UK court approves extradition of Julian Assange to US - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

So Priti Patel is going to decide his fate? He’s fucking doomed. Lol.

“Priti Patel is the type of person who would unplug your life support machine to recharge her mobile phone.” - Alexei Sayle
I don;t think this is good thing, I don't think there is reasonable case that someone can be extradited to face US charges for publishing stuff in other countries and never being in the US. As a matter of law it's looks like illogical BS. US law does not extend around the world. The US engaged in regular torture in it;s war on terror but they are protected by flimsy work around like Gitmo, (apparently the law does not apply..) US law donlt run places when it's convenient for the state machine and it goes surprisingly far when it's useful the other way, (this is about republicans/democarts, Labour/Conservative stuff tehre all pretty much on similar pages here)

It;s overreach to silence dissent.

I do not like Assange. I think he's pretty much a A-hole. But we both came out of the same small hacker community here in Oz. Never much cared for his crowd.

But A-holes can be shafted by the government just as much as good guys.
The only thing of relevance are the key things he did, and what the legal consequences are in the jurisdiction he happened to be in at the time he did it and how this could possibly lead to him being arrested and extradited to the US.

He broke no European or swedish law with wikileaks, the rape charges were fake and later dropped. Despite this he has been held in detention for years and is now heading to the US to be held indefinitely - without trial. Most tellingly he has been completely and utterly abandoned by his own country of birth and citizenship-despite being held illegally.

And the preposterous nature of the entire ordeal is being memory holed. Shows you the influence of the oligarchs and the 7 day news cycle on the brains (or lack thereof) of the sheep.
BlutoSays wrote:So he leaked classified info and lots of it IIRC.

Lucky he didn't try that in Russia. They'd drag his ass to the basement of Lubyanka and put a bullet in him if lucky, or throw him into a furnace alive if unlucky.

So? It;s not about if Assaange's action were a good thing. He was not in the US, how does US law apply? Peole in other countries can publish that stuff. That's the law.

It's about law and principles.

People living aorund the world in non-US countries have to follow US law now?

So Bluto is defending the overreach and power of big government now,....
pugsville wrote:So? It;s not about if Assaange's action were a good thing. He was not in the US, how does US law apply? Peole in other countries can publish that stuff. That's the law.

It's about law and principles.

People living aorund the world in non-US countries have to follow US law now?

So Bluto is defending the overreach and power of big government now,....

You sound like a lawyer and can start quoting US Code. Go for it. You can be on his defense team.

Australia is a Five Eyes partner. So is the UK. Can you tell us how that plays into it?
BlutoSays wrote:You sound like a lawyer and can start quoting US Code. Go for it. You can be on his defense team.

Australia is a Five Eyes partner. So is the UK. Can you tell us how that plays into it?

It's quite simple Assuage was not in the US. How does US law apply? Or is it that US applies wherever the US thinks it's applies?

Australia and UK are often lapdogs to US government in cases like this. Political leaders are often not good at matters of principle.

Yup just avoid engaging in argument of substance. Are you here to do more than spam?
BlutoSays wrote:So he leaked classified info and lots of it IIRC.

Lucky he didn't try that in Russia. They'd drag his ass to the basement of Lubyanka and put a bullet in him if lucky, or throw him into a furnace alive if unlucky.

His legal platform in Sweden leaked it legally, breaking no swedish laws, after US journalists submitted the material.
pugsville wrote:How does US law apply?

The UK signed an extradition treaty on 31 March 2003. The main effect of which was to remove the requirement on the US to provide prima facie evidence when requesting the extradition of people from the UK.

So now, after shoving its head further up the US arse, the UK sends the US anyone the US asks them to (Note: it's not reciprocal. The UK still has to satisfy the "probable cause" requirement in the US when seeking the extradition of US nationals).

:lol:
pugsville wrote:It's quite simple Assuage was not in the US. How does US law apply? Or is it that US applies wherever the US thinks it's applies?

Australia and UK are often lapdogs to US government in cases like this. Political leaders are often not good at matters of principle.

Yup just avoid engaging in argument of substance. Are you here to do more than spam?

The crimes Assange is accused of are also crimes in the UK, hence the UK has no choice but to extradite him (legally, it could be stopped politically).
Rugoz wrote:are also crimes in the UK

If that's true, why aren't the Guardian newspaper's editorial board being prosecuted; they published WikiLeaks the same as Assange?

:?:
ingliz wrote:If that's true, why aren't the Guardian newspaper's editorial board being prosecuted; they published WikiLeaks the same as Assange?

Because publishing classified material is not the charge. Actively helping (i.e. assisting in hacking government computers) to get the material is.
Rugoz wrote:assisting in hacking government computers

He didn't assist in the hacking. He just collated the material he was given and published it.

So, I ask you, why hasn't the journalist who wrote the book giving the password to the unredacted encrypted files been prosecuted? He put the lives of informants and CIA operatives in danger, not Assange.

Or the publisher of that book?

ingliz wrote:He didn't assist in the hacking. He just collated the material he was given and published it.

So, I ask you, why hasn't the journalist who wrote the book giving the password to the unredacted encrypted files been prosecuted? He put the lives of informants and CIA operatives in danger, not Assange.

Or the publisher of that book?

If he didn't assist in the hacking, then he should have no problem at trial.
BlutoSays wrote:If he didn't assist in the hacking, then he should have no problem at trial.

If it comes to trial.

I read somewhere, given the tardiness of US justice, and the pre-trial appeals process, he could be locked in total isolation in a brightly lit stainless steel box (tortured, in other words) for up to three years, by which time he wouldn't be fit to face trial.

:lol:

No, Rancid, I think a lot of the people who voted[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

This is the issue. It is not changing. https://y[…]

@annatar1914 do not despair. Again, el amor pu[…]

I think we really have to ask ourselves what t[…]