JINO, judge in name only - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

All general discussion about politics that doesn't belong in any of the other forums.

Moderator: PoFo Political Circus Mods

By late
"Now begins the era of stare indecisis.

Respect for precedent — known by the Latin stare decisis, “to stand by things decided” — had been a centuries-old cornerstone of the rule of law, necessary so “the scale of justice” doesn’t “waver with every new judge’s opinion,” as the 18th-century legal philosopher William Blackstone wrote.

The dissenting justices wrote that “the majority abandons stare decisis,” an act that “threatens to upend bedrock legal doctrines,” “creates profound legal instability” and “calls into question this Court’s commitment to legal principle.”

The burial of stare decisis leaves us, ipso facto, with a void: Which Latin phrase best describes the legal doctrine of this new era, in which judges rule by whim, not precedent? Well, thank your lucky stares, because my classics consultant, Vanessa (she asked that her surname not be used in order to speak Latin frankly), has many options.

Labels such as “judicial modesty,” “judicial restraint” and “originalism” were trashed along with stare decisis. For this radical majority to claim “restraint” now would be the very definition of stare mendaciis — to stand by lies. Other better labels for the court majority’s new philosophy are stare deviis (to stand by inconsistent things), or perhaps stare fetore (to stand by a foul odor), in honor of the question Justice Sonia Sotomayor posed during oral arguments: “Will this institution survive the stench that this creates?”

But maybe most accurate is stare sodalitate — to stand by your political party. To the Romans, this meant either “electioneering gang” or “religious fraternity,” both apt descriptions of this court’s right wing.

The court’s recent rulings invite many other Latin descriptors: stare atrocitate (to stand by cruelty), stare decuriatione (to stand by intimidation), stare deminutione capitis (to stand by the loss of liberties). But ultimately a court that has abandoned precedent stands for nothing (stare nullis) except the raw exercise of power — stare imperio. And that leads to one place: stare ruina, to stand by destruction."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... dent-dead/

Or, as I put it, the road to hell. I had been calling those so called judges lying political hacks. I am beginning to realise they are much, much worse than that.
So, you see the stripping of Roe vs Wade as some kind of ‘slippery slope’ downward in the loss to other liberties? Well congratulations, that’s exactly how ‘anti Vaxxers’ and second amendment worshipers feel too.
Yes, according to OP, we should still be living by decisons such as Dred Scott, Korematsu, and Plessy v. Ferguson...because... uh... stare decisis.

Brilliant! :roll:
Continuity is pretty important. The problem is, there hasn’t been any for a very long time and everything is a bit unstable. The very definition of civil society has been upended.
ness31 wrote:Continuity is pretty important. The problem is, there hasn’t been any for a very long time and everything is a bit unstable. The very definition of civil society has been upended.

chya'll knew HOW to BRING BACK Civil Society. Check out dem anti-social Joodges. We'all democratic-like get to make 'em SQUEAL. I got the perfect idea. They all ANTI SOCIABLES. Thats when we make E'm SQUUEAL like PGLIETS With Duke Governor George Wallace, elect him uber-Governor! We gets him to catch 'em by he tails like muskrats, or possum. CATCH them JUDGES by the tail like POSSUM! George Wallace is a MAN! George Wallace is a MAN That can do it! He's from down Alabam a Freeman. We're the Freemen!
Mike12 wrote:chya'll knew HOW to BRING BACK Civil Society. Check out dem anti-social Joodges. We'all democratic-like get to make 'em SQUEAL. I got the perfect idea. They all ANTI SOCIABLES. Thats when we make E'm SQUUEAL like PGLIETS With Duke Governor George Wallace, elect him uber-Governor! We gets him to catch 'em by he tails like muskrats, or possum. CATCH them JUDGES by the tail like POSSUM! George Wallace is a MAN! George Wallace is a MAN That can do it! He's from down Alabam a Freeman. We're the Freemen!

@Mike12, can you hook me up with your dealer? Whatever you’re on, I want some of it! :excited:
Potemkin wrote:@Mike12, can you hook me up with your dealer? Whatever you’re on, I want some of it! :excited:

you like the choo? No sir, find i like it too much. sit down colonel. it is not alone the destruction of our property. it is arnarchy . total loss of free and responsible government on this continent. if i had my way no bacco chew, no more than the redskins show dem troopers. black flag em sir. the only way to bring boozer back to their sensibles. rapidly end the bonnie.
Mike12 wrote:you like the choo? No sir, find i like it too much. sit down colonel. it is not alone the destruction of our property. it is arnarchy . total loss of free and responsible government on this continent. if i had my way no bacco chew, no more than the redskins show dem troopers. black flag em sir. the only way to bring boozer back to their sensibles. rapidly end the bonnie.

Awesome. :smokin:
BlutoSays wrote:
Yes, according to OP, we should still be living by decisons such as Dred Scott, Korematsu, and Plessy v. Ferguson...because... uh... stare decisis.

Brilliant!

You should stick to parroting propaganda.

Let's take the racist decisions, as an example. The country was founded using the principles of the Enlightenment. Google it. That's where the ideas of freedom and equality came from. You simply can't have a free country and have slavery at the same time.

The courts are there to balance competing rights and interests. Once you stop denying the humanity of Black people, you have all the justification you need to overturn decisions like Dredd Scott.

The radicals on the court now don't follow the rules of jurisprudence, or the values on which the Republic was founded, or even our real history.
By late
ness31 wrote:
So, you see the stripping of Roe vs Wade as some kind of ‘slippery slope’ downward in the loss to other liberties? Well congratulations, that’s exactly how ‘anti Vaxxers’ and second amendment worshipers feel too.

There's over a dozen decisions, and it's not about feelings.

Puffer Fish, as a senior (and olde) member of this[…]

1 The great settlement withdrawal that Israelis […]

As someone that pays very close attention to Amer[…]

I (still) have a dream

...Kids don't need to drive anywhere to play with[…]