Is this a good list of the 10 most powerful countries in the world? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

Catattack wrote:1. United States

2. China

3. United Kingdom

4. India

5. Germany

6. France

7. Russia

8. Japan

9. Israel

10. Italy

Defining "most powerful" is very hard. Any country in the West can be "most" powerful if it can mobilise the West as a whole to fight against some opponent, so theoretically any country from the West, especially, any large country like US, Japan, Germany, France, UK, Poland, Australia, Spain, Italy and so on are more "stronger" than India or China.
Imagine a species who live their lives to get on arbitrary 10-best lists.

I don't thin this species is going survive for very long, or even to WANT to survive for very long.

Darwin didn't talk about the Survival of the Most Obsessed with Strongness.
As was said many centuries ago, if you would discuss with me, let us first define our terms.

'Powerful' is ill-defined. Military power? Influence on other nations? Economically powerful? Powerful in terms of religious conviction?

Without the bedrock of definition, the structure erected is, to put it mildly, a tad shaky.

Regards, stay safe 'n well 'n remember the Big 5.
Torus34 wrote:As was said many centuries ago, if you would discuss with me, let us first define our terms.

'Powerful' is ill-defined. Military power? Influence on other nations? Economically powerful? Powerful in terms of religious conviction?

Without the bedrock of definition, the structure erected is, to put it mildly, a tad shaky.

And even if you can define "powerful," why do we worship at this altar?

Powerful entities usually burn out quickly. Is this what we want with our own species?

Russia has 5000 nukes. Should we be glad it's so powerful? What about Bill Gates and his 100 billion dollars for drugs for mankind?
QatzelOk wrote:And even if you can define "powerful," why do we worship at this altar?

Powerful entities usually burn out quickly. Is this what we want with our own species?

Russia has 5000 nukes. Should we be glad it's so powerful? What about Bill Gates and his 100 billion dollars for drugs for mankind?

Hi, QatzelOK.

There are a number of ways to approach answering your first question. [Ed.: It's assumed those which follow are rhetorical.]

We, as a species, have the tool of reflective thought at our disposal. Somewhere along the line, this resulted in, 'Can I [or we] do something to reduce this or that thing which affects us negatively?' Once the answer was 'Yes', it was off to the races.

Regards, stay safe 'n well . . . ;n remember the Big 5.
Torus34 wrote:We, as a species, have the tool of reflective thought at our disposal.

Yes, but what exactly is this tool, and how do we use it?

Somewhere along the line, this resulted in, 'Can I [or we] do something to reduce this or that thing which affects us negatively?' Once the answer was 'Yes', it was off to the races.

It was definitely "we" because... the people who send others off to war (or to try new tech) are not the ones who are made to suffer the consequences.

"Here, try this new drug," is said by entities who will only take the drug after it's been proven safe by all their guinea pigs.

The creation of human guinea pigs and human cattle... is what made technological change possible.

POWERFUL and POWER-SEEKING states and institutions are the ones that are the most callous to the damage they do to their guinea pigs and cattle.
Crantag wrote:I'll give it a go, though.

1. Humans
2. Polar bears
3. Sewer rats
4. Ferrets
5. Cats
6. Chimpanzees
7. Dogs
8. Hamsters
9. Indian elephants
10. Rabbits

A good effort, but viruses should be at the top of the list. Closely followed by fungi and then mosquitoes. The smaller the organism, the more powerful it tends to be. And when they start culling us, there’s usually not a damn thing we can do to stop them. This is their world, and we just live in it.
Potemkin wrote:A good effort, but viruses should be at the top of the list. Closely followed by fungi and then mosquitoes. The smaller the organism, the more powerful it tends to be. And when they start culling us, there’s usually not a damn thing we can do to stop them. This is their world, and we just live in it.

Okay, I will reform the list.

1. Viruses
2. Fungi
3. Mosquitoes
4. Humans
5. Polar bears
6. Rats
7. Skunks
8. Ants
9. Hornets
10. Rabbits

...Or maybe because there are many witnesses sayin[…]