North Korea getting ready for a big nuclear test - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties from Japan to Turkmenistan to New Zealand.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
Godstud wrote:Democracy isn't new. Authoritarianism isn't either, and the biggest failures have been from that, historically speaking, I mean.

The longest lived and most influential historical regimes have all been monarchies/authoritarian/centralized/effective dictatorships. Always. In fact representative democracies that preach freedom and promote the virtues of their 'exceptional' system abroad almost all universally employ dictatorship, authoritarianism, imperialism and militarism with which to maintain their empire abroad. No difference. In fact the situation in the homeland rises and falls with the tide of successful/unsuccessful imperialism as well. It doesn't matter what you call it, the more peoples and economies you forcefully subjugate abroad, the more prosperous and economically freeing the situation at home.

The catch all umbrella democracy you speak of arising from classical liberalism in the 18th century does not equate to Athenian democracy (where over 80% of the population was enslaved) in any way whatsoever, apart from sharing the word as a label.
At no other time in history, has humanity been so rich, and I am not speaking only of the excessively wealthy ruling class. That's thanks to Democracy.

Athenian Democracy is, of course, not the same as modern Democracies.
Godstud wrote:At no other time in history, has humanity been so rich, and I am not speaking only of the excessively wealthy ruling class. That's thanks to Democracy.

Athenian Democracy is, of course, not the same as modern Democracies.

"At no other time in history, has humanity been so rich, and I am not speaking only of the excessively wealthy ruling class. That's thanks to our insert system label here" - Some Roman senator

"At no other time in history, has humanity been so rich, and I am not speaking only of the excessively wealthy ruling class. That's thanks to our insert system label here" - Some Chinese Emperor

"At no other time in history, has humanity been so rich, and I am not speaking only of the excessively wealthy ruling class. That's thanks to our insert system label here" - Some British Slave trader

"At no other time in history, has humanity been so rich, and I am not speaking only of the excessively wealthy ruling class. That's thanks to our insert system label here" - Some Sapa Inca

"At no other time in history, has humanity been so rich, and I am not speaking only of the excessively wealthy ruling class. That's thanks to our insert system label here" - Some ancient Greek Philosopher

Do you see your myopia on full display?

You're experiencing higher material and goods 'wealth' today because of industrialization (developed during slave trade / height of imperialism and subjugation) and technological progress (due to rapid urbanization stemming from industrialization). The system is irrelevant in this instance. The Chinese have better access to goods, faster and cheaper delivery times, higher upward mobility, more material options, better construction and manufacturing- and they live in an apparent 'DICKTATER Ship'.

Do you get it now? It's all in your head. Decades of brainwashing have really done a number on you boomer.
You really are a fool, @Igor Antunov. Comparing modern society to fallen civilizations of the past is ignoring everything that has been done between then and now.

That we can even converse across the globe shows how myopic YOU are. :knife:
Communication technology, and science in general has shaped, and changed, the world. Whether or not you believe it, or not, is irrelevant. It's reality that you simply don't want to acknowledge.

As for modern technology... To people you described, modern technology would be considered magic, you Millennial fool.
Rancid wrote:Although it's true that civilzations/empires don't live forever, that is not a justification to support shithole nations. :?:

That label you assign to nations your media tells you to hate is just like, your conditioning man.

Godstud wrote:Communication technology, and science in general has shaped, and changed, the world. Whether or not you believe it, or not, is irrelevant. It's reality that you simply don't want to acknowledge.

As for modern technology... To people you described, modern technology would be considered magic, you Millennial fool.

No it would not be considered magic, like most people today, they would ask questions to understand why and how it works. Stop attributing medieval christian extremism to ancient civilizations. In fact there is some good evidence that our brains have atrophied in the past few decades due to this technology, we may be dumber than those who came before. Gen Z may be the dumbest generation in millennia.
Rancid wrote:Antunov is a total fraud. Doesn't want to move to Russia or NK.

If he doesn't move himself tip the Australian authorities off and have him deported.
Patrickov wrote:
If he doesn't move himself tip the Australian authorities off and have him deported.

That wouldn't work, that's precisely why he stay's in Australia. So he can have his cake and eat it too. Basically support authoritarianism in a country that allows him to be freer than the country he supports and doesn't want to move to.

He's a fraud and a bitch.
Rancid wrote:That wouldn't work, that's precisely why he stay's in Australia. So he can have his cake and eat it too. Basically support authoritarianism in a country that allows him to be freer than the country he supports and doesn't want to move to.

This is exactly where and why democracies are finding themselves vulnerable.

This is an example of "equality =/= fairness".
Patrickov wrote:
This is exactly where and why democracies are finding themselves vulnerable.

This is an example of "equality =/= fairness".

Agree 100%.

My opinion is, that anyone who works to undermine or subvert the principles of a democratic society, should not be afforded the protections under such a system. The problem with that statement I just made is that it can get very subjective as to what "subversion" actually is.

Now, in the case of Igor, i think he should be kicked the fuck out of Australia and sent to Russia like the imperialist scum he is, but, that's simply not going to happen. He should also be stripped of Australian citizenship if he has it.
Igor Antunov wrote:I'll take NK and Russia over whatever this is:

Children are the future of culture and society and clearly these children have no future.

Tell me this is a chopped up, fake video :knife:
The main dynamic re NK now is that it's coming to terms with the election of Yoon and his disposition towards NK. Antagonizing NK resonates with his base ... and he's in for 5 years.

I'm not in Seoul now but will be there next week so might drive up to the DMZ seeing as I'll be on summer break and haven't been up there since before Covid emerged. We have actually thought of buying an apartment in a city between north of Seoul and the border. I was going to shift some money to Korea from Australia but my wife has advised me that with Yoon calling the shots the chance of something problematic going down with NK is a distinct possibility, and we've held off for now with that in mind.
unbalanced zealot wrote:The main dynamic re NK now is that it's coming to terms with the election of Yoon and his disposition towards NK. Antagonizing NK resonates with his base ... and he's in for 5 years.

I'm not in Seoul now but will be there next week so might drive up to the DMZ seeing as I'll be on summer break and haven't been up there since before Covid emerged. We have actually thought of buying an apartment in a city between north of Seoul and the border. I was going to shift some money to Korea from Australia but my wife has advised me that with Yoon calling the shots the chance of something problematic going down with NK is a distinct possibility, and we've held off for now with that in mind.

I've only met an eclectic dialogue about going to Japan or Korea lowering my opinion of the person going because I doubt there is much to have gained to deriving ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources... I simply mean coming back with a bonsai tree wouldn't anybody think? People come back from Japan and Korea with information on what? Not that I learn Japanese. Not that I know an alphabet letter of Japanese. What would people derive from their travels , is, sure they have tourism dollars in both, Korea has the history walk and walk you through history that isn't yours.

George Bush called North Korea the "Axis of Evil" with Iraq and North korea and Iran. That would mean they invaded or agitate half of "the axis". That seems to be when President Lee (Myung-bak) (is that the same royal name as Gojong, house yi (lee) myung-bak, and everyone thought he was extreme ideologies.

Why would they let anyone at the DMZ? That meeting DMZ complex? I don't even think that place is a funny.
Godstud wrote:You really are a fool, @Igor Antunov. Comparing modern society to fallen civilizations of the past is ignoring everything that has been done between then and now.

That we can even converse across the globe shows how myopic YOU are. :knife:

Theres a number of posts like this to discuss. The major Christian group of Korea is Presbyterians. The double purpose of it does point at a Universal Church period. The heresy of Presbyter Arius. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arius Presbyter Arius made the heresy of Arianism. There are also major Presbyters of in the Church Fathers from the Greek rather than Latin origin of the Patristic Church Fathers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patristics
Some notable examples of the use of "Priest" and Presbyter in the Church Fathers of Patristic study.

Dionysius the Great (Ancient Greek: Διονύσιος Ἀλεξανδρείας) was the 14th Pope and Patriarch of Alexandria.He converted to Christianity at a mature age and discussed his conversion experience with Philemon, a presbyter of Pope Sixtus II.He supported Pope Cornelius in the controversy of 251, arising when Novatian, a learned presbyter of the Church at Rome, set up a schismatic church
During the debate with Pope Stephen and Cyprian, Dionysius supported the position of the Roman Bishop but he still supported the autonomy of the African churches.[7]

In 362, Bishop Meletius of Antioch ordained Basil as a deacon. Eusebius then summoned Basil to Caesarea and ordained him as presbyter of the Church there in 365. Ecclesiastical entreaties rather than Basil's desires thus altered his career path.[24]Basil and Gregory Nazianzus spent the next few years combating the Arian heresy, which threatened to divide Cappadocia's Christians. Basil corresponded with Pope Damasus in the hope of having his aid and encouragement against triumphant Arianism; the pope, however, cherished some degree of suspicion against the Cappadocian Doctor.[41]

While recounting his alleged dialogue with Muslims, John claims that they have accused him of idol worship for venerating the Cross and worshipping Jesus. John claims that he told the Muslims that the black stone in Mecca was the head of a statue of Aphrodite. Moreover, he claims, the Muslims were wrong not to associate Jesus with God if Jesus is the Word of God. John claims that, if Jesus is the Word of God, and the Word of God has always existed with God, then the Word must be a part of God, and therefore be God himself, whereby, John says, it would be wrong for Muslims to call Jesus the Word of God but not God himself.[47]

John ends the chapter quickly by claiming that Islam permits polygamy, that Mohammad committed adultery with a companion's wife before outlawing adultery, and that the Quran is filled with ridiculous stories, such as the She-Camel of God and God giving Jesus an "incorruptible table."[47]

Gennadius was a presbyter at Constantinople when he succeeded Anatolius in 458 as the Bishop of Constantinople.[3] From the beginning of his episcopate Gennadius proved his zeal for the Christian faith and the maintenance of discipline. His discretion was before long tested.[4]Measures had been taken against simony, the buying and selling of holy orders, by the Council of Chalcedon. It seems not later than 459, Gennadius celebrated a great council of 81 bishops, many of whom were from the East and even from Egypt...

It seems clear to me that anyone can see the division of Christians to tribalism and locality and yokel sentiment has a clear date to it after defeating Presbyter Arians heresy would be the Chalcedonian settlements displayed here, or as easily called Chalcedonian or Presbyter or Reformed or Nicene. It is clear to most searching for it that Christians together . It is based on denominations and naming. The Catholic leader and Orthodox leader similarly excommunicate each other and call themselves not the Church. Clearly John Calvin and John Knox and the Reformation that is Presbyterian also clearly leaves tribalism and locality for the Universal Church.

One should naturally ask what happened to the Byzantines then? That name is used to describe the Greek Empire with a Roman heritage. Naturally, they felt they were an integral part of something that wasn't nearly as integral as they expected. Venice is a Republic meaning democratic but they sacked and horded the gold of Constantinople instead of helping when Constantinople wrote Rome for help against the Turkish. The Turkish nomads and horde are the concern but somehow receive no distinction from the rest of the Muslims or Arab world in the Pope's Crusades or sacking Constantinople. The raiding of anatolia and the heartlands of the Byzantines is accomplished and is stunning and rapid and the Greeks themselves are left with a joke of an unacceptable homeland today you notice.

An Empire still carries a connotation of being above consultation, out of hearing, without peer, in my diagnosis of history. Perhaps having left the Church. The Byzantine Emperor wishes to wield the power of Caesar. The Varangian Guard (Greek: Τάγμα τῶν Βαράγγων, Tágma tōn Varángōn) was an elite unit of the Byzantine Army from the tenth to the fourteenth century. The members served as personal bodyguards to the Byzantine emperors. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangian_Guard

Throughout its existence, the Byzantine Empire had a reputation both for decadence and for intricate intrigues and powerplays. Even today, the term “byzantine politics” is used to mean overly complicated and involved power structures, where a large number of shifting alliances must be respected, and the penalty for failure can be severe.

Rome and Constantinople were the largest advanced and most visited and cosmopolitan cities of Europe for the first 1,200 years after Christ's death. A Bulgarian or an Armenian is a more distanced and ceremonial nationality to a Greek than say a Scotsman to an Englishman. All the Arabs were oppressed by the "Civilized" and Islam is such a riot against the Byzantines that the Quran has prophecized and predicted the greatness of the man who would sack Constantinople, so it was a holy work to be completed as the map usually reflects. The Byzantines and the Pope never worked out and essentially the Greeks excelled on their control of the trade of Constantinople. Russia does not rely on the Greeks in Orthodoxy. In Orthodoxy , Russia has called itself the heirs of the Byzantines. The Russian Empire. Greek appears to be a lonely language to speak, such as "presbyters". Yet with implications to where Christians are just so, Christians.
Godstud wrote:@Mike12 Blah blah blah. You are off-topic, AGAIN.

I guess they are more talking about historical democracies and dictatorships . I don't think there is a mode of governance exclusive to any timeperiod whatsoever. What is the quickest turn-around of importancei nthe world? Like Rome had a King that tiny city had a King, in 500 BC. They instituted the Roman Republic and expanded throughout Italy by 400 to 200 BC. And Julius Caesar didn't like his post in France and crossed back in Italy to become Emperor General over the forces of the Senate. So they start with Roman King, Roman Senate, Roman Emperor, well whatever then.

Yes, we know you believe Amit Soussana is a liar ([…]

Do you get paid a certain amount of money for ev[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

^ I shared the Sachs and Meirsheimer videos in her[…]

Hmmm, it the Ukraine aid package is all over mains[…]