Newsom Goes After Republicans and DeSantis - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues and parties in the USA and Canada.

Moderator: PoFo North America Mods

Forum rules: No one line posts please.
California's Governor Gavin Newsom has gone after Republicans and DeSantis in attack ads. I think he is doing a good job. I think Newsom nails it in how you have to fight the Republicans politically today.

Dean Obeidallah of CNN wrote:We saw the extent of this extremism when Roe v. Wade was overturned last week by the conservative majority on the Supreme Court, emboldening various states to usher in draconian abortion restrictions as well as outright abortion bans.

One of the most barbaric examples of this extreme new reality came to light on Friday, when it was reported that a 10-year-old girl in Ohio who became pregnant after being raped was not being permitted to have an abortion under that state’s newly-implemented law that forbade the termination of any pregnancy after six weeks.

The child – who had missed Ohio’s cut-off by just three days – was compelled to travel to a neighboring state to have the abortion, according to the Indianapolis Star in Indiana, where the abortion was ultimately performed.

In response to this news story, Newsom – once again taking the fight to the GOP – tweeted, “The Republican Party platform: Government mandated pregnancies for 10-year-olds.”

The most common complaint I’ve heard from left-leaning listeners to my SiriusXM show over the past year is that Democratic elected officials are not fighters. Obviously, there are exceptions to that criticism. But in his recent remarks Newsom acknowledged this sentiment, recently telling CNN: “The success of the right to define the terms of the debate, the success of the right to dominate the narrative … they’re winning in ways that are alarming to me.” He added, “You’ve got to take the fight to them.”

That explains the California governor’s fiery words to CNN in which he called DeSantis a bully, a fraud, an authoritarian and a fake conservative, among other things.

Newsom’s criticism of DeSantis is even more notable given recent reports that some Trump megadonors are now supporting DeSantis for the 2024 GOP presidential nomination, following blockbuster revelations that have emerged during the January 6 committee hearings implicating Trump’s possible direct involvement in efforts to overturn the 2020 election and even his alleged actions enabling the violent January 6 attack.

Some speculate that Newsom might be eying a run himself in 2024 if President Biden doesn’t seek re-election, just as DeSantis is believed to be planning a White House bid. But Newsom has drawn a sharp contrast between himself and the Florida governor, declaring: “We’re as different as daylight and darkness.”

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/03/opinions ... index.html

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]