which was the lowest index since May 2020. Enthusiasm about the economy surged under former President Donald Trump, reaching as high as 147.8 in January 2020 before tumbling after the coronavirus lockdown threw Americans out of work and closed many businesses. By November 2020, it had recovered to 126.4, but dropped sharply in the three months after President Joe Biden was elected. The index fell to 97.8 in February before beginning a three-month rebound that took the index to 123.7 in May, followed by a five-month streak of declines.

Thirty-two percent (32%) of American Adults rate the economy as good or excellent this month, up three points from last month but 10 points below the 42% mark in November 2020. The number who rate the economy as poor remained at 41%, the same as November. Twenty-three percent (23%) now think the economy is getting better, up five points from last month. Fifty-six percent (56%) expect a worsening economy, unchanged from November. Fourteen percent (14%) now see things staying about the same, down six points from last month. There has been a remarkable reversal since President Biden was elected, as Democrats are now more bullish on the economy than Republicans. Forty-nine percent (49%) of Democrats view the economy as good or excellent, compared to 23% of Republicans and those not affiliated with either major party. GOP confidence has declined 51 points since November 2020, when 74% of Republicans had a positive view of the economy, while Democrats’ confidence has risen 17 points from 32% before Biden’s election. While 68% of Republicans before the election said they expected the economy to improve, only 12% feel that way now. Democrats are now more optimistic, with 41% saying they expect the economy to get better, an increase of 21 points since January. Sixteen percent (16%) of those unaffiliated with either major party now are optimistic that the economy will get better, seven points lower than before last year’s election.

And for Biden's job approval numbers over the past week, his Strong Approval improved while his Total Approval number dropped, and once again worse than Trump:

• Strongly Approve: 24% (+2)
    • Strongly Disapprove: 47% (-1)

Over the past month:

• Strongly Approve: 22% (+1)

• Strongly Disapprove: 43% (+1)

For Trump, this week:

• Strongly Approve: 29% (+2)
    • Strongly Disapprove: 46% (-1)
    • Total Approve: 43% (+1)

The past month:

• Strongly Disapprove: 46% (-1)
    • Total Approve: 43%
    • Total Disapprove: 55%

And for Obama this week:

• Strongly Disapprove: 39% (-1)
    • Total Disapprove: 52% (-1)

Over the past month:

• Total Approve: 47% (-1)
    • Total Disapprove: 52%

And since his election:

• Strongly Disapprove: 33%
By Doug64

Thirty-one percent (31%) of Likely U.S. Voters think the country is heading in the right direction, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey for the week ending December 9, 2021. This week’s finding is remains the same as a week ago. Sixty-four percent (64%) of voters believe the nation is headed down the wrong track, up two points from a week ago. A year ago at this time, 28% said the United States was heading in the right direction, while 62% said it was on the wrong track.

The Rasmussen Reports Immigration Index for the week of December 5-9, 2021, increased to 87.8 up nearly two points from 86.2 two weeks earlier. The Immigration Index has been under the baseline in every survey since Election Day last year, and reached a record low of 82.3 in late March. The index is now nearly 18 points below where it was in late October 2020, indicating voters are looking for tighter immigration control from President Joe Biden’s administration.

Twenty-eight percent (28%) of Likely New Hampshire Voters approve of a provision in the Build Back Better bill that would offer 10 years of work permits and legal status to approximately 8 million illegal immigrants. Another 14% would only support the proposed 10-year amnesty if it includes provisions to stop future illegal immigration. Twenty-eight percent (28%) say no amnesty should be considered until the border is under control, while 26% oppose amnesty for illegal immigrants under any condition. The House of Representatives last month passed the $2-trillion spending bill, which Democrats hope to enact through a “reconciliation” procedure to overcome a Senate filibuster. Only 35% of New Hampshire voters generally support the Build Back Better bill, while 50% oppose it. Another 14% are not sure. By nearly a 2-to-1 margin (54% to 28%) New Hampshire voters said they would be inclined to vote against a member of Congress who supported the amnesty provision in the Build Back Better bill. Voter opposition could put pressure on New Hampshire Democratic Sen. Maggie Hassan, who is expected to face a tough reelection battle next year. “Having won election to the Senate in 2016 by only 1,017 votes, Sen. Hassan is already considered one of the most vulnerable Senators in the 2022 elections,” said Roy Beck, President of the NumbersUSA Education & Research Foundation, which sponsored the poll. “She will not make herself more popular by backing an amnesty that does nothing to control the current chaos at the border or to reduce illegal migration in the future.”

Twenty-three percent (23%) of Likely Maine Voters approve of a provision in the Build Back Better bill that would offer 10 years of work permits and legal status to approximately 8 million illegal immigrants. Another 20% would only support the proposed 10-year amnesty if it includes provisions to stop future illegal immigration. Twenty-four percent (24%) say no amnesty should be considered until the border is under control, while 28% oppose amnesty for illegal immigrants under any condition. The House of Representatives last month passed the $2-trillion spending bill, which Democrats hope to enact through a “reconciliation” procedure to overcome a Senate filibuster. Maine voters are about evenly divided over the Build Back Better legislation in general – 42% in favor and 44% against it – but 56% say they would be more inclined to vote against a member of Congress who supported the amnesty provision in the bill. Just 23% say support for amnesty would make them more likely to vote for a member of Congress, while 16% say it would not make much difference. While 43% of Democratic voters in Maine support the Build Back Better provision that would offer 10 years of work permits and legal status to approximately 8 million illegal immigrants, just nine percent (9%) of Republicans and 19% of voters not affiliated with either major party support the amnesty. That could put pressure on Maine Sen. Angus King, who identifies as an independent. “The results of this survey suggest that, if Senator King is to honor his promise to Maine voters to operate as a true Independent, he will take note that the amnesty in the Build Back Better bill is overwhelmingly opposed among Maine voters in general and particularly by those who say they are neither Republican nor Democrat,” said Roy Beck, president and founder of the NumbersUSA Education & Research Foundation, which sponsored the poll. “The Democratic Party is twisting the arms of its Senators to support something that voters in most of their states oppose. But Senator King who is not a member of that party should be able to keep his arms to himself and be unimpeded in listening to the wishes of his constituents.”

Eighty-nine percent (89%) of Likely U.S. voters are concerned about the problem of violent crime in America, including 64% who say they’re Very Concerned. That’s a significant increase from July, when 79% were concerned, including 49% who were Very Concerned, about the violent crime problem. Sixty-eight percent (68%) of voters now say the problem of violent crime in America is getting worse. Only eight percent (8%) think the crime problem is getting better, while 22% believe violent crime is staying about the same. Asked who they trust more to deal with the problem of violent crime, 49% of voters say Republicans, compared to 27% who trust Democrats more. Twenty-one percent (21%) of voters think the two parties are about the same in dealing with violent crime.

Sixty-two percent (62%) of American Adults believe Christmas is over-commercialized, while 26% say it’s not and another 12% are not sure. That’s down from four years ago, when 72% felt the holiday was too commercialized. Forty-seven percent (47%) say stores start the Christmas season too soon, while 35% disagree and 18% are not sure. In 2017, 62% believed stores started the season too soon.

The 2022 midterm elections are now 327 days away, and Republicans maintain a strong lead in their bid to recapture control of Congress. The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that, if the elections for Congress were held today, 48% of Likely U.S. Voters would vote for the Republican candidate, while 39% would vote for the Democrat. Just four percent (4%) would vote for some other candidate, but another nine percent (9%) are not sure. Democrats have narrowed the gap in the generic congressional ballot since November, when the GOP led by an unprecedented 13-point margin. In January 2018, before voters handed Democrats their first House majority in eight years, Democrats held an eight-point advantage (45% to 37%) in the generic ballot question. That margin narrowed as the November 2018 midterms neared, and was a statistical dead heat – Republicans 46%, Democrats 45% – in the final poll before Democrats won a slim House majority while Republicans gained Senate seats to maintain control of that chamber.

Twenty-one percent (21%) of Likely U.S. voters rate the Senate as doing an excellent or good job, while 47% give the Senate a poor rating. That’s even lower than ratings for the House of Representatives, which 30% of voters rate excellent or good and 45% rate poor. Congress gets low ratings from independent voters, and survey findings indicate passage of the $2 trillion “Build Back Better” bill won’t improve that situation. While 44% of Democratic voters rate the House excellent or good, only 23% of voters not affiliated with either major party share that view, just slightly higher than the 20% of Republicans who rate the House excellent or good. Thirty percent (30%) of Democrats, 16% of Republicans and 15% of unaffiliated voters say the Senate is doing an excellent or good job. President Joe Biden on Thursday emphasized his determination to “get Build Back Better passed, even in the face of Republican opposition," but unaffiliated voters oppose the bill by a 14-point margin, 48% to 34%. Sixty-two percent (62%) of Democratic voters support the Build Back Better legislation, while 69% of Republicans are against it.

Fifty percent (50%) of American Adults think America would be a better place if most people attended religious services on a regular basis. Just nine percent (9%) say regular religious attendance would make America worse off, while 32% feel it would have no impact. These findings have changed very little in surveying since 2015 when Rasmussen Reports first asked this question. Similarly little changed in regular surveying for over 10 years are the 76% who believe Christmas should be celebrated in the public schools. Only 14% disagree, while another 10% are not sure. Sixty-nine percent (69%) of Americans also think religious symbols like Christmas Nativity scenes, Hanukkah menorahs and Muslim crescents should be allowed on public land. Sixteen percent (16%) oppose such displays, but nearly as many (15%) are undecided. These findings, too, have held steady in surveying since 2008.

And for Biden's job approval numbers over the past week, he's once again worse than or tied with Trump:

• Strongly Approve: 21% (-3)
    • Strongly Disapprove: 47%
    • Total Approve: 41% (-1)
    • Total Disapprove: 57% (+1)

Over the past month:

• Strongly Approve: 22%

• Strongly Disapprove: 43%

For Trump, this week:

• Strongly Disapprove: 46%
    • Total Approve: 41% (-2)
    • Total Disapprove: 57% (+1)

The past month:

• Total Disapprove: 56% (+1)

• Total Approve: 45% (-1)

And for Obama this week:

• Strongly Approve: 26% (-1)
    • Strongly Disapprove: 41% (+2)
    • Total Approve: 46% (-1)
    • Total Disapprove: 53% (+1)

Over the past month:

• Strongly Approve: 27% (-1)

And since his election:

• Strongly Disapprove: 34% (+1)
By Doug64
Late but not my fault this time, just my Christmas holiday. I hope everyone had as safe and Merry a Christmas as I did. (The new World of Warcraft version of Pandemic was a very pleasant surprise, both that I received it and how much fun it was.) Here's this weekend's round-up of polls. Anyone that wants to check out any possible links over the next week can go to the link to the left. (Anyone wanting more details on a particular poll, just ask):

Twenty-seven percent (27%) of Likely U.S. Voters think the country is heading in the right direction, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey for the week ending December 22, 2021. This week’s finding is down three points from a week ago. Sixty-seven percent (67%) of voters believe the nation is headed down the wrong track, up three points from a week ago. A year ago at this time, 29% said the United States was heading in the right direction, while 62% said it was on the wrong track.

Fifty-eight percent (58%) of American Adults are at least somewhat concerned about new variants of the COVID-19 virus, such as Delta and Omicron, including 28% who are Very Concerned. Thirty-nine percent (39%) are not concerned about COVID-19 variants, including 16% who are Not At All Concerned. Surveys have shown partisan divisions in opinions about the coronavirus ever since the pandemic emerged in early 2020. Far more Democrats (77%) than Republicans (45%) are now concerned about new COVID-19 variants. Those totals include 42% of Democrats who say they’re Very Concerned about new variants of the virus, compared to just 18% of Republicans. Among those unaffiliated with either major party, 50% are concerned about new COVID-19 variants, including 22% who are Very Concerned. Those who have previously been infected with COVID-19 acquire natural immunity, providing “robust protection against COVID-19 for at least six to eight months after infection,” according to the World Health Organization. The same is true of vaccines. However, most Democrats (61%) believe vaccines are more effective than natural immunity in protecting against COVID-19, while just 17% think natural immunity offers more protection, and only 13% correctly believe vaccines and natural immunity are equally effective. Among Republicans, 43% think natural immunity is more effective in protecting against COVID-19, and just 25% believe getting vaccinated offers more protection, while 24% correctly say vaccines and natural immunity are equally effective. Among those unaffiliated with either major party, 33% think vaccines are more effective, 31% believe natural immunity is more effective, and 26% correctly answer that vaccines and natural immunity are equally effective in protecting against COVID-19.

Thirty-one percent (31%) of Likely U.S. voters say Biden is the politician who most represents their political views, while 44% say Trump best represents them. Another 11% say New York Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez best represents them, while eight percent (8%) said GOP Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell most represents their political views. While 73% of Republican voters say Trump represents their views, only 58% of Democrats feel Biden represents them. Nearly a fifth (19%) of Democratic voters say Ocasio-Cortez most represents their political views. Among voters not affiliated with either major party, 47% say Trump represents their views, 22% say Biden and 11% say AOC. Republican voters show more dissatisfaction with their party’s current leaders. Forty-four percent (44%) of GOP voters say the party’s voters are becoming more conservative than their party’s leadership. Thirty-nine percent (39%) of Democrats say their party’s voters are becoming more liberal than their party’s liberals. Thirty-eight percent (38%) of Democrats say their party’s voters have about the same attitude as party leaders, while 32% of Republican voters say the same of their party.

As of last Tuesday, 48% of American Adults hadn’t finished their holiday gift shopping, while the same number said they were all done with their gift list. Seventy-six percent (76%) had at least started their holiday gift shopping, but 21% had not. The number of last-minute holiday shoppers this year is higher than previous Christmas seasons. Younger Americans were most likely to be last-minute shoppers, with 60% of those under 40 saying they hadn’t finished their holiday gift shopping yet, whereas only 43% of those ages 40-64 and 33% of those 65 and older still had shopping left to do.

Fifty-nine percent (59%) of Likely U.S. voters believe the congressional investigation of the riot at the Capitol by supporters of former President Donald Trump is important, including 43% who say it is Very Important. Thirty-nine percent (39%) don’t think the investigation is important, including 21% who say it is Not At All Important. Despite this majority support for the investigation, 58% of voters agree – including 44% who Strongly Agree – with a statement by former Trump aide Max Miller that the committee appointed by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to investigate the riot is a “partisan committee that has weaponized its powers against innocent Americans.” Thirty-four percent (34%) of voters disagree with Miller’s criticism of the committee, including 25% who Strongly Disagree. Seventy-two percent (72%) of Republican voters agree that House investigation is being run by a “partisan committee,” including 61% who Strongly Agree. Among voters not affiliated with either major party, 60% agree with the quote from Miller, including 42% who Strongly Disagree. While 50% of Democratic voters disagree that the January 6 investigation is being run by a “partisan committee,” 43% of Democrats agree, including 30% who Strongly Agree.

Seventy percent (70%) of Likely U.S. voters believe it was a bad thing for American democracy for Zuckerberg to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to influence the outcome of the 2020 presidential election. Only eight percent (8%) think Zuckerberg’s election spending was good for democracy, while 17% say it didn’t make much difference. Fifty-nine percent (59%) of voters think it’s likely that cheating affected the outcome of last year’s presidential election, including 40% who believe it is Very Likely the election was affected by cheating. Thirty-six percent (36%) don’t think it’s like cheating affected the election, including 21% who say it’s Not At All Likely that the outcome was affected by cheating. In October, 56% thought cheating affected the election. Republican Rep. Claudia Tenney of New York this week called attention to a report showing that a “group funded in part by Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg dumped money in eight swing states in 2020, virtually all to counties that picked President Joe Biden over former President Donald Trump.” Sixty-two percent (62%) of voters say they have closely followed new stories about Zuckerberg's efforts to influence U.S. elections, including 29% who have followed the news Very Closely. Thirty-six percent (36%) haven’t closely followed news about the Facebook founder’s election spending.

Forty-five percent (45%) of American Adults consider the holiday season stressful. Forty-four percent (44%) consider it a joyful season. That’s a lot less joy than in 2015, when 59% found the holiday season joyous. Forty-seven percent (47%) say they’re having difficulty getting into the holiday spirit this year – a significant increase from 41% in 2013 – while 46% say they have no difficulty getting into the holiday spirit. Ninety percent (90%) of Americans say they celebrate Christmas in their family, up from 85% a year ago. Only eight percent (8%) say they don’t celebrate Christmas.

Forty-four percent (44%) of American Adults planned to attend a religious service this holiday season. That’s up from 39% last year, when the COVID-19 pandemic suppressed attendance, but not as high as the 49% who planned to attend religious services in 2019, before the pandemic. Forty-three percent (43%) weren't planning to attend holiday religious services this year, and 13% say they were not sure. Fifty-nine percent (59%) consider Christmas to be one of our nation's most important holidays, up from 55% last year. Just seven percent (7%) consider Christmas one of the least important holidays, while 28% place Christmas somewhere in between. These findings are consistent with surveys for years. The Fourth of July ranks second as the holiday most important to Americans, followed by Memorial Day and Thanksgiving.

And for Biden's job approval numbers over the past week, same song different verse:

• Strongly Approve: 22% (+2)

Over the past month:

For Trump, this week:

• Strongly Approve: 29% (+1)
    • Strongly Disapprove: 45% (-1)
    • Total Approve: 43% (+2)
    • Total Disapprove: 55% (-2)

The past month:

• Total Approve: 45%

And for Obama this week:

• Strongly Approve: 26%
    • Strongly Disapprove: 43% (+2)
    • Total Approve: 45% (-1)
    • Total Disapprove: 54% (+1)

Over the past month:

• Strongly Disapprove: 41% (+1)
    • Total Approve: 46% (-1)

And since his election:

• Strongly Disapprove: 34%
By Doug64
Happy New Year!!! (Please, God, let it be better than the last one....) Here's this weekend's round-up of polls. Anyone that wants to check out any possible links over the next week can go to the link to the left. (Anyone wanting more details on a particular poll, just ask):

Twenty-seven percent (27%) of Likely U.S. Voters think the country is heading in the right direction, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey for the week ending December 22, 2021. This week’s finding is down three points from a week ago. Sixty-seven percent (67%) of voters believe the nation is headed down the wrong track, up three points from a week ago. A year ago at this time, 29% said the United States was heading in the right direction, while 62% said it was on the wrong track.

The Rasmussen Reports Immigration Index for the week of December 19-23, 2021, increased to 90.2 up more than two points from 87.8 two weeks earlier. The Immigration Index has been under the baseline in every survey since Election Day last year, and reached a record low of 82.3 in late March. The index is now about 15 points below where it was in late October 2020, indicating voters are looking for tighter immigration control from President Joe Biden’s administration.

Seventy-five percent (75%) of American Adults agree with J.K. Rowling that there are only two genders, male and female. That total includes 63% who Strongly Agree. Eighteen percent (18%) disagree. Critics have labeled Rowling a “purveyor of hate speech” for saying that there are two biologically distinct genders. However, only 17% of Americans believe this is “hate speech,” while 58% support Rowling and 25% are not sure. By more than a 3-to-1 margin, Americans oppose a key educational policy of the transgender movement. Sixty-eight percent (68%) believe schools and teachers should not be allowed to counsel students on their sexual and gender identities without parental knowledge or consent. Only 19% believe schools should be allowed to engage in such counseling without parental consent.

Thirty-one percent (31%) of Likely U.S. voters rate Biden excellent or good for his handling of crime and law enforcement issues. That’s down from 34% in July. Fifty-one percent (51%) give Biden a poor rating for his handling of crime, up from 48% in July. Voters rate Biden even worse on immigration, with just 27% rating him excellent or good for his handling of immigration-related issues, while 54% give him a poor rating. That continues the president’s declining approval from September, when 52% of voters rated him poor on immigration. On both crime and immigration, even Democratic voters now rate Biden less favorably than they did before. On crime and law enforcement issues, for example, 57% of Democrats rate Biden excellent or good, down from 62% in July, while on immigration, the share of Democrats rating the president handling as excellent or good declined to 50% from 52% in September. Majorities of both Republicans (78%) and voters not affiliated with either major party (60%) give Biden a poor rating for his handling of issues related to immigration. Similarly, 77% of Republicans and 56% of unaffiliated voters rate Biden poor for his handling of crime and law enforcement issues.

Seventy-nine percent (79%) of Likely U.S. voters are concerned that Russia may launch a military invasion of Ukraine, including 39% who are Very Concerned. Fifteen percent (15%) are not concerned about a Russian invasion of Ukraine. Fifty-four percent (54%) of voters believe that, in his dealings with Russia, Biden is less aggressive than most recent presidents in pushing what’s best for America. Only 25% think Biden is more aggressive toward Russia, while 12% say his stance toward Russia is about the same as most recent presidents. For weeks, reports of more than 100,000 Russian troops massed on the border with Ukraine have made headlines. Seventy-seven percent (77%) of voters say they have closely followed recent news stories about Russia, including 37% who have followed the news Very Closely. Among those who have Very Closely followed news about Russia, 54% are Very Concerned that Russia may launch a military invasion of Ukraine.

Forty-eight percent (48%) of American Adults say they are worse off economically than they were a year ago. Only 20% are now better off economically than last year, while 28% say their finances are about the same as a year ago. Looking ahead, just 33% expect that their finances will be better a year from now, slightly below the 34% who expect their finances to be worse, while 30% expect their personal financial situation will be about the same. Financial optimism is far lower now than five years ago. In December 2016, a month after Donald Trump was elected president, 41% expected their finances to be better in a year. With President Joe Biden in the White House, Democrats now feel significantly better about their economic situation than do other Americans. Thirty-two percent (32%) of Democrats say they are better off economically than they were a year ago, compared to just 11% of Republicans and 17% of those unaffiliated with either major party. Majorities of both Republicans (61%) and the unaffiliated (51%) say they are worse off than a year ago, as do 35% of Democrats. Likewise, many more Democrats (44%) than Republicans (19%) or the unaffiliated (32%) expect that their finances will be better a year from now. Fifty-one percent (51%) of Republicans think their finances will be worse in a year, as do 20% of Democrats and 33% of the unaffiliated.

Forty-four percent (44%) of American Adults say they will make any New Year’s resolutions . Forty-three percent will not make New Year’s resolutions, while another 13% aren’t sure. The number who plan to make New Year’s resolutions is higher than in December 2017, when just 39% expected to make resolutions for the year ahead. Of those who plan to make New Year’s resolutions, 91% think it’s at least somewhat likely they’ll keep their resolutions, including 46% who believe it’s Very Likely. Slightly more women (46%) than men (42%) say they plan to make New Year’s resolutions, but more men (54%) than women (39%) believe it’s Very Likely they’ll keep their resolutions.

Two percent (2%) of American Adults rate 2021 one of the best years ever. Another five percent (5%) think it was an excellent year and 16% rate 2021 a good year. These numbers are dwarfed by the 48% of Americans who give 2021 a poor rating. If there’s any bright spot in the public’s grim assessment of 2021, at least it was better than 2020, which Americans rated the worst year in more than a decade of surveying. Looking ahead, 41% of Americans expect next year to be at least a good year, including 12% who expect 2022 to be excellent and 6% who think it will be one of the best years ever. Twenty-nine percent (29%) believe 2022 will be a poor year.

Seventy-four percent (74%) planned to ring in the new year at home. Another nine percent (9%) planned to be at a friend’s place when 2022 arrived, while just five percent (5%) expected to celebrate New Year’s Eve at a bar or restaurant. Those findings are consistent with recent surveys, with an all-time high of 76% planning to spend New Year’s Eve at home in December 2015. The traditional midnight kiss is on the list for 51% of Americans, slightly down from other recent years.

And for Biden's job approval numbers over the past week, same song different verse:

• Strongly Disapprove: 48% (+1)
    • Total Approve: 41% (-1)

Over the past month:

For Trump, this week:

• Strongly Disapprove: 44% (-1)
    • Total Approve: 45% (+2)
    • Total Disapprove: 53% (-2)

The past month:

• Strongly Approve: 29% (+1)
    • Total Approve: 43% (+1)
    • Total Disapprove: 55% (-1)

• Total Approve: 45%

And for Obama this week:

• Strongly Approve: 26%
    • Strongly Disapprove: 41% (-2)
    • Total Approve: 47% (+2)
    • Total Disapprove: 53% (-1)

Over the past month:

• Strongly Approve: 26% (-1)
    • Strongly Disapprove: 41%
    • Total Disapprove: 53%

And since his election:

• Strongly Disapprove: 34%
By Godstud
As usual you have no clue what you're looking at, and only view it in your simplistically foolish and biased way. Biden's STILL more popular than Trump ever was.

Trump lost, incidentally, so bringing him up all the time only makes you look dumber(if that's possible).
By Doug64
@Godstud, keep on ignoring reality, and help hand Congress to the Republicans this year and maybe the presidency back to Trump in 2024.
By Godstud
:lol: The only person ignoring reality is your ilk, who value money over human lives. :knife:
By Drlee
My favorite part is the so-called "immigration index". Just another Republican talking point from their propaganda machine, Rasmussen.

Trump lost. Badly. The American people rejected him.
By Doug64
Drlee wrote:My favorite part is the so-called "immigration index". Just another Republican talking point from their propaganda machine, Rasmussen.

The Immigration Index is the combined result of (I think) ten questions asked every couple weeks. If you want to see under the hood, I can always post all the questions it’s based on … again.
Trump lost. Badly. The American people rejected him.

Untrue, but irrelevant to the polls I posted. Biden’s collapsed poll numbers, OTOH, are relevant, and with them being this bad Republicans actually have a decent chance of taking back the Senate as well as the House—the latter is bad enough, losing the former as well would be an absolute nightmare for the Democrats. Of course, if the Democrats do lose both houses of Congress, perhaps Biden can slip his leash and actually govern like the Moderate he campaigned as.

Oh, and that “Republican propaganda machine”? Up to a “B” grade on FiveThirtyEight’s list of ranked pollsters.

@Pants-of-dog, yes, getting answers the Left doesn’t like to questions they’d rather people didn’t ask (like, “just what do you think of the president’s job performance?”) is so divisive. :roll:
Doug64 wrote:
@Pants-of-dog, yes, getting answers the Left doesn’t like to questions they’d rather people didn’t ask (like, “just what do you think of the president’s job performance?”) is so divisive. :roll:

@Doug64

Accusing the centre right (which is who I assume you are referring to when you say “the left”) of being sensitive is not an intelligent rebuttal to the fact that Rasmussen is being divisive.

You should, instead, focus on my actual argument and look at Rasmussen’s behaviour.

For example, the anti-immigrant jargon definitely divides immigrant US residents from the xenophobic US residents feeling vindicated by this “Immigration Index”.
By Drlee
Of course, if the Democrats do lose both houses of Congress, perhaps Biden can slip his leash and actually govern like the Moderate he campaigned as.

I don't disagree. I would, though, point out that he is already pretty moderate. You do not see even the hint of a far left agenda so far. I will admit that the so-called stimulus package is pretty filled with goodies that have absolutely nothing to do with infrastructure. And, not to belabor a point, it would be highly inflationary.
By Doug64
Godstud wrote::lol: The only person ignoring reality is your ilk, who value money over human lives. :knife:

I was just going to ignore this as another example of your typical ad hominen attacks when you can't actually come up with a rebuttal, I realized there's something you can't seem to understand with your (and others') "money over human lives" rants. "Money" is being able to put food in the table, clothes on the backs, and a roof over the heads of those depending on you. It's transportation for acquiring much of that and earning more. It's the self respect that comes with being able to supply all of that. "Money" is vital. Without "money," our entire civilization collapses. And it's the constant increase in the cost of all of that with no end in sight, that is going to help sink the Democrats this year and may well help sink them again in 2024.

@Drlee, I would call any attempt to lay the foundations for turning the US into a European-style centralized welfare state is Far Left, not to mention deeply unpopular when the price tag is totaled up (however much people might like individual bits and pieces of it).

@Pants-of-dog, when you can show that the US is governed from Brussels instead of Washington, you can describe our Far Left as "Center Right" if you choose. Until then, it is what it is.

As for the Immigration Index, the only thing "divisive" about it is how it demonstrates how much the majority disagrees with the Left on the issue. What it does do is show what would be a reasonable immigration reform package acceptable to a majority of Likely Voters--strengthen the border and crack down on overstays, require e-verify, give lifetime work permits to the Dreamers but not any of the other illegal migrants in the country, decrease the number of immigrants by about a quarter, eliminate chain migration. Unfortunately for the Democrats, it is not acceptable to their White, college-educated Elites that run their party and give them the edge needed to win many of their elections. Here's the details on the latest polls:

On the question of illegal immigration, is the government doing too much or too little to reduce illegal border crossings and visitor overstays? Or is the level of action about right?

• Too much 16%
  • Too little 57%
  • About right 20%
  • Not sure 7%

In trying to control illegal immigration, should the government mandate that all employers use the federal electronic E-Verify system to help ensure that they hire only legal workers for U.S. jobs?

• Yes 66%
  • No 19%
  • Not sure 14%

Do you strongly favor, somewhat favor, somewhat oppose or strongly oppose giving lifetime work permits to most of the approximately two million illegal residents who came to this country when they were minors?

• Strongly favor 29%
  • Somewhat favor 23%
  • Somewhat oppose 16%
  • Strongly oppose 25%
  • Not sure 7%

Do you strongly favor, somewhat favor, somewhat oppose or strongly oppose giving lifetime work permits to most of the estimated 12 million illegal residents of all ages who currently reside in the United States?

• Strongly favor 20%
  • Somewhat favor 21%
  • Somewhat oppose 17%
  • Strongly oppose 36%
  • Not sure 6%

Now, I'm going to ask you about authorized legal immigration: Recent federal policies have added about one million new permanent immigrants to the United States each year. Which is closest to the number of new immigrants the government should be adding each year -- fewer than 500,000, 750,000, one million, one and a half million, or more than one and a half million?

• Fewer than 500,000 39%
  • 750,000 17%
  • One million 17%
  • One an a half million 7%
  • More than one and a half million 7%
  • Not sure 13%

Do you favor legal immigrants being allowed to bring with them only a spouse and minor children, or do you favor them also eventually bringing in other adult relatives in a process that can include extended family and their spouses' families?

• You favor legal immigrants being allowed to bring with them only a spouse and minor children 64%
  • You favor also eventually bringing in other adult relatives that can include extended family and their spouses' families 27%
  • Not sure 10%

When businesses say they are having trouble finding Americans to take jobs in construction, manufacturing, hospitality and other service work, what is generally best for the country? Is it better for businesses to raise the pay and try harder to recruit non-working Americans even if it causes prices to rise, or is it better for the government to bring in new foreign workers to help keep business costs and prices down?

• Better for businesses to raise the pay and try harder to recruit non-working Americans even if it causes prices to rise 59%
  • Better for the government to bring in new foreign workers to help keep business costs and prices down 21%
  • Not sure 20%

Should Congress increase the number of foreign workers taking higher-skill U.S. jobs or does the country already have enough talented people to train and recruit for most of those jobs?

• Increase the number of foreign workers taking higher-skill U.S. jobs 29%
  • The country already has enough talented people to train and recruit for most of those jobs 58%
  • Not sure 13%

The Census Bureau projects that current immigration policies are responsible for most U.S. population growth and will add 75 million people over the next 40 years. In terms of the effect on the overall quality of life in the United States, do you favor continuing this level of immigration-driven population growth, slowing down immigration-driven population growth or having no immigration-driven population growth at all?

• Continue immigration driven population growth at the current levels 30%
  • Slow down immigration driven population growth 42%
  • Have no immigration driven population growth at all 19%
  • Not sure 9%

Should immigration-driven population growth be reduced to limit the expansion of cities into U.S. wildlife habitats and farmland?

• Yes 46%
  • No 28%
  • Not sure 27%
By Drlee
@Doug64

I will give some creedence you your "money" rant when you can get your right wing friends to be vaccinated, wear masks and stop with the unsafe meetings. If you were doing those minor things I would be standing up and shouting for everything to reopen. But as long as the (and every educated person must admit) fools are not doing these little things to protect themselves and their own families I am not going to listen to any bullshit about work and self respect. We do not need to shut down because of people who are vaccinated... It is really as simple as that. Your enemy is not the scientific community that is calling for this stuff. It is the dumb shit crackers that think vaccination, mask wearing and social distancing has something to do with their rights.

@Drlee, I would call any attempt to lay the foundations for turning the US into a European-style centralized welfare state is Far Left, not to mention deeply unpopular when the price tag is totaled up (however much people might like individual bits and pieces of it).

Give me a break. We have a terrible medical system. Absolutely bad. Full stop. Then add to that the inescapable fact that the reason it is bad is that so many people who do not deliver medical care are feeding off of it and you have a disgrace. Every sane country in the world has universal health care of some sort and at a FAR lower cost than we do. This is not "far left". The EU countries that have it are generally freer that we are. Much better civil rights protections. They do not have a major party that is arming for a civil war over fewer rights than they have now.

It is about time Doug that you woke up to the fact that the right movement in the US is an attempt by Russia and China to destroy US democracy. And people like you are playing right into their hands. They have been highly successful in curbing civil rights in the US and destroying our economy. Dupe.

@Pants-of-dog, when you can show that the US is governed from Brussels instead of Washington, you can describe our Far Left as "Center Right" if you choose. Until then, it is what it is.

The US has no "far left" of any appreciable size. Biden is center right at best. 40 years ago he would have been far right.
Doug64 wrote:@Pants-of-dog, when you can show that the US is governed from Brussels instead of Washington, you can describe our Far Left as "Center Right" if you choose. Until then, it is what it is.

No, thanks.

I will continue to use English properly and not adopt your weird and incorrect way of describing things simply because they are popular among US conservatives.

Your “left” does not even support public health care, a centrist policy.

As for the Immigration Index, the only thing "divisive" about it is how it demonstrates how much the majority disagrees with the Left on the issue.

Exactly, it tells US conservatives that their xenophobia is popular and hence vindicated. This is a clear appeal to popularity that only reinforces jingoistic hate for immigrnats.

[quote]
What it does do is show what would be a reasonable immigration reform package acceptable to a majority of Likely Voters--strengthen the border and crack down on overstays, require e-verify, give lifetime work permits to the Dreamers but not any of the other illegal migrants in the country, decrease the number of immigrants by about a quarter, eliminate chain migration. Unfortunately for the Democrats, it is not acceptable to their White, college-educated Elites that run their party and give them the edge needed to win many of their elections. Here's the details on the latest polls:

Your weird blame game is irrelevant, but it does provide a clear example of the exact divisiveness I am discussing, since you are now indulging in that very divisiveness.

“It’s popular, so it is fine for me to hate the Democrats and immigrants because of this”.

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]