Should Biden Run in 2024? Democratic Whispers of ‘No’ Start to Rise. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Should Biden Run in 2024? Democratic Whispers of ‘No’ Start to Rise.

In interviews, dozens of frustrated Democratic officials, members of Congress and voters expressed doubts about the president’s ability to rescue his reeling party and take the fight to Republicans.

By Reid J. Epstein and Jennifer Medina, The New York Times
June 11, 2022

Midway through the 2022 primary season, many Democratic lawmakers and party officials are venting their frustrations with President Biden’s struggle to advance the bulk of his agenda, doubting his ability to rescue the party from a predicted midterm trouncing and increasingly viewing him as an anchor that should be cut loose in 2024.

As the challenges facing the nation mount and fatigued base voters show low enthusiasm, Democrats in union meetings, the back rooms of Capitol Hill and party gatherings from coast to coast are quietly worrying about Mr. Biden’s leadership, his age and his capability to take the fight to former President Donald J. Trump a second time.

Interviews with nearly 50 Democratic officials, from county leaders to members of Congress, as well as with disappointed voters who backed Mr. Biden in 2020, reveal a party alarmed about Republicans’ rising strength and extraordinarily pessimistic about an immediate path forward.

“To say our country was on the right track would flagrantly depart from reality,” said Steve Simeonidis, a Democratic National Committee member from Miami. Mr. Biden, he said, “should announce his intent not to seek re-election in ’24 right after the midterms.”

Democrats’ concerns come as the opening hearing of the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol made clear the stakes of a 2024 presidential election in which Mr. Trump, whose lies fueled a riot that disrupted the peaceful transfer of power, may well seek to return to the White House.

For Mr. Biden and his party, the hearings’ vivid reminder of the Trump-inspired mob violence represents perhaps the last, best chance before the midterms to break through with persuadable swing voters who have been more focused on inflation and gas prices. If the party cannot, it may miss its final opportunity to hold Mr. Trump accountable as Mr. Biden faces a tumultuous two years of a Republican-led House obstructing and investigating him.

Most top elected Democrats were reluctant to speak on the record about Mr. Biden’s future, and no one interviewed expressed any ill will toward Mr. Biden, to whom they are universally grateful for ousting Mr. Trump from office.

But the repeated failures of his administration to pass big-ticket legislation on signature Democratic issues, as well as his halting efforts to use the bully pulpit of the White House to move public opinion, have left the president with sagging approval ratings and a party that, as much as anything, seems to feel sorry for him.

That has left Democratic leaders struggling to explain away a series of calamities for the party that all seem beyond Mr. Biden’s control: inflation rates unseen in four decades, surging gas prices, a lingering pandemic, a spate of mass shootings, a Supreme Court poised to end the federal right to an abortion, and key congressional Democrats’ refusal to muscle through the president’s Build Back Better agenda or an expansion of voting rights.

Worries about age, and a successor

To nearly all the Democrats interviewed, the president’s age — 79 now, 82 by the time the winner of the 2024 election is inaugurated — is a deep concern about his political viability. They have watched as a commander in chief who built a reputation for gaffes has repeatedly rattled global diplomacy with unexpected remarks that were later walked back by his White House staff, and as he has sat for fewer interviews than any of his recent predecessors.

“The presidency is a monstrously taxing job and the stark reality is the president would be closer to 90 than 80 at the end of a second term, and that would be a major issue,” said David Axelrod, the chief strategist for Barack Obama’s two winning presidential campaigns.

“Biden doesn’t get the credit he deserves for steering the country through the worst of the pandemic, passing historic legislation, pulling the NATO alliance together against Russian aggression and restoring decency and decorum to the White House,” Mr. Axelrod added. “And part of the reason he doesn’t is performative. He looks his age and isn’t as agile in front of a camera as he once was, and this has fed a narrative about competence that isn’t rooted in reality.”

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/11/us/p ... crats.html
No. Neither Biden nor Trump should run in 2024. They're too fucking OLD! They're too senile. They're more of the same shit that Americans want to be rid of.

USA needs some politicians in their late 30s to 40s who will bring some youth, energy, and leadership to USA.
Rancid wrote:As long as Trump or some MAGA Moron doesn't run, I don't give a shit.

What do you think the Republican party is now?

You have to be a retard or just straight up an asshole to be a Republican now. There is nothing within their platform aside from punishing the "Wrong Kind" of people. American Conservatism explicitly rejects the idea that if their party gains power they will help people. The idea that government can create positive material changes in the lives of its constituents was explicitly refuted by Reagan: "The scariest words in the English language are, "I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help.' Where am I? What am I doing here?"

It's telling that the greatest figures in the Republican party have been Trump and Reagan: two morons who were barely cognizant of their own identity and literally confused fiction with reality on a regular basis. It makes sense that these would be the perfect vessels for the American Conservative movement when you examine it and understand how they promise nothing but performative anger and spite.

You don't vote R if you want a better world, you vote red if you you think the government's job is to punish people you perceive to have moral failings. Such as being a gay or a woman.

Also, Bluto is one of the dumbest posters on this forum. He compensates for this by being very loud. I literally can not imagine how tiny his headspace is where he salivates about how the contents of Hunter Biden's laptop are going to let him own his relatives at Thanksgiving, which he will ruin by being drunk and racist. Assuming he is even still invited to family events. I am genuinely curious about where he gets news from, but I assume he would do the classic colliric trick of saying, "No, I heard about how women spermjack men from my local ABC affiliate."
SpecialOlympian wrote:What do you think the Republican party is now?

You have to be a retard or just straight up an asshole to be a Republican now. There is nothing within their platform aside from punishing the "Wrong Kind" of people. American Conservatism explicitly rejects the idea that if their party gains power they will help people. The idea that government can create positive material changes in the lives of its constituents was explicitly refuted by Reagan: "The scariest words in the English language are, "I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help.' Where am I? What am I doing here?"

It's telling that the greatest figures in the Republican party have been Trump and Reagan: two morons who were barely cognizant of their own identity and literally confused fiction with reality on a regular basis. It makes sense that these would be the perfect vessels for the American Conservative movement when you examine it and understand how they promise nothing but performative anger and spite.

You don't vote R if you want a better world, you vote red if you you think the government's job is to punish people you perceive to have moral failings. Such as being a gay or a woman.

Also, Bluto is one of the dumbest posters on this forum. He compensates for this by being very loud. I literally can not imagine how tiny his headspace is where he salivates about how the contents of Hunter Biden's laptop are going to let him own his relatives at Thanksgiving, which he will ruin by being drunk and racist. Assuming he is even still invited to family events. I am genuinely curious about where he gets news from, but I assume he would do the classic colliric trick of saying, "No, I heard about how women spermjack men from my local ABC affiliate."

You're curious where I get my news from? I ALWAYS cite sources. In this case, it's the New York Times.

Even the leftist NY Times is saying OOPS. Can't attack your own, can you progressives? Now what?
To be fair, if any political party cannot select a presidential candidate not at risk of popping suddenly (even a healthy person is vulnerable in his or her 80s) then they have a problem.

However, the same applies for Trumpists. Trump is himself 76 and will be 78 in 2024, older than many presidents on their (natural) death.
I hope Trump dies before 2024.

As for Biden, it's probably best he doesn't run. All I want is for the REpublican candidate to not be a Trumptard and have some balls to call the insurrection and insurrection.
Last edited by Rancid on 16 Jun 2022 03:54, edited 1 time in total.
Rancid wrote:I hope Trump died before 2024.

As for Biden, it's probably best he doesn't run. All I want is for the REpublican candidate to not be a Trumptard and have some balls to call the insurrection and insurrection.

They will not, if my analogy of the Republican Party to the DAB in Hong Kong or the KMT in Taiwan is right, that is.

It will be easier to exterminate them than to make them bite the bullet.
I can't take it anymore!!! I need to know what's in the laptop!! WHAT'S IN THE LAPTOP!?!?

What kind of cruel, uncaring God would create man and place him in a world where the contents of Hunter Biden's laptop are unknown? Why did so many billions of people suffer in ignorance before the laptop even existed!??

What interests are those? Helping Ukraine to de[…]

@wat0n Your obsession with sexual violence is[…]

Since you keep insisting on pretending that the I[…]

Commercial foreclosures increase 97% from last ye[…]