Ten Legal Reasons To Reject Roe v Wade - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

For discussion of moral and ethical issues.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
So the Bishops have an opinion..

So what?

From a legal viewpoint, there can be no definitive analysis. Meaning nothing that will give anyone a slam dunk...

Any decision is going to be arbitrary, unless it also exceeds the limits of what is acceptable in a court of law.

When a foetus is accorded the rights of citizenship is a cultural thing. We used to confer those rights when a child reached adulthood. Ahhh, the 'good old days'. For about a thousand years, the Catholic church said the quickening, which would allow abortion. They stopped when abortion was developed. They wanted cannon fodder for their wars. So much for moral high ground..

This won't end with a decision to kill Roe. In fact, things will get interesting. Religious nuts want to make all contraception illegal, condoms, morning after pill, all of it. They will keep pushing. Killing Roe will piss off most women, the 2 sides will drown the courts in suits, challenges to new laws, and more.

If anyone wants more, find a book by a medical ethicist on abortion. Let me give you a short summary, it's tricky and sticky. What can I tell you, life is inherently messy.
late wrote:
This won't end with a decision to kill Roe. In fact, things will get interesting. Religious nuts want to make all contraception illegal, condoms, morning after pill, all of it. They will keep pushing. Killing Roe will piss off most women, the 2 sides will drown the courts in suits, challenges to new laws, and more.

Doesn't this strike you as *tragic*, though -- that 'the system' is so fucked up as to 'let' all of this complication happen, outside of women's common needs for health care -- ?
ckaihatsu wrote:
Doesn't this strike you as *tragic*, though -- that 'the system' is so fucked up as to 'let' all of this complication happen, outside of women's common needs for health care -- ?

Hell, yes.

Letting a minority of kooks screw up a country is insane.
late wrote:
Hell, yes.

Letting a minority of kooks screw up a country is insane.

Anything to say on why *all* the successive administrations since Roe (1973) have never attempted to pass legislation for *abortion rights*, so as to clearly codify it into law -- ?
ckaihatsu wrote:
Anything to say on why *all* the successive administrations since Roe (1973) have never attempted to pass legislation for *abortion rights*, so as to clearly codify it into law -- ?

Congress has been in decline for 40 or 50 years.

That power vacuum has dragged the courts and the president into situations that would be better if Congress was doing it's job.

Congress should have passed an abortion rights bill. But they let the courts carry that burden. It's one of the reasons it's still controversial. Most countries pass an abortion bill, and then people get used to it.

Republicans subverted the way things are supposed to work to get a supermajority in the Supreme Court. And now we're falling into chaos and violence...

Ring-a-ring-a-rosies
A pocket full of posies
A tissue, a tissue
We all fall down...
snapdragon wrote:Catholic bishops no less. Don’t they have enough kiddies to fiddle with?

Disgusting

The number of public school teachers who have molested children is at least ten times the number of priests who have molested children. - Department of Education

Look it up yourself. Don't be lazy. If I did search my records and find and post the source, you would simply deny it in your usual style.
And how many public school teachers are there compared to the number of priests? Let’s talk percentages.

Also, while we’re at it, how many of those public school teachers were protected from the law by those in authority?
MrWonderful wrote:The number of public school teachers who have molested children is at least ten times the number of priests who have molested children. - Department of Education

Look it up yourself. Don't be lazy. If I did search my records and find and post the source, you would simply deny it in your usual style.

It's not,.
late wrote: When a foetus is accorded the rights of citizenship is a cultural thing.

I agree. When two visiting tourists from Mexico accidently conceive a fetus, that is an American fetus, goddamn it! When they go back to Mexico, they're kidnapping a goddamn red blooded American citizen.

Palestinian armed groups in Gaza do have a histor[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong???[…]

Sure, but they are too stupid to understand, Trum[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

This is the issue. It is not changing. https://y[…]