Moscow Has Lost war in Ukraine - The View from China - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

@Tainari88

I got a fiddle this big (uses index finger and thumb to create a very tiny gap that can be hardly seen), and it's playing the whole world for you. :roll: Life is hard for most people. Get over it. Think of the Ukrainians who are getting whole cities leveled and their women raped. Think of the parents who lost kids in a school shooting. Life is hard for most people around the world.
BlutoSays wrote:Q: Mr. President, is the policy of strategic ambiguity toward Taiwan dead?

President Biden: No.

Q: Could you explain?

President Biden: No.

What would a Reagan-like leader have answered the first question? Do you think he would have answered "Yes"?

To be fair, I very much think the ambiguity should be dead, but the U.S. has to back it up with real forces, and not be afraid of actually fighting a WW3.
Beren wrote:They wouldn't just take orders from him as they do from Putin in Russia...

You are underestimating how subservient Chinese officials (lower than the politburo, admittedly) can be.
late wrote:China has a short range navy. If we blockade China from a distance, China is done for. They import most of their food and energy. The economy would stop dead, and people would be starving in a few months.

A consequence of this is that, the freedom-loving and China-hating people in Hong Kong (like myself and most of whom I know) will be the first ones to die, but I have already accepted that I am to die horribly either way.

Most will advise me to emigrate, and I do think I should, but I have no spouses or descendants to worry about, at least for the time being. There are people who need the places more than I do.
Politics_Observer wrote:@Tainari88

I got a fiddle this big (uses index finger and thumb to create a very tiny gap that can be hardly seen), and it's playing the whole world for you. :roll: Life is hard for most people. Get over it. Think of the Ukrainians who are getting whole cities leveled and their women raped. Think of the parents who lost kids in a school shooting. Life is hard for most people around the world.

Yes, it is Politics. It is hard for Mexicans here too. Pandemics and no stimulus checks either. If you are lucky you make eight dollars a day. I spend most of my time going to ATM machines and giving out loans to micro-businesses that are owned by neighbors and they promise to pay me back. Do they? Probably not. But if you think this pandemic is bad for people in wealthy nations? In Mexico, it is way worse. I prefer this though. I prefer it to nations full of resources, and stimulus checks but who keep fighting to deny the vote to my people. They don't have money for replacing rooves in Naranjito etc Puerto Rico for the next hurricane season but they always got money for some adventure in war. It is crazy. The Putin man is an asshole. I hope he gets what is coming to him. Anyone who bombs children's hospitals and innocent people trying to flee all that war....needs to be 'neutralized'.

Trump sure was friendly with that crazy dictator. Yet we got half the country who loves their buddy of Putin. Lol. It is nuts.

Here? I could not be happier. My son got a perfect grade in geography in his test today. I was so proud. He knows his mother likes geography.

I took out my father's old photograph of his days in the Air Force. Lol. He is buried in a veteran's cemetery in Colorado. His ashes are there.

The leader of Puerto Ricans in the 1930s was in the US military. He was a Harvard Law graduate. A great man. But he knew Puerto Rico needed to be free. Living under some nation that doesn't really see you as equal. Is not the thought of a man of justice.

It never is.
Last edited by Tainari88 on 27 May 2022 04:51, edited 1 time in total.
Patrickov wrote:What would a Reagan-like leader have answered the first question? Do you think he would have answered "Yes"?

To be fair, I very much think the ambiguity should be dead, but the U.S. has to back it up with real forces, and not be afraid of actually fighting a WW3.

My guess is Reagan would have said strategic ambiguity IS dead and said it PROUDLY. And his White House would not have undercut him after the statement, either.

He was smooth at taking questions, could insert a joke when appropriate, and was a well spoken statesman. Jesus Keerist, even Ted Kennedy could have done a better job than Biden.

Carter DID a better job, than Biden. I mean, WTF. :eek:

See: Reagan and Gorbachev meeting in Reykjavik, October 1986 followed by Reagan at the Berlin Wall, Summer 1987. Finally, see the dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991.
BlutoSays wrote:See: Reagan and Gorbachev meeting in Reykjavik, October 1986 followed by Reagan at the Berlin Wall, Summer 1987. Finally, see the dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991.

It's very much because Gorbachev has a "weak" mind, and listens to words of reason rather than force.

Putin apparently is Gorbachev's polar opposite. I very much suspect using Reagan's approach indiscriminately would result in WW3 very quickly.

As I said, not that I think it's shouldn't (unlike late), but anyone willing to do this has to be more prepared about that.
Patrickov wrote:It's very much because Gorbachev has a "weak" mind, and listens to words of reason rather than force.

Putin apparently is Gorbachev's polar opposite. I very much suspect using Reagan's approach indiscriminately would result in WW3 very quickly.

As I said, not that I think it's shouldn't (unlike late), but anyone willing to do this has to be more prepared about that.

The Russian psyche is that you knuckle under to them. If you don't, they ratchet up force (kinetic, cyber and disinformation), except to a country that is a match in might. Only a few countries qualify. Then they don't know what to do and stare. They prefer brutal iron-fisted force, but when confronted on an even playing field, Russians are stopped in their tracks. Democrats OTOH are pacifists and will let Moscow walk all over them as long as there's a glimmer of hope of co-existence. You know, much like Neville Chamberlain in WW2. If the Reagan doctrine was in effect, Ukraine would never have happened.

I mean Biden announced what he was not going to do before the first shot was fired. Why would you give away your negotiating position early on? Democrats are SO f'n inept.
BlutoSays wrote:The Russian psyche is that you knuckle under to them. If you don't, they ratchet up force (kinetic, cyber and disinformation), except to a country that is a match in might. Only a few countries qualify. Then they don't know what to do and stare. They prefer brutal iron-fisted force, but when confronted on an even playing field, Russians are stopped in their tracks. ...... If the Reagan doctrine was in effect, Ukraine would never have happened.

I believe this is right, and what Reagan did was right.

However, I also believe either Reagan was well prepared in case the Soviets actually went to war, or he had his share of luck (or in some's words, he was on God's side so God helped him to avoid trouble).

After all, nothing can be 100% accurately predicted.

Democrats are the more cautious one, so I don't agree with them, true.
But I don't think either of us is in place to say what they did before the invasion is appeasement.
Politics_Observer wrote:@wat0n

I talk to a lot of Puerto Ricans and they are not ant-American like she is. She just whines a lot. She needs to stop bitching all the time to us, who can do nothing about it, and go and talk to the U.S. Congress about having representatives in Congress. The Republicans don't want it because they know that Puerto Ricans will vote Democrat. But I think Puerto Ricans can get representation in Congress if they fight hard for representation in Congress.

I have no qualms with giving Puerto Rico statehood. Again, it's these Republicans who don't want it because they are afraid Puerto Ricans will vote Democrat, which they probably will. But they still have a right to be represented in Congress. But I can't do anything about it. I am not a member of Congress. Constantly whining about it over and over and over again just gets on people's nerves. And we are proud Americans here. She needs to respect that. Otherwise, Americans will just hate her and dismiss her.

I whine for independence the bitchy insistent bitch that I am. Because I criticize a government full of Republican senators and congresspeople who mount insurrections and are some real traitors of democracy. While I? Defend the interests of my ethnic group. That by the way, can't vote if they remain in the island that was theirs for way more than the 120-plus years AFTER the USA military arrived, with fake lies about giving us our freedom and liberating us from Spain. Did they? No. Lies. They wanted to keep us for their own purposes. Just shut up Tainari I can't do anything about it. No, you can Politics. You can back AOC's bill to change the old song and dance of ignoring the vote from the Puerto Ricans like they always do. NON BINDING is the problem.

They don't want to make a decision.

You back the Ukrainian people who want to keep their land from being invaded and colonized by the Putin dictator fascist fuck.....but i am the bitch that wants independence and should be hated. Do you see how stupid that fucking lack of logic is? Do you see how full of bullshit that sounds to me?

Stop making excuses for bad governments. No matter which nation has them Politics Observer. There is always something people can do to improve the situation of other groups and nations. Even if it is just listening to them tell their stories.

My bitchy insistent ways at least made Wat0n read something he otherwise would not have read. That is being civilized. Opening up minds and hearts. Not throwing fucking bombs from a Russian plane on innocent people living in their own land.

Get a clue about human behavior. We as humans got the bad and the good inside. Choose the good. Even if you have to realize your nation does sin a lot. Just like many others.
There is no risk of war with Taiwan in the foreseeable future unless the US does some dumb shit that forces China to react. An actual commitment to militarily defend Taiwan or recognition of the independence of Taiwan would create a war immediately as the Chinese state would be forced to act or lose all domestic and foreign credibility and legitimacy.

Military conflict is Plan Z for the CPC's integration of Taiwan, at any rate. There is no need or value in rocking the boat and creating conflict when its unnecessary.
Fasces wrote:There is no risk of war with Taiwan in the foreseeable future unless the US does some dumb shit that forces China to react. An actual commitment to militarily defend Taiwan or recognition of the independence of Taiwan would create a war immediately as the Chinese state would be forced to act or lose all domestic and foreign credibility and legitimacy.

Military conflict is Plan Z for the CPC's integration of Taiwan, at any rate. There is no need or value in rocking the boat and creating conflict when its unnecessary.

Hmm, isn't rocking the boat and looking for wars to spend money on what the plutocrats want? I think the best thing in the world is for that horrible situation in Ukraine to be resolved and peace restored as soon as possible. The longer that stuff goes on and more body bags come home to Moscow, the less popular the special operation that the Putin Puto is trying to get accomplished will be.
Patrickov wrote:A consequence of this is that, the freedom-loving and China-hating people in Hong Kong (like myself and most of whom I know) will be the first ones to die, but I have already accepted that I am to die horribly either way.

Most will advise me to emigrate, and I do think I should, but I have no spouses or descendants to worry about, at least for the time being. There are people who need the places more than I do.

This concerns me. Don't get that way @Patrickov. There is life in other nations and other places. Just keep positive. You should think about all that you do want to accomplish in life. There is hope, especially at the end of a very long stretch of bad luck or unfortunate events. I can't believe how many dreams have come true of mine by following my instincts and my dreams. Don't be afraid of going after your heart's desire Patrickov. Keep hope alive.

I don't know you. But I read you. You got to realize that happiness is something you have to run after. It doesn't just show up without you putting effort into making yourself happy.

It will surprise you. Do you want a family? Think about it. ;)
Tainari88 wrote:My bitchy insistent ways at least made Wat0n read something he otherwise would not have read. That is being civilized. Opening up minds and hearts. Not throwing fucking bombs from a Russian plane on innocent people living in their own land.

Unfortunately I haven't had time to read the texts you advised me to read. The stuff about the Jones Maritime Act of 1920 and PR is something I learnt from a different source.

I'd probably vote for statehood if I were Puerto Rican, but that's me. Simplemente creo que hacer que la isla sea tratada como cualquier estado es lo mejor, si quieren tener un sistema de seguridad social más generoso para los habitantes de la isla, nadie se los impide.
@Tainari88

I haven't read everything you wrote because it's just the same bullshit. Bitching and whining and playing the victim card. Go bitch and whine to people who can do something about it. I am not a member of Congress. Stop constantly whining at people who have no power to do anything about it. It doesn't do you or anybody else any good. If you can't understand that, then piss off.
Politics_Observer wrote:
@Tainari88

I haven't read everything you wrote because it's just the same bullshit. Bitching and whining and playing the victim card. Go bitch and whine to people who can do something about it. I am not a member of Congress. Stop constantly whining at people who have no power to do anything about it. It doesn't do you or anybody else any good. If you can't understand that, then piss off.

So, you have no idea what politics is..
@late

You are pretty stupid because you can't understand the difference between somebody who constantly bitches and whine about and dumps shit in your space constantly over and over and over and over again and the notion of honest debate on politics. Constant bitching and whining are not politics or debate. Moreover, hey I am proud of who I am. Maybe you are not, but I am. I am not going to let you or her take that away from me. This is a debate we have had before and I have told her, "Hey, I can't do anything about it. Talk to Congress. They are the ones who can." There is nothing else I can do.
Last edited by Politics_Observer on 27 May 2022 13:51, edited 1 time in total.
late wrote:So, you have no idea what politics is..

I can't imagine the difference between No.1 and No.2 on PoFo (in terms of political comprehension ability) can be so large.

@Politics_Observer I see both of you are very respectable figures. This rage should be reserved for the real threats.
@Patrickov

@Tainari88 can be cool sometimes. I don't agree with her on everything. I get she has a different point of view. But on the same token, I can't solve her problems for her insomuch as whatever disagreements she has with the U.S. government. That's not my responsibility nor is it in my power. Moreover, a lot of Puerto Ricans I have spoken to simply don't agree with her. They are just as Puerto Rican as she is. Lastly, instead of constantly complaining to me about whatever problems she has with the U.S. Government, which I can do nothing about, she should take that energy and talk or write to members of Congress and lobby Congress who can do something about whatever problems she has.

Aside from that, she will also have to get her fellow Puerto Ricans to agree with her point of view, which, many Puerto Ricans I have spoken to, simply do not agree with her. The fact of the matter is, if she can't get most of her fellow Puerto Ricans to agree with her, then she is going to have a much more difficult time making her case to members of Congress. But I can't do anything about this. I am not a Puerto Rican and this is something that Puerto Ricans have to figure out among themselves and come to a consensus on and then make a case to people who can do something about it: Congress.
Politics_Observer wrote:@late

You are pretty stupid because you can't understand the difference between somebody who constantly bitches and whine about and dumps shit in your space constantly over and over and over and over again and the notion of honest debate on politics. Constant bitching and whining are not politics or debate.

I used to do movement politics.

Squeaky wheels gets the grease, what she is doing is minimal. You think she's bad, take a look at Paris.

EU is not prepared on nuclear war, but Russia,[…]

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]