Democracy is bleeding out - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

BlutoSays wrote:
Like I told you before, I don't review your word salad graphics. They suck, like an F6 tornado. That is all.

Hopefully you're at least *making money* from all of this bullshit, 'cause there's no good *other* reason.
By late
BlutoSays wrote:

You democrats are going to lose your ass in November, and that is democracy at work. Looks like you're crafting the concession speech.

As I've been saying for a few years, we are in an unprecedented, insane, and just f***ing weird era.

How that plays out is anybodys guess. But recent events have changed my mind a bit. The infighting among Republicans, the Supreme Court and abortion.

Republican insanity is pushing a lot of voters away.

But if I was trying out a guess for size, I'd say this is a gotcha election, and both sides are carrying more than enough baggage to drag them under, if something unpleasant pops up close to election.
The situation of democracy isnt great anywhere in the west.

But the USA is even worse than most other modern democracies. It has majority vote, with not even strong minorities in certain places, and effectively a two party system since 200+ years.

A two party system is hardly better than a one party system. Especially considering the additional conditions in the USA - US politicians heavily depend upon money givers or they wont get into power, a condition that according to Noam Chomsky persists since the late 19. century, the regular media mostly consists of a few monopoly now (thanks to Bill Clintons Telecommunication Act from 1996 for that one).

And, as it was to be expected, it has in the past half century or so degenerated into two parties who agree upon everything but a few dummy issues - cultural issues. Not that the USA should go to war, war, war, and that the taxes for the rich should be lowered, and that labor unions are the devil, and that they frankly dont actually give a crap about regular people in any way, shape, or form.

You dont have to be a genius to figure this out. Just read on Wikipedia what a republican president half a century ago tried during his term. Nowadays it reads like the guy was left of Bernie Sanders. Of course then came Ronald Reagan who massively ramped up the US debt and ever since he basically stayed in power.

The "squad", the people who still give lip service to regular peoples, such as AOC, are a complete sham. They vote for Pelosi as speaker, they voted for every wealth transfer to the rich, they vote for every war, and they dont ever try to force the vote on any actual issue, such as general health care, which the US people like to call "Medicare for all".

Quite frankly the only reason the USA still has two parties is because only one party would be too obvious.

They have to seriously try to outlaw abortion now just so there are SOME issues they are still disagree upon. Who but some extremists want to outlaw abortion ? Its very unlikely this has broad support in the population.

So no, democracy isnt bleeding out. It doesnt exist. Its a thinly veiled illusion over an oligarchy, a rule of the rich. Thats why the rich get subsidized all over the place, thats why the rich nowadays pay about 2% of their income in taxes, thats why theres always war since the end of WW2.
late wrote:
As I've been saying for a few years, we are in an unprecedented, insane, and just f***ing weird era.

How that plays out is anybodys guess. But recent events have changed my mind a bit. The infighting among Republicans, the Supreme Court and abortion.

Republican insanity is pushing a lot of voters away.

But if I was trying out a guess for size, I'd say this is a gotcha election, and both sides are carrying more than enough baggage to drag them under, if something unpleasant pops up close to election.

What people may or may not realize is that the times we're living in are *unprecedented* -- really, nothing like the state of the world, as it is today, has *happened* before.

I think people may tend to orient themselves -- *still* -- to the 'postwar' era of 'prosperity' after World War II, but someone in an article pointed out that that period was *outside* of the norm, which, economically, is *not* conducive to lifelong employment, the white picket fence, etc.

Now the empire's line of credit is basically *tapped*, so *something's* gotta be used to make the world go around, in terms of 'value' and economics and such.

Of course I have *my own* ideas for a *post-capitalist* kind of system but these kind of things aren't just about *me*, unfortunately. (grin)

labor credits framework for 'communist supply & demand'

Spoiler: show

https://web.archive.org/web/20201211050 ... ?p=2889338
Negotiator wrote:The situation of democracy isnt great anywhere in the west.

But the USA is even worse than most other modern democracies. It has majority vote, with not even strong minorities in certain places, and effectively a two party system since 200+ years.

A two party system is hardly better than a one party system.

The money-drunk, two-party oligarchy is only ONE of the problems with what we call 'democracy."

I can think of two other reasons that it will fail.

1. Long-term means "four or five years."

Democracies like the USA have backwards infrastructure because things like a high-speed rail network take decades of commitment to get done. Our politicians live in four or five year cycles. Anything else is useless to them.

2. Only voters and sponsors matter.

Sponsors give you the money for advertising and for writers, then the advertising and writing is used to get votes from the voters.

These are the only two groups who matter to "democratic" leaders.

Who are the non-voters and non-sponsors who don't matter?
Children, Future generations, and Other species. They count for absolutely nothing in our system. Just like the Africans who were enslaved, or the First Nations who were genocided and robbed of their lands.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

ISIS wants to create a division between Chechens […]

PoFo would be a strange place for them to focus o[…]

In my opinion, masculinity has declined for all o[…]

@ingliz good to know, so why have double standar[…]