DeSantis Raises Orange County, Florida's Tax Bill By $163 Million A Year - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
DeSantis seems to think he can cheat the laws of economics and somehow, make it to where none of Florida's taxpayers will be on the hook for $163 million dollars a year extra on their tax bill after dissolving Disney's special self-governing status. Disney certainly isn't going to pay it since they were stripped of that provision in Florida state law by DeSantis. Man, I was really thinking about buying some timeshares one day in Disney so I can vacation on Disney properties. But since this happened, I am holding off. What do you guys think? Was Disney out of line? DeSantis go too far? Or a little bit of both?

Steve Contorno of CNN wrote:After stripping Disney of its special governing powers last month, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis now says that he wants the state to take over the government body that has overseen the entertainment company's Orlando-area theme parks for half a century.

DeSantis, a Republican, told reporters Monday that it is fairer for other businesses if the state controls the Reedy Creek Improvement District, the special district that, since 1967, has essentially allowed the Walt Disney Company to control the land around its properties.

"The path forward is Disney will not control its own government in the state of Florida," DeSantis said. "Disney will have to follow the same laws that every other company has to follow the state of Florida. They will pay their fair share in taxes."

The remarks offered the first glimpse into DeSantis' plan for Reedy Creek after the governor and Republican lawmakers passed a new law last month to dissolve the district in a special session -- a move that critics have said was retaliation for Disney speaking out against a new Florida law that will limit what schools can teach about sexual orientation and gender identity. The fate of Disney, Florida's largest employer, and the district's existing debt remains unclear in the weeks after the contentious vote.

Democrats and local officials have suggested that local governments and taxpayers in the surrounding counties of Osceola and Orange could be on the hook for that debt if Reedy Creek ceases to exist. That opinion is supported by Reedy Creek in a recent statement to its bondholders and an analysis by the state Senate, which concluded in April that local government "assume all indebtedness of the preexisting special district."

But DeSantis promised local and state taxpayers would not have to pay for Reedy Creek's outstanding debt, which officials have said is about $1 billion. He said the government would likely collect more taxes once Disney's special status is eliminated once it's on more equal footing with other theme parks operating in Florida.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/16/politics ... index.html
Last edited by Politics_Observer on 16 May 2022 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
@Rancid

Well, I know I won't be buying timeshares and vacationing on Disney properties given the instability of Florida's government. I can't be sure if I will get the quality vacation spot I would normally get from Disney because of this new law. So, it's also costing Florida additional revenues they would have otherwise gotten in the future.
Politics_Observer wrote:@Rancid

Well, I know I won't be buying timeshares and vacationing on Disney properties given the instability of Florida's government. I can't be sure if I will get the quality vacation spot I would normally get from Disney because of this new law. So, it's also costing Florida additional revenues they would have otherwise gotten in the future.

They'll pull through. Florida is full of fucking morons.
Politics_Observer wrote:@Rancid

Why would you be buying timeshares, vacation clubs and other nonsense? Everyone was unloading that scam for years.

DeSantis did the correct thing; knocking the legs out from wokeists and Disney's special status.

BTW, did you see today's Netflix message to it's employees about dropping the BS woke crap from entertainment?
Disney is of course a evil corporation, and I for despise them and all their works. This arrangement seems questionable coporations having municipal authority , i'd hesitate to call it good.

But DeStantis is seeking to perscute a coporation on political speech grounds, which is also pretty evil,.

Interesting Bluto who always moaing about political power and free speech is silent here.
pugsville wrote:Disney is of course a evil corporation, and I for despise them and all their works. This arrangement seems questionable coporations having municipal authority , i'd hesitate to call it good.

But DeStantis is seeking to perscute a coporation on political speech grounds, which is also pretty evil,.

Interesting Bluto who always moaing about political power and free speech is silent here.

True.

Basically, we shouldn't feel bad for Disney losing special status since it's a shitty company, but the reason it has happened is pretty stupid and hypocritical from a politician that claims that him and like minded people are always being censored.

It's Florida and DeSantis though. Conservatives are too stupid to understand this inconsistency.
Last edited by Rancid on 16 May 2022 23:07, edited 2 times in total.
BlutoSays wrote:Why would you be buying timeshares, vacation clubs and other nonsense? Everyone was unloading that scam for years.

DeSantis did the correct thing; knocking the legs out from wokeists and Disney's special status.

BTW, did you see today's Netflix message to it's employees about dropping the BS woke crap from entertainment?

Hmm So you support the Government punishing corporations for not towing the political correct line they want. That Business opportunity is a function of political correctness?

ANy one spekaing out against Government policy should be punished by the restriction of economic rights?

Given you previous post how is this not total and utter hypocrisy on your part?

Or do you NOT read the script your handlers give you?
pugsville wrote:
Hmm So you support the Government punishing corporations for not towing the political correct line they want. That Business opportunity is a function of political correctness?

ANy one spekaing out against Government policy should be punished by the restriction of economic rights?

Given you previous post how is this not total and utter hypocrisy on your part?

Or do you NOT read the script your handlers give you?

It is total and absolute hypocrisy, but you're talking about Bluto. A run of the mill American fox news conservative.

Doesn't he have billions in Truth social (you pos[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]

Based on what? On simple economics. and in t[…]