Why do non Americans fear or hate the fact that Americans have the guns? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
^

The M855A1 Enhanced Performance Round (EPR) can penetrate concrete masonry units at ranges out to 80 meters with the M16 and 40 meters with the M4. The M855 can't penetrate this type of battlefield barrier at any range.

:)
As there are no border controls between states, then it’s not possibly to have strong gun control laws in individual states. They do the best they can, but it’s not enough.

I think the saddest story I heard was of a family who bought their only child a rifle for his 12th birthday and let him go out hunting with it on his own. It’s thought he tripped over a tree root and accidentally shot himself. His parents were heartbroken, obviously. The father was angry with the gun manufacturer because he claimed it shouldn’t have been possible for the gun to fire accidentally. He demonstrated by banging the rifle on the floor and setting it off. The mother was just heartbroken. She said she thought maybe he was too young to have the responsibility.

It seems utterly insane to me that anyone would think it a good idea to buy a deadly weapon for a child and let him go out with it, but they were a nice family. Just ordinary. They really believed it was a good present for their boy.

That kind of mindset isn’t going to change.
@snapdragon

I don't think the father has a legal leg to stand on.

The first page of the operating manual will tell you that you cannot rely on the mechanical safety and you must remove a round from the chamber of any firearm when moving from blind to blind.

The exception to the rule.

With a break action shotgun or rifle, you can get away with opening the action
I am not an American, but it appears, looking at the US laws for minors and firearms, that a 12-year-old should only be carrying a rifle when under the supervision of a responsible adult.

If that's the case, couldn't the father be brought up on charges of endangering his child?

:eh:
wat0n wrote:I sometimes wonder, if the US is so much into guns, why not just teach about gun use and safety in school? Make it part of the state curriculum...

This was common in the past. Many high schools did in fact have shooting classes.

Question is, society is very different now than before. How to you make sure some sort of troubled male doesn't just turn the gun on his classmates?
wat0n wrote:
Well, the instructors (and students) would be armed too, wouldn't they? :?:

Sure, but said unhinged student could certainly take out 1,2 other kids before the rest turn around and return fire no? Someone can still die. You ever been to a shooting range? You really could just take out the guy in the lane next to you if you wanted to. It won't end well for you afterwards, but you could take at least someone down with you, so to speak.

Anyway, I'm all for this kind of education, but I feel like something about or society is creating unhinged young males, so it would be good to investigate and address that.
wat0n wrote:The type I recall you were in favor of - catching the kids at risk of becoming school shooters.

The screening I mentioned does not exist in the vast majority of schools.

Do you mean that schools would be forced to use school psychologists and social workers instead of cops if you armed all the kids knowing there is a risk of one or more kids shooting their classmates?

That is a very grisly proposal.
Pants-of-dog wrote:The screening I mentioned does not exist in the vast majority of schools.

Do you mean that schools would be forced to use school psychologists and social workers instead of cops if you armed all the kids knowing there is a risk of one or more kids shooting their classmates?

That is a very grisly proposal.

Yes, actually.

It's up to the states, of course, but you can't deny it's odd to have such a gun-loving society and not teaching kids how to use them at school. I don't think most states even require prospective buyers to prove they know how to use guns.
Pants-of-dog wrote:The grisly part is where you deliberately set up a high probability of mass murders as a way of forcing them to do something.

Instead of merely kicking cops out of school and using the liberated funding to put screening in place.

I agree it's grisly.

I would not kick cops out of all schools. There are schools that legitimately need them, not to deal with mass shooters, but to deal with the far more common gun incidents at schools which involve gangs.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Are people on this thread actually trying to argu[…]

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]