Gunman kills 19 children in Texas school shooting - Page 9 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

What are the "root causes of gun violence"? I don't think we really know what they are, let alone how to address them. Gun regulations haven't become more lax AFAIK so there's something else going on besides access.

I'll grant you it probably makes more sense to have better physical obstacles to make it very hard for strangers to enter schools and devote police resources used for guarding most schools to something else, even patrolling their vicinity would probably be a better use of resources.
@Scamp

If this happened to an affluent, all-white school where the children of Republicans attended, where the shooter entered the place with body armor to protect himself from return fire, I bet there would be a different response from Republicans. The thing that I liked about O'Rourke was he showed clearly that not only the Republicans who were doing that conference were just a bunch of ignorant stupid asswipe rednecks who don't give a fuck about anybody, but it clearly showed these dumbasses just don't know anything at all about leadership and how to do their jobs.

They are just total high-strung, ignorant dumbass, hick rednecks who don't care about anybody, only care about power, and when they have power, they just don't know how to lead. They are just really stupid people who really are idiots. They are just totally incapable of being able to think beyond themselves or to critically think and solve problems. They just don't want to do it or lead and take care of their people in the communities they are supposed to be looking out for. These are the same kind of people who oppose domestic terrorism laws in the aftermath of the white supremacist shooting up the black supermarket in New York here recently.
Rancid wrote:It has been verified that all the doors to the school were in fact, unlocked.

Rancid if a psycho truly wants to kill people they will find a way to do it. Wait for the kids to be let out for the day or a school field trip and they waiting in the car with automatic weapons. You got to accept that if violence is the objective it is easier to do than educating kids for 12 years and being a responsible parent. Destruction is always easier than care and responsibility. Got to deal with funding what works a priority in policy.
@Tainari88 you were pushing the idea that I believe Americans are somehow superior or something like that. At least I can clearly see that, despite the community surrounding it is lacking a paved street, this school:

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x ... o8VA&hl=en

...is safer from this type of attacks than this one:

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x ... x96BAhAEAM

The US is a better country to live in than Chile is, but that doesn't mean Americans do everything better than Chileans or anything like that. This is a very specific example where the US could improve without too much trouble, just by taking advantage of the infrastructure bill passed by Biden. The rest of Uvalde's Robb Elementary School's building is in better shape than most Chilean public schools but that Chilean schools are safer from strangers looking for trouble, they obviously are.

If a psycho wanted to murder kids while they are being picked up by their parents, which could happen anywhere at some point, I'm guessing it would still be better to be able to look for shelter behind a wall than behind a fence (or worse, have nowhere to run to) while police shows up.
Last edited by wat0n on 26 May 2022 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
BlutoSays wrote:If the shooter is white, then the issue is white supremacy.

If the shooter is another race, then the issue is gun control.

Every tragedy is just another opportunity for democrats to steal rights and freedoms.

If Bluto says the shooter is white he is a conservative redneck who bought the gun legally.

If Bluto says the shooter is black or another race, the issue is got to get the gun out of Leroy type people's hands.

If Bluto says every tragedy is just another opportunity for a Republican hidden racist to state...aren't you glad you got the right to buy a gun no matter what and easily. because solving mental issues and racism in teens is all about FREEDOM....Freedom...Freedom.

You better think. Think about what you are doing to me....

:lol:
@wat0n You are wasting everyone's time. There is no security threat in Thai schools, so there is no legitimate threat to address. You are deluded into thinking a problem exists, where none exists. :knife: It's fucking DUMB!

Even with the problems in Thailand's south, they don't have school shootings.

Side-note: Canada's fracking is very limited in scope to Quebec and Yukon Territory. Edmonton is 1,700km away.

Scamp wrote:Gun control does not work here. The US cities with the strictest gun control laws, have the most gun crime. So actually gun laws work adversely.
That's been proven to be a big lie fabricated by the NRA and gun nuts. @Politics_Observer posted a good link showing this.

You can't have gun control in one state, and not the one next to it. You cannot limit guns. It has to be a top-down federal initiative, so it won't happen.

Americans love guns more than their children.
wat0n wrote:What are the "root causes of gun violence"? I don't think we really know what they are, let alone how to address them. Gun regulations haven't become more lax AFAIK so there's something else going on besides access.

I'll grant you it probably makes more sense to have better physical obstacles to make it very hard for strangers to enter schools and devote police resources used for guarding most schools to something else, even patrolling their vicinity would probably be a better use of resources.

If we do not know the root causes, then I think it would be a good idea to fire the cops that ran away and use their former paycheques to fund the required studies.
Tainari88 wrote:
Rancid if a psycho truly wants to kill people they will find a way to do it. Wait for the kids to be let out for the day or a school field trip and they waiting in the car with automatic weapons. You got to accept that if violence is the objective it is easier to do than educating kids for 12 years and being a responsible parent. Destruction is always easier than care and responsibility. Got to deal with funding what works a priority in policy.

There has been cases where a potential shooter tries to get into a school, but can't because the doors are locked. The locks did in fact slow down the guy long enough for the cops to get there. No one was hurt. Including the armed man.

That is to say, there is some validity to what @wat0n is saying, that locking up a school can/does actually work.
Saeko wrote:UN-FUCKING-BELIEVABLE

Cops engaged the gunman when he arrived, but failed to kill him. Cops then entered the school to get THEIR OWN kids out, and then ran the fuck away! Then they went out and set up a perimeter while the gunman was still alive in the school for an ENTIRE HOUR! >:

https://nypost.com/2022/05/26/videos-sh ... -shooting/

They might have been off duty? There’s probably protocols in place in that situation…other classes might have just bunkered down waiting for evacuation.
You’d have done the same thing Saeko…
Rancid wrote:There has been cases where a potential shooter tries to get into a school, but can't because the doors are locked. The locks did in fact slow down the guy long enough for the cops to get there. No one was hurt. Including the armed man.

That is to say, there is some validity to what @wat0n is saying, that locking up a school can/does actually work.

Yes, we can rebuild all schools to essentially be fortresses.

In Santiago (and perhaps most Latin American cities), it is easier because most of the schools are built around an inner courtyard, with the outer wall of the school serving as a barrier to accessing the property. Gotta love those Morrish influences.

Robb Elementary in Uvalde seems to be a series of long buildings placed in rows inside a fenced off area.

To attain the same level of protection as one of the schools that @wat0n or I attended, you would need to build a more or less unclimbable wall around an area the size of a large city block. Is it doable? Yes. Is it really expensive? Yes. If they get a good deal, about 100$ a linear foot of masonry wall with smooth veneer. Let’s say a 4,000 foot perimeter. So, at least half a million dollars if you want minimal gates.

The school district has ten schools, so it would be 5 million for all ten schools.

This is approximately twice the entire school budget.

So, the scheme is laudable and would probably be effective. But without a massive funding influx, it is also unfeasible.

It is true that the Hindu's gave us nothing. But […]

I dont buy it, Why would anyone go for a vacation […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@JohnRawls No. Your perception of it is not. I g[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'd be totally happy for us to send ground troop i[…]