Is Boris Johnson on the ropes? - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in Europe's nation states, the E.U. & Russia.

Moderator: PoFo Europe Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum, so please post in English only.
Potemkin wrote:Every nation believes itself to be exceptional, @Beren. But the UK is the only nation which is correct in this belief. :)

British exceptionalism is definitely real, Brexit and Peppa Pig are clear proof of that, they'll make Britain great again. Did Peppa Pig campaign for Brexit, by the way, or did Farage prevent him from doing so out of jealousy?

Last edited by Beren on 27 Nov 2021 23:40, edited 1 time in total.
wat0n wrote:Is this the way in which the UK is exceptional?

:)

Indeed. We are exceptionally exceptional. :)
JohnRawls wrote:Greece can be convinced with exception I think. Cyprus on the other hand, can't be solved easily since there will always be an argument that Turkey is not trully democratic if it doesn't release Cyprus.

Turkey intervened to the island. It was for saving Turkish minority from being massacred by Greek/ Cypriot junta of that time. The Treaty of Guarantee says that Turkey is a guarantor state alongside The United Kingdom and Greece.
It is a legacy issue that will impede your admission but I am not really sure why you need northern Cyprus in the first place. It was always a political card for local consumption and if Turkey moves to liberal democracy then who the hell cares.

Cyprus is the watchtower of mediterranean sea. We control sea routes with our involvement in Cyprus. We also claims gas fields located around there.

Turkey will not give up Cyprus. It doesn't matter who is in rule. There is a political consensus on this.
Istanbuller wrote:Turkey intervened to the island. It was for saving Turkish minority from being massacred by Greek/ Cypriot junta of that time. The Treaty of Guarantee says that Turkey is a guarantor state alongside The United Kingdom and Greece.

Cyprus is the watchtower of mediterranean sea. We control sea routes with our involvement in Cyprus. We also claims gas fields located around there.

Turkey will not give up Cyprus. It doesn't matter who is in rule. There is a political consensus on this.

Perhaps you can't imagine it right now. It is to be determined. "Controlling the med" is a non-issue if you don't have "imperial" ambitions and this is not really something that democracies do. As for the mining rights and so on then it is more complicated but once again, liberal democracy can solve it in a peaceful manner. Cyprus will be happy to give you co-development rights to resolve its own existential issues.
@JohnRawls

I am very pro-democracy and check and balances on power. However, just because a government is a democracy doesn't mean it is not capable of violence or imperialism so to speak nor does it guarantee they are always able to solve problems peacefully.
tomskunk wrote:@JohnRawls

I am very pro-democracy and check and balances on power. However, just because a government is a democracy doesn't mean it is not capable of violence or imperialism so to speak nor does it guarantee they are always able to solve problems peacefully.

Which two democratic countries have had a military conflict recently compared to autocracies?
@JohnRawls

I haven't seen democracies wage war against each other, to my knowledge or recollection. However, they have fought wars against other different types of governments. Communist governments or in the case of Nazi Germany, fascist governments. Plus, it would seem, some European democracies have partaken in colonization in regards to different parts of the globe. For example, France in Vietnam or Belgium in Congo. It wasn't exactly peaceful.

As far as autocracies, though the U.S. is a democratic form of government, it has probably partaken in more wars and fighting here recently than an authoritarian government like Putin's Russia for example. Putin's Russia is not the "good guy" so to speak, but Putin has probably picked his battles more wisely than the West at times.

He has managed to accomplish his objectives when he has used force though I do not agree with his government or why he has used force. But you can't argue that he succeeded in keeping a dictator in power like Assad when he sent his forces into Syria and he was successful in punishing Ukraine for merely wanting to be independent and not a colony of Russia. He chose his battles wisely in Ukraine because he knew it was unlikely the U.S. would come to Ukraine's defense given it was not a member of NATO at the time (or today).
Rather than start yet another thread on BoJo and his hypocrisy, I'll just dump this here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59491568

This guy really should resign. If you cannot even follow your own guidance then you are simply not fit for public office, let alone being PM. The same was said for Hancocks who to be fair to him did quit eventually. I wasn't a supporter of lockdowns and by and large think all the Covid BS is just that. But if you are the guy who makes the call, then you have to be 100% squeaky clean and clearly Number Ten was beyond their own advice. Time to get number 11 running things I reckon. Sunak seems like a sensible bloke who at least if anything is a teetotaler so no midnight benders for him.
B0ycey wrote:Sunak seems like a sensible bloke

Richi Rish, whose personal fortune, if you count his wife's dosh, is said to be upwards of £630 million, seems less than sensible after he bought into that Britannia Unchained bollocks.

"Among those inspired by ideas contained within the book is Rishi Sunak ..."

:roll:

p.s. Why mention his wife's dosh? Well, the fact he transferred shares worth £200 million to her before becoming an MP. That looks well dodgy to me.

What was he trying to hide?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59572149

Well things are frankly getting embarrassing for BoJo right now. You have to be a right dumb shit to believe a Downing Street party didn't take place during lockdown - or that it adhered to the rules. They even joke amongst themselves on camera. Well its Wednesday tomorrow. More questions not answered in PM questions I expect. But it won't be easy for BoJo. And his clown act isn't convincing anyone right now. If he had sense he should move on. Hancocks did so, and now its BoJos turn.

Let Great Britain be Great again. BoJo out. Sunak in.
He’s definitely trying to move on, but he’s not being allowed. Why someone doesn’t just stand up tell him to stop deflecting and answer the bloody questions is annoying me.

The only one playing politics is him and there’s no moving on from what happened last year until it’s sorted out. Tell him that, someone. Anyone. And stop allowing him to piffle on about vaccinations.

I don’t think he’s going to be able to bluster his way through this.

I’m not certain, because nothing surprises me about this cretinous government, but I live in hope
Rugoz wrote:Image

"Mr Johnson, I am arresting you for impersonating a human being. You are not required to say anything, but anything you do say may be taken down and used in evidence against you."
Potemkin wrote:"Mr Johnson, I am arresting you for impersonating a human being. You are not required to say anything, but anything you do say may be taken down and used in evidence against you."

Does the UK have an equivalent of Miranda right's in the US? Also, does the UK have the concept of the right to remain silent?... or can they beat a confession out of you?
Rancid wrote:Does the UK have an equivalent of Miranda right's in the US? Also, does the UK have the concept of the right to remain silent?... or can they beat a confession out of you?

Basically, I just quoted what a typical British police officer will say to a suspect as they are arresting them. So yes, we do have an equivalent of Miranda's rights, and I just quoted it.

In theory you have the right to remain silent, but in practice they can just beat a confession out of you, which is the case pretty much anywhere in the world. Lol.
Potemkin wrote:Basically, I just quoted what a typical British police officer will say to a suspect as they are arresting them. So yes, we do have an equivalent of Miranda's rights, and I just quoted it.

In theory you have the right to remain silent, but in practice they can just beat a confession out of you, which is the case pretty much anywhere in the world. Lol.

TELL IT TO THE JUDGE!
Remember Thatcher who won 3 elections and left a legacy, which allowed a fourth consecutive victory, polling figures were mostly poor to appalling. I'm no Thatcher fanboi, her defence of Grenada's national sovereignty and opposition to Reagan's invasion was an absolute disgrace just for starters. All I'm saying is that parties would be well advised not to panic at every run of poor polling figures, by-election and local election results. If Blair had remained as leader he may well have gained another victory in 2009/10.

If they are going to get rid of Johnson, they should wait until the terrain of the next general election becomes clearer. Once you've replaced a Prime minister, its impossible to un-replace him and near impossible to replace the replacement with a third.
Rugoz wrote:Image

Looks to me as if the MET are questioning the PM for breaking the Covid rules last year. :lol:

His luck is over. I think the video last night has put the final nail in the coffin for Johnson. Maybe not today, but this story isn't over and the leader of the Scottish Tories (and former) are saying if he is caught lying he has to go and their voice has weight against it. I would also expect that oponion is the same thing being said amongst the back benchers. Because make no mistake here, there was a party and the rhetoric now is not of denial but lack of information on the subject. As if Johnson doesn't know what is happening in his house of residence. Problem is, not that he was lying in this PM questions (I expect he still was), but he lied in the last PM questions by saying this party was within the rules. No party could be. So that alone is against the Ministerial Code. But he will hang in for as long as possible, which to be fair to Hancocks even he didn't do.

As for the enquiry on what happened, well it seems the Chair of the Tory Party who will lead the investigation may have been in attendance. Which means the investigator may well be investigating the perpetrator. You cannot make that kind of shit up. But I guess we will have to have someone as a scape goat. The question is, what will that goat say once they are set free?

...Or maybe because there are many witnesses sayin[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

If the tunnels were built by Hamas openly, then th[…]

Sounds like perfect organized crime material ex[…]

Commercial foreclosures increase 97% from last ye[…]