Nuclear Weapons and the Right - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Traditional 'common sense' values and duty to the state.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Hello,

My main concern just now is the prospect of nuclear war between Russia and NATO - neither of which I feel much affliation to, precisely because they are potential nuclear actors.

I am on the left, but it strikes me that it's not obvious that the cause of nuclear de-escalation and abolition shouldn't be an ecumenical position.

As I see it, the main issue with nuclear weapons in our current world is that their use would basically destroy our entire current civilisation. Contrary popular opinion, it's actually unlikely a nuclear exchange would entirely destroy the human race, but there would be few survivors, widely scattered.

Compared to pretty much any other concern or popular hobby horse, from any political persuasion, this seems of overwhelming importance (similarly with any other weapon of equal potential). Do people agree with me it shouldn't really be seen as a partisan issue - if indeed that is the lay of the land (potentially, as many on the right and centre are abolitionists as on the left - they maybe just talk about it less)
The Young Wizard wrote:
Hello,

My main concern just now is the prospect of nuclear war between Russia and NATO - neither of which I feel much affliation to, precisely because they are potential nuclear actors.

I am on the left, but it strikes me that it's not obvious that the cause of nuclear de-escalation and abolition shouldn't be an ecumenical position.

As I see it, the main issue with nuclear weapons in our current world is that their use would basically destroy our entire current civilisation. Contrary popular opinion, it's actually unlikely a nuclear exchange would entirely destroy the human race, but there would be few survivors, widely scattered.

Compared to pretty much any other concern or popular hobby horse, from any political persuasion, this seems of overwhelming importance (similarly with any other weapon of equal potential). Do people agree with me it shouldn't really be seen as a partisan issue - if indeed that is the lay of the land (potentially, as many on the right and centre are abolitionists as on the left - they maybe just talk about it less)

The Cuban Missile Crisis happened when I was in Jr High.

It occurred to me that I might never reach puberty.

We've lived with the threat of nuclear war for a long time. The reason we haven't had one is that our sad little brains understand death when it would come today, or in a few days.

Putin screwed up massively, but he understands death. So it's unlikely he will start throwing nukes.

What we face is the Chamberlain Problem. Before WW2, Chamberlain accommodated Hitler, hoping to limit conflict, didn't work.

But opposing aggression does carry risks. My feeling is that what we are doing is reasonable, and has (so far) worked out better than I would have thought possible.
This is an interesting question.

I think you are indeed correct that there is some inclination on the Right to push for war and international escalation. It's not even really part of the written ideology but more of connected to the culture and mentality somehow.

But at the same time, leaders on the Left are not immune from doing this either.
Some speculate that the first time it was ever used, Truman did it to Japan in order to force Japan to immediately surrender at a point in time to allow Japanese supplies in Manchuria to fall into Communist hands, guaranteeing the Communists would take over China and defeat the Chinese Nationalists. That Truman had some sympathies towards the Left and secretly carried out this strategy.

You can read this thread:
How the US was responsible for the rise of the Communists in China
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=180856

@KurtFF8 Litwin wages a psyops war here but we […]

[usermention=41202] @late[/usermention] Are you[…]

[usermention=41202] @late[/usermention] The[…]

I (still) have a dream

Because the child's cattle-like parents "fol[…]