My 2 cents on China - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Political issues in the People's Republic of China.

Moderator: PoFo Asia & Australasia Mods

Forum rules: No one-line posts please. This is an international political discussion forum moderated in English, so please post in English only. Thank you.
By late
Since 1979, China had this policy, 'One Country, Two Systems. It was goofy, but it worked. Everybody pretended Taiwan wasn't independent, but of course it was.

Xi killed it.

What is likely to have happened here was that we needed to know how serious Xi was. Sending Pelosi was a test. She isn't part of the White House or the Dipcorp, so the administration had all options open about how to respond to whatever China did.

From our POV, Xi failed the test.

The strategic ambiguity of the past is gone. So now we have to build a new policy, and a new way to structure our forces in the region. You see, we challenged their credibility, and they may challenge ours. Now that we've pissed Xi, we need to be ready if he does something really stupid.

None of this was necessary. The smart move by xi would have been to ignore it, or downplay it.

But that's not where we are. A massive military exercise takes months of planning. They didn't just throw that together over the weekend. They were all ready, and just waiting for the right moment.

The administration was already talking about selling more weapons to Taiwan. That caught my attention when it happened, almost exactly a year ago.

It's a bit like chess.
By Patrickov
Xi is just a bratty peasant from the backward areas of China.

Yes he's a victim of Mao, but putting him in this position means that Chinese are beyond redemption.

I won't give a damn if your country takes up the responsibility and conquer China for the world's sake. Just give me a quick one when the time comes.

They have to lose this chess.
By Rancid
Agree, and this bizarre rewriting of words/terms that China supports staus quo on Taiwan by some of our pofoers here, is basically bullshit. These are a bunch of weasel fakers dickless bitches. We know who they are, and they know who they are.

China/Xi, clearly does not support status quo on Taiwan. Actions speak louder than words as they say.
Last edited by Rancid on 07 Aug 2022 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
China and the US are both trying to advance their own interests re: Taiwan.

Similarities to South Korea, Vietnam, and Ukraine.

So domino b theory also in play. This isn't just about Taiwan. How the US and China behave on Taiwan will show the other how they will behave in future kinds of disputes. A tough stance will act as a deterrent in other situations in the future.
By Rancid
Sandzak wrote:Taiwan shows that a better system is possible in the Chinese culture, therefore it is so dangerous for the CCP.

Indeed, but just about anything is a threat to the CCP, hence their authoritarian inclinations. EVen little old Hong Kong was a threat that made the CCP pee their pants.
Last edited by Rancid on 07 Aug 2022 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
China has the potential to do great evil because as a dictatorship there's nobody to keep them in check. In the US at least the citizens can bounce a government that makes poor decisions. If Trump was China's leader he could be leader for life.

If China put immigrant kids in cages on its southern border or tortured Muslim terrorists Chinese citizens would be powerless to stop them.

The only weapon the world has to put a check on China is either sanctions or war, and both would be bad for everyone.

A government that's accountable to its people is at least accountable to someone.
By Rancid
Unthinking Majority wrote:China has the potential to do great evil because as a dictatorship there's nobody to keep them in check. In the US at least the citizens can bounce a government that makes poor decisions. If Trump was China's leader he could be leader for life.

If China put immigrant kids in cages on its southern border or tortured Muslim terrorists Chinese citizens would be powerless to stop them.

The only weapon the world has to put a check on China is either sanctions or war, and both would be bad for everyone.

A government that's accountable to its people is at least accountable to someone.

Of course, and this is why Trump like Putin and other authoritarians.

Hopefully Trump dies.
I really like Taiwan. I've only ever spent time in Taipei but I like it a lot.

The only way I see Taiwan rejoining great China without conflict is if China transitioned to some form of federalist state, with Iran style paramount authority from the CCP.

BTW: the ushering out of Hu Jintao was full on. But in my opinion: f*** Hu Jintao (figuratively speaking) and Wen Jb for that matter. His time overseeing a corruption friendly capitalist free-for-all partly created some of the mess Xi inherited. Evergrande being an example of the get-rich-quick-ism of the HJt era.
Just adding to this ... I was looking over Bloomberg data related to Chinese housing, and it really points to a mess born out of a speculative frenzy under HJt. This is a mess that Xi needs to clean up. That's probably what Xi said to him as he was being ushered out.

I think my 2 cents on China is it will be interesting to see how Xi's 3rd term plays out. At this point I'm looking at it from a glass half full perspective.

@FiveofSwords On e again, you fail to provide […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'm just free flowing thought here: I'm trying t[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

…. the left puts on the gas pedal and the right […]

@QatzelOk DeSantis got rid of a book showing chi[…]