Roe V. Wade to be Overturned - Page 51 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

Pants-of-dog wrote:The USA has, in many ways, already descended to the status of a more or less corrupt and unequal country. The only real difference between the USA and some Latino country with a tinpot dictatorship s the size of the GDP.

In terms of having corrupt partisan judges who take away rights from women and other pregnant people, some developing countries are actually more progressive and advanced than the USA.

women and other pregnant people?

What dat?
Godstud wrote:Sorry, dumbass @BlutoSays but a fetus is NOT a different body, until it is BORN. The mother is connected to the circulatory system(umbilical cord). It's not a fucking astronaut in its own pod. :roll:

If a man decides to get a vasectomy, are you going to try to prevent it, too? Those poor sperm!! :knife:

I didn't know passing through a vaginal canal has a magic wand that confers body-hood. Thanks for the biology lesson!
BlutoSays wrote:What dat?

We report a tenth case of pregnancy in a true hermaphrodite delivering a male fetus. Partial removal of testicular tissue may enhance fertility chances. All-male progeny may relate to chromosome pairing at fertilization and concerns about possible masculinizing effects on the external genitalia of a potential female fetus should be downplayed. A multi-disciplinary team approach is recommended including Reproductive Endocrinology, Maternal Fetal Medicine and Genetics to provide optimal management for this rare condition.

— Pregnancy in a true hermaphrodite with a remaining ovotestis, American Society for Reproductive Medicine paper (2008)

Trivia:

Findings show that true hermaphrodites with ovarian and testicular tissues are potentially autofertile.

:)
ingliz wrote:
We report a tenth case of pregnancy in a true hermaphrodite delivering a male fetus. Partial removal of testicular tissue may enhance fertility chances. All-male progeny may relate to chromosome pairing at fertilization and concerns about possible masculinizing effects on the external genitalia of a potential female fetus should be downplayed. A multi-disciplinary team approach is recommended including Reproductive Endocrinology, Maternal Fetal Medicine and Genetics to provide optimal management for this rare condition.

— Pregnancy in a true hermaphrodite with a remaining ovotestis, American Society for Reproductive Medicine paper (2008)

Trivia:

Findings show that true hermaphrodites with ovarian and testicular tissues are potentially autofertile.

:)

That gives new meaning to an old insult..
Contraception Ban
Cost: $500
Requirements: None.
Effects: Bans the use of birth control pills and products. This increases the respect of the Religious faction and boosts population growth by making it more likely for women on the island to become mothers. However, banning contraceptives is seen as a sign of diminished freedom by the Intellectuals.

I didn't know I was a pacifist now I'm a pacifist.
From the World Wars era and onward, the Communists emerge as a response to Capitalists. Inspired by the revolutionary ideas of Karl Marx, Communists prefer that all government institutions be made available to the public. They don't like it, however, when the government creates tools that clearly benefit the rich and oppress the poor.

Players who want to build up a strong military presence on Tropico should look towards the Militarists. The Militarists only care about building a strong military and have a strong focus on discipline, uniformity, and strength.
Anything that strengthens the government and security is fantastic for Militarists, even if it comes at the cost of personal liberties. Anything with a focus on welfare, education, or the environment is looked down upon. Obviously, any building relating to the military will help with this faction.

The primary enemy of the Militarists is the Religious faction. Instead of war, they intend to promote peace and welfare, as well as a sense of tradition. So long as the government continues on the path of peace, the Religious will have good relations with Tropico.Players should focus on helping the poor and honoring religious values while avoiding anything that supports an extravagant lifestyle and progressive thinking. The Religious faction will help with this by providing a Religious minister for the departments of Education and the Interior. Education will cause students to shift their political views in favor of the Religious faction and reduce their effectiveness by 10%. Interior will cause criminals and rebels to have a 10% chance of losing their role after visiting religious buildings.

There are two new factions that emerge in the Cold War era of the game. The first is the Industrialists, who want nothing more than to turn Tropico into the best economy in the world. It doesn't matter what Industrialists have to do to achieve this goal. As long as the decision boosts the economy, Industrialists will be behind it.

Industrial-themed buildings work great here. These buildings include factories, industrial buildings, military buildings, media buildings, education buildings, tenements, garbage dumps, fire stations, power plants, automated mines, and factory ranches. Their Ultimatum is Maximum Exploitation. I

After colonies, world wars, and cold wars, players finally make it to the Modern Times era. Here we find the modern fight between Conservatives and Intellectuals. Conservatives hate anything new and different. They want to hold on to the founding principles of Tropico and its tradition and culture. They will sacrifice personal liberties for security and defense, and to keep foreigners from entering Tropico.

Out with the old, in with the new. Players waiting to ditch tradition and make way for the future will want to side with the Intellectuals. They focus on education in hopes of pushing Tropico towards a new future. They primarily oppose Conservatives, but they also take a disliking towards Militarists and the Religious faction.Any buildings that promote technology and peace will improve relations with Intellectuals.

For this reason, they enjoy buildings with high-profit margins and tools that will increase the government income while also decreasing labor costs. Buildings include banks, mansions, fast food joints, shopping malls, yacht clubs, offices, golf courses, and tourism buildings.
After the Colonial Era, four new factions will emerge in the game. The first of these is the Capitalists. As a moral opponent of Communism, Capitalists in Tropico 6 care about one thing and one thing only: money. Generating income is the primary driving force for Capitalists, and they'll reject anything if cash isn't the motivation.
Unthinking Majority wrote:Please show evidence of this nonsense claim.

It is rather obvious, really, except I would change punish into controlling all women. If social conservatives really cared about the life and welfare of small children, they wouldn't be shouting for tax cuts every other year. They want to nurture patriarchal dependency and put women back in their place.
Genesis 2
8 Now the Lord God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man he had formed. 9 The Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

10 A river watering the garden flowed from Eden; from there it was separated into four headwaters. 11 The name of the first is the Pishon; it winds through the entire land of Havilah, where there is gold. 12 (The gold of that land is good; aromatic resin[d] and onyx are also there.) 13 The name of the second river is the Gihon; it winds through the entire land of Cush.[e] 14 The name of the third river is the Tigris; it runs along the east side of Ashur. And the fourth river is the Euphrates.

15 The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. 16 And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”

18 The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”

19 Now the Lord God had formed out of the ground all the wild animals and all the birds in the sky. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. 20 So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals.

But for Adam[f] no suitable helper was found. 21 So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs[g] and then closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib[h] he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

23 The man said,

“This is now bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
she shall be called ‘woman,’
for she was taken out of man.”

24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.

25 Adam and his wife were both naked, and they felt no shame.

21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them.
Revelation 22
22 Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb 2 down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. 3 No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will serve him. 4 They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. 5 There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light. And they will reign for ever and ever.
Epilogue: Invitation and Warning
12 “Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

14 “Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city. 15 Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

16 “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you[a] this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star.”

17 The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let the one who hears say, “Come!” Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life.

18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. 19 And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll.

20 He who testifies to these things says, “Yes, I am coming soon.”

Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.

21 The grace of the Lord Jesus be with God’s people. Amen.

Pants-of-dog wrote:The USA has, in many ways, already descended to the status of a more or less corrupt and unequal country. The only real difference between the USA and some Latino country with a tinpot dictatorship s the size of the GDP.

In terms of having corrupt partisan judges who take away rights from women and other pregnant people, some developing countries are actually more progressive and advanced than the USA.

The very case that started the trial was about Mississippi wanting to change its law to make it more similar to those of European countries. The US was clearly an outlier under Roe, the only European countries with a comparable cutoff (something like viability) are Iceland and the Netherlands. All the others are more restrictive than the Roe standard.

I do wonder though, do most Americans agree with limiting abortion only to save the mother's life and rape? I don't think so, so then the next question is: Will this have an effect on the midterms?
I think about pregnancy and the sacrifices it means for a woman going through it. It is a lot of sacrifice. But the final result of holding that child and loving that child? It is worth the pain, anxiety and work involved. Nothing is more absolutely beautiful than the creation of a brand new beautiful little tiny human, who depends on you for their very existence, and who you share so much past with, and present as well. The future is a new and creative enigma with newborns.

Nothing in this world is more sacred, precious and humane and loving as the relationship between a mother and her child.

I am amazed how much influence I have with my son everyday. It is enormous. The influence is deep, lasting and permanent.

Being a parent is the most deep responsibility but the greatest joy in the world. One dies and leaves behind a child that carries your influences into an unknown future. If you are serious about parenthood? It is the most timeless, and perfect immortality in all the world.

I have an adopted son. And a biological son. Not all women or men can handle parenthood. And not all biological mothers are going to do the best job of being a mother. It depends on each individual woman.

The society needs to facilitate the choices for women. Help women raise happy, well educated, well nourished children. Who find security with the people who are up to the task of raising them. Whether they are grandparents, uncles, aunts, adoptive parents like my husband and I were, or neighbors, churches and others who have to care for kids all day. Got to make those fine people who are responsible for kids lives much easier. Being tightwads, not helping with tax breaks, and being skimpy and skinflints when it comes to spending for single parent households or non biological households of adoptive parents, etc is not helping at all.

It is easy to talk shit about you can't have an abortion it is immoral. What is truly immoral is not helping the kids that are born who are healthy, and beautiful and willing to learn and be productive in this society and then turn around and be a damn cheap and miserly crap person who won't help anyone because you value rich, wealthy, and conservative nuclear family structures. You got to stop that crap and think about the well being of the children involved. Not if they are members of the Mormon church or Pentecostals or if they are some adjective parent that fits your judgment and fire and brimstone ideal. That is foolish.
Last edited by Tainari88 on 25 Jun 2022 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
Unthinking Majority wrote:Please show evidence of this nonsense claim.

I have done so many times in this thread.

The latest one I was thinking about was the rape exception.

"Punish the sexually active woman pregnancy because it is her fault, but not when it is rape because then it is not her fault."
Scamp wrote:Riot inciting noted.

Isn't this what you buddies did on the 6th of Jan? At this point there's no moral high ground on the side of America that supports Authoritarianism like yourself.
At least each state can adjust itself to the requirements of its citizens even more, so everyone can decide if they live among ungodly fetus murderers or hypocritical bigots. Let's hope it helps the country stay together.

@Pants-of-dog
The latest one I was thinking about was the rape exception.

"Punish the sexually active woman pregnancy because it is her fault, but not when it is rape because then it is not her fault."

Well that is pretty much true now, isn't it. Every woman possesses the same two foolproof contraception methods that every man has. They can either say, "no thank you" or they can keep their pants on. Rape is quite a different thing. It might be wise at this point to point out that not every state has a rape exemption, My own Arizona does not which is logically consistent with the notion that "it" is about the life of the child and not some notion that one ought to punish naughty girls with a baby. But your comments POD beg the question...Is child support the government's attempt to punish men for being unchaste? Or are both of these things just the natural result of an individual choice?
Beren wrote:At least each state can adjust itself to the requirements of its citizens even more, so everyone can decide if they live among ungodly fetus murderers or hypocritical bigots. Let's hope it helps the country stay together.

This is only possible if each state has a population that is heavily in favor of one or the other. However, that is not true, as many states are fairly mixed up on their opinions on these issues. Couple that with the heterogeneous nature of issues and where people lives (cities versus rural), and it gets complicated.

In other words, this isn't going to help keep the country from tearing itself apart.

BTW, you have a spare room I could escape to?

The link and quote has been posted. As well as l[…]

Nobody is trying to distract from the humanitarian[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Again: nope. Putin in Feb 2022 only decided ... […]

Helping Ukraine to defeat the Russian invasion an[…]