Why Free Markets, Contracts, and Private Property Are a Joke - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

XDU wrote:
What did Bernie say?

Not a Sanders supporter....

Following the final primary election (the District of Columbia's, on June 14), Clinton became the presumptive Democratic nominee. Sanders did then endorse Clinton, and said he would work with her to defeat the presumptive Republican nominee, Donald Trump.[22] On June 16, Sanders gave a live online speech to his supporters, saying, "The political revolution continues".[23] On July 12, Sanders officially endorsed Clinton at a unity rally with her in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Sa ... l_campaign
XDU wrote:
OK well... all I'm saying is the law needs to be constantly kept on its toes from language constantly changing. We need to constantly improve what we mean instead of letting legal professionals weasel their way out of responsibilities by claiming that the law isn't what we think it means.

I think you're basically describing *power* there -- 'who gets to interpret the law [over cases]'. Welcome to politics. (grin)
XDU wrote:
I really don't agree with that. Libertarianism has had an effect on America over the past couple decades where people insist on live or let live paradigms. They don't believe in mandatory attendance in institutions. They're pretty comfortable with smoking weed and gay marriage. They believe the law is something people should be paid to uphold instead of doing it for the sake of duty.

Americans are very pragmatic people who don't uphold much if any tolerance for metaphysical considerations. They love to get caught up in the moment, and love to hurt one another when nobody's watching and saying that if you have no evidence, then you have to let whoever hurt you get away with it. If you don't, then people will accuse you of things you didn't actually do and you're expected to endure insult on top of injury.

I would say that Americans are very cruel people, but not reactionary. There's an obsession with superficial charity where Americans love to give too, but they don't do it because they care. They do it because they want to give the impression that they care. There's a lot of virtue signaling, but not much virtue.

Libertarianism is a fantasy, nothing more.

The people that live in that fantasy world are a tiny minority. The people that pass reforms are activists.

They aren't trying to privatise the sidewalks...

You're not wrong about everything, but you lack some of the information you need to have an informed opinion.
late wrote:Libertarianism is a fantasy, nothing more.

The people that live in that fantasy world are a tiny minority. The people that pass reforms are activists.

They aren't trying to privatise the sidewalks...

You're not wrong about everything, but you lack some of the information you need to have an informed opinion.

No... I think most of America lives in a fantasy world which is it's problem. I'm not approving of libertarianism here just fyi.
late wrote:
I "address" capitalism all the time, we've had multiple discussions about that versus your whatever that is.

Not why I am responding. I hate carbon schemes, while they can work for a while, they will always fail, and they are typically designed to fail.

Carbon Tax, Carbon Tax, Carbon Tax...

Did I mention that the first real step is a Carbon Tax?

Because I wanted to be sure I mentioned how we need a Carbon Tax...

ckaihatsu wrote:
Oh, yeah, speaking of that, how's the 'Green New Deal' doing, or the tax on the wealthy / corporations -- ?

And when's Trump going to see the inside of a cell -- ?

late wrote:
Whataboutism...

Gonna take a *pass* on all that, huh -- ?

Just blame the *other* party in a 2-party system, huh -- ?

How are you / the Democrats going to conceivably implement any kind of 'carbon tax' when -- this:

Democrats abandon plans to tax corporations and the wealthy

Patrick Martin
27 October 2021

Despite the gargantuan figures thrown around in the media—$3.5 trillion, $2 trillion, $1.5 trillion—the most significant figure appears to be zero, as in zero new taxes on the wealthy and the giant corporations. And given the insistence by a large number of right-wing Democrats, including President Joe Biden himself, that all spending in the bill must be “paid for,” zero tax increases on the wealthy will mean zero increased benefits for anyone else.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2021/1 ... 1-o28.html
late wrote:
We'll need a Progressive era.

Or panic, I'd bet on panic at the moment.

*Or* -- what do you think of the following:

"that the climate crisis is the result of neoliberal capitalism, and a global system of extraction, dispossession and oppression".[105]

"...our current economic system is (not) compatible with continued life on this planet. It is unrealistic and irresponsible to pretend that a proposed climate solution which keeps capitalism intact is any kind of solution at all", and that failing to articulate an anti-capitalist position undermined the movement's credibility by "lend(ing) tacit support" to large companies responsible for environmentally destructive behaviour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_Rebellion
Unthinking Majority wrote:I understood 0% of the OP. I read it twice. Sorry.

+1

And that goes for the whole thread.

Potemkin wrote:That’s because you don’t have enough humour. Try reading it again while wearing a frizzy orange wig, a red nose, and big floppy shoes. It worked for me! :excited:

Doesnt help, for its not funny either.
late wrote:
Not much.

We would have developed the base technologies, like cars, even if we had been nice guys.

So much for the 'carbon tax', then -- back to the original point.

You obviously don't want to deal with the global environmental situation going-forward, and when you *do* address it, it's to foist *reformist* crap.

XR is correct in that the global *response* required requires the abolition of capitalism, since a 'carbon tax' is insufficient and even insulting.
ckaihatsu wrote:
So much for the 'carbon tax', then -- back to the original point.

You obviously don't want to deal with the global environmental situation going-forward, and when you *do* address it, it's to foist *reformist* crap.

XR is correct in that the global *response* required requires the abolition of capitalism, since a 'carbon tax' is insufficient and even insulting.

If I am ever down at the Antique Ideology Mart, I'll say hi.
ckaihatsu wrote:
Whatever -- now it's your own unique brand of red-baiting instead of dealing with society's issues. Got it.

So is what you're doing red, white and blue baiting?

Since you've pushed, no one wants your fantasy. There are Carbon Taxes out there, there will be more. They are real, and they can work.
late wrote:
So is what you're doing red, white and blue baiting?

I mean all you're doing is *name-calling*, which isn't even politics.

late wrote:
Since you've pushed, no one wants your fantasy. There are Carbon Taxes out there, there will be more. They are real, and they can work.

The Democratic reformist platform has been half-hearted at best, and Trump is still at-large.

XR is correct that capitalism isn't sufficient to enact any kind of climate-change-mitigating, global approach. Your reformist proposals are bankrupt from the get-go. Do you really think that mere *repetition* is convincing-enough?
ckaihatsu wrote:
I mean all you're doing is *name-calling*, which isn't even politics.

The Democratic reformist platform has been half-hearted at best, and Trump is still at-large.

XR is correct that capitalism isn't sufficient to enact any kind of climate-change-mitigating, global approach. Your reformist proposals are bankrupt from the get-go. Do you really think that mere *repetition* is convincing-enough?

We're both doing it, as is reflected by my comment.

Global problems demand global solutions. The idea of global communism will get a reaction, people running for the exit.

@KurtFF8 Litwin wages a psyops war here but we […]

[usermention=41202] @late[/usermention] Are you[…]

[usermention=41202] @late[/usermention] The[…]

I (still) have a dream

Because the child's cattle-like parents "fol[…]