The REAL suicide rate: 1 out of 50 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
If one looks up the official statistics it appears something like 13 per 100,000 in the population annually. But the public never sees this put in a form they can really understand. I've been doing some calculations using the numbers in the official statistics, and it seems like the real suicide rate is around 1 out of 50. (that's lifetime incidence)

The U.S. suicide rate (2016) for young adults between 25-34 years of age was 16.5 (per 100,000), which represented a 37.5% increase compared to what the rate was in the year 2000.
A little bit of calculation shows that 0.6% of the total population between the ages of 14-34 will die from suicide, during that 20-year-long span of their lives. But that's not all. Out of this same age group, an additional 0.34% will die from overdosing on heroine, and 0.2% from prescription opioids. A pertinent question that can be asked is whether the majority of these deaths, which were recorded as simple overdoses, should actually be viewed as suicides.
Taken altogether, that means 1.14% of our young people are dying from suicide or opioid overdoses.

And that rate only rises as they reach middle age.

In the U.S. men die 3.57 times more often than women from suicide.

In Canada, on the average day, 575 people die, 610 immigrants come to Canada, 135 people in Canada leave to go live in another country. Out of the 575 that die each day, 10 of them are from suicide. Somewhere between 1 out of 58 to 107 children who are born will someday choose to kill themselves. The exact number was a bit difficult for me to calculate more precisely because the number of babies being born over time has not been constant.

Here's another little statistic that may be surprising to some people.
The Japanese have a reputation of having a high suicide rate, but actually the suicide rate in Japan is lower than the suicide rate for white Americans in the US.
suicide rate for Japan, as of 2016, 14.3 (per 100,000)
suicide rate for white Americans, as of 2016, 15.7
and it climbed to 16.84 as of 2018

sources:
https://www.apa.org/monitor/2019/03/trends-suicide
https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/
Puffer Fish wrote:If one looks up the official statistics it appears something like 13 per 100,000 in the population annually. But the public never sees this put in a form they can really understand. I've been doing some calculations using the numbers in the official statistics, and it seems like the real suicide rate is around 1 out of 50. (that's lifetime incidence)

The U.S. suicide rate (2016) for young adults between 25-34 years of age was 16.5 (per 100,000), which represented a 37.5% increase compared to what the rate was in the year 2000.
A little bit of calculation shows that 0.6% of the total population between the ages of 14-34 will die from suicide, during that 20-year-long span of their lives. But that's not all. Out of this same age group, an additional 0.34% will die from overdosing on heroine, and 0.2% from prescription opioids. A pertinent question that can be asked is whether the majority of these deaths, which were recorded as simple overdoses, should actually be viewed as suicides.
Taken altogether, that means 1.14% of our young people are dying from suicide or opioid overdoses.

And that rate only rises as they reach middle age.

In the U.S. men die 3.57 times more often than women from suicide.

In Canada, on the average day, 575 people die, 610 immigrants come to Canada, 135 people in Canada leave to go live in another country. Out of the 575 that die each day, 10 of them are from suicide. Somewhere between 1 out of 58 to 107 children who are born will someday choose to kill themselves. The exact number was a bit difficult for me to calculate more precisely because the number of babies being born over time has not been constant.

Here's another little statistic that may be surprising to some people.
The Japanese have a reputation of having a high suicide rate, but actually the suicide rate in Japan is lower than the suicide rate for white Americans in the US.
suicide rate for Japan, as of 2016, 14.3 (per 100,000)
suicide rate for white Americans, as of 2016, 15.7
and it climbed to 16.84 as of 2018

sources:
https://www.apa.org/monitor/2019/03/trends-suicide
https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/

You suck at math. A little calculation shows you out by orders of magnitude,

pugsville wrote:You suck at math. A little calculation shows you out by orders of magnitude,

It seems you don't really understand what that statistic means.

"13 per 100,000" means per year. "1 out of 50" means per lifetime.

Multiply 13 by 79 (average life expectancy) and you get 1027. I won't bother working out the actual calculations for you, but you can see that is not even one "order of magnitude" off, like you seem to claim.
Puffer Fish wrote:It seems you don't really understand what that statistic means.

"13 per 100,000" means per year. "1 out of 50" means per lifetime.

Multiply 13 by 79 (average life expectancy) and you get 1027. I won't bother working out the actual calculations for you, but you can see that is not even one "order of magnitude" off, like you seem to claim.

You still suck at math,
Puffer Fish wrote:1 out of 50

Crude US death rate (CIA numbers 2020): 8.3 per 1000

US suicide rate (AHA numbers 2020): 0.0128 per 1000

:)
Puffer Fish wrote:1 out of 50

I make the REAL US suicide rate to be 1 per 648/9* deaths.

* 8.3 divided by 0.0128 = 648.4375
pugsville wrote:You still suck at math,

If I already just explained to you how the lifetime rate (using the official statistics) is half of what I claimed it to be, then it's not unreasonable to include overdose statistics to double that, resulting in approximately 1 out of 50.
Puffer Fish wrote:If I already just explained to you how the lifetime rate (using the official statistics) is half of what I claimed it to be, then it's not unreasonable to include overdose statistics to double that, resulting in approximately 1 out of 50.

......excuses.

Trump and Biden have big differences on some issue[…]

Moving the goalposts won't change the facts on th[…]

There were formidable defense lines in the Donbas[…]

World War II Day by Day

March 28, Thursday No separate peace deal with G[…]