Gunman kills 19 children in Texas school shooting - Page 31 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

@BlutoSays has a point in that Hollywood obviously does glorify violence.

I don't listen to actors, so I didn't really watch the video.

I don't think being famous in films makes someone qualified for me to listen to, and he seemed sort of annoying for the first minute or so that I watched.

You guys can watch it and like it all you want, and I get that people like to circle their wagons and shit, but through the years I have personally become less and less partisan, and I really don't give a shit what an actor has to say about just about anything.
Crantag wrote:@BlutoSays has a point in that Hollywood obviously does glorify violence.

I don't listen to actors, so I didn't really watch the video.

I don't think being famous in films makes someone qualified for me to listen to, and he seemed sort of annoying for the first minute or so that I watched.

You guys can watch it and like it all you want, and I get that people like to circle their wagons and shit, but through the years I have personally become less and less partisan, and I really don't give a shit what an actor has to say about just about anything.

It’s America, the only nation in which celebrities have the answer to every problem, and are listened to. Who needs facts or analyses from experts in their field when you have that photogenic actor from that last movie you saw to tell you what to think? After all, he’s famous, so he must know what he’s talking about. Lol.

This is why Reagan happened. Take heed.
What is happening in the US right now is truly bizarre. I have no idea what happened. None. Any attempt to explain it makes me sound like some kind of pop psychologist. Trump? Armed militias? The fixation with military arms.

When I was a kid we all had guns. Our favorite television programs contained at lest one bloodless shooting a week. Cowboy mania. If you visited the parking lot of my high school you would have seen lots of rifle racks in pickup trucks. And the NRA taught gun safety not murder/suicide. We honored a liberal arts education with science for those so inclined. Not the other way around. And we would have NEVER tolerated the likes of Donald Trump in our living rooms not to mention in the Whitehouse. I can't even get my head wrapped around a television program where someone gets fired every week. Getting fired was a really bad thing in my generation and a tragedy in my father's generation. We demanded civility in our politicians as witnessed by the fact that we censored Tail gunner Joe for far less than Trump did on twitter every morning.

There is nothing traditional about carrying firearms in America. It was illegal to carry them in most places for most of American history. Carrying a concealed weapon was illegal in Arizona until recently. But the real scary thing was that we saw no need. It was not until the recent infatuation with military guns that we even considered it.

When I was in the Army in the 80s I worked for a time with the sheriff of our county. He was a reserve officer. I was in his office one day and saw a concealed weapons license application on his desk. I commented on it in a joking way, saying something like, "if I don't learn to keep my mouth shut in bars, I am going to need one of those". He reached into is desk, pulled out a license, typed it up and handed it to me. (That was how it worked in California in those days, You got one from your local sheriff if he thought you needed it.) I took it home, put it into my desk alongside my old 1911A1 and there it sat until I threw it away in a move or something. The very idea that an untrained geezer can buy a pistol containing 10+ rounds of ammo, have the guy at the gun store load it for him, stick it under his coat and walk amongst us is beyond absurd. Then keep it until his grandson finds it and blows away his granddaughter.

This is NOT what the founders had in mind.
Drlee wrote:What is happening in the US right now is truly bizarre. I have no idea what happened. None. Any attempt to explain it makes me sound like some kind of pop psychologist. Trump? Armed militias? The fixation with military arms.

When I was a kid we all had guns. Our favorite television programs contained at lest one bloodless shooting a week. Cowboy mania. If you visited the parking lot of my high school you would have seen lots of rifle racks in pickup trucks. And the NRA taught gun safety not murder/suicide. We honored a liberal arts education with science for those so inclined. Not the other way around. And we would have NEVER tolerated the likes of Donald Trump in our living rooms not to mention in the Whitehouse. I can't even get my head wrapped around a television program where someone gets fired every week. Getting fired was a really bad thing in my generation and a tragedy in my father's generation. We demanded civility in our politicians as witnessed by the fact that we censored Tail gunner Joe for far less than Trump did on twitter every morning.

There is nothing traditional about carrying firearms in America. It was illegal to carry them in most places for most of American history. Carrying a concealed weapon was illegal in Arizona until recently. But the real scary thing was that we saw no need. It was not until the recent infatuation with military guns that we even considered it.

When I was in the Army in the 80s I worked for a time with the sheriff of our county. He was a reserve officer. I was in his office one day and saw a concealed weapons license application on his desk. I commented on it in a joking way, saying something like, "if I don't learn to keep my mouth shut in bars, I am going to need one of those". He reached into is desk, pulled out a license, typed it up and handed it to me. (That was how it worked in California in those days, You got one from your local sheriff if he thought you needed it.) I took it home, put it into my desk alongside my old 1911A1 and there it sat until I threw it away in a move or something. The very idea that an untrained geezer can buy a pistol containing 10+ rounds of ammo, have the guy at the gun store load it for him, stick it under his coat and walk amongst us is beyond absurd. Then keep it until his grandson finds it and blows away his granddaughter.

This is NOT what the founders had in mind.

I donlt understand this glorification and bowing down to these founders as the font all wisdom. They set up this mess. Who cares what they had in mind? Why do yo think they would have anything sensible to say?
pugsville wrote:I donlt understand this glorification and bowing down to these founders as the font all wisdom. They set up this mess. Who cares what they had in mind? Why do yo think they would have anything sensible to say?

They were men of their times. Many of them remarkable people. But Jefferson himself wrote often about the need to change the constitution from time to time. But at the end of the day you are quite correct. We can and ought to do something about this carnage. And we can. But the Republican party has mad itself little more than a confederation of dunces and single issue voters. Not smart people for the most part. They will sit on much needed gun regulation forever.
Drlee wrote:They were men of their times. Many of them remarkable people. But Jefferson himself wrote often about the need to change the constitution from time to time. But at the end of the day you are quite correct. We can and ought to do something about this carnage. And we can. But the Republican party has mad itself little more than a confederation of dunces and single issue voters. Not smart people for the most part. They will sit on much needed gun regulation forever.

You put people in pedestal you cease any real attempt at understanding. Jefferson himself , who cares. This reverence that what they thought should be accorded some special status, like it trumps other stuff in debate. It's religious dogma in another form. They were motivated any petty private interests and politics. They may have some good ideas but they also had plenty of bad ones.
pugsville wrote:You put people in pedestal you cease any real attempt at understanding. Jefferson himself , who cares. This reverence that what they thought should be accorded some special status, like it trumps other stuff in debate. It's religious dogma in another form. They were motivated any petty private interests and politics. They may have some good ideas but they also had plenty of bad ones.

Why do you seem to have a hard time with my agreeing with you? Read what I said again.
Negotiator wrote:The guy was apparently of low empathy, had few if any friends, ...

This sounds like 90% of the people who grew up in media-addicted suburbs.

Have we ruined our children by "raising them" in isolated suburban compounds in front of screens?

Sounds like the obvious cause of school shootings. So obvious, that most people can't even see it. It's too close to their noses.

Bored Suburbanites wrote:101 Things to Do When Kids Are Bored

1. Make a Skittles rainbow

2. ...

Making a Skittles rainbow, in the kitchen, with your own child.... is not as useful to children as being able to play on the streets or to ride their bike to wherever they want to go.

Denying kids "normal play" and "spontaneous interactions with adults in their communities" is likely to cause many more problems than school shootings.

Imagine an animal that becomes too stupid to know how to raise its own young. Now imagine that this animal is also proud of having been domesticated.
Pants-of-dog wrote:The actions of the police in this particular mass murder provide a very good argument for defunding police.

And if none of these cops receive any censure whatsoever, then it also provides evidence for the implied argument in ACAB as well.

Unfortunately the police here are under no legal obligation to protect anyone.
Of course, they can be sued and jailed when the kill someone.
This particular incident really looks bad for those particular police.
Pants-of-dog wrote:The actions of the police in this particular mass murder provide a very good argument for defunding police.

And if none of these cops receive any censure whatsoever, then it also provides evidence for the implied argument in ACAB as well.

Did they try to deescalate?
wat0n wrote:I don't know.

I'm asking because I recall de-escalation being pushed as a viable solution to police shootings. So... How would have it worked here?

Would you describe that as de-escalation?

Are cops trained in de-escalation?

Who is?

How do we get them to deal with these situations?
Pants-of-dog wrote:Would you describe that as de-escalation?

Are cops trained in de-escalation?

Who is?

How do we get them to deal with these situations?

So how would have a trained person in de-escalation dealt with this situation? Can you guarantee it wouldn't end how it did?

Keep in mind the shooter said he was going to do what he did on social media.

This is a lie. You're not that stupid or ignorant[…]

Neither is an option too. Neither have your inte[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

@JohnRawls There is no ethnic cleansing going o[…]

They are building a Russian Type nuclear reactor..[…]