Turkey Drops Opposition to Finland and Sweden Joining NATO - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Talk about what you've seen in the news today.

Moderator: PoFo Today's News Mods

#15236452
F-16 sales have to go through Congress for approval and cannot be sold while Turkey points her weapons at fellow NATO allies.

Last time Biden asked Congress to sell F-16's to Turkey was in January or February this year and his request was rejected with bipartisan support.

As Bob Menendez has repeatedly said, he will approve weapon sales to Turkey only when Turkey becomes an actual ally and that entails allowing western ships through the Straits as well as seizing all threats and provocations against fellow NATO allies.

It doesn't seem like it's happening anytime soon but who knows.

Erdogan backed down on Finland and Sweden without getting anything and why would he get something anyway?

Why should the US or anybody really pay Turkey to act like a NATO ally?
#15236453
late wrote:Maybe.

But I doubt it, there was a quid pro quo for us, as well.

People see too much into this NATO expansion, although it barely changes anything unless it'll be followed by massive NATO militarisation in the region, which is rather unlikely.
#15236454
Beren wrote:
People see too much into this NATO expansion, although it barely changes anything unless it'll be followed by massive NATO militarisation in the region, which is rather unlikely.



Negotiation, at this level, is always done in private, and it's usually a lot harder and more complicated, than people think.
#15236456
late wrote:Negotiation, at this level, is always done in private, and it's usually a lot harder and more complicated, than people think.

It's not so hard to see that the Baltic region is not exactly a hot spot, even the Baltic states could join NATO without much ruckus. Russia's concerned with Ukraine so much partly because it's vulnerable in the south, while the north is stable and rather peripheral.
Last edited by Beren on 01 Jul 2022 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
#15236457
Beren wrote:People see too much into this NATO expansion, although it barely changes anything unless it'll be followed by massive NATO militarisation in the region, which is rather unlikely.


It is more than the expansion, which is largely symbolic given how integrated Sweden and Finland already are in the military alliance. The relevant parts are increased defence spending and enlarged troop readiness for immediate deployment. Stoltenberg has been talking about raising it from 40k to 300k, not a small incremental raise exactly.
#15236460
MadMonk wrote:It is more than the expansion, which is largely symbolic given how integrated Sweden and Finland already are in the military alliance. The relevant parts are increased defence spending and enlarged troop readiness for immediate deployment. Stoltenberg has been talking about raising it from 40k to 300k, not a small incremental raise exactly.

Russia would be rather concerned if massive NATO infrastructure appeared in Sweden or especially Finland.
#15236813
Patrickov wrote:Congratulations on your country choosing the correct side, although I have to say your country is bound to profit either way.

It is very important for all members to trust each other. No Nato member should put an embargo on another one. The US had to rethink Turkey's position after Russian aggression. I can tell you that Turkey is a much more valuable member of NATO now than say 4 months ago.

Turkey needs those American military equipment and technology transfers. We need F-35s urgently.
#15236824
Istanbuller wrote:It is very important for all members to trust each other. No Nato member should put an embargo on another one. The US had to rethink Turkey's position after Russian aggression. I can tell you that Turkey is a much more valuable member of NATO now than say 4 months ago.

Turkey needs those American military equipment and technology transfers. We need F-35s urgently.



Turkey seems to be hot and cold. That's not a trustworthy position with classified and military systems. R&D is difficult enough without weapons and specs flying out the window because of short term thinking.
#15242734
Rancid wrote:I wonder what did Sweden and Finland promise to Turkey around the PKK?

Are we going to see crack downs in Sweden/Finland?



impossible , some pkk figures have left S&F and this is it. some weapons T. will get as well and this is it
#15242742
Sandzak wrote:@Mike12 You spam the forum. Change your dealer, the stuff you consume is of low quality :hippy:

Turkey did not get F-35s.

Finland is a predominantly Christian nation where 66.6% of the Finnish population of 5.5 million are members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland.
The Lutheran Church of Sweden was formed and remained the official religion of the Christian state until the turn of the 21st century.Evangelical Lutheran Church of Sweden (55.2%)

Are you a normal. what an a-hole. what I say?

"Presbyterian Church of Finland at Presbyterian Church of Sweden . unless.. you're a Romanist. The Call of Macedon(Greece)!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyter ... ted_States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyter ... h_of_Korea



look its a pcusa hippy.
Image
#15242755
litwin wrote:https://youtu.be/H4uLLSuUeDc

What a stupid video. Does this guy have learning difficulties? the Soviet Union was communist while Finland had relatively free markets, private property rights a mixed economy and democracy. There may also have been ethno-cultural differences that contributed to the difference in outcomes for Finland and north western Russia.

The post Soviet Russia vs Ukraine comparison is completely different. Ukraine has done worse than both Russia and Belarus. Ukraine's post Khrushchev borders were a recipe for disaster. Did the great Stephan Bandera ever suggest that he wanted to include the Donbas and Crimea in his independent Ukraine? As for the Winter War, of course Finland would have better off accepting Stalin's demands.
#15242757
Rich wrote:
The post Soviet Russia vs Ukraine comparison is completely different. 1) Ukraine has done worse than both Russia and Belarus. Ukraine's post Khrushchev (2) borders were a recipe for disaster. Did the great Stephan Bandera (3) ever suggest that he wanted to include the Donbas and Crimea in his independent Ukraine? As for the Winter War, of course Finland would have better (4) off accepting Stalin's demands.

1) wrong, ask the horde´s "solders "

Image

2) RT.ru myth, try with google

3) was a 20c Philosopher , 0 connection to UR in 2022

4) no, just ask Baltics , Estonia was wealthier than Finland before it "accepting Stalin's demands"
#15242858
litwin wrote:4) no, just ask Baltics , Estonia was wealthier than Finland before it "accepting Stalin's demands"

Why would I need to ask that question. Estonia would be no wealthier if it had refused Stalin's demands. It might well be poorer. Finland was stupid to refuse Stalin's initial demands. He asked to exchange territory,. Finland ended up significantly worse off from fighting the Winter War. Sadly there was a Communist fellow traveler FDR in the White House. This meant meaningful resistance to Stalin could only be achieved through a Nazi victory. Mannerheim messed up again 1941. He should either have gone all in for a Nazi victory or stayed out of the conflict completely instead of hedging his bets. This is why Stephan Bandera is so so respected in Western Ukraine. He had the wisdom to realise that fighting Hitler would be utterly futile in terms of achieving an independent Ukraine free from Communist and Polish control.
#15242873
Rich wrote:Why would I need to ask that question. Estonia would be no wealthier if it had refused Stalin's demands. It might well be poorer. Finland was stupid to refuse Stalin's initial demands. ...



keep working for pootler and his dirty mongol ulus , are you ivan, right ?


still:
Attachments
Screen shot 2017-04-02 at 3.14.03 PM.png

Shut the fuck up minions bitch. @BlutoSays s[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

@ingliz is cunting for Putin harder than Igor. […]

Can't make this S#i+ up!!! Joliet police arrest[…]

Electric cars in China

They will not work in the U.S. You will have to c[…]